Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 10, 2019 7:30 AM
Jun 2016
I'm somewhat interested in this series, we might actually get a great anime this year. But one thing bothers me.

I almost universally hate antagonists in anime. My favourite action anime are Psycho-pass, Mob Psycho 100, Houseki no Kuni. Psycho-pass is one of the few anime where I like the antagonist, because his motivations reflect us as the viewer (and assuming we aren't racist, that's a rare occurrence). Mob Psycho 100 treats its antagonists as in need of help, and they normally cast aside their role as antagonist within a few episodes. Houseki no Kuni portrays its antagonists as a faceless force of pure evil.

Those are the cases where I appreciate antagonists, in most cases I don't. Can I expect that this series won't have an antagonist? If it will have one, can I expect to like their presence in the story?

BTW, spoilers are fine. I could not care less about spoilers unless they are for games, the only anime that it would bother me to have spoiled is Aria (although now that I think about it, I don't think I really would've cared).

UPDATE: I think the antagonists have ended up ruining the series for me. Even though they're mostly put to one side, I can't really bring myself to be satisfied when things are going well, because I know at any moment the author can just arbitrarily throw Tsukasa, Magma or a brand new villain at them to provide a hindrance. Being told they don't wouldn't help, because just knowing that their success is because of that is itself a hindrance.

It took surprisingly long for me to be bothered by Tsukasa (the end of episode 4), because he genuinely seemed like a nice person, even as he murdered people. But he's a complete hypocrite, angry at adults for claiming ownership of the world while doing the same himself.

1. I can't relate to him.
2. He doesn't cast aside his role of antagonist, isn't treated as someone in need of help, and is presented as a genuine threat.
3. He is presented as an intelligent (and hence, unpredictable) entity, not as an abstract force like convergence in Steins;gate or the Lunarians in Houseki no Kuni.

I'll give it three more episodes just to be safe, but I don't think the villain worked out (pun not intended).
Tenderizer79Oct 4, 2019 2:48 PM
Jul 10, 2019 7:48 AM
Jun 2019
i didn't read much of the manga but as far as i know there was only one antagonist (so far in the story) but he didn't seem like a big deal.
Jul 10, 2019 9:36 AM
May 2014
To be honest I don't know if you will end up liking the main antagonist. His name is Tsukasa and his character is just not being Senku, he's opposite to him in any way possible, e.g. Physical power vs Mental Power.

I haven't read far enough to see how the author deals with their relationship but I don't expect it to be very complex, because even if both of them have valid arguments, Tsukasa as a character falls on the evil side of the spectrum meanwhile Senku leans more to being a goody two-shoes hiding behind an antihero mask.

TL;DR: The antagonist is call Tsukasa, likes everything Senku dislikes, kind of evil, expect a false grey morality sensation. Even so, I'm enjoying the manga.
Jul 10, 2019 1:56 PM
Nov 2018
Of course there is an antagonist. Almost any story will be boring without an antagonist. In this case, with no danger to fight there'd just be Senku slowly re-building technology. Another awakened is the antagonist:

Jul 10, 2019 3:20 PM

Aug 2017
I hope a human antagonist, not something weird.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 10, 2019 6:56 PM

Oct 2013
TsuDaichi said:
TL;DR: The antagonist is call Tsukasa, likes everything Senku dislikes, kind of evil, expect a false grey morality sensation. Even so, I'm enjoying the manga.

I hope it's not a big spoiler. Dunno if I was trolled, but some people claimed Tsukasa appears quite late in the manga.
Jul 10, 2019 6:58 PM
Jun 2016
@Hegar Thank you, that was as informative of an answer as I was hoping for. Sounds annoying, but doesn't seem like it'll entirely ruin the series.
Jul 10, 2019 6:59 PM

Jan 2009
seeing the spoilers here makes me hype, its like conservatives (old is gold) vs progressives (technologists) lol
Jul 10, 2019 7:01 PM
Jun 2016
Nurguburu said:
I hope a human antagonist, not something weird.
What are you on about, stories with human antagonists are by far the least interesting.
Jul 10, 2019 7:01 PM
Jun 2016
Adnash93 said:
TsuDaichi said:

I hope it's not a big spoiler. Dunno if I was trolled, but some people claimed Tsukasa appears quite late in the manga.
That sounds encouraging.
Jul 10, 2019 7:02 PM

Jul 2019
the antagonist is a naturalist. the perfect antagonist for a scientist.
Jul 10, 2019 7:09 PM

Oct 2013
Tenderizer17 said:
That sounds encouraging.

Agreed, but it's one more reason I wouldn't like to be spoiled about when or how he is gonna appear. If what I was told about the manga (and what I wrote down in my previous post) was true, of course.
Jul 10, 2019 7:14 PM
Jun 2016
Adnash93 said:
Tenderizer17 said:
That sounds encouraging.

Agreed, but it's one more reason I wouldn't like to be spoiled about when or how he is gonna appear. If what I was told about the manga (and what I wrote down in my previous post) was true, of course.

Without Spoilers: "I hope this doesn't go in the overly dramatic direction". I'll end up frustrated whenever there's even a slight indication that there's an antagonist.
With Spoilers: "I hope the series handles its antagonist well".
Jul 10, 2019 7:22 PM

Oct 2013
@Tenderizer17 , seems fine, haha.

Edit, 13.07.2019: Tsukasa appeared in episode 2, which means rather early. It's good if you ask me.
AdnashJul 13, 2019 10:02 AM
Oct 4, 2019 2:40 PM
Jun 2016
Update added, in case anyone wants to check their answers against the marking rubric.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

150 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 7, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2019

196 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 6, 6:28 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

486 by Luban1 »»
Mar 18, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Dec 13, 2019

335 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

161 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.