Forum Settings
Forums

Granblue Fantasy Versus and the state of Fighting Games

New
Dec 14, 2019 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
I’m a big fighting game fan. It was members of the FGC that got me into anime to begin with. Like alot of people my age I started on the SNES playing Killer Instinct and Street Fighter. Then Tekken and Mortal Kombat on PlayStation with friends or against the CPU.
Street Fighter 4, Blazblue, Under Night In-Birth, Soul Calibur 4 and Killer Instinct are my favourites of the past decade. I tried to get into others like MvC3 but I just sucked too bad.

It takes me a long time to ‘git gud’ at a fighting game. But once I have mastered my character and the mechanics I can do very well and climb the ranks. This means I need to invest a hell of a lot of time into the game.

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of fighting games - particularly anime fighters suffer from a problem. These games are hard playing against an opponent online. So the casual player base usually doesn’t stay for very long. And if the online connectivity isn’t very good then the game will die out fast. I wanted to get into some anime fighters that were just so dead online asides from the elite players that I simply didn’t bother at all. I fear that this may happen with Granblue Fantasy Versus aswell but I’m really hoping that this time will be different (not holding my breath though).

I’m currently watching the anime for the backstory to the characters.

I also feel like fighting games missed the boat with streaming and esports. Back when twitch tv was Justin tv fighting game tournaments were big hype! It was amazing! But there weren’t any pro players who were also doing the YouTube thing the way that we’re seen the FPS community do it. Now we see big esports for FPS games but not for fighting games. It’s a big shame that the FGC didn’t take full advantage around 2010.

So what about you guys? Are you going to get Granblue Fantasy Versus next year? And what do you think about the state of fighting games, esports and online play right now?

Character trailers:

removed-userDec 14, 2019 9:30 AM
Dec 14, 2019 6:45 AM

Jan 2009
i was a fan of Marvel vs Capcom especially the first one and my favorite character there was Captain Commando and Strider Hiryu but i suck at playing it though lol although my brother can play decent and he plays Dragonball FighterZ too now a days although ye only with bots offline
Dec 14, 2019 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
so by marvel vs capcom being on the list you mean dragon ball fighterz right xd

im probably finna get granblue fantasy, visually looks very good and i like those sounds of weapons clinking against each other

i hope there will be some kind of new game to make a splash at evo next year, of the games i enjoy playing that are at evo (SFV, smash, DBFZ) SFV is the only one that's actually really entertaining
Dec 14, 2019 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
KairoSeijuro said:
so by marvel vs capcom being on the list you mean dragon ball fighterz right xd

I meant to put Dragon Ball FighterZ in the poll. Looks like I missed it still somehow from my notes. Okay added it to the bottom of the poll.
Feb 5, 2020 11:52 PM

Sep 2008
soul calibur for multiple reasons.
I like swordfights in general, the designs appeal to me, the system makes sense.
SC's combos are constructed in a way that just clicks for me.
press button, basic slash. press button plus forward button, long slash. etc.
there are no random combo lines.
I don't have to input a hella long sequences.
I wish there was a bleach game that wasn't shovelware.

I was really interested in granblue versus until I found out that there are no female dorafs. they added narmaya by now thankfully but just one character, who's a damn DLC won't sell me a game. add 10 big tiddy dorafs for free and make it available on pc. then I'll consider buying.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Feb 6, 2020 12:00 AM

Apr 2013
The only fighting games I really played for a longer amount of time are Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 4, so my vote goes to that franchise naturally. I played a bit of Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur as well and they were good games too.
Feb 7, 2020 12:47 PM

Dec 2017
Dead or Alive because best waifus.

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
1 hour ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
7 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.