Forum Settings
Forums
Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 23, 2019 7:33 PM
Dec 2018
Like, i don't consider Hodoka being boring a grave sin, but goddamn, his motivation for going to Tokyo. Chasing a sunray.... from his dream. Ok? And yet he staunchly rejects the idea of coming home as if he hates his family because they force him to eat babies or something.... And even then they didn't go in depth with what the fuss was in his home that made him run away other than chasing that sunray from his dream.

Keisuke is totally okay of Hina's sacrifice, seeing it as necessary for the livelihood of the rest of Tokyo, so he's totally okay with stopping Hodoka in his attempt, even giving him a slap for it. But after seeing his 'resolve' (which he already displayed before the gunshot) he's suddenly up for tackling Police Josuke.

Also, the romance... It's not natural. Reminds me of Garden of Words, but at least they have their mutual feelings moments and denials there. I have to wonder whether i should feel sad or not whenever Hodoka is sad, because I'm not even sure if it's appropriate for him to have that kind of feelings for Hina with how they act around each other so far.

And there's so many holes/questions left open. What about the other Weather Miko the fortune-teller mentioned that has different personalities? What about Weather Miko's original job of conveying other people's prayers? Where the frick is Hina's and Nagi's father? Where tf Hodoka gets his gun (which is really anticlimactic compared to the trailer, what, Shinkai learned from Tetsuya Nomura?)? How tf Tokyo here supposed to match the Tokyo in Your Name? And what's this weather power, seriously... They give us a scene with two middle schoolers being soaked after looking at a water forming into something, or how about the dragon from the sky that brought Hina and Hodoka back, or you know, the whole water fishes thing that several characters pointed out?

Honestly, I'm pretty burnt out with this film.
Alcor_The_FaintAug 23, 2019 10:31 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2019 8:02 PM

Nov 2015
I didn’t watch this yet. But I haven’t liked a single one of his films because they all look the same a have the same kind of stories.
This movie looks like Your Name 2.

And to think people call him the next Miyazaki.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 24, 2019 5:19 AM
Dec 2018
Old_School_Akira said:
I didn’t watch this yet. But I haven’t liked a single one of his films because they all look the same a have the same kind of stories.

Well for reference, i liked his 5cm and Your Name.

The former hits too close to home. I've felt how LDR is pretty agonizing, even in this age of technology (which the protagonists didn't have).

The latter is just really a FUN movie. Emphasis on fun. The closest thing to Weathering With You, in terms of overall feel, but for starters, you can easily get attached to the duo.
Aug 24, 2019 5:26 AM
Apr 2018
I hated it the first time i watched it, but the second time after i understood the characters i loved it. Just my opinion tho
Aug 24, 2019 5:50 AM
Aug 2019
Well no but actually yes, I wasn't really amazed by the story either, the concept is I think what really similar, resembling Kimi no Na Wa the most but in different concept

I completely understand that it's kind of normal since the writer of the two films is the same. Maybe it is his signature with time travel concept. But I expect more than just that. But I do appreciate all the CG of the parallel cloud scene, I GOT GOOSEBUMPS

With that being said, I do expect more than that but I still love the animation~
Aug 24, 2019 5:52 AM
Aug 2019
Old_School_Akira said:

Ahh it's sad to admit that I agree with this :') I do expect more than just another time traveling story
Aug 24, 2019 8:53 AM
Dec 2018
viramyeon said:
Well no but actually yes, I wasn't really amazed by the story either, the concept is I think what really similar, resembling Kimi no Na Wa the most but in different concept

I completely understand that it's kind of normal since the writer of the two films is the same. Maybe it is his signature with time travel concept. But I expect more than just that. But I do appreciate all the CG of the parallel cloud scene, I GOT GOOSEBUMPS

With that being said, I do expect more than that but I still love the animation~

What time travel? You meant "star crossed lovers"?

And yeah, the animation is superb as always. Can't carry a movie though.
Aug 25, 2019 3:57 AM
Jan 2019
This is the only shinkai movie that i legitimately enjoy
Aug 26, 2019 2:19 AM

Nov 2008
Garden of Words is way more terrible writing, +1 to enjoying it. The questions left open make me think he is toying with the idea of a sequel, but then again he tends to do that with most of his movies.
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Aug 26, 2019 4:11 AM
Aug 2019
Nope. I think this is a great movie. Not everyone like sad/misteryous ending🤔
Aug 26, 2019 4:16 AM
Aug 2019
Alcor_The_Faint said:
Like, i don't consider Hodoka being boring a grave sin, but goddamn, his motivation for going to Tokyo. Chasing a sunray.... from his dream. Ok? And yet he staunchly rejects the idea of coming home as if he hates his family because they force him to eat babies or something.... And even then they didn't go in depth with what the fuss was in his home that made him run away other than chasing that sunray from his dream.

Keisuke is totally okay of Hina's sacrifice, seeing it as necessary for the livelihood of the rest of Tokyo, so he's totally okay with stopping Hodoka in his attempt, even giving him a slap for it. But after seeing his 'resolve' (which he already displayed before the gunshot) he's suddenly up for tackling Police Josuke.

Also, the romance... It's not natural. Reminds me of Garden of Words, but at least they have their mutual feelings moments and denials there. I have to wonder whether i should feel sad or not whenever Hodoka is sad, because I'm not even sure if it's appropriate for him to have that kind of feelings for Hina with how they act around each other so far.

And there's so many holes/questions left open. What about the other Weather Miko the fortune-teller mentioned that has different personalities? What about Weather Miko's original job of conveying other people's prayers? Where the frick is Hina's and Nagi's father? Where tf Hodoka gets his gun (which is really anticlimactic compared to the trailer, what, Shinkai learned from Tetsuya Nomura?)? How tf Tokyo here supposed to match the Tokyo in Your Name? And what's this weather power, seriously... They give us a scene with two middle schoolers being soaked after looking at a water forming into something, or how about the dragon from the sky that brought Hina and Hodoka back, or you know, the whole water fishes thing that several characters pointed out?

Alcor_The_Faint said:

hell no. U just wrong from the start if u trying to compare this with your name. This is happy ending. That one nope. 🤔🤔🤔 what's wrong with u.
Aug 26, 2019 5:03 AM
Apr 2019
Your Name and Weathering With You both revolves on magical adventure (with magical girl) of Star Crossed Lovers.

Also wtf Kimi No Na Wa ending is anything but sad. It's the happiest thing Shinkai ever wrote at that point. You really thought Taki and Mitsuha won't be dating after that ending?
Aug 26, 2019 5:06 AM
Apr 2019
Anistylez said:
Garden of Words is way more terrible writing, +1 to enjoying it. The questions left open make me think he is toying with the idea of a sequel, but then again he tends to do that with most of his movies.

At least full blown romance is not the focus of that film. But even then, Garden of Words shows us that the feelings between Yukari and Takao are mutual, they helped each other overcome their problems (especially Takao).... And that crying scene sold it. Hina barely reciprocates Hodoka's feelings before the love hotel scene, and Hodoka just happen to have a crush on a girl he just met... Like wtf, that works IRL but not for a movie lol
Aug 26, 2019 5:47 AM

Jun 2014
Tenki no Ko = Shinkai's weakest writing?
LOL please, have you watched Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo?

Anyway, Shinkai Makoto is the closest person I will ever come to legit worshiping. But generally speaking, the more complicated his plots are, the more they suck.

ArcturusMi said:
Your Name and Weathering With You both revolves on magical adventure (with magical girl) of Star Crossed Lovers.

Also wtf Kimi No Na Wa ending is anything but sad. It's the happiest thing Shinkai ever wrote at that point. You really thought Taki and Mitsuha won't be dating after that ending?

When you watched Tenki no Ko, you noticed Taki and Mitsuha right? While it's true we don't know when Tenki no Ko occurs in relation to Kimi no Na Wa, they at least weren't married. No rings, and Mitsuha's name tag still read "Miyamizu." So at least I'm a little bit thankful that Shinkai left that open.
EDIT: sorry, this random note wasn't to disagree with you. Kimi no Na Wa is by far Shinkai's happiest ending yet.

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Aug 26, 2019 6:06 AM

Jul 2013
Some of y'all haven't seen "Children Who Chase Lost Voices" yet and it clearly shows.

The movie is currently killing it in Japan but I can't feel any hype outside of it at all unlike Kimi no Nawa. Probably because it's still not available in illegal streaming sites which most foreigners use lol. I'm 90% sure Kimi no Nawa being immediately available helped amplify its hype. I haven't seen the show yet either but it can't possibly be worse than the movie I mentioned.
Aug 26, 2019 6:23 AM
Apr 2019
iunne said:
Tenki no Ko = Shinkai's weakest writing?
LOL please, have you watched Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo?

Anyway, Shinkai Makoto is the closest person I will ever come to legit worshiping. But generally speaking, the more complicated his plots are, the more they suck.

ArcturusMi said:

When you watched Tenki no Ko, you noticed Taki and Mitsuha right? While it's true we don't know when Tenki no Ko occurs in relation to Kimi no Na Wa, they at least weren't married. No rings, and Mitsuha's name tag still read "Miyamizu." So at least I'm a little bit thankful that Shinkai left that open.
EDIT: sorry, this random note wasn't to disagree with you. Kimi no Na Wa is by far Shinkai's happiest ending yet.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices? Haven't seen it yet myself lol

Your Name's time travel plot isn't complicated at all if you don't restrain your thoughts on "linear timeline". Like, it's still more complicated than say, Endgame's time travel, but it's miles better than some series like *cough*Kingdom Hearts *cough*

His failure this time is the inability to make the viewers feel attached to the main protagonist. I said how his backstory doesn't make sense at all... When he's fundamentally Male Mitsuha, except we know WHY Mitsuha does what she does, her intro is basically that, informing the viewers about her sleepy town, her embarrassing and distant father, her embarrassing tradition. We can get understand her and then get attached to her.

On that Your Name cameo, i saw someone said it's set in 2021, aka the ending of Your Name, Taki and Mitsuha haven't found each other.... But that's not the problem here, we know that Tokyo in Your Name is sunny as hell, while here it's weather anomaly.
Aug 26, 2019 6:28 AM
Apr 2019
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
Some of y'all haven't seen "Children Who Chase Lost Voices" yet and it clearly shows.

The movie is currently killing it in Japan but I can't feel any hype outside of it at all unlike Kimi no Nawa. Probably because it's still not available in illegal streaming sites which most foreigners use lol. I'm 90% sure Kimi no Nawa being immediately available helped amplify its hype. I haven't seen the show yet either but it can't possibly be worse than the movie I mentioned.

What about that movie? I'm curious whenever someone brought it up.

It's romance is worse than Garden of Words, which is known to left some people wonder whether they should feel sad or not because the romance is kinda iffy, but if IYO Children Who Chase Lost Voices has worse romance than Garden of Words then it's getting complex lol.

Well yeah, Your Name is definitely more available. When will Weathering With You appears in China? We can expect a flood of discussion after that.
Aug 26, 2019 6:55 AM

Jul 2013
ArcturusMi said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

It's romance is worse than Garden of Words, which is known to left some people wonder whether they should feel sad or not because the romance is kinda iffy, but if IYO Children Who Chase Lost Voices has worse romance than Garden of Words then it's getting complex lol.

Well yeah, Your Name is definitely more available. When will Weathering With You appears in China? We can expect a flood of discussion after that.

It's basically Shinkai's own take at a Ghibli kind of movie which he fails miserably at. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I've pretty much forgotten most of its contents but IIRC, there wasn't any romance at all since the theme of the movie wasn't about love but death. There was a mysterious character at first which our protagonist seems to be drawn to but he kinda fell off from the show pretty quick lol. Just watch and judge it for yourself. You might like it.

I don't know the current political state between China and Japan but from what I've heard, Spirited Away was just recently screened in China after a very long time. I don't know if that has some kind of bearing on their political relationship though.
Aug 26, 2019 7:28 AM

Jun 2014
ArcturusMi said:

Your Name's time travel plot isn't complicated at all if you don't restrain your thoughts on "linear timeline". Like, it's still more complicated than say, Endgame's time travel, but it's miles better than some series like *cough*Kingdom Hearts *cough*

His failure this time is the inability to make the viewers feel attached to the main protagonist. I said how his backstory doesn't make sense at all... When he's fundamentally Male Mitsuha, except we know WHY Mitsuha does what she does, her intro is basically that, informing the viewers about her sleepy town, her embarrassing and distant father, her embarrassing tradition. We can get understand her and then get attached to her.

On that Your Name cameo, i saw someone said it's set in 2021, aka the ending of Your Name, Taki and Mitsuha haven't found each other.... But that's not the problem here, we know that Tokyo in Your Name is sunny as hell, while here it's weather anomaly.

I see, well in the end it's all up to the individual. Personally, I have never related to a single of Shinkai's protagonists, despite rating 5 Centimeters Per Second a 10/10 and Kimi no Na Wa a 9/10. I honestly don't understand what you mean by an attachment to Mitsuha (personally I found Hodaka and Hinata way more likeable).
Anwyway, my reasons for liking Shinkai movies are of course the animation art style but also the amazing thematic coherence. I find that the weakest parts of his films to be consistently the plot and character/romantic development.

And interesting, you wouldn't by any chance have the link to that comment stating it was in 2021? I saw no allusion to the year at all in the movie but finding all the easter eggs in a movie is fun lol.

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Aug 26, 2019 9:08 AM
Apr 2019
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
ArcturusMi said:

It's basically Shinkai's own take at a Ghibli kind of movie which he fails miserably at. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I've pretty much forgotten most of its contents but IIRC, there wasn't any romance at all since the theme of the movie wasn't about love but death. There was a mysterious character at first which our protagonist seems to be drawn to but he kinda fell off from the show pretty quick lol. Just watch and judge it for yourself. You might like it.

I don't know the current political state between China and Japan but from what I've heard, Spirited Away was just recently screened in China after a very long time. I don't know if that has some kind of bearing on their political relationship though.

I'm hard to impress, so i doubt i would enjoy it without tearing down every scenes lol

So China is pretty vague.... What about India?
Aug 26, 2019 9:18 AM

Jul 2013
ArcturusMi said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

I'm hard to impress, so i doubt i would enjoy it without tearing down every scenes lol

Those are just my assumptions. I literally have no idea what's going on between China and Japan or if there's anything even going on between them lol.

Idk either. Probably in a few days or weeks since the movie is already going to hit at my country tomorrow so I assume it's the same as everywhere else.
Aug 26, 2019 9:25 AM
Apr 2019
iunne said:
ArcturusMi said:

I see, well in the end it's all up to the individual. Personally, I have never related to a single of Shinkai's protagonists, despite rating 5 Centimeters Per Second a 10/10 and Kimi no Na Wa a 9/10. I honestly don't understand what you mean by an attachment to Mitsuha (personally I found Hodaka and Hinata way more likeable).
Anwyway, my reasons for liking Shinkai movies are of course the animation art style but also the amazing thematic coherence. I find that the weakest parts of his films to be consistently the plot and character/romantic development.

And interesting, you wouldn't by any chance have the link to that comment stating it was in 2021? I saw no allusion to the year at all in the movie but finding all the easter eggs in a movie is fun lol.

I mean you can at least understand Mitsuha's reasons (personally, the embarrassing parent and smalltown boredom hits me lol, i wanna live in an urban place) as opposed to Hodoka who left his unnamed island (i thought it's the island from 5cm) just because he had a dream about it. Understanding is the root of making your reader attached to your character!
Hina is OK, and imo she's kinda like Taki, she's the one being approached by the runaway.

I too, follows Shinkai starting from Garden of Words and when i left befuddled by its narrative, i stayed for the art. Backtrack to 5cm, and i find Shinkai is pretty decent (and a rewatch when i entered college made me cry because not only me and the male MC are taking a computer science major, I just broke up with my GF bc we get accepted in different uni, so yeah i finally becomes 5cm viewer target).... And when Your Name is released, I'm startled. It's really really really REALLY a fun movie, and I don't even mind the time travel since I'm used to it, and to think that he executed it pretty well.

The romance is on point for friends-turned-lovers, unlike GoW or 5cm (the romance is flashback only). And the twist is ofc really memorable, and the ending had me and my friends, who was traumatised by One More Time One More Chance, on our edge. Thinking the movie is over when they played Nandemonaiya is one thing, but the stair scene is the selling point. We're so happy that we're just smiling for 15 minutes.

That being said, i commend Shinkai for trying to flesh side characters here (even though Suga development is questionable), Nagi is my favourite character. Bonus points for having a harem of girls named after their seiyuu, Kana and Ayano lmao
Aug 26, 2019 9:29 AM
Apr 2019
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
ArcturusMi said:

Those are just my assumptions. I literally have no idea what's going on between China and Japan or if there's anything even going on between them lol.

Idk either. Probably in a few days or weeks since the movie is already going to hit at my country tomorrow so I assume it's the same as everywhere else.

Oh i see.

Well, if you plan on watching it, just come and share your thoughts here. Maybe you can enjoy Weathering With You more than me.
Aug 26, 2019 9:58 AM

Jun 2014
ArcturusMi said:

I mean you can at least understand Mitsuha's reasons (personally, the embarrassing parent and smalltown boredom hits me lol, i wanna live in an urban place) as opposed to Hodoka who left his unnamed island (i thought it's the island from 5cm) just because he had a dream about it.

Ok, but reasons for what? Mitsuha took no initiative to go to the urban city herself (except to find Taki, which means she was motivated by Taki not the city), while Hodoka did. All Mitsuha did was get passively hit by the body-switching phenomenon, and it was probably all luck that it happened to be someone who lived in an urban area (let's look at this from a statistical standpoint lol).

In the first place, there is absolutely no character development for either Mitsuha or Taki. Their personalities are actually completely irrelevant in regards to the core of the plot, versus Tenki no Ko's protagonists who consciously call upon the supernatural phenomenon. Basically, I don't see the fact that we don't know Hodaka and Hinata's backstories as an important reason for Kimi no Na Wa being better than Tenki no Ko. And just to clarify, I think Kimi no Na Wa is better lol.

ArcturusMi said:
Thinking the movie is over when they played Nandemonaiya is one thing, but the stair scene is the selling point. We're so happy that we're just smiling for 15 minutes.

Yeah, personally out of Shinkai's 7 films, Kimi no Na Wa's and Tenki no Ko's endings were my least favorites. He's definitely changed the mood of his films. I'm a fan more because of 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Voices of a Distant Star.

However, his newer films are the best in terms of art & music. Especially people haha.

Edit: In short, I don't find relatable characters necessary for a good show/film
iunneAug 26, 2019 10:02 AM

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Aug 26, 2019 5:33 PM
Apr 2019
iunne said:

Ok, but reasons for what? Mitsuha took no initiative to go to the urban city herself (except to find Taki, which means she was motivated by Taki not the city), while Hodoka did. All Mitsuha did was get passively hit by the body-switching phenomenon, and it was probably all luck that it happened to be someone who lived in an urban area (let's look at this from a statistical standpoint lol).

In the first place, there is absolutely no character development for either Mitsuha or Taki. Their personalities are actually completely irrelevant in regards to the core of the plot, versus Tenki no Ko's protagonists who consciously call upon the supernatural phenomenon. Basically, I don't see the fact that we don't know Hodaka and Hinata's backstories as an important reason for Kimi no Na Wa being better than Tenki no Ko. And just to clarify, I think Kimi no Na Wa is better lol.

Because Mitsuha is still in a high school. They mentioned that when she gets to uni (because of her good grades), she'll leave the town.

All the protagonists did in Weathering With You were to turn the phenomenon into business, and it's the standard Japanese "I'll bring smile upon the rainy days". Funny you mentioned personality that are irrelevant to the plot, since you know, it's also a Weathering With You problem, meanwhile their contrasting personalities allows Taki and Mitsuha changes the other's life, Feminine Taki landing a date while Tomboy Mitsuha scares her annoying classmates among other things.

Well for starters Your Name's power is all about unconsciousness as opposed to Weathering With You's fully conscious power.
And when you talk about the power of both movie, it's getting more muddy. No concise explanations were given to the whole weather girl fiasco, "who gives the power". There's a lot of unused plot points scattering around, like the water fishes, water body that drenched two schoolboys, multiple weather girls, etc. Meanwhile Your Name ran straight with Itomori God doing the same shtick to every Miyamizu maidens to avoid Tiamat.

And what I'm talking about by comparing Hodoka to Mitsuha (not Hina nor Taki, since they're "the one being approached"), is that you can understand why they do what they do. Mitsuha in Taki's body enjoy the live in Tokyo moreso than Taki himself, and we get to see WHY. Meanwhile we see Hodoka seems so determined to stay in Tokyo and would throw a tantrum whenever someone tried to bring him home, but we all know those actions are because of some dream he had, not because something more 'real' (many people who watched the film there'd be some big shit happening in Hodoka's home that make him hates his home, throughout the film but nope).

Yeah, personally out of Shinkai's 7 films, Kimi no Na Wa's and Tenki no Ko's endings were my least favorites. He's definitely changed the mood of his films. I'm a fan more because of 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Voices of a Distant Star.

However, his newer films are the best in terms of art & music. Especially people haha.

I can understand preferring the more mellow side of his films. And 5cm for example did what Your Name (or any good written story) did right too, more or less. We get to see the backstory and romance of Takaki and Akari in Episode 1. We get to see how hurtful it is to have a one sided crush by seeing Kanae narrates her story in Episode 2. Put them up together, and in Episode 3, One More Time, One More Chance hits the sad bone.
Aug 27, 2019 5:36 AM

Jun 2014
ArcturusMi said:
Because Mitsuha is still in a high school. They mentioned that when she gets to uni (because of her good grades), she'll leave the town.

All the protagonists did in Weathering With You were to turn the phenomenon into business, and it's the standard Japanese "I'll bring smile upon the rainy days". Funny you mentioned personality that are irrelevant to the plot, since you know, it's also a Weathering With You problem, meanwhile their contrasting personalities allows Taki and Mitsuha changes the other's life, Feminine Taki landing a date while Tomboy Mitsuha scares her annoying classmates among other things.

And what I'm talking about by comparing Hodoka to Mitsuha (not Hina nor Taki, since they're "the one being approached"), is that you can understand why they do what they do. Mitsuha in Taki's body enjoy the live in Tokyo moreso than Taki himself, and we get to see WHY. Meanwhile we see Hodoka seems so determined to stay in Tokyo and would throw a tantrum whenever someone tried to bring him home, but we all know those actions are because of some dream he had, not because something more 'real' (many people who watched the film there'd be some big shit happening in Hodoka's home that make him hates his home, throughout the film but nope).

I can understand preferring the more mellow side of his films. And 5cm for example did what Your Name (or any good written story) did right too, more or less. We get to see the backstory and romance of Takaki and Akari in Episode 1. We get to see how hurtful it is to have a one sided crush by seeing Kanae narrates her story in Episode 2. Put them up together, and in Episode 3, One More Time, One More Chance hits the sad bone.

The reason why I gave Tenki no Ko a 7/10 and Kimi no Na Wa a 9/10 is precisely because the plot in Tenki no Ko is a mess. I'm not arguing with you there. I still find the actual protagonists of Tenki no Ko more likeable, however I've really never related to Shinkai's protagonists.

And the thing is, I don't like 5 Centimeters Per Second because it made me feel sad. To be completely honest, I didn't feel sorry for the main guy or the female lead in the second part. The movie made a lasting impression on me because I find it thematically perfect in music, title, pacing, and imagery.

Edit: Well we've completely gone off track from the initial post. Tenki no Ko has a messier plot than Kimi no Na Wa imo, but it's nowhere near as messy as Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo.
iunneAug 27, 2019 5:43 AM

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Aug 27, 2019 7:40 AM
Dec 2018
iunne said:
ArcturusMi said:

The reason why I gave Tenki no Ko a 7/10 and Kimi no Na Wa a 9/10 is precisely because the plot in Tenki no Ko is a mess. I'm not arguing with you there. I still find the actual protagonists of Tenki no Ko more likeable, however I've really never related to Shinkai's protagonists.

And the thing is, I don't like 5 Centimeters Per Second because it made me feel sad. To be completely honest, I didn't feel sorry for the main guy or the female lead in the second part. The movie made a lasting impression on me because I find it thematically perfect in music, title, pacing, and imagery.

Edit: Well we've completely gone off track from the initial post. Tenki no Ko has a messier plot than Kimi no Na Wa imo, but it's nowhere near as messy as Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo.

The messy plot DID hamper Kei and Hodoka as characters tho.

Well, for some people 5cm did hit their sad bones, and the music + atmosphere helped that.
Aug 27, 2019 8:27 AM

Sep 2017
for me personally, tenki no ko is makoto's second best yet after kimi no nawa in terms of story. but for the romance, i think tenki no ko is a bit better (especially the ending and the chemistry/screentime between the main cast) because u know the cliffhanger in kimi no nawa ending really pissed me off lmao.

i like kimi no nawa because of its story and the supernatural things,
i like tenki no ko for the romance, art and the soundtracks
Aug 27, 2019 8:57 AM
Dec 2018
zalapeno said:
for me personally, tenki no ko is makoto's second best yet after kimi no nawa in terms of story. but for the romance, i think tenki no ko is a bit better (especially the ending and the chemistry/screentime between the main cast) because u know the cliffhanger in kimi no nawa ending really pissed me off lmao.

i like kimi no nawa because of its story and the supernatural things,
i like tenki no ko for the romance, art and the soundtracks

So it's rather because of the open ended ending of Your Name?
Aug 28, 2019 7:41 AM
Nov 2018
Hmmm...i think there were many plot holes(?) in Tenki no Ko. Well i'll rewatch it on 2020 for a better conclusion.
Aug 28, 2019 10:17 AM
Dec 2018
KiriRin_196 said:
Hmmm...i think there were many plot holes(?) in Tenki no Ko. Well i'll rewatch it on 2020 for a better conclusion.

Plot hole OR unused plot points?
Sep 4, 2019 12:56 AM
Aug 2014
I ended up watching the film twice because the first time, I was late for long.

I actually find it hard to say whether I liked Tenki no Ko or not. When I remember how profound it is on the over-all, I am reminded of the flaws of the storytelling (e.g., a LOT of resemblance with Kimi no Na wa). And when I think of the flaws, I keep wondering whether the flaws could be justified with the over-all.

The resemblance I am talking is putting some fun time then forcibly creating distance between the two and voila, you're now in the climax of the story after (in this case) an hour and a half of sitting in the theatre (unlike Kimi no Na wa where they drop it in the middle).

One thing that is actually preventing me from saying it was bad is the fact that there were linguistic nuances not carried over by the English subs, and I feel lucky I was forcing myself not to look at the subs the entire time, twice. There are also visual nuances that may now be just viewer-theory (see, I'm even afraid of using "fan theory") that, to be honest, I can now not really remember well but they were there (e.g., facial expressions, use of cinematic visual angles).

The fact they were using concepts not explained mid-story shows that they are mysteries you are left to wonder on (e.g., why FISH?)

We all perceive the same thing differently, I guess.

// ALSO, naming the two policemen as Takai and Yasui is a joke, and as a writer I can relate with making such jokes when you're supposed to be serious.

// ALSO, I was laughing because Nagi's classmates Ayane and Kana were voiced by popular voice actresses Sakura AYANE and Hanazawa KANA, respectively. These fall in the kind of jokes that only seasoned anime watchers would get. I'd say the jokes on the fun parts were definitely storytelling approaches that leaves everyone off-guard, like a sales person establishing rapport.
Sep 6, 2019 7:45 PM
Jan 2019
I just watched it and I loved it. the animation and music timings were awesome, visuals and background sounds were great too. I honestly don’t know why a lot of people say it’s similar with your name but I personally think that this movie has it’s own pros which cannot be compared with your name :) but no shade to your name, I loved it too 🥰🥰.
Jan 21, 2020 10:15 PM

Nov 2008
Alright, lemme tackle these silly questions one at a time here.

Alcor_The_Faint said:

Hodaka's not boring at all; or did you miss the part where he had multiple policemen at gunpoint?

*Moving that aside...we don't NEED to know the exact reason he ran away from home; just that he was unhappy and felt like he was suffocating and wanted freedom badly. Sixteen is the most rebellious stage in a person's life so that's the most likely time they'd decide to run away. That's all we needed to know. Does the movie really have to hold your hand and exposition dump everyone's backstory? No, I don't think it does. Shinkai's interview said he didn't WANT to do that this time; he chose to be more subtle. I think it was a good choice.

*Tokyo's the number 1 place people in Japan visit anyway...if they don't already live there.

It's easier to handwave other people's problems when you are not witnessing their reactions before your very eyes. It becomes more difficult once you get up close. Keisuke already saw himself in Hodaka. He also saw his separation from his beloved late wife in Hodaka and Hina's situation. It was obvious he was thinking "Not again, if I can f*cking help it!"

In a way, Keisuke got his happy ending through Hodaka's choice; to be reunited with a loved one.

It's fine. It's not like this took place in two days; the kids spent quite a lot of time together and they just clicked. They clearly enjoyed each other's company; the montages of them working and running to the hotel along with her little brother were displaying to us 'these three are now a family'. I think it's one of Shinkai's better romances...since they interacted with each other a LOT more than his other leads.

And there's so many holes/questions left open. What about the other Weather Miko the fortune-teller mentioned that has different personalities?
What about Weather Miko's original job of conveying other people's prayers?

Those aren't really "holes"; they're just details being touched upon.

Where the frick is Hina's and Nagi's father?

Obviously dead or estranged from the family, otherwise they'd live with him? Come on, use your brain. xD

Where tf Hodoka gets his gun?

Didn't one of the gansters mention how someone threw it away?

How tf Tokyo here supposed to match the Tokyo in Your Name?

Take character cameos with a grain of salt lol; artists will put them there just because it's fun. I also do it in my own works.

And what's this weather power, seriously... They give us a scene with two middle schoolers being soaked after looking at a water forming into something, or how about the dragon from the sky that brought Hina and Hodoka back, or you know, the whole water fishes thing that several characters pointed out?

Well it was revealed there's a whole different world up in the sky. It was also revealed that Hina received her power to control the rain/sun one year before those events. You can accept the dragon and water fish as a sign that the balance is now out of whack because Hina's powers come with a price.

ChiibiJan 21, 2020 10:26 PM

Jan 22, 2020 8:29 AM
Jan 2020
I recently watched the movie, I won't say "Weathering with you" a weak writing at all. It had already become one of my favourites. As for Shinkai Makoto's films, it's probably one of the best, for me it's next after Kimi no na wa. The smallest answer to he question would be NO.
Jan 22, 2020 9:58 AM

Jan 2017
I disagree. I thought the writing for this one was among his strongest. Motivations were clearly laid out and the movie did not seem to have any parts where it dragged at all.

In terms of Shinkai's weakest writing, I would say that has to go to 5cm. Sorry, but I simply don't buy someone being hung up on a "romance" from ELEMENTARY School and never moving on. From the way Shinkai wrote the MC from 5cm, I did not buy that he would fail to move on or realize the shallowness of pre pre teen love.
Jan 22, 2020 10:15 AM

Jun 2015
I look forward to it then. That sounds definitely complicated to achieve.
Jan 24, 2020 9:00 AM
Dec 2018
Chiibi said:

Hodaka's not boring at all; or did you miss the part where he had multiple policemen at gunpoint?

How does that make him any interesting? The build up isn't enough to begin with. Not to mention every time the police is in frame most watchers lost some braincells because of how incompetent the police are.

.we don't NEED to know the exact reason he ran away from home; just that he was unhappy and felt like he was suffocating and wanted freedom badly. Sixteen is the most rebellious stage in a person's life so that's the most likely time they'd decide to run away. That's all we needed to know. Does the movie really have to hold your hand and exposition dump everyone's backstory? No, I don't think it does. Shinkai's interview said he didn't WANT to do that this time; he chose to be more subtle. I think it was a good choice.

When the ENTIRE character's motivation is based on his runaway, you OUGHT to explain it. Feeling entrapped? How and why? How am i supposed to feel for his plight in the first cour (Hodoka struggling Tokyo) if i don't even understand WHY he does that in the first place. It's just a STRANGE DREAM, and he just suddenly runs away. It could've been taken as metaphor if it had some sort of nuance in itself. Again, his reaction to the idea of returning home is so strong that you ought to think there's something bigger back home, but nope. There's a BIG difference between spoonfeeding and necessary exposition to explain glaring scenes that needs it.

It's easier to handwave other people's problems when you are not witnessing their reactions before your very eyes. It becomes more difficult once you get up close. Keisuke already saw himself in Hodaka. He also saw his separation from his beloved late wife in Hodaka and Hina's situation. It was obvious he was thinking "Not again, if I can f*cking help it!"

In a way, Keisuke got his happy ending through Hodaka's choice; to be reunited with a loved one.

But Hodoka already shows his resolve even when Keisuke starts the comparison between him and Hodoka, before the confrontation at the abandoned building. His "heel-face turn" is added later for drama at this point.

It's fine. It's not like this took place in two days; the kids spent quite a lot of time together and they just clicked. They clearly enjoyed each other's company; the montages of them working and running to the hotel along with her little brother were displaying to us 'these three are now a family'. I think it's one of Shinkai's better romances...since they interacted with each other a LOT more than his other leads.

Friends? Sure. Romance? Never. It's one-sided crush but suddenly Hina is comfortable enough to show Hodaka her aqueous tits. Their interactions are that of friends and not even slightest of "friend-turned-lover" touch that Taki and Mitsuha (the closest we got to HS budding romance) got (playful banter, bragging about their popularity to the opposite gender, making fun of each other for not having BF/GF)

Those aren't really "holes"; they're just details being touched upon.

Details that, if it weren't going to be developed anywhere, would better be off not written, but that's clearly not the case. The exposition the fortune teller gives didn't just gloss the already given ones, but also adds (which im having problem with) new ones. Also the whole water creatures that are given scenes like the toddler in apartment and two schoolkids never went anywhere either.

Obviously dead or estranged from the family, otherwise they'd live with him? Come on, use your brain. xD

At this point you're like a Star Wars fan trying to "correct" and "explain" every single ever-so-human mistakes every time a non-OG trilogy movie comes out.

It's such a basic exposition that has to be given in a story that expects you to treat it as a realistic story, yet it didn't even bother. Why no character, in this realistic world, ever asks such question? "Where's your father".

inb4 "spoonfeeding"

a story can get away with explaining things if they already have a subtle explanation that details it if the watcher is paying attention, like in Endgame people can explain why Thor loses to Thanos (because it's shown that he's out-of-shape, out-of-action and is depressed) or in MCU as a whole in "Why Thanos doesn't just take the gems himself in the first place" (risking Odin's attention, and especially after he's dead, Thanos makes his move).... Or if the owed explanation is not needed because it doesn't fit the theme (why would you ask how our orphaned protagonist in the post-apocalyptic world is orphaned in the first place, if the movie never intended to explore that aspect of storytelling).

The latter is remarkable because Weathering With You has a coat of "Family" and "Real Adult World" attached to it, primarily by Keisuke losing his wife.... Makes you think why he never asked such question in the first place considering Hina and her brother is in the same position as his child.

Didn't one of the gansters mention how someone threw it away?

He has it already in the ship, no? Not to mention it sounds contrived as hell. Just so the trailer could have a gun on it and people would think the film is deep/dark, basically trailer bait scenes with little to no effort to explain when put in conjunction with the rest of the film. A trailer bait, a la Mr. Tetsuya Nomura himself.

Take character cameos with a grain of salt lol; artists will put them there just because it's fun. I also do it in my own works.

Well, it's just a minor pet peeve, after all.

Well it was revealed there's a whole different world up in the sky. It was also revealed that Hina received her power to control the rain/sun one year before those events. You can accept the dragon and water fish as a sign that the balance is now out of whack because Hina's powers come with a price.

But WHY? Surely, there's a better way to show the viewer "the climate is fucked" than that.

Years of consuming JoJo and i can feel it's a scrapped idea for the story, but it never got developed by the writer. It's similar to the Your Name trailer where Taki and Mitsuha passed by the stairs in their school uniforms. Only, this still gets put in the film (only to be glossed over).
Jan 24, 2020 9:04 AM
Dec 2018
MarylandIzumiKun said:
I disagree. I thought the writing for this one was among his strongest. Motivations were clearly laid out and the movie did not seem to have any parts where it dragged at all.

In terms of Shinkai's weakest writing, I would say that has to go to 5cm. Sorry, but I simply don't buy someone being hung up on a "romance" from ELEMENTARY School and never moving on. From the way Shinkai wrote the MC from 5cm, I did not buy that he would fail to move on or realize the shallowness of pre pre teen love.

Well, it's just Hodoka i'm having problem with. My friend joked "My homie got a wet dream about Tokyo and runs away".

About 5cm, keep in mind the MC's only friend in elementary school is Akari. It's not just some puppy love (i mean he shows dedication greater than any middle schooler ever). And the looming feeling that the universe is conspiring against him in that first episode sometimes hits too close to home.
Jan 24, 2020 9:23 AM

Nov 2008
Alcor_The_Faint said:
Chiibi said:

How does that make him any interesting? The build up isn't enough to begin with. Not to mention every time the police is in frame most watchers lost some braincells because of how incompetent the police are.

Police being incompetent in media is a PRETTY common trope, especially in anime. lol

When the ENTIRE character's motivation is based on his runaway, you OUGHT to explain it. Feeling entrapped? How and why?

If he explained that he was 'suffocating', that implies that his life was being controlled too much by other people. I totally get it?

But Hodoka already shows his resolve even when Keisuke starts the comparison between him and Hodoka, before the confrontation at the abandoned building. His "heel-face turn" is added later for drama at this point.

His "heel face" happened because he saw other men brutally handling a kid who he was already attached to (see Papa Wolf trope)

Friends? Sure. Romance? Never

Lol that's just your opinion. Friendship can easily go to romance, especially if it hasn't been a LONG friendship. I thought they had chemistry right away. The fireworks scene was a pretty big hint there...or are you totally unfamiliar with Romantic atmosphere in anime or what?

Also the whole water creatures that are given scenes like the toddler in apartment and two schoolkids never went anywhere either.

We were shown they were a part of the upper world...what else did you want from them?

It's such a basic exposition that has to be given in a story that expects you to treat it as a realistic story, yet it didn't even bother. Why no character, in this realistic world, ever asks such question? "Where's your father".

They could have asked off-screen...who cares; the answer is still obvious. Nobody asked that in Disney princess movies where you only see the father; you just assume the mother died. Lol

He has it already in the ship, no?

Don't remember.

But WHY? Surely, there's a better way to show the viewer "the climate is fucked" than that.

Lol "WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" anything?

Because it was visually interesting. :p Those were some of my favorite scenes.

Jan 24, 2020 5:11 PM
Dec 2018
Chiibi said:

Police being incompetent in media is a PRETTY common trope, especially in anime. lol

A comedic trope in a realistic world that expects you take it seriously (even Shinkai himself said this film is for mature audience)? No-no. This is the same film that has a grisly depiction of people who moves into big city struggling to make ends meet as its first cour.

If he explained that he was 'suffocating', that implies that his life was being controlled too much by other people. I totally get it?

Except he doesn't say that? The scene where he watches as he can only gaze upon Tokyo from a cape, being highlighted by sun only mentions how he's trying to reach something he can't get no? It's been 3 months since i saw it.

Not to mention it still fails to explains HOW much of his life being controlled, to justify his tantrum at the slightest mention of going home.

His "heel face" happened because he saw other men brutally handling a kid who he was already attached to (see Papa Wolf trope)

You may be misled by his "Get your hands off Hodoka!" remark. IIRC The scene where Keisuke changes his mind has him focused on Hodoka's expression and eyes, not the police being rough with him (which they really aren't)

Lol that's just your opinion. Friendship can easily go to romance, especially if it hasn't been a LONG friendship. I thought they had chemistry right away. The fireworks scene was a pretty big hint there...or are you totally unfamiliar with Romantic atmosphere in anime or what?

Friendship can easily go to romance, yes, but not like this. The slight chemistry came from their cute little big sis - lil bro relationship, and not much anywhere else (not to mention that relationship can be platonic). The fireworks scene is focused on Hodoka mesmerized by Hina, didn't get much development on their relationship.

Also, 5cm, GoW, and Your Name has their star-crossed lovers falling in love in a non-anime way, they fell in love like a real person would. 5cm romance is already built upon, and through flashbacks it's shown to be solid. GoW is about people mending each others wound and eventually blooms into affection. Both of them may not felt organic to some cultures, and i can see that, since it's intertwined with how Japanese teenagers at the time falls in love. What breaks the mold is Your Name. I can see that happening in my country in SEA or pretty much anywhere else.

We were shown they were a part of the upper world...what else did you want from them?

Maybe the explanation about the upper world itself? It only appears near the end and only for a short amount of time, and its existence still doesn't answer the two scenes with water animals.

They could have asked off-screen...who cares; the answer is still obvious. Nobody asked that in Disney princess movies where you only see the father; you just assume the mother died. Lol

Many cares because in a story with the given premise "Since my mother died, me and my brother has to live by our own means" in a realistic world and has a guy whose majority of his arc is about him being a single parent that lost a wife, it's very outlandish not to ask such question.

Disney princesses? First, they're based on already existing stories with its own set of characters. Second, they're not in a real world setting where you expect them to deal with their problems like a normal human being. Third, they actually did in a story that incorporates family in some sort. Princess and The Frog has Tiana inheriting her late father's restaurant, but her mother does exists and actually part of the story.

Don't remember.

After Keisuke helped Hodoka he noticed the gun in his bag in the ship (or in the docks) IIRC

And the point still stands, the purpose of that gun and its subsequent gunshot is a trailer bait. Shinkai is friends with Nomura now?

Lol "WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" anything?

Because it was visually interesting. :p Those were some of my favorite scenes.

Well it's aesthetically pleasing to look at. It's Shinkai after all. But it serves no purpose.

Other beautiful scenes in his previous movies have some meanings. Your Name's Mitsuha life flashes is a big chunk of exposition (about how her father left the family and the circumstance of her mother's life and death). 5cm's montage is there to show what happened between them, also the Tokyo shots are there to compare the circumstance between the MC and Akari, in their childhood year and adulthood.

Jan 24, 2020 6:02 PM

Nov 2008
Alcor_The_Faint said:

Except he doesn't say that?

He absolutely did. I saw the movie two days ago.

Not to mention it still fails to explains HOW much of his life being controlled, to justify his tantrum at the slightest mention of going home.

If his reaction is THAT extreme, that means " a lot of it."

You may be misled by his "Get your hands off Hodoka!" remark. IIRC The scene where Keisuke changes his mind has him focused on Hodoka's expression and eyes, not the police being rough with him (which they really aren't)

They were being pretty rough with him; Papa Wolf trope still applies.

Friendship can easily go to romance, yes, but not like this.

Why not? She told him 'You gave me my purpose in life'. That's a pretty romantic thing to say to someone. And she definitely flirted with him; touching his face and stuff.

Speaking as a girl,

"Girls don't touch the faces of guys we aren't into."

Maybe the explanation about the upper world itself? It only appears near the end and only for a short amount of time, and its existence still doesn't answer the two scenes with water animals.

That makes it more mysterious. I don't see anything wrong with that. Why should the movie make us understand EVERY little thing? I think it's cooler when details of other worlds aren't explained. It's called 'imagination'. Explaining what they are and why they're there takes all the WONDER out of it.

Many cares

Nah, just you. :D

Disney princesses? First, they're based on already existing stories with its own set of characters.

Not all of them.

Second, they're not in a real world setting where you expect them to deal with their problems like a normal human being.

Again, not all of them.

Third, they actually did in a story that incorporates family in some sort. Princess and The Frog has Tiana inheriting her late father's restaurant, but her mother does exists and actually part of the story.

Sure but I'm talking about girls like Belle and Jasmine whose mothers were never mentioned. They were not important to the story...just like how Hina's father isn't important to the story.

And the point still stands, the purpose of that gun and its subsequent gunshot is a trailer bait. Shinkai is friends with Nomura now?

I don't know who Nomura is.

Well it's aesthetically pleasing to look at. It's Shinkai after all. But it serves no purpose.

So what? A lot of Miyazaki's creatures don't serve a purpose either; they're just there because they're neat to look at.

Jan 24, 2020 6:41 PM
Dec 2018
Chiibi said:
He absolutely did. I saw the movie two days ago.

I'll give you benefit of doubt since i watched it on August and could've been a different translation.

If his reaction is THAT extreme, that means " a lot of it."

Yes but WHAT. It's basically a reaction to a noodle incident except it doesn't even said what the incident is.

They were being pretty rough with him; Papa Wolf trope still applies.

Not immediate and the focus that pushes Keisuke to action is not on their roughness, but rather Hodoka's resolve. Nope.

Why not? She told him 'You gave me my purpose in life'. That's a pretty romantic thing to say to someone. And she definitely flirted with him; touching his face and stuff.

Speaking as a girl,

"Girls don't touch the faces of guys we aren't into."

Again, that's in the love hotel where their love story is dumped in one segment.

That makes it more mysterious. I don't see anything wrong with that. Why should the movie make us understand EVERY little thing? I think it's cooler when details of other worlds aren't explained. It's called 'imagination'. Explaining what they are and why they're there takes all the WONDER out of it.

Good movies makes beautiful things and gives them meanings. Doesn't even have to be explicit like the examples i've given.

Nah, just you. :D

Anyone with critical thinking and realization that this story hinges upon the fact that it's supposed to be realistic and people can even expect Keisuke to draw similarities between his child and the siblings fate, asks this.

Not all of them.

Again, not all of them.

I'm talking about those like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty on their rather fixed cast and setting.

The only non-fairytale princesses were Mulan and Tiana, no? And the latter incorporates a death of a parent without the absence of the other

Sure but I'm talking about girls like Belle and Jasmine whose mothers were never mentioned. They were not important to the story...just like how Hina's father isn't important to the story.

Agrabah is rather a medium fantasy, no way the Sultan could rule like that. So we can expect stuffs to be glossed away.

Beauty and The Beast original screenplay actually has Belle's mother but it's removed, pretty sure later iterations mentions her death.

And like you said, having their mother mentioned does not add anything to the story. Because it is not one of the aspect of the story.

But you have Princess and The Frog. It's pretty realistic aside from Facilier's voodoo, Tiana has to struggle with her late father's restaurant.... And Disney writes her mother into the story, even though she doesn't play any integral role in the story, because they don't leave loose ends.

Weathering With You could really use some mentions of Hina's and Nagi's father, considering his absence puts them into a circumstance their initial character revolves on, and if it's said to be deadbeat father, Keisuke could get a moment to ponder and further develops his character ("hmm what a shitty father, i shouldn't be like that") and perhaps treats the two even closer.

I don't think it's Shinkai being afraid of the father's presence (or lack thereof) could lessen the drama he's trying to present (a la Hirohiko Araki never mentioning the idea of destroying Red Stone of Aja again because cheapens Part 2's thrill), but i can help to feel that way. In a realistic setting, a pair of siblings are left to take care of their own things since their mother's death, and nobody asking where the hell their father is pretty jarring.

I don't know who Nomura is.

Director of Kingdom Hearts with a zipper fetish. His game's post 2010 trailers are full of shocks to the fanbase, giving hype, fantheory, and such. But when those clips from the trailers are put together, the build-up to those clips rarely makes sense. The most infamous is the trailer where the MC is screaming in agony, the fanbase went total anarchy but turns out the circumstance that leads to such scene is arguably the worst written scene in all gaming history. "This dude has ideas to make a cool trailer but has no idea to continue or precede those clips and link them together" said a redditor.

So what? A lot of Miyazaki's creatures don't serve a purpose either; they're just there because they're neat to look at.

Never watched any of his movies.

Alcor_The_FaintJan 24, 2020 6:44 PM
Jan 24, 2020 6:57 PM

Nov 2008
@Alcor_The_Faint

Dude, I just don't agree with you on anything. :/ Someone else can fight with you.

Jan 24, 2020 7:18 PM

Oct 2014
I'd be surprised if it's worse than his writing in The Place Promised in Our Early Days or Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Those are rough. Writing is really not Shinkai's strong suit.

Alcor_The_Faint said:

You've never seen a Miyazaki film? That's gotta be a sin of the highest order for any anime fan.
Jan 24, 2020 7:57 PM
Dec 2018
Pyro said:
I'd be surprised if it's worse than his writing in The Place Promised in Our Early Days or Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Those are rough. Writing is really not Shinkai's strong suit.

Alcor_The_Faint said:

You've never seen a Miyazaki film? That's gotta be a sin of the highest order for any anime fan.

Well Place Promised in Our Early Days was said to be Shinkai's attempt to mimic Miyazaki but fails miserably... Tbf, i haven't watched that one.... And im really comparing it to his previous three lol

I always wanted to try Miyazaki's movies but my college deadlines keeps piling on >_>
at least i've watched FMAB in terms of "great anime works"....
Jan 27, 2020 12:55 PM
Apr 2013
I thought the same about Hodoka's background story. I thought at first that something really bad had happened to him because he decided to rather live as a homeless in Tokio, starving, with no money than living with his parents. He always says that he will never go back home. But then after the arrest, the police sends him back and he seems to life a normal life and finishes school like every other guy.

The point that annoyed me the most was the insane amount of surreptitious advertising during the whole movie. They really used every opportunity to show us some real life brands. Every laptop and smartphone in this movie has a big fat Apple logo, the older guy always smokes Kent cigarettes and drinks Maker's Mark, Hodoka was sitting at McDonald's and eats a burger and says that it is the best Meal of his life, the Yahoo logo everytime someone uses the internet.... I wonder how much money those companies paid for all the ads.

Chiibi said:

In general, adults in animes seem to be somehow incompetent, stupid and unreliable... not only policeman.
advocatusJan 27, 2020 1:03 PM
Jan 27, 2020 1:02 PM

Nov 2008
advocatus said:

The point that annoyed me the most was the insane amount of surreptitious advertising during the whole movie. They really used every opportunity to show us some real life brands. Every laptop and smartphone in this movie has a big fat Apple logo, the older guy always smokes Kent cigarettes and drinks Maker's Mark, Hodoka was sitting at McDonald's and eats a burger and says that it is the best Meal of his life... I wonder how much money those companies paid for all the ads.

I never mind this in movies and shows; I think it's funny such a tiny thing annoys others though.

I don't think Hodaka's comment was so much about McD's burger as it was about the situation he was in and because he was starving, fastfood would be a Godsend compared to what he was eating before.

Also the plural of 'anime' is 'anime'.

Jan 27, 2020 1:07 PM
Apr 2013
Chiibi said:
advocatus said:

The point that annoyed me the most was the insane amount of surreptitious advertising during the whole movie. They really used every opportunity to show us some real life brands. Every laptop and smartphone in this movie has a big fat Apple logo, the older guy always smokes Kent cigarettes and drinks Maker's Mark, Hodoka was sitting at McDonald's and eats a burger and says that it is the best Meal of his life... I wonder how much money those companies paid for all the ads.

I never mind this in movies and shows; I think it's funny such a tiny thing annoys others though.

I don't think Hodaka's comment was so much about McD's burger as it was about the situation he was in and because he was starving, fastfood would be a Godsend compared to what he was eating before.

Of course it was not about the burger in the first place, but it has a bitter taste when he says something like that after they showed the big McDonald's logo, the McDonald's burger box and the McDonald's burger.

It's annoying for me because i pay to watch a movie and not for ads. Normally they at least change the fruit from Apple to Cherry but in this movie, they punched us with the logos straight in our faces.
advocatusJan 27, 2020 1:21 PM
Jan 27, 2020 1:32 PM

Nov 2008
It didn't bother me at all; it's basically a "Blink and you'll probably miss it" sort of thing. Doesn't affect the story, anyway.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenki no Ko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Jul 18, 2019

383 by Myetx »»
Mar 9, 3:16 AM

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» Everything wrong with Tenki no Ko

Atsunome - Mar 17, 2023

26 by Steph »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

19 by Atsunome »»
Mar 13, 2023 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.