Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 31, 2020 1:45 PM
Jan 2018
I am seeing that Toho Animation saving the budget a lot by cutting scenes like the impacts when the strike happens. Most of the "one touch" and serves are getting cut through out of the episodes. Was this Season worth to wait 4 whole years?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 31, 2020 2:59 PM
Nov 2019
I also realized that and I think one of the blame for the drop in animation was the change in the old director, he was much more competent.

the animations of the past seasons were fluid and very detailed this season are only fluid and are also less impactful.

than the previous ones It's a shame at least they didn't switch studio could give the same shit that happened to nanatsu no taizai 😓
Jan 31, 2020 5:34 PM

Mar 2015
Things are the way they are now because of the change in direction(both from the show's director and the animation director) and Production I.G actual inability to keep the amounts of details needed before (hence design changes).

Both things came together against the series, so you will neither get the cleanness from before, neither will get the amount of Sakuga.

That said, while things will not look as good as they were, they will still look good enough when it matters(games, and important moments).
Jan 31, 2020 6:16 PM
Mar 2014
do we know why they changed director after 3 seasons? well i also noticed the drop in animation but i hope it's just for now when they are training and they are keeping the budget for the matches
Itachi2027Feb 1, 2020 1:22 AM
Jan 31, 2020 11:08 PM
Apr 2016
Akbe_ said:
I am seeing that Toho Animation saving the budget a lot by cutting scenes like the impacts when the strike happens. Most of the "one touch" and serves are getting cut through out of the episodes. Was this Season worth to wait 4 whole years?

None of the "one touch" and "serves" are important moments in this episode. It's Hinata's development that takes the spotlight, so it's expected that they don't spend budget on those insignificant parts and use it for character expressions instead.
Jan 31, 2020 11:57 PM
Jan 2018
Tsukizono said:
Akbe_ said:

None of the "one touch" and "serves" are important moments in this episode. It's Hinata's development that takes the spotlight, so it's expected that they don't spend budget on those insignificant parts and use it for character expressions instead.
At least they could give us the "touching" animation to the ball intead of cutting it entirely.
Feb 1, 2020 3:32 AM
Nov 2018
Ngl they are cutting scenes too if you have read the manga that is...I never skipped through haikyuu ever but i have been skipping these episodes
Feb 1, 2020 3:49 AM
Apr 2016
sDiatog said:
Ngl they are cutting scenes too if you have read the manga that is...I never skipped through haikyuu ever but i have been skipping these episodes

They haven't cut anything in S4 aside from a few minor details like one small panel that showed Tsukishima in the cafeteria when Hinata was talking about food. A lot of fans complaining need to realise that an adaptation is not a 1:1 of the manga.
ireallywantcakeFeb 1, 2020 4:15 AM
Feb 1, 2020 4:14 AM

Feb 2017
Animation is good as ever. Plus it didn't have much opportunities to shine since we haven't had a game yet. Just character designs changed because Chief Animation Director had changed.
Feb 1, 2020 1:20 PM
Jan 2018
Tsarko said:
Animation is good as ever. Plus it didn't have much opportunities to shine since we haven't had a game yet. Just character designs changed because Chief Animation Director had changed.
Didint you r
Tsarko said:
They cut so much panels to save budget, one time I was like "How the fuck that ball got there that fast" or "When did he hit the ball?". My hope is that they animate the BIG Scenes at a good pace with sakuga moments.
Feb 1, 2020 5:05 PM

Sep 2019
I just got finished binging the entire series to catch up and I. Can’t say I’ve noticed anything really different except for the fact them at we aren’t in the middle of a hype match rn idk what y’all are on about
Feb 2, 2020 1:54 AM
Jun 2019
I just watched the first 5 seconds of the first episode and I already thought something was off with the animation, so I came here and I guess I was right lol
Feb 3, 2020 5:50 AM
Aug 2018
Someone should tell the new director this:
"Bro ok you might be talentless, but don't cut the scenes, you can draw bad but you HAVE to draw. This is your job."

Because bad animation is better than no animation.
Feb 3, 2020 9:02 AM
Apr 2017
New ANIMATION DIRECTOR. not only Director
Feb 3, 2020 3:34 PM
Apr 2017
willkyc03 said:
I also realized that and I think one of the blame for the drop in animation was the change in the old director, he was much more competent.

the animations of the past seasons were fluid and very detailed this season are only fluid and are also less impactful.

than the previous ones It's a shame at least they didn't switch studio could give the same shit that happened to nanatsu no taizai 😓

the current director masako sato is an excellent director, he has worked in haikyuu as an episode director for a long time and is responsible for several of the best episodes in the series like S03xE04,

it was not only the director who changed, but also changed the animation director Takahiro Kishida too, and now is Hideki Takahashi a guy with a more stylized view about animation

in general the staff is the same, same staff in new positions, you guys are so dramatic..
Artur_MoreiraFeb 3, 2020 3:49 PM
Feb 3, 2020 3:41 PM
Jan 2018
Artur_Moreira said:
willkyc03 said:

the current director masako sato is an excellent director, he has worked in haikyuu as an episode director for a long time and is responsible for several of the best episodes in the series like S03xE04,

it was not only the director who changed, but also changed the animation director Takahiro Kishida too, and now is Hideki Takahashi a guy with a more stylized view about animation

in general the staff is the same, same staff in new positions, you guys are so dramatic..
You say these stuff but when they mess up the BIG Moments dont come here to cry, ok dude?
Feb 3, 2020 6:53 PM

May 2016
HA! Be thankful we can still get a quality of animation this good in this day and age of anime.

Like, outside of Unlimited budget works Ufotable and Wit Studios when they bring their A game you can't expect much anymore.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Feb 4, 2020 8:38 AM

Apr 2008
It's tru8e the animation changed and in the last episode, the 4th, it was quite noticeable. I think we've just been spoiled by great moments of animation in the previous season.

Storywise though, it's great as ever and that's what matter in the end.
Feb 6, 2020 12:08 AM

Sep 2014
miss the old anime art style, especially for how Hinata was drawn. His hair looked fluffier before?? if they wanted to make it look more like the manga why didn't they do that from the beginning.
also wtf is this lol he looks cheaply drawn from afar

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Feb 6, 2020 2:28 AM
Apr 2016
sunsetocean said:
if they wanted to make it look more like the manga why didn't they do that from the beginning.
also wtf is this lol he looks cheaply drawn from afar

Manga artstyles change. At the beginning the manga looked like S1 but around the Shiratorizawa match it started changing. The anime's just changing to fit the manga's change.

The first pic is a little off-model but every show has those, it's not a big deal. He looks perfectly fine in the 2nd picture. It's a long shot and not a key animation AND he's in motion. Of course he isn't gonna be very detailed??
Feb 6, 2020 2:29 AM
Apr 2016
Akbe_ said:
You say these stuff but when they mess up the BIG Moments dont come here to cry, ok dude?

As a manga reader, they have not messed up ANY of the big moments in S4 so far.
Feb 6, 2020 2:30 AM
Apr 2016
SerhaTR0483-2 said:
Someone should tell the new director this:
"Bro ok you might be talentless, but don't cut the scenes, you can draw bad but you HAVE to draw. This is your job."

Because bad animation is better than no animation.

Directors aren't animators. Also you're fucking rude, the team clearly worked hard with limited resources. the direction has mistakes but it's great in the important places.
Feb 15, 2020 3:44 PM
Apr 2018
I bet this season won't have THAT many important moments so I don't mind if the animation isn't as clean. The only thing that I don't like is the new designs; not sure if the studio messed up the manga design or if it's just that weird-looking, it looks downgraded imo.
Feb 15, 2020 7:02 PM
Apr 2016
SaiDrew said:
I bet this season won't have THAT many important moments so I don't mind if the animation isn't as clean. The only thing that I don't like is the new designs; not sure if the studio messed up the manga design or if it's just that weird-looking, it looks downgraded imo.

Nah, it looks exactly like the manga actually. Most manga readers love it, i think you anime onlys are just not used to the manga artstyle LOL.

Here are some examples:
Akaashi - https://twitter.com/dorkuto/status/1196370290223267846
Hinata's "I want to beat you" to Hyakuzawa - https://twitter.com/mariaflora1208/status/1224694153012842496
Hinata's nosebleed - https://twitter.com/lovingkenhina/status/1220817137083785216
ireallywantcakeFeb 15, 2020 7:06 PM
Feb 15, 2020 7:21 PM
Apr 2018
Tsukizono said:
SaiDrew said:

Nah, it looks exactly like the manga actually. Most manga readers love it, i think you anime onlys are just not used to the manga artstyle LOL.

Here are some examples:
Akaashi - https://twitter.com/dorkuto/status/1196370290223267846
Hinata's "I want to beat you" to Hyakuzawa - https://twitter.com/mariaflora1208/status/1224694153012842496
Hinata's nosebleed - https://twitter.com/lovingkenhina/status/1220817137083785216
Well, of course we aren't used to it: it's been around 60 episodes of one design, only to discard it.

I guess this sucks for me.
Feb 15, 2020 8:17 PM

Apr 2009
I read the manga and I don't like the designs either. The anime designs have always been superior, not to mention it's terrible to change them after so many seasons.

Kageyama and Asahi look like completely different people. Suga lost his definitive look and now look like another generic boy.

Feb 20, 2020 5:47 AM
Jun 2015
That's what happens when you dont get an adaption for 3 years
Feb 20, 2020 4:53 PM
Jan 2018
This is the one of best comments I have seen about the Season 4 under a Youtube video.

I.N.G;
"I have absolutely no problem with the art style being changed, what pissed me off is the quality of animation drop by a lot. The pacing of every animation is super weird, stretch out and slow. Not to mention the use of still frames, the one I hated the most in anime animation, I could go watch a powerpoint instead and it will be no different. Matches no longer make your blood boil, spiked ball feels no impact at all, and all the moments have super stretch out timing to a point it was awkward.
Me as an amateur animator even know better how to timed the impact frames and timing for action or fast paced animation. For example: when a ball is spike, either your animation follows it all the way through the end with no stop which is fast paced. Or....you use in between style where the point of impact between the ball and the hand is either in slow mo or minimal still frames for 1 or 2 sec, then immediately cuts to where the ball lands.
I don't know what the new director is doing, I counted when they show Ushijima spike in new season using fast paced method, there's literally fcking 3/4 seconds in between the ball was spiked and landed, in fast paced style there should be literally zero seconds delayed. If you animate firing a projectile, the important thing is after you cut to next camera the projectile should hit its destination immediately. You don't show a guy firing a pistol, then cut to the frame of the target for 4 seconds before the bullet hits it, it's fucking weird. It should happen in an instant, pistol fired, cut to next frame, BAM! , target hit by bullets immediately.
Either the new director is a fucking idiot or the project is rushed. If it is rushed, I can wait another 2 years for the animation to live up to its previous name. Meanwhile as a manga reader I got what I need, I can wait, instead we got a nutjob animation for season 4. Opm S2 is a prime example, shame."
Feb 21, 2020 1:02 PM

May 2008
I'm quite surprised that they decided to drop quality of animation. I thought Haikyuu was great success, so it could expect even higher budget and instead got lower. Any reasons? Now character design leans into more like 'cute' theme, instead of cool. They say they want to match manga style, but what about moments where they focus on one character and it supposed to be better drawn (not sure how its called). In previous seasons there were plenty of moments that there were scenes so well drawn you could say its promotion art or fanart, like Nishinoya receiving moments or Kageyama's focus moments and in this season? I cant really see them at all (or they dont looks as cool as before bc of character design?). All things I fell in love in anime Haikyuu (thats why i preferred anime than manga, even when I started as manga reader) are just not there anymore. Maybe when serious matches will come they will try more, but now I cant feel passion like when after cool service or receiving you just wanted to go and play volleyball as well.
Now its a bit like it was in Naruto, when there were episodes with different directors and animators and watchers just needed to dont mind it until something cool in plot will happen and they will hire better ones. Sadly this wont happen with Haikyuu.
Anyone knows Japanese response about quality drop?
Feb 21, 2020 1:58 PM

Aug 2015
Shiro-cat said:
I'm quite surprised that they decided to drop quality of animation. I thought Haikyuu was great success, so it could expect even higher budget and instead got lower. Any reasons? Now character design leans into more like 'cute' theme, instead of cool. They say they want to match manga style, but what about moments where they focus on one character and it supposed to be better drawn (not sure how its called). In previous seasons there were plenty of moments that there were scenes so well drawn you could say its promotion art or fanart, like Nishinoya receiving moments or Kageyama's focus moments and in this season? I cant really see them at all (or they dont looks as cool as before bc of character design?). All things I fell in love in anime Haikyuu (thats why i preferred anime than manga, even when I started as manga reader) are just not there anymore. Maybe when serious matches will come they will try more, but now I cant feel passion like when after cool service or receiving you just wanted to go and play volleyball as well.
Now its a bit like it was in Naruto, when there were episodes with different directors and animators and watchers just needed to dont mind it until something cool in plot will happen and they will hire better ones. Sadly this wont happen with Haikyuu.
Anyone knows Japanese response about quality drop?

First of all, the budget is not so important in anime production as the same budget is distributed to all series. I don't think there is a difference on this point.

The new season has mainly a new staff. Mainly made up of people who have worked on Haikyuu (and other ProdIG series like Kaze ga Tsuyoku). There are also some key animators like Mukouda (I think).

The artstyle has been redesigned by Kishida so that the chara designs are more like manga. (Admit that the chara design has changed a lot in the manga)

My personal opinion:
I think this is not the best part of Haikyuu, an arc containing many, many trainings. (Possibly the worst in the manga) So the spectators are a bit biased compared to the intense matches of the previous two seasons. (+/- nostalgia)
Regarding the visuals, some people point out that the animation does not show when the hand hits the ball or that the timing is not always very well managed.
Overall, I don't really see a glaring difference between the previous seasons and the current season. But I must admit that the most important point (for me) is pacing and I recognize it's not systematically well executed. Particularly the second part of episode 3. (and a bit for episode 4)

Generally speaking, I also think this season is trying to be too much like the support. Imo, an adaptation is not that. But also bring some variations or improvements to give an interest to this so-called adaptation. Not just get the "color version manga with animation".
TuyNOMFeb 21, 2020 2:05 PM
Feb 21, 2020 5:46 PM

Jun 2015
Tsukizono, we get it, man, you like Haikyuu but nothing can change the fact that the production quality of the show in this season took a dunk.
The animation is virtually nonexistent, there's more time showing still frames than motion. Even during some dialogue only scenes they don't even show the speaking person face, they show the back of people or even the freaking floor.
And the characters may have been changed to resemble the designs from the manga, but that doesn't justify them looking way worse than they originally did. The new ones are way uglier than the old ones and that's a fact. Kageyama's eyes seem like they will pop out of his head any minute.
And it obviously originated from the manga, but the storyline in this season is a disaster. I'm fine with training arcs but the execution here is plain terrible. 7 episodes in and only 2 signifcant moments have ocurred. This season is a waste of time.
Feb 21, 2020 7:55 PM
Apr 2016
Perrito said:

nothing can change the fact that the production quality of the show in this season took a dunk.
Even during some dialogue only scenes they don't even show the speaking person face, they show the back of people or even the freaking floor.

I agree there's flaws with the direction, but it doesn't warrant being dunked on. Most of the comments in the thread are just shitting on the show now, it's not a very nice place to be.

Perrito said:

The animation is virtually nonexistent, there's more time showing still frames than motion.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/113140 - sure, just ignore these amazing moments of animation. It's not like S1-3 didn't have any still frames??? They're used effectively definitely.

Perrito said:

And the characters may have been changed to resemble the designs from the manga, but that doesn't justify them looking way worse than they originally did. The new ones are way uglier than the old ones and that's a fact.

That's an opinion. YOUR opinion.

Perrito said:

And it obviously originated from the manga, but the storyline in this season is a disaster. I'm fine with training arcs but the execution here is plain terrible. 7 episodes in and only 2 signifcant moments have ocurred. This season is a waste of time.

I can count wayy more than 2 significant moments.
Kageyama's "I'll be going ahead", Washijo and Hinata talking, Hinata under the mats, Split step moment, Hinata asking Ushijima for advice, Hoshiumi's spike, Goody two shoes, Hinata and Hyakuzawa's moment, Kindaichi and Hinata talk about what happened in middle school, Washijo's hunger speech, "You can fly higher", Return of the king of the court

There are pretty much no wasted scenes in the series, everything that's happened will be relevant in the future. Even seemingly irrelevant scenes like randomly showing kinoshita serving.

We get it man, you don't like the season, and that's okay. It doesn't mean it's terrible, it just doesn't suit your tastes.
Feb 22, 2020 6:15 AM

Aug 2019
well we haven't really gotten much PROPER games like the last couple of seasons. i haven't even noticed the lack, but the scenes where it's MEANT to have good animation..... does have good animation. the only thing that's changed is the art style but honestly i've barely noticed that.
Feb 22, 2020 6:28 AM

May 2008
TuyNOM said:

First of all, the budget is not so important in anime production as the same budget is distributed to all series. I don't think there is a difference on this point.

Not sure what you mean here, so every anime in this season have the same budget or every season of haikyuu had it?

Tsukizono said:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/113140 - sure, just ignore these amazing moments of animation. It's not like S1-3 didn't have any still frames??? They're used effectively definitely.

Kageyama's "I'll be going ahead", Washijo and Hinata talking, Hinata under the mats, Split step moment, Hinata asking Ushijima for advice, Hoshiumi's spike, Goody two shoes, Hinata and Hyakuzawa's moment, Kindaichi and Hinata talk about what happened in middle school, Washijo's hunger speech, "You can fly higher", Return of the king of the court

There are pretty much no wasted scenes in the series, everything that's happened will be relevant in the future. Even seemingly irrelevant scenes like randomly showing kinoshita serving.

You know that its sport anime, not slice of life? I get these are important scenes, but still if we get one sentence that its super important per episode it doesnt make it super interesting, so I get people that can find this season the dullest one. As for that scene of king of the court you linked, I dont think its that amazing in animation comparing to super important scenes in previous seasons. I get that various people have various opinions, but no one was really complaining for previous seasons and now i heard plenty of people of doing that, but yeah thats just matter of taste right? (same like one punch man, people just didnt like change of character design right??? ) Maybe I sound as that old guy from audience who was complaining too much for karasuno, bc I rewatched 2 seasons recently, but then it made me feel more excited for watching the same scenes than watching new. Thats kind of sad.

So detailed animation huh. (somehow i cant post gifs here?? )

LINK
And this is from previous seasons: (second i think?)

LINK
Shiro-catFeb 22, 2020 7:04 AM
Feb 24, 2020 8:37 PM

Mar 2018
Okay for some reason I was really on board with the "this season looks bad" train, but I rewatched the whole thing while having my sakuga radar at maximum sensivity, and my conclusion is that it still moves really really well, animation-wise it's actually not that far from what it used to be, but the charaters are off model way more often and the design change is pretty damn distracting until you get used to it. Also, It's way closer to the manga, meaning that some scenes might have a disturbing "panel by panel" feeling.

Now that I can say I'm fine with the look, the story can fully shine, and boy I think what happened in the last ep was one of the best character moment in the whole series. The whole season has been just as well written as the others, it's simply way more subtle in it's presentation.

Feb 25, 2020 6:02 AM
Apr 2015
Shiro-cat said:
TuyNOM said:

Not sure what you mean here, so every anime in this season have the same budget or every season of haikyuu had it?

Tsukizono said:

You know that its sport anime, not slice of life? I get these are important scenes, but still if we get one sentence that its super important per episode it doesnt make it super interesting, so I get people that can find this season the dullest one. As for that scene of king of the court you linked, I dont think its that amazing in animation comparing to super important scenes in previous seasons. I get that various people have various opinions, but no one was really complaining for previous seasons and now i heard plenty of people of doing that, but yeah thats just matter of taste right? (same like one punch man, people just didnt like change of character design right??? ) Maybe I sound as that old guy from audience who was complaining too much for karasuno, bc I rewatched 2 seasons recently, but then it made me feel more excited for watching the same scenes than watching new. Thats kind of sad.

LINK

LINK

Exactly my thoughts. People nowadays are way too much conciliatory when it comes to animation in anime. If we don't let the creators know that we are not pleased with it, it will only get worse and worse in the future. It's the same reason why most of the anime that are being produced right now are generic pieces of shit with below-average animation, etc. It's clear that the previous seasons had the superior animation/pacing and further denying it only because "we should be glad that they even made the next season" mindset is beyond stupid. Let's not forget that it's sports anime and if the ball play looks like it's lacking speed and impact that's just really bad. And as I agree that off-courts moments are just as much important as the on-court ones, I just can't agree that they are the most important ones. I was never bored watching Haikyuu, but S4 episodes make me sleepy af. It's just boring! But it's not because of the content, it's because of the way these episodes are made. It just feels like every episode has a depression. Just compare any training match from the previous season, with any training match from this seasons, it's clearly lacking something.
Feb 25, 2020 5:09 PM
Apr 2016
GameDSS said:

Exactly my thoughts. People nowadays are way too much conciliatory when it comes to animation in anime. If we don't let the creators know that we are not pleased with it, it will only get worse and worse in the future.

You do know that it's not that the animators don't want to, is that they DON'T HAVE THE BUDGET AND ENERGY? Animators literally get overworked to death and are super underpaid. You're not entitled to anything from them.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/7/2/20677237/anime-industry-japan-artists-pay-labor-abuse-neon-genesis-evangelion-netflix
https://nextshark.com/veteran-anime-artist-allegedly-dies-overwork-japan/

If you really want animation to "get better", go pay the animators yourself to make their lives easier. Voicing your concerns is not going to change anything. I'm not talking about buying merch, go to the animator's patreon whatever yourself because animators are paid per cut regardless of what the anime makes so there is no income distribution. Or you can donate to the Anime Dormitory project - https://gogetfunding.com/2019-animator-dormitory-project/
Feb 26, 2020 1:01 AM
Apr 2015
Tsukizono said:
GameDSS said:

Exactly my thoughts. People nowadays are way too much conciliatory when it comes to animation in anime. If we don't let the creators know that we are not pleased with it, it will only get worse and worse in the future.

You do know that it's not that the animators don't want to, is that they DON'T HAVE THE BUDGET AND ENERGY? Animators literally get overworked to death and are super underpaid. You're not entitled to anything from them.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/7/2/20677237/anime-industry-japan-artists-pay-labor-abuse-neon-genesis-evangelion-netflix
https://nextshark.com/veteran-anime-artist-allegedly-dies-overwork-japan/

If you really want animation to "get better", go pay the animators yourself to make their lives easier. Voicing your concerns is not going to change anything. I'm not talking about buying merch, go to the animator's patreon whatever yourself because animators are paid per cut regardless of what the anime makes so there is no income distribution. Or you can donate to the Anime Dormitory project - https://gogetfunding.com/2019-animator-dormitory-project/

And where exactly did I say that it's the animator's fault? It's not like the animator has any control over the production and budget of the series. Animators getting overworked is caused by bad management and straight-up expecting too much in a short time, and that's why I mentioned the
most of the anime that are being produced right now are generic pieces of shit with below-average animation, etc.
part. Shows like One Punch Man 2, etc. where rushed cash grabs and people still had the "we should be glad" mindset. Also, you don't have to tell me about the problems of the industry as I am well aware of them and when it comes to supporting animators, I'm a patron of many aspiring young animators on Patreon.
GameDSSMar 16, 2020 9:23 PM
Feb 26, 2020 2:07 PM

Mar 2014
Some of the takes in this thread are disgusting. "We have to let the creators know we aren't pleased with it or it will get worse"? Give me a break. The production values on this are still very high, higher than 90% of all other anime, DESPITE being a sports anime, which typically need many many more shots than the average anime, and features a ton of character movement. (IMO it looks great)

You are simply placing the bar too high, comparing every single shot to previous seasons will only lessen your enjoyment and makes you sound entitled.
Feb 26, 2020 2:55 PM

May 2016
I don't want to pour hate on the animators or pretty much anyone, but I reeeally don't like the new style. It looks a lot worse than before.
Even if it didn't look that bad I still wouldn't be the biggest fan of it since I'm already used to seeing the old design and changing it now, in fourth season, is probably not the best idea.
Some people say they enjoy it because it's more similar to the manga, but I'm gonna be honest - the only reason I'm not a manga reader is because I find the art style hideous XD
Anyway, Haikyuu is one of my all-time favorites and I'll still love the series no matter what it looks like. I'll just have to bear with the new style a little, until I get used to it.
Feb 27, 2020 7:57 AM
Oct 2013
It's definately not on par with the previous seasons, the fluiditiy of movements isn't notable, they all seem a bit stiff.
They also elected to freestyle sakuga drawings while animating the hype parts, which will be weird during actual matches.
still, the content and ost + direction is still top notch. so it will even out, no worries for me.
Feb 27, 2020 2:13 PM
Jun 2013
LauraBirdie said:
Some of the takes in this thread are disgusting. "We have to let the creators know we aren't pleased with it or it will get worse"? Give me a break. The production values on this are still very high, higher than 90% of all other anime, DESPITE being a sports anime, which typically need many many more shots than the average anime, and features a ton of character movement. (IMO it looks great)

You are simply placing the bar too high, comparing every single shot to previous seasons will only lessen your enjoyment and makes you sound entitled.

It's simply the current and sad state of this forum's site, a bunch of ignorant takes without knowing anything behind it, complaining about the art when is literally the same from the manga, complaining about "lack of animation" when it's perfectly well animated and superior than 95% or even more of the season. Reason for that? it's the new trend to act like a "animation production" expert.

Not even Haikyuu is able to escape the level of toxicity in this site lately
Feb 28, 2020 1:42 PM
Feb 2020
GameDSS said:
Shiro-cat said:

LINK

LINK

Exactly my thoughts. People nowadays are way too much conciliatory when it comes to animation in anime. If we don't let the creators know that we are not pleased with it, it will only get worse and worse in the future. It's the same reason why most of the anime that are being produced right now are generic pieces of shit with below-average animation, etc. It's clear that the previous seasons had the superior animation/pacing and further denying it only because "we should be glad that they even made the next season" mindset is beyond stupid. Let's not forget that it's sports anime and if the ball play looks like it's lacking speed and impact that's just really bad. And as I agree that off-courts moments are just as much important as the on-court ones, I just can't agree that they are the most important ones. I was never bored watching Haikyuu, but S4 episodes make me sleepy af. It's just boring! But it's not because of the content, it's because of the way these episodes are made. It just feels like every episode has a depression. Just compare any training match from the previous season, with any training match from this seasons, it's clearly lacking something.
Nice summary for my emotions for this season. Change in stuff members, espacially the DIRECTORS are always been "bad" (Trying different styles (art and animation) after 60 Episodes is kinda non sense.
Mar 1, 2020 1:05 PM

Mar 2018
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
LauraBirdie said:

It's simply the current and sad state of this forum's site, a bunch of ignorant takes without knowing anything behind it, complaining about the art when is literally the same from the manga, complaining about "lack of animation" when it's perfectly well animated and superior than 95% or even more of the season. Reason for that? it's the new trend to act like a "animation production" expert.

Not even Haikyuu is able to escape the level of toxicity in this site lately

"Complaining about the art when is literally the same from the manga".

Well...yes ? I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who don't like how Furudate draws his characters and that prefer previous seasons' artstyle.
Mar 2, 2020 2:14 AM

Jun 2013
guess the show really is shit if people care so much about animation change
Mar 21, 2020 3:04 PM
Mar 2020
I just saw the last 2 episodes of the season 4 (ep. 10,11) yesterday and I must say that animation is getting worse and worse. There isn´t that smooth flow of the game as we all know and love from previous seasons. Sometimes it looks like players don´t even touch the ball when they are passing. Almost all serves, spikes and even recevies are without impact. Some sceens of passes and one-touches are cut as much as possible and it looks awful, things like block outs are just incomplete without sceens of the ball bouncing of the floor on the other side of the court. Sceens of audience are horrifying, really hope they will do it better in next episodes and people that aren´t saying anything will actually at least move their hands when they are cheering. Pretty much it is almost bad for my eyes to watch Karasuno´s match with Tsubakihara in last 2 episodes as they are now.

I want to see more of comments sceens from other players that are watching Karasuno´s match online like Date Tech and even more than that I want to see sceens of thoughts of players when they are playing because they are missing and that way you don´t get that whole feeling of the match as in previous seasons. This is one of the things that I miss the most in new season. And another important thing is that animation is without spikes from different angles.

I hope that running up of players will get better, I indeed can´t stand animation of synchronized attack as it is now. Then I hope that freak quick and the animation as a whole will get a lot more detailed and sharp + Hinata and most of other spikers will actually have the whole animation of spiking the ball. I know that freak quick should be really quick but what we have got now isn´t even half as good as it should be. I was really looking forward to Hinata´s funny receives in the last episode (ep. 11) but they looked kinda really dull and weren´t as much impactful as I hoped they would be, they really don´t show as much Shoyo´s progress as in manga.

Although, I still love Haikyuu and it´s one of my favorite animes especially because of its spectacular animation that is in season 1-3. I really hope that animation will get a lot more better in next episodes because this really isn´t Haikyuu that I´m used to and want to watch and I think that a lot of people agree with me and I really, like really don´t want to Haikyuu to end up as Nanatsu no Tanzai.
Mar 21, 2020 4:41 PM
Jun 2019
MaeStroLag said:
I just saw the last 2 episodes of the season 4 (ep. 10,11) yesterday and I must say that animation is getting worse and worse. There isn´t that smooth flow of the game as we all know and love from previous seasons. Sometimes it looks like players don´t even touch the ball when they are passing. Almost all serves, spikes and even recevies are without impact. Some sceens of passes and one-touches are cut as much as possible and it looks awful, things like block outs are just incomplete without sceens of the ball bouncing of the floor on the other side of the court. Sceens of audience are horrifying, really hope they will do it better in next episodes and people that aren´t saying anything will actually at least move their hands when they are cheering. Pretty much it is almost bad for my eyes to watch Karasuno´s match with Tsubakihara in last 2 episodes as they are now.

I want to see more of comments sceens from other players that are watching Karasuno´s match online like Date Tech and even more than that I want to see sceens of thoughts of players when they are playing because they are missing and that way you don´t get that whole feeling of the match as in previous seasons. This is one of the things that I miss the most in new season. And another important thing is that animation is without spikes from different angles.

I hope that running up of players will get better, I indeed can´t stand animation of synchronized attack as it is now. Then I hope that freak quick and the animation as a whole will get a lot more detailed and sharp + Hinata and most of other spikers will actually have the whole animation of spiking the ball. I know that freak quick should be really quick but what we have got now isn´t even half as good as it should be. I was really looking forward to Hinata´s funny receives in the last episode (ep. 11) but they looked kinda really dull and weren´t as much impactful as I hoped they would be, they really don´t show as much Shoyo´s progress as in manga.

Although, I still love Haikyuu and it´s one of my favorite animes especially because of its spectacular animation that is in season 1-3. I really hope that animation will get a lot more better in next episodes because this really isn´t Haikyuu that I´m used to and want to watch and I think that a lot of people agree with me and I really, like really don´t want to Haikyuu to end up as Nanatsu no Tanzai.
I agree with you 100%. I hope the animation changes in the 2nd part
Mar 22, 2020 2:42 AM
Mar 2020
Thank you man, I hope it will get really a lot better soon too. I really want to see matches against Mia twins, Nekoma and Kamomedai in top quality. Looking forward these ones from time I saw them in manga but when the animation will remain the same it will just ruin everything. Especially those Hinata´s minus tempo boom jumps.
Mar 23, 2020 5:20 AM

Mar 2014
Imagine calling the last episode bad from a visual standpoint, and worse from the rest while it was actually the best looking episode this season.....maybe stop watching completely because your demands for the animation are kinda unreasonable. Season 3 was and probably will be an exception, do not expect something like that for a "simple" match.
Mar 23, 2020 6:46 AM
Jan 2017
I don't really have a problem with the new artstyle, in fact I think some of the characters actually look better in the new style.In one of the press conferences last year, they said that with the new style, the drawings would become much easier. So I was very excited to see the changes. But my main problem with this season is the drop in animation quality - especially scenes of ball-impact (spikes, receives, blocks etc) and off ball movements. Also the spin and float on the ball don't seem very realistic. Frankly I didn't think that the change of the Director and Chief Animation Director would change the animation so much. The dynamics of the characters also seem off a lot of the times. I was waiting for the Tsubakihara match to see how they would handle the matches but I have to say I wasn't very satisfied. Apart from a few scenes by Hideki Takahashi (which were quite impressive on their own btw), I couldn't find the quality of animation I was looking for, the quality which till now separated Haikyuu from the rest of the sports anime out there.

Considering what we have witnessed from the first three seasons, it really pains me to see this season not getting the handling it deserves. Don't get me wrong though, I don't for a moment think that the series is in the wrong hands; imo Production IG is probably the best studio there is to work on anime related to sports (well apart from Madhouse ig.. ) and if you say that this season is still better than most of the works that are coming out, I would 100% agree with you. But after seeing what Production IG is truly capable of, I just don't understand why they had to drop the quality of animation now, since HQ is probably their best work till date and no doubt very popular. Is it because they are working on a bigger project at the moment?Is it due to budgetary restrictions ( probably saving for the 2nd cour?) Or during the formation of Wit Studios, most of the good animators moved there?

Being a sports fanatic myself, I was always interested in sports anime and Haikyuu became my favourite anime in no time. To me it was one of the few shows which not only did justice to the manga but also improved upon it in its own way. I just loved how realistic it was and how it portrayed character movement and interactions with a high degree of accuracy. So it will break my heart if the animation doesn't improve in the next season considering the most important matches are coming up, especially the one against the Miya twins.

Also, sorry for my bad English...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

176 by Jekkii1 »»
Apr 4, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

69 by Jekkii1 »»
Mar 23, 4:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

94 by adbeaver »»
Feb 25, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

107 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

84 by Remotepaper »»
Jan 20, 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.