Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 16, 2019 11:57 PM
Oct 2019
I like Subaru because he's such a great character for me, I can sympathize with him. But the problem is that there are a lot of people who hate and despise him, and I know that sometimes he can only think of himself and he's also a little selfish, he has his flaws, but he also has a lot of good points as he always helps others, he's always optimistic no matter how much he suffers, he is also very loyal to his love.
so I just want to find someone who is also like him like me.
Grey_SkyJan 31, 2020 4:37 PM
Oct 17, 2019 1:40 AM
May 2019
No your not the only one rem likes him too.
Oct 18, 2019 9:50 AM

Dec 2015
Xstasy said:
No your not the only one rem likes him too.

Wow that was deep
very much liked by me
Oct 18, 2019 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
Have you ever heard of Emilia?
Oct 18, 2019 4:35 PM

Mar 2010
He's one of my top MCs so yeah.
Oct 21, 2019 6:52 AM

Apr 2018
He's on my favorite list so...
Jan 1, 2020 7:25 PM
Dec 2018
Subaru is a great character, he is brave, loyal, always kind to people, even if he turns them down, caring and he manages to engage with characters, even if they seem hostile to him, as with Ram when he told her the ogre story. He has realistic weaknesses that anyone would have if they were put in his situation. Sure, he can be stupid, but, most of all, he has a good heart and most of his mistakes come from his attempts to prove his worth and do the best that he can for his comrades. He isn't dense like most main characters and is sensitive to the feelings of those around him. I don't understand, at all, why anyone wouldn't like him.
Jan 3, 2020 2:24 PM
Sep 2018
Fav char here so you're not alone
Jan 25, 2020 4:12 PM

Apr 2017
I feel you on a spritual level.

He is my favorite character of all time and I'm actually surprised by the amount of ppl who hates him

Jan 26, 2020 12:15 AM

Jan 2019
He's one of my favorites so ur not alone ;)
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Jan 28, 2020 9:25 PM
Sep 2019
he’s definitely hated on more than he should be. i like him and i feel like most of the people that judge him so harshly don’t give him enough sympathy for all the crap he’s been through. nobody would be the same cheerful loveable person they once were after experiencing everything he has. the fact that he can even get up and still fight to protect emilia, rem, etc. every time he restarts is more than i could say more myself if i were in his place.
Jan 30, 2020 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
I like him. Why do people hate on him tho? I don't know the reason.
Melysara.
Jan 30, 2020 2:49 AM
Jan 2020
I'm in the middle with him. He has his moments.
Daft Punk is love, Daft Punk is life

Jan 30, 2020 4:22 PM
Sep 2019
I think I hated him for a while because I saw too much of myself on him. Once I realized that, and specially after ep 18, he became my favorite MC
Jan 30, 2020 4:43 PM

Sep 2019
Gab5 said:
Subaru is a great character, he is brave, loyal, always kind to people, even if he turns them down, caring and he manages to engage with characters, even if they seem hostile to him, as with Ram when he told her the ogre story. He has realistic weaknesses that anyone would have if they were put in his situation. Sure, he can be stupid, but, most of all, he has a good heart and most of his mistakes come from his attempts to prove his worth and do the best that he can for his comrades. He isn't dense like most main characters and is sensitive to the feelings of those around him. I don't understand, at all, why anyone wouldn't like him.

He is also boastful for the very same reason.

But, for me, his character is well written. There's more reason to like him than hate him ^^)

And not because all the crap he had gone through, but because, even though he is a bit pushy, he truly cares for others.
White_HollowJan 31, 2020 2:31 AM

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 30, 2020 9:01 PM
Oct 2019
ammvanilist said:
I think I hated him for a while because I saw too much of myself on him. Once I realized that, and specially after ep 18, he became my favorite MC

yeah when I first saw the anime I hated him a bit because he was a bit annoying and did a lot of stupid things, but after a while he became a better person and struggled for himself, and I can also empathize with him after what he went through
Grey_SkyJan 31, 2020 4:38 PM
Jan 31, 2020 1:26 AM
Dec 2018
White_Hollow said:
Gab5 said:

He is also boastful for the very same reason.

But, for me, his character is well written. There's more reason to like him than hate him ^^)

And not all the crap he had gone through, but because, even though he is a bit pushy, he truly cares for others.

Yes, as well as the mental and physical pain of dying, he's been tortured by seeing those close to him die in horrible ways. That would damage anyone's psyche. Especially because, as you say, he genuinely cares for others. Who else would care for someone who they remember killing them in a previous incarnation?
Feb 5, 2020 2:11 AM
Feb 2019
I find Subaru boring and annoying, in the last couple of episodes I started to like him a bit tho because he was less annoying and more heroic.
Feb 7, 2020 8:03 AM
Nov 2015
OumaShu23 said:
I like Subaru because he's such a great character for me, I can sympathize with him. But the problem is that there are a lot of people who hate and despise him, and I know that sometimes he can only think of himself and he's also a little selfish, he has his flaws, but he also has a lot of good points as he always helps others, he's always optimistic no matter how much he suffers, he is also very loyal to his love.
so I just want to find someone who is also like him like me.

He is great MC people just randomly hate him for bait and attentions.

Or just because not love rem, Other than that he is great MC very different than today modern standards over powered harem trash shit.

He keep thinking forward no matter how much pain and suffer he get.
Feb 7, 2020 8:05 AM

Sep 2018
I think Subaru was the best character in the series. His pride and character flaws distinguish him from most anime protagonists.
Feb 7, 2020 11:41 AM

Jan 2019
rohan121 said:
I think Subaru was the best character in the series. His pride and character flaws distinguish him from most anime protagonists.

and this "pride" will be his best thing when season 2 will air, just wait for it ;)
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Feb 7, 2020 1:44 PM
Dec 2019
Rem likes him
So am I
🙂
Feb 16, 2020 9:00 PM
Dec 2018
I'm surprised he's still sane after all those deaths and restarts. And not just deaths, seeing most everyone he started to cared about ripped apart in front of him and he remembers each and every time.
Feb 16, 2020 9:34 PM
Feb 2020
Emillian said:
rohan121 said:

and this "pride" will be his best thing when season 2 will air, just wait for it ;)
Many fans don't know about 'Pride' thing, let them find out in S2 Lol
Feb 16, 2020 9:37 PM

Jan 2019
KindKiller said:
Emillian said:

Many fans don't know about 'Pride' thing, let them find out in S2 Lol

But of course they will ;)
Feb 16, 2020 9:40 PM
Feb 2020
I think Subaru is a great Character, especially considering the fact that MCs of Isekai are generally scumbags. He managed to not losing his mind, and his sanity even after suffering so much is something to be praised. Just because he rejected Rem isn't a reason good enough to hate Subaru, he loves Emilia and he just said that, what's wrong with that ? Subaru is one of the best Characters among various animes I've seen
Feb 28, 2020 4:33 PM

Mar 2017
I also really love Subaru. In fact, he's one of my favourite anime characters and one of the biggest reasons for that is that he's isn't the typically perfect, likeable and heroic isekai protagonist. He fucks up a lot, upsets people, makes stupid choices, etc. and that makes him so much more realistic.

It's so much more believable that after being placed in an isekai situation, he would view it like a game, rather than fully realising that it's real life and everything he does has consequences, not just for himself but for others too. Also as an otaku, it's natural that he'd see himself as a 'saviour' and try to fulfil that role because it's what usually happens in the genre.

All this makes for fantastic opportunities for Subaru to develop as through the season you see him learn and change... I can't wait to see how he grows in season 2!
Mar 6, 2020 1:38 PM

Mar 2014
I really like him. I've seen so many anime in which the main characters don't really have a defined personality, traits or flaws. Looking through my anime list, there's quite a few shows for which I cannot tell you a single thing about the main character, sometimes not even their name.

Subaru really surprised me, the things he said, his behaviour, his facial expressions, breaking the fourth wall, never a dull moment with him. It was such a breath of fresh air for me.

Also, Subaru growing on me so fast meant watching the show was not easy, seeing him suffer and breaking down, pushing people away and making stupid decisions.

I'm watching the Director's cut and forgot just how much this guy suffered, also on a physical level. And episode 18, mostly his opinion of himself, added so many more layers to this character.

Love this guy, through the good and the bad. The lows he went through made the highs that much better, even if they never realy last.
Mar 6, 2020 1:45 PM

May 2018
I like him, people who cant handle Subaru are the same people who cant handle any male mc showing negative emotion, like crying. Which I think is fair enough for Subaru to be a little bit upset when he literally gets tortured 24/7

Mar 7, 2020 10:25 PM

Jul 2019
He is a typical shonen MC but hes done right. Didn't annoy me in the slightest. Like when he yells or being hothead for something, the reason why is often understandable.
Mar 7, 2020 10:38 PM

Jul 2019
People didn't like him? I didn't hate him but I didn't particularly like him either. He was just a normal character to me but he is well written. Reminds me of Kazuma from Konosuba kinda
Mar 7, 2020 10:39 PM

Aug 2018
No you are not alone. People who hate Subaru aren't worth worrying too much about.
Mar 9, 2020 8:36 AM

Dec 2019
So i tried to watch this before a long time ago but stopped after 5 or 6 episodes cause i got bored watching the same scene's again and again after he dies and he gets revived, does it ever stop ? is it worth watching this again? pls help <_<
                                                         🖤   

Mar 9, 2020 8:52 AM

Jan 2019
-EnvyV2- said:
So i tried to watch this before a long time ago but stopped after 5 or 6 episodes cause i got bored watching the same scene's again and again after he dies and he gets revived, does it ever stop ? is it worth watching this again? pls help <_<

don't worry, he dies like 10 times in the first season so many of the deaths are at the beginning....and yes, after the mansion arc it gets better (this is the longest season 1 arc presenting his attempts to be trusted by the people in the mansion and failing miserably until the moment he realises what he had to do).
I suggest you resume it, you wont regret it ^-^
Mar 9, 2020 9:03 AM

Dec 2019
Emillian said:
-EnvyV2- said:

don't worry, he dies like 10 times in the first season so many of the deaths are at the beginning....and yes, after the mansion arc it gets better (this is the longest season 1 arc presenting his attempts to be trusted by the people in the mansion and failing miserably until the moment he realises what he had to do).

Okay thanks very much, i see a lot of positive things about this anime so i wanted to know if it was worth watching it again ima give it another go :)
                                                         🖤   

Mar 9, 2020 9:16 AM

Jan 2019
-EnvyV2- said:
Emillian said:

Okay thanks very much, i see a lot of positive things about this anime so i wanted to know if it was worth watching it again ima give it another go :)

I appreciate you for resuming it too ^-^
Apr 3, 2020 9:56 AM
May 2016
-EnvyV2- said:

seeing how Return by Death is Subaru's power, recurring events will be a staple in this show. They aren't done for the heck of it though. It serves to develop Subaru's character which will influence his decisions for every loop he tackles. His relationship with Emilia is the most affected by these loops. All in all, as an anime-only consumer of this story, I see Subaru's development and the adaptation quality as worth my time. Be warned though, there will be a cringey episodes due to Subaru losing his cool.
Apr 3, 2020 10:19 AM

Dec 2019
KandyJar said:

seeing how Return by Death is Subaru's power, recurring events will be a staple in this show. They aren't done for the heck of it though. It serves to develop Subaru's character which will influence his decisions for every loop he tackles. His relationship with Emilia is the most affected by these loops. All in all, as an anime-only consumer of this story, I see Subaru's development and the adaptation quality as worth my time. Be warned though, there will be a cringey episodes due to Subaru losing his cool.

Well i already finished the show and i kinda liked it after 10 episodes, well i dropped it cause yea i didn't get the point of the show, that Subaru needed to die at least 10 times so he can get developed and learn how to handle the situation after he comes back, and yea there were a lot of cringe moments from Subaru but Rem was there to save the day lol.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 3, 2020 3:47 PM
Mar 2013
ammvanilist said:
i believe a lot of people hate him for the same reason, but at least you realized it ^^
Apr 4, 2020 4:31 PM

Feb 2016
Subaru has everything a man should. Maybe he made a couple mistakes, but I can empathize with him too. He is strong, jocular and sympathetic. Good character after all.
May 14, 2020 9:51 PM
Sep 2019
Oh man, I was waiting for this so long~ Because Subaru is my number 1 husbando. I’ve never thought that I would be so attracted towards a character like Subaru. He’s far from any stereotypical main characters in any anime. He looks selfish, but all he did is for everyone. He’s flawed, that’s what made him succeed. As a normal shut-in otaku, I totally understand how, and why my boy Subaru acted different. A boy who always played games, reading manga, or watching anime can somehow be delusional(like me), when being threw in an Isekai world. He never expected having died a lot, in order to save all his mistakes and bring everyone back, adding to his mental problems. But I am not only love him because he’s realistic, but also at how selfless and lovable he is. He’s brave, kind, sweet, cute and incredibly attractive at some points. What kind of a normal person can go through what he went through? People hate him because of his actions, but never tried to put their shoes in his place. He never did a SINGLE thing wrong, and never deserves any of his death. He’s a hero who sacrificed his life so many times for victory. If I was him, I would gave up and rather die right away. Ah also, one big reason why people hate him, because of their beautiful, sweet waifu is Rem. Alright let me setting up one thing! I like Rem, and love what she did for Subaru in episode 18 in the series. But just because of one girl,doesn’t mean Subaru have to choose her. Subaru did right chose to save everyone, instead of going to escape with her. Like seriously, Subaru suicided to save her LIFE even though she killed him before, he had done so many things to her, people should happy he didn’t act uneasy to Rem, and gave him a chance to love her. If you read the whole WN, you will see Rem is a side character who only help support the plot of the series, Subaru can’t abandon everyone else because only of her. I ship SubaRem, but I prefer Subaru x Emilia more.

Anyway, Natsuki Subaru is my number 1 character, I also went all the way to write fanfics and draw fanarts of him. Love Subaru forever!!^^
May 14, 2020 10:47 PM

Nov 2016
Nah you aren't, subaru is a pretty great mc and gets even better later on, the only character I'm starting to have a bone with is ram honestly

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.