Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 25, 2019 10:16 PM

Feb 2019
I know I know, Kirisuna is the backbone to SAO to many people, but personally, I have never really cared for it. I like a lot of romantic suspense and drama and I prefer there to be competition with other women going down to the very end. Very similar to Tate No Yuusha. Realistically, from a literary perspective, it would be horrible writing at this point for Reki to break Kirisuna up or have them go separate ways, so I know it won't happen, just my preference.

Anyway, going into the whole Alice v Asuna thing, I just really find Alice to be a lot more interesting than Asuna in both the LN and the anime. How dignified and graceful she is, her commitment to justice and protecting the realm, it really resonated with me. Also, she's gorgeous and best waifu, so there's that. Anyone else think along those lines?
Jun 25, 2019 10:20 PM

Jan 2009
i prefer Sinon more (but for seductiveness then Quinella)

but between the 2 listed on this thread then ye Alice is better hopefully she will get a biological body in the real world
degJun 25, 2019 10:37 PM
Jun 25, 2019 10:36 PM

Feb 2019
deg said:
i prefer Sinon more

but between the 2 listed on this thread then ye Alice is better hopefully she will get a biological body in the real world

sinon's up there too for me, tbh anyone over Asuna.
Jun 25, 2019 10:41 PM
Sep 2017
I know she is quite unpopular in the anime community, but I love Asuna( she is much better in the source material compare to the anime counterpart). This my personal opinion, but I dislike Sinon/Alice, that include the fanboy(no offense).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2019 10:41 PM

Nov 2011
I prefer Alice by a whole lot. Asuna's character is reduced to Kirito's lover and nothing else honestly.

Jun 25, 2019 11:02 PM

Feb 2019
WaterCooler said:
I prefer Alice by a whole lot. Asuna's character is reduced to Kirito's lover and nothing else honestly.

I'm glad I'm not alone with this. r/swordartonline loves her so much tho. Any type of disagreement gets downvoted lol.
Jun 25, 2019 11:03 PM

Feb 2019
weeabootakbankai said:
I know she is quite unpopular in the anime community, but I love Asuna( she is much better in the source material compare to the anime counterpart). This my personal opinion, but I dislike Sinon/Alice, that include the fanboy(no offense).

so, you dislike people because they like another character? yikes. And, actually, it seems Asuna and Kirisuna is extremely popular.
Jun 25, 2019 11:15 PM
Sep 2017
Superns18 said:
weeabootakbankai said:

so, you dislike people because they like another character? yikes. And, actually, it seems Asuna and Kirisuna is extremely popular.

From what I'm seeing on this site alone , there a strong stigma against Kirito/Asuna( such as having no personality).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2019 11:27 PM

Feb 2019
weeabootakbankai said:
Superns18 said:

From what I'm seeing on this site alone , there a strong stigma against Kirito/Asuna( such as having no personality).

Answer to the first question ?
Jun 25, 2019 11:32 PM
Sep 2017
Superns18 said:
weeabootakbankai said:

I was answering your second question( where Kirisuna being popular)
Jun 25, 2019 11:35 PM

Feb 2019
weeabootakbankai said:
Superns18 said:

I know, I'm asking your answer to the first.
Jun 25, 2019 11:40 PM
Sep 2017
Superns18 said:
weeabootakbankai said:

To answer your first question, I respect your opinion. I'm just tired of people downplaying Asuna quality in the series. She is much better handled in the source material( I know this may sound like me being a LN purist).
Jun 26, 2019 12:00 AM

Feb 2019
weeabootakbankai said:
Superns18 said:

To answer your first question, I respect your opinion. I'm just tired of people downplaying Asuna quality in the series. She is much better handled in the source material( I know this may sound like me being a LN purist).

There we go, and I respect your opinion, but obviously even having read the LN’s, as I mentioned in the OP, I disagree.
Jun 26, 2019 3:40 AM

Apr 2016
i like Alice but I prefer Asuna. Kirito and Asuna had a journey together, so i can’t imagine anything else then Kirito and Asuna together. I think that for appreciate at the best Asuna read the novel is the best idea. Asuna and Alice are both great character, especially in the novel, but I think they has different role in the series and they has a difference message, especislly becouse Alice is an IA, but i don’t want to do spoiler. In conclusion, I prefer Asuna, she is one of my few favourite characters, one of the few characters for which I really care.
I’m sorry for eventually errors in my english.
Jun 26, 2019 3:45 AM

Jul 2016
i prefer Sinon more to be honest
Jun 26, 2019 4:54 AM
Feb 2017
deg said:
i prefer Sinon more (but for seductiveness then Quinella)

I see you're a man of culture as well.
Jun 26, 2019 8:08 AM

Feb 2019
Optigisa said:

A lot of people do, so you are not alone
Jun 26, 2019 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
Alice is just SAO's version of Saber.

Asuna's personality is a perfect mix of kindness and assertiviness. She has enough action scenes to be a certified badass. She devolops from a scared girl to a empowered leader. And has a beautiful coming-of-age which is the Mother's Rosario. Her romance with Kirito and her friendship with Yuuki are legendary. Her designs on Aincrad, Progressive, 2nd Part of Alicization and Hollow Realization are beyond perfect. Haruka Tomatsu and Cherami Leigh both made an awesome work voicing her. Her leitmotif/themes Luminous Sword/Light Your Sword are epic and managed to express through music her strenght, beauty and grace. I know she has a fair share of detractors but the goods of her easily outweights her bads. And she's the common denominator of SAO's best arcs and most disliked ones are the ones in which she's barelly present or misused.

To me SAO girls ranking goes like this:
Asuna> Yuuki > Alice > Sinon > Suguha > The Rest > Liz and Silica.

She wins over any SAO girl in any contest be it KLNGS, ISML, Newtype, Charapedia and many more. Best Girl for sure!
Jun 26, 2019 11:02 AM

Feb 2019
Nick-Knight said:

Asuna's personality is a perfect mix of kindness and assertiviness. She has enough action scenes to be a certified badass. She devolops from a scared girl to a empowered leader. And has a beautiful coming-of-age which is the Mother's Rosario. Her romance with Kirito and her friendship with Yuuki are legendary. Her designs on Aincrad, Progressive, 2nd Part of Alicization and Hollow Realization are beyond perfect. Haruka Tomatsu and Cherami Leigh both made an awesome work voicing her. Her leitmotif/themes Luminous Sword/Light Your Sword are epic and managed to express through music her strenght, beauty and grace. I know she has a fair share of detractors but the goods of her easily outweights her bads. And she's the common denominator of SAO's best arcs and most disliked ones are the ones in which she's barelly present or misused.

She wins over any SAO girl in any contest be it KLNGS, ISML, Newtype, Charapedia and many more. Best Girl for sure!

Couldn’t disagree more. Asuna is as generic an anime character as possible. But I respect your opinion.
Jun 26, 2019 12:08 PM

Jul 2016
Superns18 said:
Nick-Knight said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Asuna is as generic an anime character as possible. But I respect your opinion.

Asuna is generic? If you read SAO:Progressive for 1 volume you can't begin to explain her complexity. You can't even categorize her in a stereotype, how in the hell she's generic? And don't even start with the Mary Sue stuff cuz she's obviously not perfect. I could see a person that only watched the anime say that, but if that's not the case...

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jun 26, 2019 12:16 PM

Jul 2016
Superns18 said:
WaterCooler said:

I'm glad I'm not alone with this. r/swordartonline loves her so much tho. Any type of disagreement gets downvoted lol.

If only you were there in the 2013... Every fucking picture was Sinon's ass. It was cuz of the novels(specially Progressive) that the community changed a lot.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jun 26, 2019 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
Superns18 said:
Nick-Knight said:

Care to elaborate why?
Also I wrote a review about SAO/Asuna which greatly disproves your 'generic' claims in detail:
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=283887
Jun 26, 2019 12:29 PM

Feb 2019
DooMWhite said:
Superns18 said:

Asuna is generic? If you read SAO:Progressive for 1 volume you can't begin to explain her complexity. You can't even categorize her in a stereotype, how in the hell she's generic? And don't even start with the Mary Sue stuff cuz she's obviously not perfect. I could see a person that only watched the anime say that, but if that's not the case...

Yes. She is generic. Point to where I said she was a Mary Sue? Her skill is well explained in the LN’s and Anime.
Jun 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Feb 2019
Nick-Knight said:
Superns18 said:

Care to elaborate why?
Also I wrote a review about SAO/Asuna which greatly disproves your 'generic' claims in detail:

Sure, cba reading your article. She has no exceptional qualities other than being Kirito’s lover. Her personality and character is reduced to that. Even in Alicization, her only motivation is saving kirito and getting jealous of his harem. She’s a generic, bland and uninteresting character. But, she’s cute.
Jun 26, 2019 12:31 PM

Feb 2019
DooMWhite said:
Superns18 said:

If only you were there in the 2013... Every fucking picture was Sinon's ass. It was cuz of the novels(specially Progressive) that the community changed a lot.

Damn I missed the golden age.
Jun 26, 2019 1:03 PM

Jul 2016
Superns18 said:
DooMWhite said:

Yes. She is generic. Point to where I said she was a Mary Sue? Her skill is well explained in the LN’s and Anime.

Point to where I said you said she was a Mary Sue.... Can't ya read?

Jun 26, 2019 2:21 PM

Feb 2019
DooMWhite said:
Superns18 said:

Point to where I said you said she was a Mary Sue.... Can't ya read?

>Don’t even start with the Mary Sue stuff.
Jun 27, 2019 12:24 AM

Feb 2019
DooMWhite said:
Superns18 said:

Yea, because you don’t like what I’m saying so I must be trolling. Usual internet for you. You don’t agree with me=troll. No, some people just have different preferences. Funny how you’re the only one getting offended after 10 other replies. If you like Asuna, cool, this post wasn’t really for you. It’s for those who agree with my titular post.

Nah, it was cuz you weren't giving any arguments whatever and just denying stuff without any fact or logic, with exclusively your opinion, you were trying to create more and more discussions without any care for the outcome. Also, everything you said about Alice at the first post, Asuna has as well.

There's not really an argument to give. The point of the post was my question about if anyone else liked Alice over Asuna. I gave my reasons for feeling that way in my post. If you like Asuna better, that's cool, either way doesn't pay my bills fam. As for you saying "everything Alice has, Asuna has as well." I disagree. Now you'll probably want me to write a thesis on why I disagree and to cite my sources, right? I simply did not get an emotional response nor feel moved by any of her character development and growth over the course of the series. If anything, she regresses from a badass independent female to someone whose only defining traits are her love for Kirito and her desire to stay by his side. Again, if you don't feel that way, that's FINE. That's what I got out of reading and watching the series play out. I simply find Alice to be better written, have better motivations and have more room for character growth. Her character is not defined solely by her crush on Kirito. I'm not here to, nor do I want to change your mind. You do you, I'll do me.

Also for reference, denying opinions with opinions is not trolling. If you say you prefer strawberries to vanilla ice cream, and I say I prefer Vanilla, there's not a need for an in detail discussion on why. I just do. It tastes better to me and I like it more than strawberries. Neither side is wrong. Just a tip.
Marinate1016Jun 27, 2019 12:28 AM
Jun 27, 2019 4:22 PM

Jul 2016
Superns18 said:
Optigisa said:

Yeah, Sinon is amazing my dude.
Jun 28, 2019 9:26 PM

Feb 2019
Optigisa said:
Superns18 said:

Yeah, Sinon is amazing my dude.

can't wait to see her get more time in alicization
Dec 16, 2019 10:29 PM

May 2010
Alice has depth. Asuna is just the first girl, that's it. If we swap Alice and Asuna's position, you would get very supportive answers for Alice.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 17, 2019 5:42 AM
Feb 2017
Asuna doesn’t help the show, her only positive to it was in Rosario arc.
Dec 17, 2019 7:05 AM
Jul 2016
Personally, I never liked Asuna very much. To me she seems more a secondary character than a main character.

I even don't care the ship with Kirito, but as single character I like Alice more.
Jan 20, 2020 5:36 PM

Oct 2008
I prefer Alice Synthesis Thirty over Alice Zuberg and Asuna Yuuki. Reason is simple although I'm not sure I think Alice Synthesis Thirty likes Kirito, which is what I care about. While Alice Zuberg likes Eugeo which I don't care at all about. As for Asuna, I got tired of her after so long. The only cool thing about her is that I saw her with a photon sword and her nickname "berserk healer".
Feb 2, 2020 3:13 AM

Mar 2009
I think Asuna has improved a lot as a character, personally. Mother's Rosario was certainly a high point for her, and I'm hoping she has a bigger role in War of the Underworld. I do prefer Sinon and Alice to her, but a lot of the problems with Asuna's characterization is she's put into, uhh...unsavory situations. As we all know, though, the same happened to Sinon. It's annoying how the series falls back on certain tropes in order to make the female characters damsels in distress. Hope it stops.
MormegilFeb 2, 2020 3:25 AM
Feb 16, 2020 9:47 AM
Jun 2019
Marinate1016 said:
Nick-Knight said:

Care to elaborate why?

Sure, cba reading your article. She has no exceptional qualities other than being Kirito’s lover. Her personality and character is reduced to that. Even in Alicization, her only motivation is saving kirito and getting jealous of his harem. She’s a generic, bland and uninteresting character. But, she’s cute.

Dude don't say that, she's definitely not generic. Not trying to change your opinion or anything, but what's wrong with being defined by a relationship? Her strong relationship with Kirito shouldn't be downplayed because it is a huge positive for her. Being completely faithful to someone and being their reason to live is a really admirable aspect imo, one that separates her from other girls. The kind of impact she had on Kirito, Yuuki and the rest of the cast also adds so much to her character. Anyway, I can see that you don't prefer her, which is fine, you do you. But I don't think that she's generic in any way.
Jan 2, 3:47 AM

Jul 2012
If compare to Alice..
I think Asuna is better..

But if compare to Shion it is another answer..

Jan 15, 6:42 AM
Oct 2020
Alice is not only my favorite SAO character, she is my best waifu, it doesn't matter if Asuna is more popular, my choice and love goes for Alice
Feb 5, 2:17 PM
Oct 2020
I like Asuna, but my heart Is of Alice 💙
Feb 5, 2:21 PM
Oct 2020
Reply to ApacheSnow69
@ApacheSnow69 you don't worry, it is only a toxic comment by a toxic fan, no offense😌
Feb 17, 12:32 PM

Jun 2021
Alice is fcking SHIT. Her dick is bigger than everything. Hide that thing dude!
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Feb 25, 11:06 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Marinate1016
weeabootakbankai said:
Superns18 said:

@Marinate1016 Alice best waifu all life
Feb 25, 11:09 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Marinate1016
weeabootakbankai said:

@Marinate1016 Asuna is Unpopolar? What?Her fandom is toxic, when a utent on reddit write to prefer Alice receive down votes.
Feb 25, 11:10 AM

Feb 2019
DiamSilver said:
@Marinate1016 Asuna is Unpopolar? What?Her fandom is toxic, when a utent on reddit write to prefer Alice receive down votes.

Post is 5 years old 😩
Feb 25, 11:13 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to ApacheSnow69
Superns18 said:
weeabootakbankai said:

@ApacheSnow69 I know the charm of Asuna, but Alice is my Dream waifu
Mar 11, 1:52 PM
Oct 2021
Yes I agree and disagree kirito and asuna was the main story that originally made me fall in love with sao but… when Alice is introduced she beats the SHIT out of kirito in that duel and that’s when I got a anime drawing character crush as a 14 year old little boy and I could not be anymore happy… ngl tho I feel so bad for Alice when she first meets kirito on the outside of the tower she was so embarrassed and flustered and obviously got the feels for kirito but she has no clue he’s married because he looks 16-17? But he’s actually not even from this world and kirito sees her as a robot but she protects him after he gets coma fied and she falls in love just to meet Asuna and have her world fall apart. No I don’t think they should break up Asuna and kirito but I always wind up feeling so bad for Alice in this show. Also yes she’s number 1 waifu
Mar 24, 11:32 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Alice best grill. Asuna is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

Feb 2019
BigBoyAdvance said:
Alice best grill. Asuna is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

You know ball, keep preaching

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

127 by Adr332 »»
Jan 19, 5:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.