Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2020 12:05 AM

Aug 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just like with the fox, the priestess starts out by saying she can't do anything to save the bird. The store owner really poisoned the little monk boy and the baby fox just to force her hand, damn. Ruthless, but understandable.

I wonder what that huge snake spirit's relation to the little boy is? His guardian spirit? Something to do with why he was abandoned as a baby? I guess we'll find out later in the story.

Of course the priestess quickly gave in and agreed to help the bird. The way she talks may be callous but her actions ultimately show her true self. Her method of revealing her patient's past is pretty visually interesting. But the show reused the animation sequence from the fox so she pulls on the exact same thread. I feel like that should have been switched up.

The bird only ever wanted to bring people happiness, but he didn't realize just how horrible people can be when money's at stake. That's why he ended up taking residence at a poor family's house - to see where true happiness comes from. Unfortunately, the woman's son became so focused on earning money that he spent less and less time with his mom. So even though their financial situation improved and their house was renovated, she became less happy. He even used origami his mom made to wipe his shoe :( Then he went and joined the army in hopes of more glory, only to lose his life. The bird realized that money can't bring happiness. Even the neighbour, who bragged about how well her son was doing, was secretly sad and neglected. The bird merged found the son's body on the battlefield, and merged with it to return to his mother. Cool to have this backstory after the last episode. But that magic was too taxing, which is why he's dying now.

The bird was saved, and just like the fox, the cost is promising the priestess one body part for her to use as medicine some time in the future. But I have a feeling that "contract" is just a pretense for her to hide her true kindness behind a facade of "just doing business". I don't think she would ever actually claim their body parts, at least not while they're still alive. The store owner tries to pretend that he only wanted the bird saved so he could get gold, but the priestess calls out his lie since he clearly cares about the bird. Then the store owner says "I didn't expect someone like you to care about other's lives". Just back and forth pot calling the kettle black, hmmm? What a bunch of lovable dorks.

Then in the ending scene we see that the couple that the store owner kicked out last episode is putting on a show mourning a lost mom in public. So he probably kicked them out for being ungrateful towards her in life. I think the show will do this a lot - introduce a character as sinister before revealing that they are a cinnamon roll through and through.
Jun 30, 2020 12:17 AM
Mar 2018
whither said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just like with the fox, the priestess starts out by saying she can't do anything to save the bird. The store owner really poisoned the little monk boy and the baby fox just to force her hand, damn. Ruthless, but understandable.

I wonder what that huge snake spirit's relation to the little boy is? His guardian spirit? Something to do with why he was abandoned as a baby? I guess we'll find out later in the story.

Of course the priestess quickly gave in and agreed to help the bird. The way she talks may be callous but her actions ultimately show her true self. Her method of revealing her patient's past is pretty visually interesting. But the show reused the animation sequence from the fox so she pulls on the exact same thread. I feel like that should have been switched up.

The bird only ever wanted to bring people happiness, but he didn't realize just how horrible people can be when money's at stake. That's why he ended up taking residence at a poor family's house - to see where true happiness comes from. Unfortunately, the woman's son became so focused on earning money that he spent less and less time with his mom. So even though their financial situation improved and their house was renovated, she became less happy. He even used origami his mom made to wipe his shoe :( Then he went and joined the army in hopes of more glory, only to lose his life. The bird realized that money can't bring happiness. Even the neighbour, who bragged about how well her son was doing, was secretly sad and neglected. The bird merged found the son's body on the battlefield, and merged with it to return to his mother. Cool to have this backstory after the last episode. But that magic was too taxing, which is why he's dying now.

The bird was saved, and just like the fox, the cost is promising the priestess one body part for her to use as medicine some time in the future. But I have a feeling that "contract" is just a pretense for her to hide her true kindness behind a facade of "just doing business". I don't think she would ever actually claim their body parts, at least not while they're still alive. The store owner tries to pretend that he only wanted the bird saved so he could get gold, but the priestess calls out his lie since he clearly cares about the bird. Then the store owner says "I didn't expect someone like you to care about other's lives". Just back and forth pot calling the kettle black, hmmm? What a bunch of lovable dorks.

Then in the ending scene we see that the couple that the store owner kicked out last episode is putting on a show mourning a lost mom in public. So he probably kicked them out for being ungrateful towards her in life. I think the show will do this a lot - introduce a character as sinister before revealing that they are a cinnamon roll through and through.

Thanks for an explanation. I didn't get who the couple was at the end.
That snake spirit coming up suddenly is interesting. Perhaps we'll get to know about it later.

Loved the episode.
Jul 10, 2020 2:19 PM

Jun 2015
It really is sad to see how this people lives matter so much, and with just a bit of attention or care for the others is enought to make them happy. This stories are telling us that sometimes animals can be more humans than us, also making as feel bad and reflect on everything we have done so far on our lives.
Also thanks for your point of view, its difficult to find other peoples opinions on this anime due to the lack of popularity.
Aug 18, 2021 7:30 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That backstory was actually so sad... it's understandable for his behavior but there are always difficulties whatever path you want to take :/
Apr 5, 2022 8:23 PM

Mar 2013
That was a good show but I didn't get to see more of the king's story after he renounced the death of the general. So many plot holes (for me) and yeah, we got to see redundant use of that red string but oh well, I enjoyed it to some extent and I also realized the things most of the episode up to this point are talking about.
CrazyButNot4UApr 5, 2022 8:29 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 27, 2023 5:51 PM
Oct 2019
if the bird eats some special turtle brain it can live for another 100 years? and this turtle is likely one of the animals/spirits she helped in the past and its brain is the "part" she's now claiming as per their deal?

this is legitimately interesting. it's just that it's a little slow for me. and so far it's been two 2-episode long stories in the first 4 episodes. a little worried it's going to be a bit of a slow, episodic series (which isn't my preference). there is probably some loose, overarching story, but it really hasn't been developed up to this point

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bai Yao Pu Episode 10 Discussion

Worvrammu - Mar 18

0 by Worvrammu »»
Mar 18, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Bai Yao Pu Episode 9 Discussion

Worvrammu - Mar 17

0 by Worvrammu »»
Mar 17, 5:14 PM

Poll: » Bai Yao Pu Episode 7 Discussion

Worvrammu - Mar 14

0 by Worvrammu »»
Mar 14, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Bai Yao Pu Episode 5 Discussion

Worvrammu - Mar 12

0 by Worvrammu »»
Mar 12, 5:12 PM

» Japan Dub Broadcast

tsubasalover - Nov 26, 2023

0 by tsubasalover »»
Nov 26, 2023 7:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.