Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 11, 2020 6:11 AM
Apr 2016
Is human species a sort of vegetation?
Re:formed
Mar 11, 2020 6:17 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Shounen is a demographic. It is literally just an indicator of the target demographic of the publication the manga was in. It has no tropes or structure inherently tied to it.

No, it's not a genre.

If we want to make battle shounen specifically a genre, then I will only accept it being referred to as "Mahou Shounen" to make it sound as emasculating as possible while still being descriptive.

Mar 11, 2020 6:18 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It's a demographic, a bad demographic but that doesn't make it a genre.
Mar 11, 2020 6:22 AM

Aug 2018
Roevhaal said:

A "bad" demographic? What is that supposed to mean? Boys are bad?
Mar 11, 2020 6:36 AM

Dec 2015
Roevhaal said:

What's so bad about an entire demographic? There are plenty of good shounen anime both inside and outside the battle shounen genre.
Mar 11, 2020 8:17 AM
Apr 2018
Kobayasan said:
Campillo said:

I could tell Detective Conan is a shounen when I watched it as a kid, even though I didn't even know shounen existed. The sense of adventure, the plot structure, the kind of characters it had, I related it to other shounens like Captain Tsubasa or Dragon Ball.
Ah yes who could forget the sense of adventure and the plot structure of Domexkano and Kakegurui, just like grandpa Tezuka used to make them

Bro, not every fucking western movie is the same and it's a genre. Saying that there are shounen that are very different from each other is not enough to obviate that almost 75% of them share a lot of traits.

Assassination Classroom is about a fucking class and it's still similar to BnHA.
Mar 11, 2020 8:27 AM
Nov 2017
It's just a target audience which can encompass a large variety of different genres. Adventure/fighting anime, sports anime and harems generally fall into the shounen category. The more you watch/read the more you'll start to see why certain anime fall into the Shounen demographic when at first they might even seem like more of a Shoujo. Or for example why stuff like K-on and little witch Academia are Seinen Anime. I used to think of Shounen as stuff like Naruto exclusively and I thought of Seinen as stuff like Berserk.

I find it fun trying to guess what demographic a specific anime or manga belongs to, it's much harder than you'd think.
Mar 11, 2020 8:31 AM

May 2019
Campillo said:
Kobayasan said:
Ah yes who could forget the sense of adventure and the plot structure of Domexkano and Kakegurui, just like grandpa Tezuka used to make them

Bro, not every fucking western movie is the same and it's a genre. Saying that there are shounen that are very different from each other is not enough to obviate that almost 75% of them share a lot of traits.

Assassination Classroom is about a fucking class and it's still similar to BnHA.
And DomeKano is about a love triangle between a guy and his two step sisters, it has no similarities to any BATTLE shounen Kakegurui, well Kakegurui has some similarities, Bokuben and Nisekoi are harem anime, what fucking similarities do Your lie in April, Koe no Katachi, Beck, Aria and Death Note have to Naruto, AssClass and My hero academia
Mar 11, 2020 8:42 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Kobayasan said:
epidemia78 said:
Mal should add "battle shonen" as a genre so shows like Oregairu aren't lumped in together with friggin Naruto.
Oregairu isn't and has never been under the shounen tag, where did you get that idea?
Oregairu is from Gagaga Bunko, a ''shounen'' LN publisher, however the content of said publisher tends to get manga adaptions in seinen magazines just as often as shounen magazines, examples of titles from said publisher:
GJ-bu (no manga but clearly shounen imo)
Imouto sae Ireba Ii. (seinen manga)
Jintai (seinen manga)
Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (shounen manga)
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu. (seinen manga)
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai (shounen manga but it doesn't make sense)
Shimoneta (shounen manga)
OreGairu (seinen manga)
Black Lagoon (adaption from seinen manga, guess it's a shounen now)

epidemia78 said:
Roevhaal said:
They are but I obviously mean that anime clearly targeted at boys tend to be bad

holysauron said:
Roevhaal said:

What's so bad about an entire demographic? There are plenty of good shounen anime both inside and outside the battle shounen genre.
No, there's not plenty of good shounen, you'll find the occasional good fringe series that you have no idea how it ended up in a shounen magazine. There's also a few decent series that are clearly shounen at heart but those are very rare and only reach moderate levels of good to begin with.
Mar 11, 2020 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
Shounen is not a genre technically it's more of a demographic. It's targeted to young boys. However most shounen are battle action series hence why people assume that it's a genre because they're similar to each other. However there are examples of shounen anime which are not action based like nisekoi.
Mar 11, 2020 11:56 AM

Dec 2016
If series like Aria and Nisekoi hadn't been published in shounen magazines nobody would ever speak of them as shounen anime...
Mar 11, 2020 12:48 PM

Jun 2019
holysauron said:
Roevhaal said:

Every male between 5 and 18 is bad, of course.

On a serious note, it's probably not worth it to try and go into a discussion with folks like this fam don't bother

Mar 11, 2020 1:02 PM

Aug 2018
Shounen is as much of a genre as comedy is, its more of a tag you can slap on a show whenever it has some stuff in it that fit the formula, the same way you could slap a comedy tag on something that has jokes in it sometimes

You could take 2 shounen animes and realise they barely have anything in common. One piece, kimetsu no yaiba, promised neverland, death note, your lie in April and nisekoi all have the shounen tag, there are a ton of series you could just slap a shounen tag on and nobody would say anything

You could say shounen tagged animes are just made with the intent of selling to the shounen demographic

Same goes for seinen btw, berserk, erased, kaguya sama, Vinland Saga
and ghost in the shell don't have much in common
yotiMar 11, 2020 1:17 PM
Mar 11, 2020 1:11 PM

Jul 2017
Roevhaal said:
Imagine calling a demographic bad. That statement goes way beyond just liking/disliking some shows. Are you sure that's the perfect way you could have worded what you're trying to say?

Mar 11, 2020 1:34 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Attackonfiller said:
Roevhaal said:
Imagine calling a demographic bad. That statement goes way beyond just liking/disliking some shows. Are you sure that's the perfect way you could have worded what you're trying to say?

My mean score for series tagged with each demographic:

Shoujo: 4.74
Josei: 4.33
Seinen: 4.28
Shounen: 3.10

The structure of shounen and how it uses story telling to appeal to it's demographic is straight up awful >90% of the time. The genre doesn't matter much either, be it battle shounen like Fire Force, harems like Bokuben, drama like Araburu, rom-coms like Takagi-san or CGDCT like Hitoribocchi.

Sure there are some freak cases (I even have a few shounen series on my favourites list) but that doesn't save the demographic from being crap as a whole.
Mar 11, 2020 3:37 PM

Jul 2017
Roevhaal said:
Attackonfiller said:

My mean score for series tagged with each demographic:

Shoujo: 4.74
Josei: 4.33
Seinen: 4.28
Shounen: 3.10

The structure of shounen and how it uses story telling to appeal to it's demographic is straight up awful >90% of the time. The genre doesn't matter much either, be it battle shounen like Fire Force, harems like Bokuben, drama like Araburu, rom-coms like Takagi-san or CGDCT like Hitoribocchi.

Sure there are some freak cases (I even have a few shounen series on my favourites list) but that doesn't save the demographic from being crap as a whole.

Ah, ok. I understand you. When you literally called the demographic bad it just sounded like there were some other issues you had outside of the shows mainly targeted at them lol

Mar 12, 2020 5:22 AM

Dec 2015
Roevhaal said:
Kobayasan said:
Oregairu isn't and has never been under the shounen tag, where did you get that idea?
Oregairu is from Gagaga Bunko, a ''shounen'' LN publisher, however the content of said publisher tends to get manga adaptions in seinen magazines just as often as shounen magazines, examples of titles from said publisher:
GJ-bu (no manga but clearly shounen imo)
Imouto sae Ireba Ii. (seinen manga)
Jintai (seinen manga)
Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai (shounen manga)
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu. (seinen manga)
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai (shounen manga but it doesn't make sense)
Shimoneta (shounen manga)
OreGairu (seinen manga)
Black Lagoon (adaption from seinen manga, guess it's a shounen now)

epidemia78 said:
They are but I obviously mean that anime clearly targeted at boys tend to be bad

holysauron said:

No, there's not plenty of good shounen, you'll find the occasional good fringe series that you have no idea how it ended up in a shounen magazine. There's also a few decent series that are clearly shounen at heart but those are very rare and only reach moderate levels of good to begin with.

Or there are plenty of good shounen out there but they might just not be your thing?
Mar 12, 2020 6:02 AM

Jan 2016
Shonen, Shoujo, Seinen, Josei is demographic.. But, i am not really that sure about Yaoi, and Yuri
Mar 12, 2020 7:18 AM

Nov 2017
shiroha said:
Shonen, Shoujo, Seinen, Josei is demographic.. But, i am not really that sure about Yaoi, and Yuri
Homoeroticsm is a specific subject matter, so yaoi and yuri should count as genres.
Mar 26, 2020 10:48 AM
Sep 2016
epidemia78 said:
Mal should add "battle shonen" as a genre so shows like Oregairu aren't lumped in together with friggin Naruto.

They are both targeted at little boys so I don't see why that should happen, Oregairu is a garbage harem.
Mar 26, 2020 10:52 AM

Aug 2018
Halfdan1 said:
epidemia78 said:

They are both targeted at little boys so I don't see why that should happen, Oregairu is a garbage harem.

It's not a fucking harem you retard. If you don't like entertainment aimed towards teenage boys then what the fuck are you even doing watching anime in the first place?
Mar 26, 2020 11:03 AM
Sep 2016
epidemia78 said:
Halfdan1 said:

It's not a fucking harem you retard. If you don't like entertainment aimed towards teenage boys then what the fuck are you even doing watching anime in the first place?

Sure it isn't, I must have just imagined Yukino, Yui and Iroha existing then.

I have nothing against shounen. I just thought it was funny you were looking down on Naruto for being childish despite it having the same demographic as Oregairu.

Also your last sentence makes no sense, not every anime is aimed at teenagers.
Mar 26, 2020 11:05 AM

Sep 2018
Fighting-shonen is a genre like Mahou-shoujo is a genre. Shonen and shoujo aren't genres though.
Mar 26, 2020 11:14 AM

Aug 2018
Halfdan1 said:
epidemia78 said:

Sure it isn't, I must have just imagined Yukino, Yui and Iroha existing then.

I have nothing against shounen. I just thought it was funny you were looking down on Naruto for being childish despite it having the same demographic as Oregairu.

Also your last sentence makes no sense, not every anime is aimed at teenagers.

It's not a harem. It's a highschool romcom with a love triangle. Might as well call Toradora a harem as well since there's more than one girl interested in Ryuji.

I said Naruto has nothing in common with Oregairu. If you think that's me being condescending towards Naruto I don't know what to tell you.

No, not all anime is aimed at teen boys but the vast majority of it is.

Why do I have to explain the obvious?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which MAL User Would You Like to Meet in Real Life? (Useless Thread #54) ( 1 2 3 )

Erebus_Akeldama - Nov 20, 2021

114 by ErenYeager_69 »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

17 by CareBear »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

34 by Ratris_Decision »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

19 by maya2003s »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

7 by maya2003s »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.