Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »
Feb 19, 2020 1:57 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
NeoAnkara said:
Still I already know it will be hard to be implemented but never hurt to ask isn't it?
:blobpat:

I went through Nogi Wakaba manually and found a few accounts which slipped through on both the 10 and 1 scale. They balanced each other out and, before weighted scoring, I'm only expecting a 0.01 difference. However, this will push the total scored users even closer to minimum threshold than it was before, which will drag the score more towards the DB average... so unfortunately, this may actually cause it to fall further. Please don't be alarmed if it does.
Feb 19, 2020 3:43 PM

Jun 2015
Kineta said:
NeoAnkara said:
Still I already know it will be hard to be implemented but never hurt to ask isn't it?
:blobpat:

I went through Nogi Wakaba manually and found a few accounts which slipped through on both the 10 and 1 scale. They balanced each other out and, before weighted scoring, I'm only expecting a 0.01 difference. However, this will push the total scored users even closer to minimum threshold than it was before, which will drag the score more towards the DB average... so unfortunately, this may actually cause it to fall further. Please don't be alarmed if it does.

In this post you said before weighted scoring, will weighted scoring take over the normal scoring or will you be able to view both?
Also what are some of your top contenders in weighing a score if you can release that information
Feb 19, 2020 4:15 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
Tinsel said:
errenos said:
MAL is a very popular and reliable site and can create waves of demand for promising anime with the driver being user ratings. Hopefully they come to their senses!

That's why people were mass voting IR, you silly goose.
Funimation dropped it for some ridiculous reason and people wanted to show their support for the anime by rating it high.

The statement has been made.

Funimation needs to follow some laws and regulations, their decision is not ridiculous. It is controversial, maybe. If the board and all the staff there analyzed the anime and came to a conclusion against it, they have the right to eliminate it. It happened with 3 Japanese stations now. The last was SunTV. All these companies are removing it to avoid any lawsuit against them.

Feb 19, 2020 5:05 PM

Feb 2017
Pipe said:
Tinsel said:

That's why people were mass voting IR, you silly goose.
Funimation dropped it for some ridiculous reason and people wanted to show their support for the anime by rating it high.

The statement has been made.

Funimation needs to follow some laws and regulations, their decision is not ridiculous. It is controversial, maybe. If the board and all the staff there analyzed the anime and came to a conclusion against it, they have the right to eliminate it. It happened with 3 Japanese stations now. The last was SunTV. All these companies are removing it to avoid any lawsuit against them.

I understand they have the right to do what they must to avoid getting sued...

However. That's what everyone is confused about. Funimation is an established company with a team of professionals, which included professional administrators who deal with licensing. No one can't understand how a show about literal prostitution slipped under their radar. What were they expecting when they read the plot and script for it? How could they possibly review the show and pick up a license for it in the first place?

As for them following their standards.

What standards?

Funimation has licensed shows like How Not to Summon A Demon Lord, All you need is a Sister, Shinmoneta: A World without dirty jokes, Prison School. Just to name a few.

All of these shows contain VERY sexually explicit content and very questionable moral standards on Funimation's part if they'll allow shows such as those but not a show like IR.

I don't mean to pick a fight. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter.
I think Funi messed up, and that they've been messing up a bit lately.
Feb 19, 2020 5:14 PM
Apr 2013
Finally! Good job on that one, MAL-Team. I was annoyed by that Pingu thing for years, and when I heard of that vote brigading thing, I hated it as well. I still think that there are a lot of problematic votes due to all kinds of reasons, but at least this mailicious one has been shut down for now. Really, good work!

Kinfin123 said:
Still think the site needs critic scores to give context to the fan scores since those are still subject to massive bias, especially if you insist on allowing multiple seasons to have separate ranking (Gintama, looking at you)

Because those absolute idiots who call themselves critics have any credibility? I don't watch a lot of movies, but look at stuff like Star Wars' The Last Jedi. The only thing a seperate critics group would have would be minority opinions being shunned even further.

However, I do agree with you on the second point. I mean I love Gintama, and always find it funny when 3 of the Top 10 anime are Gintama, it isn't really all that helpful for a Top 100 List.
Play2XFeb 19, 2020 5:25 PM
Feb 19, 2020 7:02 PM
May 2013
Thanks for update on this matter.
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 19, 2020 7:06 PM

Jun 2015
Play2X said:
Finally! Good job on that one, MAL-Team. I was annoyed by that Pingu thing for years, and when I heard of that vote brigading thing, I hated it as well. I still think that there are a lot of problematic votes due to all kinds of reasons, but at least this mailicious one has been shut down for now. Really, good work!

Kinfin123 said:
Still think the site needs critic scores to give context to the fan scores since those are still subject to massive bias, especially if you insist on allowing multiple seasons to have separate ranking (Gintama, looking at you)

Because those absolute idiots who call themselves critics have any credibility? I don't watch a lot of movies, but look at stuff like Star Wars' The Last Jedi. The only thing a seperate critics group would have would be minority opinions being shunned even further.

However, I do agree with you on the second point. I mean I love Gintama, and always find it funny when 3 of the Top 10 anime are Gintama, it isn't really all that helpful for a Top 100 List.

You could just add a rating system to reviews and have top/featured reviews. It's better than having designated critics. Current system allows for you to say helpful but let's be honest helpful vs not helpful doesn't say much. Or just a rehaul of the review page. I.e. currently they have a most helpful review but there's no option to limit the reviews to say x rating or ability to get most helpful critical review
Plus you can't even search the reviews for specific things. Maybe you want to know how the animation is so you would search animation but nope only Ctrl f and trying to find on google.
It also wouldn't hurt to add star ratings for things like animation, cinematography and what ever other things they can think of.
Or a box for common things said about the series.
AntionFeb 19, 2020 7:37 PM
Feb 19, 2020 7:27 PM

Feb 2019
Not in support of discounting people's votes at all. If they're real accounts, their votes should be counted. Now, if we could get some updates to mod policies, minimum character limits for replies, the banning system, etc.
Feb 19, 2020 7:44 PM

Jun 2015
Marinate1016 said:
Not in support of discounting people's votes at all. If they're real accounts, their votes should be counted. Now, if we could get some updates to mod policies, minimum character limits for replies, the banning system, etc.

That's the whole thing tho. What quantifies as a real account? If you just come on to troll what makes that account different from a bot? They have the same purpose. Just because one is done by a human doesn't really make a difference.
Noted I personally feel like there were probably a lot of legitimate 10/10s that just got deleted/banned from the score. But I'm not an admin and don't have access so couldn't check.
AntionFeb 19, 2020 8:00 PM
Feb 19, 2020 8:07 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
Marinate1016 said:

The votes will be counted if the accounts are used normally, as the post indicates. We don't need to fear about that. I am sure that if we are real users our votes will count.

Feb 19, 2020 8:17 PM

Jun 2015
Pipe said:
Marinate1016 said:

The votes will be counted if the accounts are used normally, as the post indicates. We don't need to fear about that. I am sure that if we are real users our votes will count.

What is normally tho? If I just rate 3 anime or increase the episode count on an anime will the 10/10 come back?
If this is going to be the case why not just do it for all anime?
After all there are lots of duplicate accounts and many that just aren't active.
Feb 19, 2020 9:42 PM
Sep 2019
Why did https://myanimelist.net/anime/34620/Kono_Yo_no_Hate_de_Koi_wo_Utau_Shoujo_YU-NO score drop from 6.70 to 6.65 in a day? Most anime I’ve seen only dropped or gained an .1 point.
Feb 20, 2020 12:13 AM
Apr 2015
PLEASE GIVE US '.5' IN THE SCORING!!
Feb 20, 2020 2:04 AM

Jul 2017
Love this patch!! Make sure to check AOT s3 part 2, I remember there were a lot of trolls (especially FMA:B fans) bombing it
Feb 20, 2020 2:05 AM

Feb 2019
Antion said:
Marinate1016 said:

That's the whole thing tho. What quantifies as a real account? If you just come on to troll what makes that account different from a bot? They have the same purpose. Just because one is done by a human doesn't really make a difference.
Noted I personally feel like there were probably a lot of legitimate 10/10s that just got deleted/banned from the score. But I'm not an admin and don't have access so couldn't check.

Some people just don’t use MAL often.
Feb 20, 2020 2:27 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Antion said:
In this post you said before weighted scoring, will weighted scoring take over the normal scoring or will you be able to view both?
Also what are some of your top contenders in weighing a score if you can release that information
We have always had a weighted score. It's to keep anime/manga with very few members (but high scores) from entering the top charts. For example, only 50 members and a score of 9.12. Hover the score on any page and you'll see a link to the calculation.
Feb 20, 2020 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
paldinWS said:
Jeivee said:

No, this would affect titles that had great seasons (3-gatsu no Lion S2, Shingeki no Kyojin S3 P2, Mob Psycho 100 S2, etc.) and titles that had bad seasons (One Punch Man, Nanatsu no Taizai, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with each season being rated separately, it's that the score of each succeeding season being increasingly inflated. The only people watching season 2+ are people that finished and enjoyed season 1. You're not going to get the people who rated S1 as bad to come back and rate S2+ as also bad.

The other problem is that when you look at the top 50 anime of all time, most of them are not separate shows, but seasons of the same show. If I were new to anime and wanted a list of suggestions, I could be forgiven for thinking that there's only about a dozen good anime and the rest are just mediocre or bad.

Get those seasons off the top50 list. That's all.

Play2X said:

No, not even close.

You can't just say that something like Mob Psycho 100 and Mob Psycho 100 S2 should have shared scores.
That something like One Punch Man and One Punch Man S2 should have shared scores.
That something like Clannad and Clannad: After Story should have shared scores.

A single season can be way different from their sequels. Some were exceptionally better, some were a huge disappointment. And remember, people rate most OVAs way lower than the main show. (e.g. Shokugeki no Soma)

Freeing 10 slots from the Top 50 just to fuck with hundreds of other anime? No, it's not worth it.
removed-userFeb 20, 2020 2:59 AM
Feb 20, 2020 4:29 AM

Feb 2020
Jeivee said:
paldinWS said:

There's nothing wrong with each season being rated separately, it's that the score of each succeeding season being increasingly inflated. The only people watching season 2+ are people that finished and enjoyed season 1. You're not going to get the people who rated S1 as bad to come back and rate S2+ as also bad.

The other problem is that when you look at the top 50 anime of all time, most of them are not separate shows, but seasons of the same show. If I were new to anime and wanted a list of suggestions, I could be forgiven for thinking that there's only about a dozen good anime and the rest are just mediocre or bad.

Get those seasons off the top50 list. That's all.

Play2X said:

No, not even close.

You can't just say that something like Mob Psycho 100 and Mob Psycho 100 S2 should have shared scores.
That something like One Punch Man and One Punch Man S2 should have shared scores.

A single season can be way different from their sequels. Some were exceptionally better, some were a huge disappointment. And remember, people rate most OVAs way lower than the main show. (e.g. Shokugeki no Soma)

Freeing 10 slots from the Top 50 just to fuck with hundreds of other anime? No, it's not worth it.

I disagree. Seasons are often just one or two arcs. The source material is viewed and judged as a whole so why shouldn't the same apply to anime and if some seasons are worse then their prequels or vice versa for reasons related to the business aspect of making an anime then so be it.
Feb 20, 2020 5:17 AM
Dec 2016
finaly, they have made countermeasures against duplicate accounts YAY
Feb 20, 2020 5:29 AM

Aug 2018
Huh, I'm actually surprised SAO as a series wasn't affected as much by the new change taking into account how much it's been bashed on throughout the years. Being as popular as it is like a few of the others featured on the top 50, I assumed there'd be a slight difference included. Real interesting.

TheFirmSword said:
Such a pity I can guarantee you this still doesn't change anything.
MAL ratings are still irrelevant.
And the change in the top and some other few anime doesn't matter and no one cares.
People with legit accounts still will continue to influence the score.
So instead of recounting those stupid scores please improve on basis of how a anime should be scored.

Yeah, man. I see what you mean. As much of a step in the right direction this is, it still doesn't change the fact that these "trolls" will find a means to exploit the system and do many anime dirty in the process. That much will always be a problem within this community.
Feb 20, 2020 6:10 AM

Sep 2018
Why not add a new feature like when anyone rate any anime above then 9 or below then 3 then ask some questions about their rating and check their answers through some function if their answers are right then good otherwise revoke their rating.....
Feb 20, 2020 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
MattheusHellion said:
Jeivee said:

No, not even close.

I disagree. Seasons are often just one or two arcs. The source material is viewed and judged as a whole so why shouldn't the same apply to anime and if some seasons are worse then their prequels or vice versa for reasons related to the business aspect of making an anime then so be it.

MattheusHellion said:
if some seasons are worse then their prequels or vice versa for reasons related to the business aspect of making an anime then so be it

Don't be so immature.

A good season's score shouldn't go lower just because of another season's failures.
A bad season's score shouldn't go higher just because of another season's success.

You should stop this binary thinking.
Feb 20, 2020 7:35 AM
Jan 2020
ah yes the if you disagree with me then we will ban you post, always a good look.
Feb 20, 2020 7:38 AM

Jan 2013
CoruptAngel said:
ah yes the if you disagree with me then we will ban you post, always a good look.

Implying there wasn't a vote brigade? lol
Feb 20, 2020 8:28 AM
Jan 2020
CondemneDio said:
CoruptAngel said:

i would never do such a thing, otherwise the mods would lose their echo chamber.
Feb 20, 2020 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
CoruptAngel said:
CondemneDio said:

i would never do such a thing, otherwise the mods would lose their echo chamber.

Poor you, must be hard.
Feb 20, 2020 11:03 AM
Aug 2015
ganomed said:
I don't see the point of leaving the member count untouched, if you can detect illegitimate accounts you should fix it too as it also affects popularity, when sorting by most members Ishuzoku Reviewers is still #1 of this season.

If they remove them from the member count, the botters will be able to tell when the account is deemed fake.

That would make it so much easier for botters to find a way around it
Feb 20, 2020 11:23 AM

Jun 2015
Kineta said:
Antion said:
We have always had a weighted score. It's to keep anime/manga with very few members (but high scores) from entering the top charts. For example, only 50 members and a score of 9.12. Hover the score on any page and you'll see a link to the calculation.

Yes but it doesn't take into account people who dropped the anime, often rate low/high(not sure if the new algorithm effects them), or many other factors
Feb 20, 2020 11:53 AM
Jun 2016
I don't think is that much of a problem of having all season in one page.
Is like IMDB.

But maybe inside that one main page, we could see the rating for each seasons,ova, episodes,etc
like we can see the ratings for different episodes on IMDB.
Feb 20, 2020 1:01 PM

Jan 2018
Danpmss said:
Dogemy said:

this whole thing wack, i think it did get to number one but what does it matter in the long run? it likely (without any intervention) was not gonna pierce the top 10, so the fact that it got to the 2nd is crazy.
we all just need to let hentai be hentai :(

Some hentai are worth of praise, just look at the holy dominance in market shares of otaku consumism a porn game like Fate has nowadays. It has a reason, and it's not just because it had memetically bad long sex scenes on it (I THINK!)

Ishuzoku Reviewers may have a lot of explicit sexual content, but it's a great and well executed ecchi comedy with clever humor and imaginative plotlines. For a show with the entire premise being based on reviewing sexual life with different species, that's a shiny achievement, as it is literally its main element (things could easily have gone very wrong in absolute trash levels of terrible).

don't get me wrong, i think its good, but its no masterpiece
Feb 20, 2020 1:02 PM

Jan 2018
Connortit said:
Dogemy said:

This might be form nux's video because he did pop that up for a second.
take his reputability as you may.
yea this is a fake image created by someone in nuxs twitter comments there was a guy in one of the threads that proved it was fake the highest IR actually got was 9.21 to FMAB 9.22 then it started dropping

i said this somewhere, but again, i honestly don't care if it got to number one, the fact that it got to the top 10 is all it matters
Feb 20, 2020 2:13 PM
Feb 2020
Tinsel said:
Pipe said:

I understand they have the right to do what they must to avoid getting sued...

However. That's what everyone is confused about. Funimation is an established company with a team of professionals, which included professional administrators who deal with licensing. No one can't understand how a show about literal prostitution slipped under their radar. What were they expecting when they read the plot and script for it? How could they possibly review the show and pick up a license for it in the first place?

As for them following their standards.

What standards?

Funimation has licensed shows like How Not to Summon A Demon Lord, All you need is a Sister, Shinmoneta: A World without dirty jokes, Prison School. Just to name a few.

All of these shows contain VERY sexually explicit content and very questionable moral standards on Funimation's part if they'll allow shows such as those but not a show like IR.

I don't mean to pick a fight. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter.
I think Funi messed up, and that they've been messing up a bit lately.

Not to mention they have lesbian guns where they literally show how to turn girl to gun by, I dont even know how to call it English, it's almost sex.
Feb 20, 2020 7:07 PM

Jan 2008
Just thought I'd chime in with an amusing sub I found.

𝘔𝘢𝘥𝘢𝘰 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬. 𝘈 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴. 𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬.
Feb 20, 2020 8:44 PM
Feb 2020
delta_k said:
Kinfin123 said:

There's not enough respectable anime critics to get a worthwhile average out of it, not to mention the ones with the most pull are YouTubers and... yeah.

Fun fact about critics. You don’t need a good one. You just need a consistent one. Goes for every medium. If you can figure out what the critic does and doesn’t like and how that compares to you, you can make amazing decisions. Learned this lesson a long ago from TotalBiscuit, rest his soul.
Feb 21, 2020 1:07 AM
Feb 2020
Strayfe said:
Just thought I'd chime in with an amusing sub I found.

Hey! I know that anime! The angel got beat up real hard.
Feb 21, 2020 2:48 AM

Aug 2014
About time man...
Feb 21, 2020 6:18 AM
Oct 2018
Yeah,its about 2 specific YouTubers hyping one innocent Anime...MAL needs to srsly take chill pills, stat! XD
Feb 21, 2020 7:12 AM
Jan 2018
OdileKnight said:
Yeah,its about 2 specific YouTubers hyping one innocent Anime...MAL needs to srsly take chill pills, stat! XD

hyping=/= brigrading
also MAL is just fixing the website, they are chill my dude.
Feb 21, 2020 10:31 AM
Sep 2010
OdileKnight said:
agreed
Feb 21, 2020 11:20 AM

May 2018
OdileKnight said:

"10/10 go rate this anime on MAL."
This is called vote brigading , boy.
Plus , I can't......see the hype?
The discussions about the show are pretty dead even though so many users came in.
Feb 21, 2020 11:21 AM

Dec 2018
Meanwhile the actual rating itself is still structurally flawed while the statistics have been rendered even more irrelevant. Why not just drop site-wide ratings all together at this point? Keep it at user-level ratings, confine it to just a display on their page and their review of the show, and stop reporting skewed results for the site overall. Like you said in your own post, this is nothing new, what you chose to leave out is how this is something that has been coming from your end as much as people on the community side.
Feb 21, 2020 11:53 AM
Feb 2020
DomineLkira said:
OdileKnight said:

The discussions about the show are pretty dead even though so many users came in.

That's also hyping. It can be both.

Plus, Mal forums ain't user friendly. Like. I feel like I'm at 2010, especially when I use phone. I found forums (I didn't even knew Mal has ones) by misclicking.
Feb 21, 2020 12:06 PM

May 2018
Animukas13 said:
DomineLkira said:

Plus, Mal forums ain't user friendly. Like. I feel like I'm at 2010, especially when I use phone. I found forums (I didn't even knew Mal has ones) by misclicking.

I am also on mobile and they are pretty okay , dunno why you felt that.
Feb 21, 2020 12:35 PM
Feb 2020
DomineLkira said:
Animukas13 said:

Well. For starter. The more you (who dont use enter often) replay the more word salat it looks like. That's out date way to replaying. Up to date sites actually separate those stuff. Even deviant notes do better job.

Also, forums itself are hardly visible. It's not enough to slap link on title and call a day thinking people who are new here realize there can be forums of different topics.
Feb 21, 2020 2:34 PM

Jun 2015
Animukas13 said:
DomineLkira said:

Well. For starter. The more you (who dont use enter often) replay the more word salat it looks like. That's out date way to replaying. Up to date sites actually separate those stuff. Even deviant notes do better job.

Also, forums itself are hardly visible. It's not enough to slap link on title and call a day thinking people who are new here realize there can be forums of different topics.

So now that the Ishuzoku meme is dead, the "new users" started to bark at MAL for their other features, nitpicking each and every little thing. So who's agenda are you following now? Another youtuber like Hero Hei? Or maybe someone completely new?
Fortune favours the bold!

Feb 21, 2020 2:40 PM
Feb 2020
DeathTheKid4 said:
Animukas13 said:

So now that the Ishuzoku meme is dead, the "new users" started to bark at MAL for their other features, nitpicking each and every little thing. So who's agenda are you following now? Another youtuber like Hero Hei? Or maybe someone completely new?

Wow, an harasser showed up. Go ahead. Name call me that I could report you.
Feb 21, 2020 3:14 PM

Jun 2015
Animukas13 said:
DeathTheKid4 said:

Excuse me? I didn't even harassed you, I was just asking a question lol.

Feb 21, 2020 3:19 PM
Feb 2020
DeathTheKid4 said:
Animukas13 said:

Oh yeah sure. Using words like 'bark' and saying I automatically fallow some kind of agenda just because I'm new here totally meant to be an praise. Dont make me laugh.
Feb 21, 2020 5:01 PM

Jun 2015
Animukas13 said:
DeathTheKid4 said:

Oh yeah sure. Using words like 'bark' and saying I automatically fallow some kind of agenda just because I'm new here totally meant to be an praise. Dont make me laugh.

I didn't praise you either though.

Pages (26) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
5 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.