Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 30, 2020 3:13 AM
Aug 2009
So we all know at this point the rule, it needs to be physically published for it to be added to MAL. But does MAL not realise how outdated that is ? More and more people are only reading webtoons these days, webtoons are more popular then ever I think you could say. (See Tower of God even getting an anime).
Could we just stop, in all honesty, being a bunch of boomers and just go with the time ? Webtoons are only going to get more and more popular and you miss out a lot of people using this site in my opinion, for the simple fact this site does not have webtoons. I know a lot of people that don't use MAL for the simple fact it doesn't have webtoons and that is the majority of what they read.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2020 12:07 AM

Dec 2015
Everything is okay as long as it is from Japan. I don't need korean or chinese crap. Database rules should be strict here.

Change it so it allows all stuff from Japan but other stuff should get denied even if it published somewhere.

(I think AniDB - which focuses on anime only - is a lot stricter here. Forbids non-japanese anime I think. Similar it should be done with manga and on MAL.)
May 31, 2020 4:45 AM

Aug 2018
This is in place to prevent cheaply made fan comics, doujins and h manga flooding the site.
_______I like rocks__
Jun 1, 2020 10:06 PM
Apr 2015
Luthandorius said:
Everything is okay as long as it is from Japan. I don't need korean or chinese crap.

Why? What is so wrong with having non-Japanese works on MAL? That seems unnecessarily exclusive and maybe a little racist, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm curious whether you have genuine logic and reasoning that backs up your POV?

MSAtlos said:
This is in place to prevent cheaply made fan comics, doujins and h manga flooding the site.

Many H-manga have physical releases and are allowed. So it really isn't stopping that. If they dont want h-manga, they could easily just deny 18+ works.

As far as cheap fan manga, I agree that you shouldn't be able to draw some random fanfiction, and have it get on MAL. You could easily adjust the rule to allow officially licensed and published, original works, both physical & online.
This would allow everything that should be here and exclude fan creations.

Also, another point here; what is allowed should never be determined by the quality of the art or writing. The publisher certainly can and they should - they want to make money. But if its officially published, who is anyone to decide what isn't "good enough" to be on here. This way of ruling would be very dangerous.
Jun 2, 2020 12:35 AM

Sep 2017
The fact that you used words like "boomer" to say this idea may make it hard for them to even consider this.Try talking more formal.
Netsui-sama said:
Luthandorius said:
Everything is okay as long as it is from Japan. I don't need korean or chinese crap.

Why? What is so wrong with having non-Japanese works on MAL? That seems unnecessarily exclusive and maybe a little racist, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm curious whether you have genuine logic and reasoning that backs up your POV?

MSAtlos said:

Many H-manga have physical releases and are allowed. So it really isn't stopping that. If they dont want h-manga, they could easily just deny 18+ works.

As far as cheap fan manga, I agree that you shouldn't be able to draw some random fanfiction, and have it get on MAL. You could easily adjust the rule to allow officially licensed and published, original works, both physical & online.
This would allow everything that should be here and exclude fan creations.

Also, another point here; what is allowed should never be determined by the quality of the art or writing. The publisher certainly can and they should - they want to make money. But if its officially published, who is anyone to decide what isn't "good enough" to be on here. This way of ruling would be very dangerous.

The name is MyAnimeList, what is rule 1 to be an anime? Being made in Japan so yeah you get it.This discussion has been made many times before on Avatar.If you want webtoons here first make Avatar win.(why tf did you even relate this to racism?)

I've also seen some webtoon ads on youtube not gonna lie they all look cliched and your everyday romance so no I'm not a fan of this idea.

And about your h manga thing: They allow h mangas here that are kinda official but they don't allow doujinshis or fan-made stuff
ุฎ
Jun 2, 2020 1:36 AM

Feb 2020
Yes, I agree. Waiting until it's published, so you can hold it in your hands and have a physical object to love from the freaking bottom of your heart is heaven, yes. BUT the only thing close to me actually getting the chance of buying a manhwa was two city's away and mom wouldn't let me buy it, because guess what it was? Killing Stalking, both parts even. I mean I've read it anyways, but I couldn't hold the manhwa in my hands. And this wasn't an example of a webtoon, but I'm trying to say that's exactly the same situation here. I'm actually way closer to buying manga than manhwa and everything else you find on webtoon or even doujinshis, sooo- really. And even if it'd be no problem for me, I don't think I'm the only one in this situation here. I mean that's the reason I read webtoons on webtoon and MAL should add them even if they haven't been published- my opinion
Olivi125Jun 2, 2020 1:39 AM

tysm iva-๐Ÿข๐Ÿ’œ

Jun 2, 2020 2:50 AM
Apr 2015
Fatefag said:

The name is MyAnimeList, what is rule 1 to be an anime? Being made in Japan so yeah you get it.This discussion has been made many times before on Avatar.If you want webtoons here first make Avatar win.(why tf did you even relate this to racism?)

I've also seen some webtoon ads on youtube not gonna lie they all look cliched and your everyday romance so no I'm not a fan of this idea.

Firstly, the second paragraph is your opinion on the quality of the stories. That's irrelevant so I will move on.

Now, in regards to your logic in the first paragraph, if you want to use the name of the website as the absolite rule for what is allowed, why is manga here? Manga isn't anime. I imagine you reaponding by saying "that's not the same thing, manga is Japanese" or something like that. Yeah, well its still not anime. So we could agree that would be bending the rule just a little? Ok, why cant you bend it for anything else?
Furthermore, lets look at the "MY" in the name. Its MY list, not theirs. MY list includes korean manhwa and other media types.

Anyway, thats all beside the point. Your reasoning is flawed. The rule isnt based off the name of the website or even where the comic or animation originated. There are a few korean manhwa and other media types on here because they have physical releases. Any argument about where something comes from is completely irrelevant because they dont actually exclude like that.

The argument for the rule change is that ot shouldn't just be physical releases, it should include digital, officially licensed and published, original works. I have yet to hear an argument against this other then "I dont want Korean and Chinese crap mixed with my Japanese." Which is completely irrelevant to the OP's and my argument because of the reasons listed above.
Jun 2, 2020 7:18 AM

Aug 2018
Anastacius said:
Fatefag said:
The fact that you used words like "boomer" to say this idea may make it hard for them to even consider this.Try talking more formal.

Did you thoroughly check the database first before you posted some Bs? First off, the number one rule in anime is that its made in Japan and how they should only allow anime from Japan but there are already anime here from China such as Bloodivores and Tales of demons and Gods, and we weren't even talking about MyAnimeList adding Korean or Chinese anime because they already had them.

We were talking about Webtoons without physical copies but understand that they were licensed so it isn't some garbage fan-fictions that didn't get licensed. Also, you can't judge all Webtoons based off one youtube add lol. That's like basing off all anime with hentai because in one anime you saw some tits like wtf?

MyAnimeList only adds anime from Asia not from just Japan like i just mentioned. But they don't add avatar because it's american. Same with Castlevania. They're both American shows that use the same animation like anime.

MSAtlos said:

Webtoons aren't Fan-fics, you know? They're licensed. So i don't think you know what Webtoons are in the first place. Also H manga are already in the site lol, but wtf does this got anything to do with webtoons?
I know what webtoon's are but allow webtoon's you allow doujin's, they fall in the same catagory.
_______I like rocks__
Jun 2, 2020 7:35 AM
Aug 2009
MSAtlos said:

Easy solution then, only valid webtoon providers like Lezhin, that should solve that.
Jun 2, 2020 7:37 AM
Mar 2011
Damselflies said:
MSAtlos said:

Easy solution then, only valid webtoon providers like Lezhin, that should solve that.

if soor them why do stuff like CLAMP's Eerly saint saei Doujin witch are not in the db
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"๏ปฟ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 2, 2020 7:40 AM

Aug 2018
DateYutaka said:
Damselflies said:

if soor them why do stuff like CLAMP's Eerly saint saei Doujin witch are not in the db
Because all of CLAMP'S work is important in some regard, but if its just you average joe with his Naruto x Bluma fan comic no ones going to care. It is a database after all
_______I like rocks__
Jun 2, 2020 7:43 AM
Aug 2009
MSAtlos said:

Also, everything being added already has to go through approval, so they are already filtering out the stuff that shouldn't belong here, why not just do the same for fan made toons and such.
Jun 2, 2020 7:49 AM

Aug 2018
Damselflies said:
MSAtlos said:

Also, everything being added already has to go through approval, so they are already filtering out the stuff that shouldn't belong here, why not just do the same for fan made toons and such.
You'll have to ask a mod that, not me.
_______I like rocks__
Jun 2, 2020 7:54 AM
Aug 2009
MSAtlos said:
Damselflies said:

You'll have to ask a mod that, not me.

Lol i know everything goes through approval cause regularly something i want to add to my list it'll say: Pending for Approval
So they are already doing this, so being like but bla bla bla DJ and more, isn't totally valid, cause they're already filtering and approving/refusing things that are added.
Jun 2, 2020 7:55 AM
Mar 2011
MSAtlos said:
DateYutaka said:

Because all of CLAMP'S work is important in some regard, but if its just you average joe with his Naruto x Bluma fan comic no ones going to care. It is a database after all

nope the CLAMP seiya Doujin is on in the DB
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"๏ปฟ

Jun 2, 2020 7:56 AM

Aug 2018
DateYutaka said:
MSAtlos said:

I was saying it's only on the DB because it was CLAMP I wasn't saying it wasn't on the DB
_______I like rocks__
Jun 2, 2020 7:57 AM
Mar 2011
MSAtlos said:
DateYutaka said:

I was saying it's only on the DB because it was CLAMP I wasn't saying it wasn't on the DB

typo there not in the db at all

Jun 2, 2020 12:02 PM

Feb 2019
there is already massive backlog of manga and lns to be approved. might be an issue
Jun 3, 2020 2:23 AM
Feb 2019
It might become essential in the future for Mal to allow webtoons. Tower of God is currently the second most popular anime this season on Mal. If the current trend continues and if there is more quality webtoon adaptations then they have to have webtoons. Additionally there's a lot of people who read webtoons. There might be more mal users who read webtoons then a lot of the manga listed on the website. Also by having webtoons there will be more people using the site.
Jun 3, 2020 2:35 AM

Dec 2018
I’m not an expert on webtoons so sorry if I’m wrong here but don’t most of if not all the webtoons listed here need to have been published or licenced in Japan. I thought that was like a rule that all webtoons here must have some form of Japanese publication to be listed here.
MonochrosanityJun 3, 2020 2:46 AM
Jun 12, 2020 1:52 AM
Sep 2015
I understand why they initially had a rule about only including webtoons with an official physical publication, but I don't understand why it's still in place after all this time. People have been asking for this for ages, and webtoons have *exploded* in popularity in the past few years. They're gonna leave manga in the dust, and MAL seems damn determined to sink with the ship. Unfortunate.
Jun 12, 2020 2:42 AM
Feb 2020
VerballyStunted said:
I understand why they initially had a rule about only including webtoons with an official physical publication, but I don't understand why it's still in place after all this time. People have been asking for this for ages, and webtoons have *exploded* in popularity in the past few years. They're gonna leave manga in the dust, and MAL seems damn determined to sink with the ship. Unfortunate.

exactly, also instead of TOP MANHWA they need to add MOST POPULAR MANHWA.
Jun 12, 2020 7:41 AM
Aug 2009
VerballyStunted said:

Yes I totally understand, like compared 2014 for example to now. But now it's really just outdated.
Jun 12, 2020 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
Anastacius said:
Anilist and kitsu are adding them too. Which is a huge problem because that can persuade people to migrate to those sites. After all, Anilist and Kitsu do have more features and a much larger database which include manhwa/webtoons without physical copies and manhuas too.

Anime-planet has a bigger ln/manga/manhwa,etc DB than kitsu and anilist, if I am not mistaken.
Jun 17, 2020 6:00 AM

May 2019
Damselflies said:
Could we just stop, in all honesty, being a bunch of boomers and just go with the time ?

Now you said the best definition of MAL. A f* bunch of f* boomers.

The only reason i still stay here is you, and you there, and him or her, and them. This page is older and have more members, that's why.

But the internet is open so i strongly support people to make profiles and participate of other similar and better featured pages.
Jun 26, 2020 11:37 AM

Jun 2020
I'd recommend Anime-Planet if you want to keep track of webtoons. It has anime, manga, and webtoons, and I definitely prefer it over this site. However, I do agree that they should be less stingy when it comes to adding webtoons since Korean is really similar to Japanese.
Jun 26, 2020 12:00 PM
Aug 2009
Flamie_x said:
I'd recommend Anime-Planet if you want to keep track of webtoons. It has anime, manga, and webtoons, and I definitely prefer it over this site. However, I do agree that they should be less stingy when it comes to adding webtoons since Korean is really similar to Japanese.

Problem is not that korean isn't allowed, it just need have a physical paper publishing. There are a bunch of korean/chinese ones on here, but only paper published, so no webtoons only.
Jun 26, 2020 12:41 PM

Jun 2020
Damselflies said:
Flamie_x said:

Problem is not that korean isn't allowed, it just need have a physical paper publishing. There are a bunch of korean/chinese ones on here, but only paper published, so no webtoons only.

I don't understand the point of that.
Jul 1, 2020 12:13 AM

Jul 2019
MAL is basically a synonym for outdated. I'm pretty sure that mods/admins don't even read suggestion threads. I'm here for a year now and I haven't seen a single change that would improve a user experience.
Jul 10, 2020 7:41 PM

Aug 2019
We don't need this garbage here
Jul 11, 2020 5:08 AM
ร‰milia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
NamikazeHime said:
MAL is basically a synonym for outdated. I'm pretty sure that mods/admins don't even read suggestion threads. I'm here for a year now and I haven't seen a single change that would improve a user experience.

Here for five, not seen a single one too

Jul 11, 2020 6:12 AM

Sep 2017
They could possibly have a section specifically for Webtoon? There are a lot of Webtoon exclusive people out there so it would make sense.
Jul 11, 2020 12:02 PM

Sep 2017
We don't need these trash here
Edit: Oh wait I had already posted here when it was created
FatephileJul 11, 2020 12:07 PM
ุฎ
Jul 11, 2020 12:47 PM
Oct 2011
Luthandorius said:
Everything is okay as long as it is from Japan. I don't need korean or chinese crap. Database rules should be strict here.

Change it so it allows all stuff from Japan but other stuff should get denied even if it published somewhere.

(I think AniDB - which focuses on anime only - is a lot stricter here. Forbids non-japanese anime I think. Similar it should be done with manga and on MAL.)

So, Japanese Visual Novels, for example? they are the base os many animes, like fate stay night, nekopara, where you basically read the story
Jul 11, 2020 1:57 PM

Dec 2018
100% agree, MAL has a great community, but they're getting behind. What to expect from a site that doesn't even have an official dark mode in 2020? I really want to add webtoons here too.
Jul 14, 2020 4:20 PM

Jul 2020
Luthandorius said:

"I don't like it so it shouldn't exist"

Very odd way of thinking.
Jul 15, 2020 8:40 AM

Dec 2019
I would love to see webtoons on MAL. Right now i khave a textdocument to keep track on which capter i read the last and stuff like that. Also it would be easier to find new series to get into. I think the argument that it is not from Japan so it cant have something to do with anime pretty stupid. Besides that webtoons are coloured the artstile and storys are pretty close to manga. And Tower of god, which is a webtoon ( or a manwha, i forgot ) became a anime adaption which took of pretty well
Jul 15, 2020 9:33 AM

Oct 2015
then you'd have to include thousands upon thousands of doujinshi as well, and low quality fanfictions from pixiv too.
Jul 15, 2020 4:18 PM

Jul 2014
Oh, so there's a thread about it. It's simply necessary if MAL intends to stay on point with its manga database. The landscape of Asian comics have changed heavily and forever. We see manhwa being made into anime too at incresaing rates after all.
There're official web publishers, web-manga/mahwa/mahua is massively popular.
MAL is losing its relevance and fast by not including these titles.
And plenty of web series have MAL pages already, it's just inconsistent.
The rule of physical copies only is extremely outdated at this point.
Jul 16, 2020 12:10 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I have seen way too many borderline-Hentai intercourse titles for webtoon using ecchi tag and only censored the private parts with white out. Tell the webtoon creators for ecchi series this: Ecchi is not sexual intercourse...that's hentai

The other problem is what's official or not.

If you use MAL for a really long time, you should already know MAL is mainly for anime as it is called myANIMElist. As for manga, a lot of the new recent manga/web-novel/light-novel are not even in the database when users want update.

The problem is obvious not lack of manhua/manhwa source, but something. Users themselves need to add the series to the database first for them to research if it's official that meet with MAL guideline. The process is take a really long time.
https://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=mangadb&do=add

deadoptimist
You mean *MANHUA* being made into anime too at increasing rates since more series are produced in China
Jul 16, 2020 6:50 AM
Aug 2009
xkazutox said:
I have seen way too many borderline-Hentai intercourse titles for webtoon using ecchi tag and only censored the private parts with white out. Tell the webtoon creators for ecchi series this: Ecchi is not sexual intercourse...that's hentai

The other problem is what's official or not.

If you use MAL for a really long time, you should already know MAL is mainly for anime as it is called myANIMElist. As for manga, a lot of the new recent manga/web-novel/light-novel are not even in the database when users want update.

The problem is obvious not lack of manhua/manhwa source, but something. Users themselves need to add the series to the database first for them to research if it's official that meet with MAL guideline. The process is take a really long time.
https://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=mangadb&do=add

deadoptimist
You mean *MANHUA* being made into anime too at increasing rates since more series are produced in China

Well I've seen/read plenty of non-hentai webtoons too, and even so, there is already hentai on here so thats literally not a good reason to exclude it either ?
And going by that myANIMElist, if we want to stay true to that name we should just remove everything that is not anime. I've had an account for over 10yrs now and when I joined there was already manga/manwha/manhua. However when i joined webtoons weren't really a thing yet. (I joined in 2009, naver WEBTOON only started officially translating in 2014)
Also if you try and apply for webtoons without physical source they already let everyone clearly know, it will get rejected no matter what.

Again the only webtoons you'll find on here are the ones with physical publication or well apparently when they get a anime adaptation, because I do believe God of High School has no physical publication ? (Which makes the rules even more ridiculous in my opinion, why only add the ones without physical publication after they get an anime.)
Jul 17, 2020 3:32 AM

Jul 2014
xkazutox said:
deadoptimist

Are Tower of God and The God of High School Chinese??? These two are more or less a breakthrough. In former seasons there were several adaptations of manhuas but they didn't get that much attention and good press, at least from what I saw.
Jul 17, 2020 12:40 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
@deadoptimist
No, those two aren't manhua. They are webtoon. As for manhwa, it isn't considered a breakthrough since there are others like Ragnarök The Animation (2004), Blade of the Phantom Master (2004) and etcs. As for webtoon, there are Japanese webtoon with anime adaptation like ReLife before Korean webtoon with anime adaptation.
Manhwa = Korean
Manhua = Chinese
Manga = Japanese

Webtoon doesn't apply only to Korea so say it is the same as Manhwa is completely wrong. Yet people still get mix up between the two.
Jul 17, 2020 1:06 PM
Jan 2016
MSAtlos said:

not always fan made comic is bad, even big companies made bad comic....
Jul 17, 2020 2:14 PM

Jul 2014
xkazutox said:
@deadoptimist
No, those two aren't manhua. They are webtoon. As for manhwa, it isn't considered a breakthrough since there are others like Ragnarök The Animation (2004), Blade of the Phantom Master (2004) and etcs. As for webtoon, there are Japanese webtoon with anime adaptation like ReLife before Korean webtoon with anime adaptation.
Manhwa = Korean
Manhua = Chinese
Manga = Japanese

Webtoon doesn't apply only to Korea so say it is the same as Manhwa is completely wrong. Yet people still get mix up between the two.

Yeah, I am well aware of the three terms. Maybe I didn't put it right, but I was sure it was obvious that I was talking about web-series. And from what I observe, web-comics are especisally strong in Korea.
Manhwa has been around for a while, but, imo, what they did with web-comics tailored for reading on phones has been major and changed the landscape of comics forever. Again, I may be mistaken, but in my eyes Korea has been the heart of this new development. Like kpop, like dorama, it's associated with their culture first and foremost.
Jul 17, 2020 3:10 PM

Feb 2016
I don't see the point. Even if the rules are changed to allow webtoons, the mods would never get around to approving any.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jul 21, 2020 6:06 AM

Jun 2020
If this happens, I'll have to plague my list with all the filthy manhwas I've been secretly reading.
This anime shit is addictive
Jul 21, 2020 11:08 AM

Feb 2010
Even if the rule change happened it would just end up with thousands of additional entries in the queue. The manga site of the DB is so overwhelmed already, you might never see an entry approved in your lifetime if you add it to the queue now.

I'm trying to say that there are bigger fish to fry for the manga side of this site. It isn't even functioning properly now.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 23, 2020 4:45 PM
Aug 2009
Lets just say, I moved my ass to Anilist :')
Jul 26, 2020 2:57 PM

Jun 2020
Luthandorius said:

^^^THIS. I don't even fucking understand why Manhwas are here in the first place. It is in no way related to anime. It's not even from Japan. MAL should be a little strict about this and keep this place anime and manga only and if its not from Japan then it shouldn't be here.

I said keep your hands on the table
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.