Forum Settings
Forums

Would you prefer a boring masterpiece or an entertaining shitshow?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 13, 2019 9:48 AM

Sep 2018
I would chose a entertaining shitshow over a boring masterpiece anyday. This is because I watch anime for entertainment.
Jul 13, 2019 9:53 AM

Aug 2017
I prefer medium masterpiece with shit elements.
Jul 13, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2015
Agh, come now, let's not make false dichotomies.

"Boring" is such a nebulous term. By all accounts some great stuff like A Song of Ice and Fire should be "boring", most of it is talking but incredibly entertaining. Meanwhile, something like FLCL which is obviously meant to be entertaining bores the crap out of me.
AnimeFanTalk said:

As for the topic. I'll watch anything doesn't matter!

^
Jul 13, 2019 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
I watch/rate based on personal enjoyment. So I'd probably prefer an entertaining shit-show over a boring masterpiece.
Jul 13, 2019 11:27 AM

Jul 2019
secret: masterpiece can't be boring.
Jul 13, 2019 11:44 AM

Feb 2018
Wait what, how can you even put boring and masterpiece together in a sentence? I don't even know what to know anymore..
Jul 13, 2019 2:43 PM

Feb 2010
usually when i watch anime or anything else im so tired that things like long dialogues or complicated story lines only gives me stronger headache so yeah shitshows saves the day
Jul 13, 2019 3:23 PM

Oct 2017
If it is a masterpiece to me then it has to be entertaining. If your just talking about highly rated titles or stuff that usually ends up being considered "high art" again what is or isn't a masterpiece is up to you. You shouldn't concern yourself with others opinions on a work go in with a fresh mind.
Jul 13, 2019 3:25 PM

Nov 2016
An entertainning Shit show because then I wouldn't even notice it was a Shit show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2019 6:45 PM

Sep 2015
It is hard to answer this question because it is very subjective to what a masterpiece exactly is. If you consider a masterpiece something that is in general regarded of something very high quality by the community, it could still be boring for you. There are many different qualites we rank a piece of art or in this case a show by, but the matter to which we respond to them differ from person to person. I would rather watch an entertaining shitshow on a day-to-day basis to wind down, but I would also certainly try to make room to watch highly regarded titles every once in a while, even if they are boring, with the idea that they must possess other qualities not related to personal entertainment factor that makes them special.
Jul 13, 2019 7:12 PM

Aug 2018
2 extremes that don't exist, I would never consider a boring show a masterpiece nor I would enjoy a shit show... but basically, I prefer the one I enjoy more because being boring is something that I avoid watching.

There is no point in following a show just because it has a message, there are a lot of more important places from where you can get a real message. Most of the deepness in anime are just useless logics or reflections that have almost no impact irl.

Despite this, I enjoy deep themes and some are interesting, but interesting means enjoyable and fun, so there is no way that I would say that a masterpiece can be boring.
Jul 13, 2019 11:04 PM

Dec 2013
entertaining shitshow, thats why i sometimes watch """bad""" anime
i just want to have fun at the end of the day
Jul 14, 2019 12:15 PM

Jul 2015
The entertaining shitshow always, what's the point of watching something that is boring.
Jul 15, 2019 3:32 AM

May 2010
Pixel_Vapour said:
Most people prefer an entertaining shitshow. That's why both seasons of Code Geass has such a high score.

Orrrr hear me out

Both seasons of Code Geass have a high score, because they genuinely deserve it

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 3:52 AM
Jul 2019
if something bores you then it is just not made for you, why bother watch things just for the sake of it's masterpiece-ness?
Jul 15, 2019 4:38 AM
Nov 2017
I don't know what it is means. I mean, if you mean boring is something like Monster (first it's boring, but it's just slow for making it a masterpiece), then I'll go with boring masterpiece. However, if I just watch the entire "masterpiece" but find it boring, I don't even know if that was a masterpiece at all.

But sometimes I love sh*t that entertain me. Maybe for the example is Watamote or the other typical slice of life or it might be ecchi. But I find it boring more and more I watch them, knowing they made the same jokes even if it's a different anime over and over (I remember laugh so hard whenever I watched Tsundere girl punching the boy or the boy accidently touch the girl's boobs or saw their panties). That's why sh*t entertain sometimes not as entertaining as it's supposed to be.
Jul 15, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2018
A bit late but a lot of you asked what i consider a boring masterpiece. My answer is monogatari series. because i didn't understand a single thing in bakemonogatari (it was even harder than ergo proxy and serial experiments lain) but after watching nisemonogatari and neko kuro it made me realize that it is indeed great simply because of the dialogues and character interaction but still it doesn't change the fact that it's boring af (from my viewpoint). Same goes for ergo proxy too( after reading what the story was i knew that it was great but that didn't change the fact that it was boring).

Entertaing shitshows are easy to explain: from my perspective some examples are: School days, Happy sugar life, Elfen Lied, Dead tube(manga) I admit that they are really bad (like how annoying MC of school days is) but i still enjoy it maybe because i like ecchi+gore setting but i know that they are shit and if i'm not biased towards it, they're very average. [Isekai folks may insert any shitty isekai title that they enjoy here].
Jul 15, 2019 6:09 AM

Oct 2013
But if the show is masterpiece
of course it will be entertaining as well not boring
Jul 15, 2019 7:01 AM

Jan 2017
There is nothing like boring masterpiece but i would agree with entertaining shitshow. And the show that tops that list of mine is Isekai Smartphone LOL. It even grabbed a spot on my favourite list as well XD (coz i choose my favourite shows purely on the basis of enjoyment)
Jul 15, 2019 7:20 AM

Nov 2016
Johan said:
Pixel_Vapour said:
Most people prefer an entertaining shitshow. That's why both seasons of Code Geass has such a high score.

Orrrr hear me out

You may think Geass deserves its score but it doesn't stop it from being a shitshow unless you can somehow point out some of your views that doesn't make it such.
Pixel_VapourJul 15, 2019 7:27 AM
Jul 15, 2019 7:32 AM

May 2010
Pixel_Vapour said:
Johan said:

Orrrr hear me out

You may think Geass deserves its score but it doesn't stop it from being a shitshow unless you can somehow point out some of your views that doesn't make it such.

Of course I can do that, thats one of the easiest tasks I've ever been given.

Code Geass is a phenomenal show in the top 5 shows things I've ever seen out of nearly 3000.

You think I'm worried about proving you or anyone anything?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 7:35 AM

Jan 2015
>boring
>masterpiece

???? if its boring then its not a masterpiece lol
Jul 15, 2019 7:35 AM

May 2018
I usually prefer whatever I think is good.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Jul 15, 2019 7:47 AM
Aug 2018
how could it be a masterpiece if its boring
Jul 15, 2019 10:26 PM

Apr 2018
Perhaps a better wording of the question is "boring intellectual anime vs mindless entertainment"

Would take the latter any time, any day. At least im having fun with the latter lol
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

115 by Toha »»
5 minutes ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

36 by Saputrai »»
9 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

17 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

6 by WatchTillTandava »»
12 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

18 by ST63LTH »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.