Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 4, 3:28 PM

I wanna switch things up from my usual so I’m looking for any good anime from the 90s or early 2000s to add to my plan to watch list. I’m not super nit picky so even if you think it’s just a really fun watch go ahead and recommend it.

You don’t have to look at my watched list either cause I’ve only seen like less than 10 anime fitting this description, and don’t worry about repeating ones in my plan to watch either cause it’ll just reinforce my urge and interest to watch it.

Some I’ve Watched and Liked: Full Metal Panic!, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece.

Preferably: Action, Adventure, Thriller, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Dark Ones, Good Mecha.

Dec 4, 4:04 PM

Gasaraki - a gripping military drama featuring grounded, realistic mechas in a Middle Eastern conflict. The first few episodes are available officially on YouTube if you wanna give it a trial run before committing to watching the whole show. There's also a supernatural element, but I haven't watched far enough yet to see how it all plays out.

Martian Successor Nadesico - similar to Full Metal Panic in that it successfully merges comedy with serious mecha action and dramatic moments. Nadesico is much more parody focused, as it lovingly pokes fun at many mecha tropes from the time and mecha otaku. The whole show is available officially on YouTube for free (but not the sequel movie).

Initial D series - an essential anime, with it's iconic eurobeat soundtrack and awesome depictions of 90s cars. Has some janky dated CGI, but honestly that's one of the parts of its charm. First, Second, and Fourth stage are all officially available on YouTube for free.

Infinite Ryvius - a Lord of the Flies style story where a large group of teenagers get stranded in space on an experimental ship. Very heavy focus on character drama, the kids' various attempts to enforce order on the ship, and the mysteries of the ship itself.

Yu Yu Hakusho - one of the most ESSENTIAL shonen animes, YYH defined the tournament arc. It's also by the same creator as Hunter x Hunter, so you may find it interesting from the standpoint of essentially being HxH's predecessor.

Seikai no Monshou - a human admitted into alien mobility and the alien princess are caught in the crossfire when a dormant conflict reignites. Very nice attention to detail during the ship battles, with close up shots of the ship's weapons functioning. I will warn you that the ship combat isn't a very big part of the show, and it is very dialogue heavy. That being said, the moments where Jinto and Lafiel get to just chat are the strongest parts of this show imo, I'm a sucker for human/alien romances.

Samurai Champloo - generally considered one of the best anime series of the 00s, Samurai Champloo uses it's episodic format to tell a series of tight, character focused stories as our 3 misfit protagonists search for the samurai who smells of sunflowers. Features a super chill hip-hop soundtrack and mixes in elements of hip-hop culture into it's storytelling and stylized depiction of feudal Japan. The whole show is available for free subbed on YouTube, but I highly recommend watching this dub. The first few dub episodes are available on there if you wanna test the dub before deciding to settle on one language.

Soukyuu no Fafner - what starts as a seemingly shameless Evangelion clone quickly grows its own legs as it tackles themes of communication and harmony, with a unique alien species as the enemy. Honestly, this entry is ok but it really gets great as you go into the sequel material, which was mostly released in the 2010s, so if it's not totally clicking I recommend powering through it so you can get to the Heaven & Earth movie, and then the masterpiece that is Fafner Exodus.

Dec 4, 4:28 PM

Top wo Nerae Gunbuster and its successor Diebuster
Video Girl Ai
Mononoke Hime ("Princess Mononoke")
Seikai no Monshou ("Crest of the Stars/Battle of the Stars")
Hidamari no Ki
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Hikaru no Go
RahXephon
Juuni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms")
Sennen Joyou ("Millennium Actress")
Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ("Somedays Children")
Planetes
Monster
Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu ("Tweeny Witches")
School Rumble
Noein

Dec 4, 5:39 PM

Filtered my list for airing dates from 1990-2005.
Here are the ones it came up with:

+1 Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Great Teacher Onizuka
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Paranoia Agent

Dec 4, 9:08 PM

Armitage III
Gunsmith Cats
Blue Submarine 6
R.O.D. (Read or Die)
Vision of Escaflowne

Dec 4, 9:54 PM
+1 Neon Genesis Evangelion
+1 Samurai Champloo
+1 Cowboy Bebop

Dec 4, 10:19 PM

Thanks for all the recs everyone, a lot of these peaked my interest. I’ll start watching them once I finish up the beauty that is Hunter x Hunter.

Dec 5, 11:02 AM

We've got very different tastes, but hey maybe you might want to give some of these a try:
  • Air - already in your PTW list, but just gonna put this on here so that you watch it ASAP. not as humorous as Angel Beats, but as Key worked on both of these, the humor that is present here definitely has its moments and might remind you of that show.
  • Ojamajo Doremi - airing at the perfect criteria you're looking for (this series began in 1999 and ended in 2000, though there are more seasons after this), this is a show about three human girls and their daily lives while they become witch apprentices and work part-time at a magic shop. this may be a children's show, but don't overlook it because of that fact—if you want something that has serious heart and tackles heavy topics well, you will want to give this show a shot.
  • Princess Tutu - if Ojamajo Doremi is a bit too girly or kiddie for your liking, then check out another anime that the director of that show also directed—this one's got a bit of a weird (but definitely unique) premise about a girl who not only isn't actually human, but can turn into a ballerina named Princess Tutu, who has to collect shards of a prince's heart. if you want something unique and with hidden depth to its story, give this one a shot—there's a reason why this anime's kinda considered a cult classic on the internet (if you don't believe me, you can always read how a 4chan anon described this anime... it's pretty spoilery though)
  • Prétear: The New Legend of Snow White - oh look, what do you know, another early 2000s magical girl anime directed by the same director as the past two entries here—in fact, that same director actually created this series. this is essentially an anime that takes the story of Snow White, but cleverly twists it into a magical girl anime with a big focus on character development and drama. if you're really into those two aspects, you'll probably like this anime and the aforementioned Princess Tutu a lot.
  • Uta Kata - here's another magical girl anime that is similarly dark than the past two entries here, but is definitely way more darker (recommendations between this anime and Puella Magi Madoka Magica are not uncommon here). unlike most other magical girl anime that either focus on becoming a good girl or fighting evil, this is an anime that uses pretty visuals and great music/OP/ED to hide its true nature of being a psychological coming-of-age story. if you really like stories like that, you should definitely give this anime a shot—it's pretty underrated in my opinion.
  • Twin Spica - this is a (loosely) sci-fi anime based off of one of my favorite manga of all time. it has mentions of space and takes place in a space school, but otherwise feels like a realistic seinen slice-of-life story with a couple of feels here and there. i haven't finished the anime but i really want to finish it—you should give this a shot too if you want something more down-to-earth.
  • Azumanga Daioh - ...ooookay here, to lighten things up, i'll end this list with a comedy recommendation. this anime is really really funny and if you wanted something like lucky star, but with more going on and with less of the otaku stuff and more of the crazy comedy hijinks, go ahead and give this a shot. that's all i can really say to sell you on this, just go and watch it lol

Dec 6, 12:49 PM

The Slayers - Comedic Action/Adventure about a sorceress who travels around in search of money. Pretty typical example of 90s style shonen, but it's done very well and it's shorter, making it more easily digestible. Each season works on its own, the first 3 seasons are the most highly-recommended.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Classic 90s shonen about somebody who dies unexpectedly and becomes a ghost hunter of sorts. Kind of similar to Bleach and Dragon Ball Z, but much shorter and less filler-y.

Outlaw Star - Space adventure series about bounty hunters. Kind of like a goofier, more over the top Cowboy Bebop.

Trigun - Another comedic action/adventure about a wanted gunman travels around, getting involved with various conflicts along the way.

Evangelion - A "mech" series that places heavy focus on psychology and depression as it examines the mental states of the main pilots as they fight alien invaders. It was considered revolutionary at the time, but so many shows have copied it since that it could be seen as dry or typical now. Still, it's such a classic that every anime viewer needs to watch. Make sure to watch End of Evangelion after the series. It was a huge influence on Darling in the Franxx, which you appear to have enjoyed.

RahXephon - Very similar to Evangelion, it involves a mech pilot who asks existential questions as he faces off against alien invaders.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - Government agency on the hunt for cyber criminals. Another very influential anime that has been copied to death, but still holds up.

Paranoia Agent - Police search for somebody who is attacking people seemingly at random. Another "question everything" series.

Serial Experiments Lain - A girl who becomes obsessed with the internet. It blurs the lines between real life and virtual reality. A bit dated in its use of technology, but still a fascinating story.

Yu-Gi-Oh 1999 - The first anime adaption of Yu-Gi-Oh, this was before the card game really took over and features the gang playing "games" with bullies and such where their soul is at stake.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - I haven't seen it myself, so I can't really comment on it, but based on its reputation and how much shoujo you've seen, you NEED to watch it.
Modified by EpsilonX, Dec 6, 1:04 PM

Dec 6, 12:54 PM

Trigun (1998). A classic :)