Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 13, 2019 1:34 PM

Jan 2017
I am saving my vote until Railgun 3 comes out.
Aug 13, 2019 1:38 PM

Dec 2016
Thanjh said:
Ferien said:
These early discussions are so pointless when the current anime of the season have not finished airing yet and we still have one more season to go.
Thanks I didn't realize how early it is and nobody else has replied with how early and pointless this thread is. Couldn't just pick an anime or say which is better?

Calm down, no need to heat your head up. And I don't know, haven't completed any 2019 show so far besides Mob2 and I didn't like it , so I can't really answer.
Aug 13, 2019 4:19 PM

Apr 2014
Why is this already being created, when there is 1 and a half season left. Leave this shit for the end of the year, please....
Aug 13, 2019 4:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
WHERE IS "MIRU TIGHTS" YOU FUCKING SCRUB? >:O
Aug 13, 2019 4:39 PM

Jul 2016
Kimetsu no yaiba episode 19 is my pick.

Aug 13, 2019 4:40 PM
Feb 2017
The year hasn't even ended yet, why do these things keep popping up.

Also, >Vinland Saga rated #2, only has 6/24 episodes out. This is another reason why I don't like these threads.

That aside, I think Mob Psycho II is AOTY. If it were top 3 I'd choose Mob Psycho, AoT, and Kaguya-sama. I'm fine with either Mob or AoT getting AOTY though, both were superb.
MegaStrideAug 13, 2019 4:44 PM
Aug 13, 2019 4:55 PM

Feb 2018
i see some comments saying AOT or KnY can take best animation from mob100 , I just don't see it
BlakexEkalb said:
That aside, I think Mob Psycho II is AOTY. If it were top 3 I'd choose Mob Psycho, AoT, and Kaguya-sama. I'm fine with either Mob or AoT getting AOTY though, both were superb.

Same here
Aug 13, 2019 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
If I had to pick a top 5 through the first half...

1. SnK Season 3 Part 2 - SnK has had quite the seven year journey...never would have thought it would get to be this good.

2. The Promised Neverland - Not too many anime are so good, it inspires me to read the manga...The Promised Neverland was one of the few that accomplished that feat.

3. Dororo - Definitely my surprise anime of the year so far. I’m generally not a junkie for samurai anime, but Dororo caught me, hook, line and sinker.

4. Fruits Basket - I mean, I loved the original that aired in the early 2000s and so far the remake is blowing it out of the water.

5. Demon Slayer - This one could easily move up, especially considering how episode 19 ended. Still, this one hasn’t “captivated” me like it has with some. I’m not really in love with the characters and the one main character I REALLY like gets some rather seldom screen time (Nezuko).

Summer Dark Horses
Vinland Saga - Of the summer anime I’m watching, I’d say this one has the most potential to climb into my top 5. I don’t want to “rate” it until it at least completes a cour.

Dr. Stone - I’m not really a “science guy,” but I find this series fascinating. Also has a contender for “best girl.”

Fire Force - I mean, I LOVE Soul Eater and this is practically Soul Eater with firefighters rather than witch and demon hunters. On the plus side, at least the cast of this anime is far more tolerable (seriously, fuck the person who came up with Black Star’s character. Easily in my top 5 most annoying anime characters of all-time...yes, even above Shinji from NGE).
Aug 14, 2019 12:19 AM

May 2018
AoT season 3 part 2 is AoTY for me. Kimetsu no Yaiba is 2nd.
Aug 14, 2019 6:28 AM

Apr 2014
way too early to tell but so far aot s3 p2 for me
Aug 14, 2019 7:24 AM

Apr 2012
Of what we've seen so far, Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo, Carole and Tuesday and Machikado Mazoku seem the top contenders. But Chiyafuru 3 is coming...
Aug 14, 2019 7:25 AM

Jan 2018
Thanjh said:
thepath said:
Why JoJo is not on the list ???

I say my top 3 are these so far

JoJo
Attak on titan 3 part 2
Vinland Saga

Other good show worth mention
Yakusoku no Neverland
Dororo
Because it started in Fall 2018. Also I thought Golden Wind was a step backwards from Diamond is Unbreakable personally.

It starting in 2018 is kinda redundant considering a majority of it aired this year. It only aired 3 months in 18 opposed to 7 months in 19. Counting it towards either year is fair.
What a beautiful Duwang
Aug 14, 2019 7:31 AM

Aug 2018
I was lowkey tempted on voting for Kaguya-sama but ended up voting for AOT S3 P2 instead.
Aug 14, 2019 7:43 AM
Dec 2018
For me its AOT and kimetsu no yaiba , they are both epic anime also neverland was pretty good
Aug 14, 2019 7:59 AM
Mar 2018
Attack on Titan. Tho, I love Mob Psycho and liked The Promised Neverland. AoT deserves it.
Aug 14, 2019 8:22 AM
Jan 2019
Jus1294 said:
Thanjh said:
Because it started in Fall 2018. Also I thought Golden Wind was a step backwards from Diamond is Unbreakable personally.

It starting in 2018 is kinda redundant considering a majority of it aired this year. It only aired 3 months in 18 opposed to 7 months in 19. Counting it towards either year is fair.
I agree you can say it belongs to any year but the fact it started airing last year isn’t redundant. It started in 2018. It’s a 2018 anime that continued into 2019.
Aug 14, 2019 8:37 AM

Apr 2018
sodomized said:
Edylson said:

Or maybe just maaaaaybe, you shouldn't care about other people's opinions, i mean that statement of yours is filled with buzzwords, but yeah i agree with Vinland Saga that shit is fire

'melodramatic' and 'convoluted' are buzzwords now, top kek

I'd say "melodramatic" is indeed a buzzword. At this point is just used to describe a drama that didn't resonate with you/you were not invested in.

OT: Kaguya-sama is my pick for now.
Aug 14, 2019 9:51 AM
Jan 2019
Mob Psycho 100 II, easy. Best animation, best character development, best everything.

I found AOT S3P2 to be pretty boring honestly, even with the big fights like Levi vs Beast Titan and major deaths.

I don't really get the dick sucking that KnY is getting right now, since if you take the animation away it's just an above-average shonen series.

Vinland Saga is also another anime with lots of fanboys even though after six episodes not much shit happened that interested me. Fire and Force and Dr. Stone are AOTS at best. Didn't watch Kaguya-sama, and dropped Fruits Basket on episode 3. And Ynn and ShieldBro were fine. Although ShieldBro doesn't deserve the hate it's getting on this thread.

But all in all, feel like it's way too early to make this sort of poll.
Aug 14, 2019 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
Ferien said:
These early discussions are so pointless when the current anime of the season have not finished airing yet and we still have one more season to go.

when they announced aot for this year it was already decided it will be AOTY, so the discussions are indeed pointless.
Aug 14, 2019 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the first few episodes of Shield Hero so so much, but then it just got progressively worse. What a waste.
I think the show actually suffered by having too many episodes. It was stretched too thin.

Promised Neverland was quite good. But the manga is better.
It just captures the tension a lot more effectively, maybe it's one of the advantages of the format.

Probably gonna have to give it to AoT in the end. It was a solid season.
And it actually rivals the manga...
Aug 14, 2019 10:14 AM
Mar 2016
Mob Psycho would've been my Aoty if it wasn't for the last arc. Seriously the villains are so underwhelming even when the action animation was on the next level. Episode 5 was fantastic and probably my favorite episode of the year so far.

Attack on titan s3 is my pick, even as a manga reader the anime surprised me. A rollercoaster all the way through. The series is not the same anymore at all.

Not counting the sequels (or even adaptations in this case) my pick is Sarazanmai. I loved it so much. Oozes with style and the entire theme of ''connecting'' really resonated with me. Def a plebfilter and i love it.
Aug 14, 2019 10:15 AM

Mar 2018
Mine is Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo followed by AoT.
Aug 14, 2019 10:15 AM

Sep 2018
Vinland or Boogiepop are for a facct AOTY.
Aug 14, 2019 10:21 AM

Jun 2016
There are a lot of AOT fanboys on this server. I will not be surprised if it finishes 1st right now or at the end of the year.
Aug 14, 2019 10:28 AM

Sep 2017
So far, it's Kimetsu no Yaiba for me  
Aug 14, 2019 11:25 AM

Jan 2017
I vote for KnY. Aot and Mob definitely deserve to be aoty, but I enjoy Yaiba much more than those two.
“A detective who corners a culprit with their reasoning and drives them to suicide in front of himself – is no different than a murderer.”
– Shinichi Kudo
Aug 14, 2019 11:51 AM

Aug 2017
1. AOT Season 3 Part 2
2. Vinland Saga
3. Promised Neverland
4. Shield Hero
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. Dororo
7. Mob Psycho 100 II

Others dont care
Aug 14, 2019 11:55 AM

Mar 2014
Vinland Saga is the real AOTY. AoT gets more attention because season 3 lole.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Aug 14, 2019 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
I voted Vinland Saga
I think what makes this show great so far is the slow pacing; whereas other anime just rush straight through Act 1, Vinland Saga takes its time to go through Act 1 so you can really care about the characters, or at least, feel the weight of Thors' death. Rather than just skip straight to Thorfinn being the adult cold-hearted killer he is in the manga, the anime really shows his gradual development from an innocent child into that cold-hearted killer. Vinland Saga is dark, brutal, horrific, but in a way that is perfectly natural, given its setting. It doesn't shove its dark themes into your face the way many anime do; no dark scene feels unnecessary. Every episode has me drooling for more. If this anime continues at this pace, and a second season is guaranteed, this may become my favorite anime of all time.

Themousen said:

Interesting. Given it's reputation as being a generic shounen, I'd love to hear why you really like this show.
Aug 14, 2019 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
I did not vote because I'm divided into 3 shows: Fruits Basket, Demon Slayer and The Promised Neverland.

Quality wise, I would give it to TPN. When it comes to enjoyment, Demon Slayer. And for personal reasons, I would say Fruits Basket.

This year was so good it is impossible for me to choose between these 3.

Aug 14, 2019 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
While VL has a strong chance of being AOTY for me as well still I am waiting for Hoshiai no Sora/Kabukichou Sherlock/Pet to see how they goes too. (since all the shows stated are original). Also waiting to see "babylon" pv which is the same original creator of Kado which was one of very interesting show all in all.

Mob S2 was real close strong contender for me but real unfortuantely got messed up with shounen writing and bad pacing toward the end. Promised Neverland had strong direction but not enough for being top 5 unless I can't find other 4 yet on this fall.
Aug 14, 2019 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
Thanjh said:
HopefulNihilist said:
I voted Vinland Saga
I think what makes this show great so far is the slow pacing; whereas other anime just rush straight through Act 1, Vinland Saga takes its time to go through Act 1 so you can really care about the characters, or at least, feel the weight of Thors' death. Rather than just skip straight to Thorfinn being the adult cold-hearted killer he is in the manga, the anime really shows his gradual development from an innocent child into that cold-hearted killer. Vinland Saga is dark, brutal, horrific, but in a way that is perfectly natural, given its setting. It doesn't shove its dark themes into your face the way many anime do; no dark scene feels unnecessary. Every episode has me drooling for more. If this anime continues at this pace, and a second season is guaranteed, this may become my favorite anime of all time.

Interesting. Given it's reputation as being a generic shounen, I'd love to hear why you really like this show.
I feel like KnY should've been the shounen equivalent in terms of being a good, dark anime but seen as the dark tone almost killed the manga the creator had to opt out for the lightheartedness that was introduced, which i personally am not a fan of.

So Demon Slayer started off as really dark, but that led people liking it less, which led to the mangaka making it more light-hearted? I don't understand. There are plenty of successful dark shounen manga (Akame ga Kill, The Promised Neverland).
Aug 14, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Thanjh said:
HopefulNihilist said:

So Demon Slayer started off as really dark, but that led people liking it less, which led to the mangaka making it more light-hearted? I don't understand. There are plenty of successful dark shounen manga (Akame ga Kill, The Promised Neverland).
I don't follow manga but I saw people who follow the KnY manga say it wasn't popular partially for it's dark tones to blame, so they added in Zenitsu to make it lighter and seen as he was well received the show got more lighthearted overall.

I highly doubt the dark tone was the cause of the declining popularity; if that was the case, how come Akame ga Kill and The Promised Neverland were so successful?
Aug 14, 2019 2:42 PM

Sep 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
I voted Vinland Saga

Themousen said:

Let's see :
- I love the OST, the best of the season for me
- love the opening too
- animation is really interesting and sometimes even gorgeous
- I like the characters (especially Tanjiro and Nezuko). Tanjiro's personnality is pretty unique and he's more clever than most shonen MC
- the story is interesting, simple but interesting
- there's really touching moments, sometimes involving the demons (which shows the anime isn't one-sided)
- so far, the main villain is great : enigmatic, cruel and badass but also really interesting
- the whole atmosphere of this anime is mostly dark, with comedic situations occuring sometimes. This type of narration didn't bother me in FMAB and it still doesn't in Kimetsu no Yaiba

The other AOTY opponents are Mob Psycho 100 II and Yakusoku no Neverland, but I didn't enjoy them as much as KNY (even though I enjoyed them a lot)
Aug 14, 2019 3:00 PM

Sep 2017
Thanjh said:
Themousen said:

Let's see :
- I love the OST, the best of the season for me
- love the opening too
- animation is really interesting and sometimes even gorgeous
- I like the characters (especially Tanjiro and Nezuko). Tanjiro's personnality is pretty unique and he's more clever than most shonen MC
- the story is interesting, simple but interesting
- there's really touching moments, sometimes involving the demons (which shows the anime isn't one-sided)
- so far, the main villain is great : enigmatic, cruel and badass but also really interesting
- the whole atmosphere of this anime is mostly dark, with comedic situations occuring sometimes. This type of narration didn't bother me in FMAB and it still doesn't in Kimetsu no Yaiba

The other AOTY opponents are Mob Psycho 100 II and Yakusoku no Neverland, but I didn't enjoy them as much as KNY (even though I enjoyed them a lot)
Does it bother you that Nezuko’s brainwashed the whole time cos that kind of stops me from enjoying anything she does when she’s not fighting demons.

Doesn't bother me at all

Oh, silly me, it didn't came in my mind because it wasn't in the poll, but if the second season of Mo Dao Zu Shi is as good (or even better) as the 1st one, then it'll be without a doubt my 2019 AOTY, beating Kimetsu no Yaiba. I've only watched 2 episodes so far so I can't be sure, but it can be my favourite 2019 anime.
Aug 14, 2019 3:07 PM

May 2018
Another anti-Jojo poll eh? Seen tons of similar topics already and somehow all of them tend to ignore Jojo while adding many meh things which don't even deserve to be mentioned

Aug 14, 2019 3:19 PM
Jan 2019
Nemo_Niemand said:
Another anti-Jojo poll eh? Seen tons of similar topics already and somehow all of them tend to ignore Jojo while adding many meh things which don't even deserve to be mentioned
Anti JoJo? More like anti anything that didn’t start airing in 2019. Personally I don’t care if more aired in 2019 than 2018, if it starts in 2018 it’s not going in my 2019 poll. If I were to include JoJo part 5 I’d also include run with the wind and between those two I’d pick run with the wind every time.
Aug 14, 2019 3:22 PM

Sep 2017
Thanjh said:
Themousen said:

Doesn't bother me at all

Oh, silly me, it didn't came in my mind because it wasn't in the poll, but if the second season of Mo Dao Zu Shi is as good (or even better) as the 1st one, then it'll be without a doubt my 2019 AOTY, beating Kimetsu no Yaiba. I've only watched 2 episodes so far so I can't be sure, but it can be my favourite 2019 anime.
I actually had it there but took it away cos nobody watches it compared to anything Japanese. You liking season 2 at the moment? I think the current arc is good but I’d prefer if they go back to where the flashbacks left of last season in the next episode or two.

Hard to say, I loved the whole flashback and especially the relationship between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji, a relationship which obviouslu isn't there in S2 (yet...)
But the demon hand arc seems interesting. It's also creepier than the rest of the anime, and I love it. But, like I said, I only watched 2 episodes (against the 15 from S1), so I can't compare yet but these 2 episodes alone are great
Aug 14, 2019 3:38 PM
Nov 2018
Aot because i love the story second goes to PN for the same reason and 3rd would go to Mob Psycho II or JojoGW (if it counts)

As of this moment ofc but we'll see maybe something big will pop up
Aug 14, 2019 4:20 PM

Oct 2013
The score was already a reflection that snk is getting the AOTY and the votes doesn't surprise me either. If kimetsu didn't have that last 2 minutes of sakuga, the votes would be a lot lower.
Aug 14, 2019 5:26 PM

Oct 2017
For me, Kaguya-sama. But, it's not actually been a great year for me so far. Lots of 7/10s. Kaguya just really worked for me. The comedy had me laughing out loud hard every episode. I love the art, and character designs both in appearence and their personlities. But it was the way it blended the comedy with a more dramatic/romantic tone towards the end that really pushed it to 10/10 status.

All that said, I still need to catch up with AoT and I have no doubt it's thoroughly deserving of all the praise.

Right now, if there were any awards given out, I would be happy with AoT or Kaguya getting recognition. I wouldn't mind MP100 getting some love either, even though it didn't work for me at all. That said, I feel like MP100 falls in to same category as KnY in that they are carried by their animation and story should trump animation. KnY is generic as all hell and MP100 had some good character moments with Reigen but beyond that didn't impress me as a narrative.

Also, as much as MP100 does have technically good animation, the art style is beyond ugly, unlike the beautiful stuff that ufotable makes. If we're reducing a story-telling medium to just visual asthetic, anime should look good in the still frame also, and KnY >> MP100 in that regard.

inb4 "but anime is short for animation so that's the most important factor"
That attitude is analogous to someone who doesn't know good food, praising a restaurant for it's presentation rather than how the food actually tastes.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 14, 2019 5:31 PM

Oct 2017
I think talking about AOTY is kind of... not pointless, but... it's decided by what the most popular genre is. Action stuff is always more popular, so a decent action show would win a contest over a masterpiece romcom every time.

Talking about romance or comedy or drama of the year rather than anime of the year is a lot more meaningful, in my opinion. It becomes less a genre popularity contest that way.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 14, 2019 6:03 PM

Apr 2019
YossaRedMage said:
I think talking about AOTY is kind of... not pointless, but... it's decided by what the most popular genre is. Action stuff is always more popular, so a decent action show would win a contest over a masterpiece romcom every time.

Talking about romance or comedy or drama of the year rather than anime of the year is a lot more meaningful, in my opinion. It becomes less a genre popularity contest that way.

honestly this year all the best anime are action , it's not just because the action genre is more popular .instead of kaguya we don't have any romance or slice of life with high quality .in 2018 we have :
A Place Further Than The Universe
Violet Evergarden
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Tada-kun
asobi asobase
i don't know if i forget something else
Aug 14, 2019 7:18 PM

May 2015
sodomized said:
madscientist0001 said:
Or may be AOT is actually good and most people are accepting that fact.

Wow, I love shingeki now!
Thanks for opening my eyes with that concise argument. Brb, gotta go appreciate AoT a shitton now, might even cream over isekai animu later.

I mean, you had no argument either...

Aug 14, 2019 7:23 PM

Feb 2018
YossaRedMage said:

A place further than the universe was last year's AOTY tho
Aug 14, 2019 7:42 PM

Jan 2019
For shonen standards, Kimetsu No Yaiba is good. However, I feel like the spectacular animation blinds people from the underlying basic story. It's nothing special, calm down people.
For me, I voted Vinland Saga. I prefer stories that slowly introduce and establish characters while some go through major development. Story is more important than art in my opinion. While Mob Psycho 100 S2 and AOT S2 P3 are both very great, but Vinland Saga managed to resonate with me the most.
However, Vinland Saga's story has just truly begun and I look forward to how they approach it.
Aug 14, 2019 8:34 PM

Oct 2017
I voted for mob
it was by far the best in overall production this year

a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶O̶T̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶.̶
Aug 14, 2019 8:39 PM

Sep 2017
Mob Psycho 100 II for the moment....but i hope come here in the future and say Vinland Saga is the AOTY
Aug 14, 2019 11:30 PM
Jan 2019
YossaRedMage said:

Yuri on ice and made in abyss won AOTY of the year for their year so I see your point but I don’t think it applies to every year. Maybe this one in particular just because the strongest ones apart from kaguya-sama IMO are action. Also pretty sure everyone agreed outside of awards that a place further than the universe was AOTY
Aug 15, 2019 1:12 AM
Jul 2019
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
I liked the first few episodes of Shield Hero so so much, but then it just got progressively worse. What a waste.

Bro I get what U mean. A dark seinen iseki turns into a light hearted harem. So lame. . .
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

35 by Cronosmu »»
33 seconds ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

50 by TsutanaiFuun »»
10 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

10 by TheMechaManiac »»
18 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.