Forum Settings
Forums

if a user is inactive for x amount of months their scores will not be counted to the global scores or top ranks of anime? and if they become active again for at least x amount of months then they will be included again new accounts are part of this

New
Nov 15, 2019 3:42 AM

Jan 2009
so is this good enough solution to the problem of top scores?

its not like an inactive account scores will be totally gone its just gonna be excluded for the time being until they become active again

and new accounts are by default excluded for x amount of months of activity to the global scores inclusion

the bots/spam/alt accounts for scores are getting ridiculous like this current hot one https://myanimelist.net/anime/37379/Chihayafuru_3/stats

EDIT:

i got this idea from those xenforo forums about that "established member" feature where if a user in inactive for sometime then they cannot see the contents of spoiler tags on the forums

EDIT:

as for fear of the top list gonna be full of current airing anime see my answer here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1811136&show=0#msg58662593
degNov 29, 2019 12:00 AM
Nov 15, 2019 5:35 AM

Jun 2017
No, top anime are already filled with newer anime. If we exclude the score of old accounts, older anime go downer and downer.

Also your suggestion wouldn't fix the problem of Chihayafuru 3 "in an instant" and probably after some time those bot accounts get removed
Nov 15, 2019 8:13 AM

Feb 2010
This is about the worst idea, the worst thing that they could do to the scoring system here. I don't want the entire toplist to be currently airing anime...
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 15, 2019 8:55 AM

Jan 2009
im not sure the entire top rank will be full of currently airing with this one considering we can adjust the amount of months in like a spectrum or scale for example or we do not have enough data on how much activity each month we got here on MAL and that data is available for the admins or MAL developers to see

EDIT:

like less x months of user activity (per year) is needed for those old anime on the top or they can simply remove this on old anime and just trigger it in code when some suspicious scoring jump or down happens on old anime entries (making it situational)
degNov 15, 2019 3:21 PM
Nov 27, 2019 7:41 AM

Nov 2008
Bad idea. As mentioned above would mess with ratings of old/rare anime that isn't watched by overwhelming majority of active userbase. And it feels unfair towards users who aren't going to become active again (those who was interested in anime before, but not anymore, or those who deceased). Should it make opinions they once held invalid? I don't think so.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Nov 28, 2019 4:23 PM

Oct 2017
Why should those who are no longer watching anime / updating their lists have their scores ignored? Plus I think taking away the voices of older fans would see a decrease in the actual quality of average scores. There are lots of classics that the modern fandom can't appreciate so much. Clannad: After Story was once top of MAL but now half the time it's brought up it's people complaining about the art style. I don't know why, but it seems the modern fandom have narrower tastes when it comes to art styles. The amount of people who complain about anime not being realisitc enough is proof of that, but whatever I'm ranting off-topic now. Either way, I'd bet good money Clannad would drop like a brick if you dis-counted inactive profiles, so that's reason enough not to do it.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 28, 2019 9:53 PM

Nov 2007
@deg: You only want old times like very few of us (joining date) and new users to influence the ranking and disregard everyone who has helped build a proper ranking system in the olden days of MAL? That's not actually a very good idea.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 28, 2019 11:58 PM

Jan 2009
shanimebib said:
@deg: You only want old times like very few of us (joining date) and new users to influence the ranking and disregard everyone who has helped build a proper ranking system in the olden days of MAL? That's not actually a very good idea.

i answered it in here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1811136&show=0#msg58662593
Nov 29, 2019 11:19 PM

Oct 2017
One of the worst ideas so far. This idea sounds more like a game where you keep repeating the same two steps over and over. Ineffective.
Dec 6, 2019 6:10 PM

Oct 2010
No. The current problem of MAL's scores is not the inactive users. Inactive users add to the site's history and data. It's the bots that are created on a whim to make temporary changes in averages till they are tackled. This measure doesn't solve anything of that.

On this matter, it is already being analyzed so the admins will know better, but I would put something like an extra requirement, not for rating, but for your ratings to count in the average. I dunno, like writing a short message, or a captcha, something that prevents bot ratings.

Another option would be automatic tracking. I know in another site there was a program that tracked big and sudden trends in ratings, so it was useful to notice when the system was being abused (like hundreds or thousands of 1 ratings to the same show in a matter of minutes from newly created accounts). I think that can be controlled.
jal90Dec 6, 2019 6:14 PM
Dec 6, 2019 6:15 PM

Jan 2009
jal90 said:
No. The current problem of MAL's scores is not the inactive users. Inactive users add to the site's history and data. It's the bots that are created on a whim to make temporary changes in averages till they are tackled. This measure doesn't solve anything of that.

On this matter, it is already being analyzed so the admins will know better, but I would put something like an extra requirement, not for rating, but for your ratings to count in the average. I dunno, like writing a short message, or a captcha, something that prevents bot ratings.

or instead of captcha maybe they can learn from reddit on how they automate the moderation of bots voting there like im sure reddit got a lot of that problem too but with their solutions the problem became insignificant

it might be a trade secret for reddit but im sure there are open source solutions out there and reddit one time is open source i heard so MAL can learn from those old codes too
Dec 6, 2019 6:16 PM

Oct 2010
deg said:
jal90 said:

or instead of captcha maybe they can learn from reddit on how they automate the moderation of bots voting there like im sure reddit got a lot of that problem too but with their solutions the problem became insignificant

it might be a trade secret for reddit but im sure there are open source solutions out there and reddit one time is open source i heard so MAL can learn from those old codes too

Oh, I just edited to include that idea. It would be really great, and I've seen it in another rating site, I didn't know it was used in Reddit.
Jan 17, 2020 12:57 AM

Mar 2016
I 100% disagree with this, and I have trouble wrapping my head around why it is a suggestion.

The opinion of a user with a dead account is still...important. There is really no reason why their opinion should stop being a part of the calculation just based on how recently they've logged on.

Spam/fake accounts would still be an issue even if this feature was implemented. Granted, it'd take much more work for them to keep it up, but I have no doubt that some people would be that willing to manipulate the ranks, considering some of these people apparently make 50(?)+ alt accounts just for that purpose.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 17, 2020 3:10 AM

Jan 2016
If this gets implemented I'm legit going to leave MAL because I don't want to be forced to get on MAL when I don't feel like it just so my ratings become relevant.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Jan 17, 2020 3:18 AM

Jan 2016
KatsutoSaki said:
One of the worst ideas so far. This idea sounds more like a game where you keep repeating the same two steps over and over. Ineffective.
Why don't we just block users' opinions instead just so we can decrease trolling in this site?
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Jan 17, 2020 3:23 AM

Jan 2009
lol ok for me your own score is still recorded on MAL but not just on the global ranking although looks like a lot of users want to be part of the global ranking more

so let this thread die and let a better suggestion be made

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.