Forum Settings
Forums

Does your saltiness from one series spill over to another?

New
Mar 30, 2020 12:16 AM

Dec 2019
I was having a chat with one of my friends when she told me that she didn't like a ship simply because their physical appearance reminded her way too much about another ship she disliked from a completely different unrelated series. Do you have any such irrational dislikes?

Or maybe ever had a character you hated so much that it made you dislike/hate another character from a completely different series simply because maybe they share a few similar traits/characteristics?

Or perhaps you project what the author/mangaka/creators wrote in one series on to their other completely unrelated works *cough*Kuroshitsuji*cough*

Or could be anything else.
Mar 30, 2020 12:20 AM

Jan 2018
That's true, best thing to do is to switch genre or take a break. If you watch consistently the similarity would be painfully obvious.
Mar 30, 2020 12:51 AM

Jul 2015
Umm, not necessarily? Depends though, like I'm not a fan of certain tropes (character wise). For example, I'm not really too fond of the Dandere types, like those really shy characters who are just way too afraid to speak up, they blush, and can't really do anything to help haha. So I guess similarities in that regard you could argue that maybe my saltiness from one series carries over, but it's not necessarily because of something unique to a particular series though, like a specific character, ship, etc.

caught in the wonder
Mar 30, 2020 1:11 AM

Dec 2019
Gem said:
Umm, not necessarily? Depends though, like I'm not a fan of certain tropes (character wise). For example, I'm not really too fond of the Dandere types, like those really shy characters who are just way too afraid to speak up, they blush, and can't really do anything to help haha. So I guess similarities in that regard you could argue that maybe my saltiness from one series carries over, but it's not necessarily because of something unique to a particular series though, like a specific character, ship, etc.
I think that's simply a case of preference. Saltiness would be more like you started hating a character because your best girl (or boy) didn't win which makes you hate other similar characters irrespective of the setting/dynamics which may be completely different. More of an irrational hate sort of thing.
Mar 30, 2020 1:24 AM

Aug 2018
Even if I dislike a character because for reason unrelated to the series (like best girl didn't win or something along those lines) I would try and not hold that against the anime and manga, i'll just try and look at it as objectively as possible.

Unless the creator fucked majorly and my saltiness is justified in context of the series.
_______I like rocks__
Mar 30, 2020 3:02 AM

Feb 2019
That does happen although more with character's personalities rather than his physical appearance.
Mar 30, 2020 3:43 AM
Jul 2018
No I dont think so. I was apprehensive about Vinkand Saga because I disliked the main characters in Planetes. But that didn't stop me from checking out the show because of the setting. I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Had the setting of VS been similar to Planetes, however, I might have decided to give it a pass. So I'm going to revise my answer by saying character similarity doesn't affect my perception of a show but the other works of the developers surely do.
Mar 30, 2020 6:35 AM

Jan 2010
Back when I was still a brat, I hated the color pink because I hated Sakura, it was stupid, I'm so ashamed.

As for now, no I don't think so. But can't be so sure because I haven't experienced such thing. I don't think there is any ship that is similar appearance-wise to my NOTPs.

EDIT:
And I don't dwell on hatred for fictional characters nowadays. I tend to focus on what I love instead.
Mar 30, 2020 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
Not really, I tend to separate things quite well.

I don't even have a problem with authors who are straight-up mentally ill. I'll question the person, but it doesn't affect how I rate their work.
Mar 30, 2020 9:39 AM

Mar 2012
Totally guilty of doing it. By the time I watched Owari no Seraph, I had already heard far too many times from the Kyo Kara Maoh fandom about how similar Mika x Yu was to Yuuri x Wolfram. And after watching it for myself I knew fully well that Mika is a good boy unlike Wolfram I still couldn't help but not like it, then again there were far too many other things that I didn't like about Owari no Seraph.
Mar 30, 2020 10:32 AM

Feb 2010
I'm almost never salty about stuff from shows. I'm much more likely to have my mood soured by shitty, asshole posts on MAL.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 30, 2020 10:56 AM

Jul 2016
My enjoyment of Kaguya-sama was immensely affected when I read it after reading the author's previous work IB: Instant Bullet because I saw so much of what made IB bad in Kaguya (which by itself isn't bad). So yeah it does happen.
Mar 30, 2020 12:48 PM

Mar 2020
No, nothing gets me salty and probably never will.
Mar 30, 2020 8:29 PM

Jul 2016
Two words, Domestic Girlfriend. Ruined my day and made me want to stop watching anime altogether. haha
Mar 30, 2020 9:13 PM

Apr 2018
Yu-gi-oh ARC-V's last arcs were so shitty. To this day no other anime has generated more salt than that. Its beginning arcs were so great too; it makes me so sad.

As a result, I felt that I was too harsh with its sequel (VRAINS for those that don't know). Will consider giving it another shot
Mar 30, 2020 9:15 PM

Jun 2017
i honestly cant't recall me ever reacting in a way like this lol
Mar 31, 2020 2:26 AM

Feb 2015
Did happen once after I finished the second season of Pyscho-Pass and all that salt spilled in the resort pool that we rented for one night. Friend of mine made a terrible joke that "boys will be buoys."
Mar 31, 2020 10:43 AM

Jul 2014
I have no idea why I would do anything like the stuff you mentioned. The closest I can get, I guess, is feeling the tiniest bit of disappointment of seeing yet another main character of average height with short, relatively spiky black hair and above average looks and intelligence. Like I said, though, its a feeling that may as well not exist because, at the end of the day, these are different products with different characters.

TLDR: No, I don't and its dumb to do so.

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

30 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.