Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2020 3:18 PM
Jan 2015
The OP is a bad-sounding rip-off of the song "赫色 -akairo-" by the same band (CIVILIAN) that they used a few years ago for the second OP of Shoukoku no Altair (Altair: A Record of Battles). It's an almost 1:1 copy of the music used, except just barely changed and sounding worse than the original (which was actually decent).
Jul 11, 2020 4:51 PM

Dec 2016
Do you have comparison?
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.85/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jul 11, 2020 5:29 PM
Jan 2015
Nieznajomy43 said:
Do you have comparison?

Here is a link to Shoukoku no Altair OP2 (r/AnimeThemes post). Click the play arrow box under the post name for the TV size OP2 video to play.

Here is a YouTube video for the OP of The Misfit of Demon King Academy:

Jul 11, 2020 5:38 PM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
I haven't watched Shoukoku no Altair but I also recognized the song as sounding similar to something I'd previously listened to. I can't remember from where exactly, but I think a lot of fantasy school/isekai openings have similar themes in them.
Jul 11, 2020 5:44 PM
Jan 2015
isuzusan said:
I haven't watched Shoukoku no Altair but I also recognized the song as sounding similar to something I'd previously listened to. I can't remember from where exactly, but I think a lot of fantasy school/isekai openings have similar themes in them.

Sure, but I'm saying that the band/singer copied their own song, made a few small changes and submitted it as a new song. It's appalling and unethical. Even Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets aren't this bad (look them up on MAL and check out their anime songs if you want a comparison in same-sounding music made by the band)!
Jul 11, 2020 5:51 PM

Dec 2016
CommanderEverest said:
Nieznajomy43 said:
Do you have comparison?

Here is a link to Shoukoku no Altair OP2 (r/AnimeThemes post). Click the play arrow box under the post name for the TV size OP2 video to play.

Here is a YouTube video for the OP of The Misfit of Demon King Academy:

Interesting....
most interesting is the fact that I can't find song -akairo- on internet and also the fact that was made by the same band. I don't think this is Rip-off (especially since I can't compare both lyrics) but definitely something else something related to japanese legal system.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.85/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jul 11, 2020 6:48 PM

Feb 2014
CommanderEverest said:
The OP is a bad-sounding rip-off of the song "赫色 -akairo-" by the same band (CIVILIAN) that they used a few years ago for the second OP of Shoukoku no Altair (Altair: A Record of Battles). It's an almost 1:1 copy of the music used, except just barely changed and sounding worse than the original (which was actually decent).

I don't think it's a rip-off. The tune is just something that's specific to the band. Like how we know it's Sawano or Yuki Kaijura's tune just from the beats.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 12, 2020 9:30 PM
Oct 2016
same thoughts...and I think akairo is better imo
Jul 12, 2020 10:12 PM
Jan 2015
Edgi_Meloetta said:
same thoughts...and I think akairo is better imo

Also prefer akairo over the Maou Gakuin version.
Jul 12, 2020 10:37 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Misleading thread title. It can't be call a it rip off if they re-use the same style for their own song. Just like you can't say Uverworld or GRANRODEO rip off their own song.

They just have bad music composer who can't come up with new things.
Jul 12, 2020 11:00 PM
Jan 2015
xkazutox said:
Misleading thread title. It can't be call a it rip off if they re-use the same style for their own song. Just like you can't say Uverworld or GRANRODEO rip off their own song.

They just have bad music composer who can't come up with new things.

I get what you're saying, but there's a huge difference between a band having a certain sound/style to their music and a near 1:1 copy of a previous song.
Jul 12, 2020 11:13 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
@CommanderEverest
Can you breakdown what is it that is 1:1?

I tried playing both of the 1:30 song at the same time >.>

not a fan for both of the songs so I haven't trouble telling what is the same
Jul 13, 2020 10:05 AM
Jan 2015
xkazutox said:
@CommanderEverest
Can you breakdown what is it that is 1:1?

I tried playing both of the 1:30 song at the same time >.>

not a fan for both of the songs so I haven't trouble telling what is the same

The music and vocals sound incredibly similar for both songs, which were made by the same band and released a few years apart from each other. If you start Altair OP2 around 7-8 seconds before starting Maou Gakuin OP and play them together, they have an almost identical sound to them as far as background music goes. Vocals also sound fairly similar, though obviously the lyrics are different. They are slightly different in that they extend or shorten certain sections of the songs, but they otherwise sound almost 1:1.
Jul 13, 2020 10:53 AM
Jun 2015
interesting fact and i can understand why you compare it to old Opening from same singer. i think it is singer mistake to not check their old song about it unless it is their own style moreover maou gakuin OP it is more like degradation ver from akairo
Jul 17, 2020 11:21 AM
Dec 2018
To be honest, I do see the similarities in structure and some lyrics and style but I wouldn't call this song a ripoff of the other. They both sound mostly different.
Jul 19, 2020 11:06 PM

May 2015
Sounds uncanny but quite different. I prefer akairo better than this one.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Jul 23, 2020 8:55 AM

May 2009
If it same band there is no legal problem
Jul 24, 2020 6:53 AM
May 2020
Dont Care Because Eleanor is a Goddess
Jul 24, 2020 7:43 AM
Jun 2020
Nice OP. Now sue them.
Jul 24, 2020 7:56 AM

May 2015
Am I the only one who can't tell how it's a "1:1 copy"?

Jul 24, 2020 11:30 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
They sound similar, because its the same band, with the same style.

Calling something a ripoff has to actually have real musical basis, of which you have none.
Jul 25, 2020 10:12 AM
Aug 2017
I don't really see the 1:1 thing, they just sound somewhat similar to me, and being the same artist it's something to be expected.
Jul 25, 2020 11:03 AM
Feb 2018
I think what you're referring to is a similar song structure. There are a lot of songs in history that share '1:1' structures that are much more apparent than this. On top of that, it's the same band using the same style. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for the lyrics, I'd recommend looking up lyric videos of both songs on YouTube because you'll see that the themes of both songs are even completely different. On top of that, the build up to each chorus is very distinctly different. Both the verse and chorus do sound similar, but even they both have different flows to them.

There are many things to consider before you can judge a song as a 'rip-off'. Not to mention, this is all by the same artist anyways, so they're not really ripping anyone off.
Jul 25, 2020 1:01 PM
Sep 2019
CommanderEverest said:

Delete this topic
Aug 2, 2020 5:21 AM
Oct 2012
Let me tell you then that i can't tell how to differentiate fripside songs, especially their railgun songs. The same goes for fhana, ali project, angela, nano.ripe, that yuki yuna s1 s2 op song singer, and much more anisong singers

edit : lets not forget about claris' step, click, and irony
Aug 2, 2020 5:45 AM

Apr 2016
It's not a rip-off it's jus tthat the band used the same "formula" to make both songs. It's pretty common in the music industry and you can call that "sticking to your guns" or "own style" if you want too.

It is here quite obvious that they follow a similar pattern but seriously, if you listen more music and study artist discography, you'll find most of the time similar sounding or similarly built works and that's also true if you compare artists from the same music field.
Aug 2, 2020 8:19 AM
Jan 2018
I'm getting Déjà vu from this thread

More topics from this board

» Finally a protagonist who....

Sch4n - Apr 30

28 by Uruichi »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 26, 2020

280 by alexandrepv »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2020

115 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2020

123 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2020

122 by PrimeX »»
Feb 19, 4:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.