Forum Settings
Forums

What's been your favourite album so far this year?

New
Jun 13, 2019 12:46 AM

Jan 2019
There's been plenty of good albums so far this year, what have you been enjoying so far?

I think the album I've listened to the most this year has been PUP - Morbid Stuff.

_HohoMar 9, 2020 4:25 PM
Jun 13, 2019 7:15 AM

Apr 2013
So far my favorite record from this year has been The Novembers' Angels. It's nice to see a Noisy Shoegaze Japanese band move onto a different playing field of genres (and that being a lot of genres) and it ending up as good/even better than their traditional work. Sadly the album has fallen off with the RYM Community as time has passed meanwhile other releases get overhyped to heck yet they simply can't beat Angels for me. Close To Me from the record is a gud tune fam, probs my fave song of this year.

Also I have a list comprising of other 2019 records I thought highly of (it will change as we progress further into 2019)

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Aidoru_Ojisan/2019-so-far/

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 13, 2019 7:35 AM

Jan 2019
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
So far my favorite record from this year has been The Novembers' Angels. It's nice to see a Noisy Shoegaze Japanese band move onto a different playing field of genres (and that being a lot of genres) and it ending up as good/even better than their traditional work. Sadly the album has fallen off with the RYM Community as time has passed meanwhile other releases get overhyped to heck yet they simply can't beat Angels for me. Close To Me from the record is a gud tune fam, probs my fave song of this year.

I've been meaning to listen to that album, I caught the first track and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll give it another listen soon.

If you're into noise rock and shoegaze, have you heard Elizabeth Colour Wheel - Nocebo?

It came out early this year, similar to Angels it's kind of been quickly forgotten by RYM. I'm not sure how I forgot about it when I first made this post but it's quite possibly my favourite album this year so far. Excellent dark, heavy and anxious-sounding noise rock with these odd nasally female vocals that I can't get enough of. 23 off this album is amazing.
_HohoJun 13, 2019 7:38 AM
Jun 13, 2019 7:43 AM

Apr 2013
@HohoVFX
Oof that overall rating shows me that RYM has kind have been turning its head on it but remembering how Angels used to be a 3.6 and now fell to a 3.3 I can't really trust RYM's taste anymore for this year's releases kek. Anyways yeah I'll check it out since Noisy Shoegaze that has a weighty sound is always a nice listen for me. There's another album similar to its genre field with a female vocalist (it's just more drony and atmospheric)

https://bigbravesl.bandcamp.com/album/a-gaze-among-them

it's pretty great, worth the time and it's their first release by them that I ended up giving a 4. Funnily enough despite some albums from this year going beyond the 1k of all time ratings on the RYM charts I have had no 4.5 from this year so far. Lol hype culture is scary sometimes seeing as how time passes some of these records fall off and return to more resonable rankings.
Aidoru-OjisanJun 13, 2019 7:59 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 13, 2019 8:00 AM

Jan 2019
It had a 3.6 or something pretty good for the first 100 or so ratings but inevitably fell off. But yeah like you said rym's taste can be pretty fucking lame. Also I definitely feel you on not really loving anything yet this year. There's been some stuff I've enjoyed but nothing that's really excited me. feelsbadman.
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
I can't really trust RYM's taste anymore for this year's releases kek.

bUt IgOr AoTy xd

Jun 13, 2019 8:23 AM

Apr 2013
HohoVFX said:
It had a 3.6 or something pretty good for the first 100 or so ratings but inevitably fell off. But yeah like you said rym's taste can be pretty fucking lame. Also I definitely feel you on not really loving anything yet this year. There's been some stuff I've enjoyed but nothing that's really excited me. feelsbadman.
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
I can't really trust RYM's taste anymore for this year's releases kek.

bUt IgOr AoTy xd

Well at least Igor is a record that I can see to why people love it so much, I ended up giving it a strong 7 cause I liked Tyler more in his Blooming state on Flower Boy but otherwise least I can nod at it compred to when that random collection by Jai Paul and Weyes Blood was at first awhile back lol. Still

*insert Fantano positive reviews are the reason why releases get so hyped scored on RYM meme here*

kek

Ascended Taste
Jun 13, 2019 5:46 PM

Jan 2019
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Well at least Igor is a record that I can see to why people love it so much, I ended up giving it a strong 7 cause I liked Tyler more in his Blooming state on Flower Boy but otherwise least I can nod at it compred to when that random collection by Jai Paul and Weyes Blood was at first awhile back lol.

Yeah I feel similarly about Igor I just find the circlejerk around it annoying. I don't really care for the Jai Paul compilation either but I see why the context behind it makes it significant to people. I'm disappointed to see Everywhere At The End of Time slowly losing it's very high score though because I really think it deserves it. It's not a project that I plan on going back to any time soon but I can't think of much other music that is as powerful and haunting in the way that EATEOT is.
Jun 14, 2019 12:03 AM

Aug 2015
i'm still waiting for a good dream pop album this year
Jun 14, 2019 4:58 AM

Jan 2016
Tie between Devin Townsend's Empath and Rammstein's latest.
Jun 15, 2019 11:24 AM

Dec 2018
[Favorite]

Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion is thus far looking to be the metal release of the year. A phenomenal record from a band that wouldn't release new material for over 30+ years.

[Most Hated]

Bad Religion - Age of Unreason. Painfully dreadful, one-dimensional political drivel married to weakly constructed punk rock tunes. Where previous efforts from this aging band eventually grew on me, this one just seems to get worse and worse with repeated listen.
Jun 16, 2019 2:04 PM

Nov 2016
Definitely 'When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light' by Swallow The Sun. A very very close second is 'Panihida' by Batushka (Derph's one, to be precise). Both are stellar albums, and it'll be tough to beat them. Let's see.
Jun 16, 2019 2:20 PM
Sep 2016
I think the only 2019 record I've listened to is Children of Bodom's Hexed, but it's a real banger for sure
Jun 16, 2019 8:52 PM

Dec 2012
Eh, it's only few weeks away from hitting 2019, but I would most definitely say this album has hit me right in the spot, or rather, this track in particular;

https://baojiaxiang.bandcamp.com/track/the-recurrence-of-infections

I have listened to a lot of albums this year and it's hard to narrow it all down to one, but this one stood out the most for me thus far and possibly will remain an all-time favorite of mine.

Michael Begg's "Vanitas", Francisco López & Miguel A. García's "Ekkert Nafn", Meitei's "Komachi", Tape Loop Orchestra's "Interiors One", S280F's "ALL DOGS GO TO HELL /1 ​​​ه҈҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉҉ه", Felix Kubin's "Max Brand Studie IV / Topia", irr.app.(ext)'s "A Transfigured System" are some honorable mentions for THIS year.
Taedium_VitaeJun 17, 2019 3:29 PM
It's gotten to the point where existence itself has become nothing but a meme; an existence that I want nothing to do with anymore.
Jun 19, 2019 9:49 AM

Nov 2013
Widow's Weeds by Silversun Pickups is my favorite new album this year. Though it's only June so we'll see if that holds through the year.
Jun 19, 2019 9:53 AM

Dec 2014
Bring Me the Horizon - amo
They're trying a different style in this album and it's great
Jun 19, 2019 9:59 AM

Oct 2014
Definitely UnderTheWillowTree by Bones. He brings out some real emotion this album.

Jun 19, 2019 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
Escape from New York by Beast Coast
Jun 19, 2019 3:13 PM

Nov 2017
U.F.O.F - Big Thief
IGOR - Tyler, the Creator
Morbid Stuff - Pup
WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? - Billie Eilish

thats about all i can name that i've enjoyed this year. now that i think about it 2018 had a lot more good albums dropping, this year seems pretty lame, i wonder whats up with that.
Jun 20, 2019 5:00 AM

May 2018
My favorite albums so far have been "Doom Days" by Bastille, that came out a couple of days ago, "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" by Logic and "Adeus, Aurora" by Supercombo, a brazilian rock band.
Jun 20, 2019 7:15 AM

Jan 2019
carseatheadrest said:
U.F.O.F - Big Thief
IGOR - Tyler, the Creator
Morbid Stuff - Pup
WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? - Billie Eilish

thats about all i can name that i've enjoyed this year. now that i think about it 2018 had a lot more good albums dropping, this year seems pretty lame, i wonder whats up with that.

All those are pretty good, especially morbid stuff. I wouldn't say that this year is much different to previous years in terms of good music though, we're only halfway through anyway and most of the massively hyped albums usually release later in the year. Maybe you just need to look a bit deeper.
Jun 20, 2019 1:34 PM

Feb 2018
Die a Legend - Polo G

Pretty lacklustre year so far tbh but die a legend slaps really hard especially considering its his first album
Jun 20, 2019 9:37 PM

Jan 2019
Just want to add to this thread that the new black midi album, Schlagenheim, is fantastic.
Jun 20, 2019 9:54 PM

Jun 2012
Artificial Selection by Dance Gavin Dance. I was lucky enough to see them in concert shortly after the album dropped so I got to hear a lot of my favorites live.
Jun 21, 2019 6:31 PM
Jul 2017
If I’m going of replayability it’d be Igor. The production on the album just blows everything else I’ve listened to (from this year) out of the water, and I learn something new every time. Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood is up there too, with ‘Something to Believe’ and ‘Everyday’ the highlights.

ZUU bangs, only a couple tracks (AUTOMATIC and SHAKE 88) put me off
Jun 23, 2019 6:29 PM

Nov 2017
Tyler, The Creator's Igor. I've been listening to it every day since it was released. Heck, I'm listening to it whilst I'm typing this post. Golly, this album is so beautiful. I'm crying 'cause I hope I can make music as splendid as he did. I am nothing but inspired

Jul 4, 2019 3:01 PM
Mar 2019
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR

Probably already my favorite album of this year
Jul 4, 2019 3:07 PM

May 2009
ATEliERVAKIAN said:
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR

Probably already my favorite album of this year

I'm glad that more people are coming to appreciate the Hip Hop culture more.

Tyler's IGOR
Jay Prince's "Wonder" EP
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib's "Bandana"
Denzel Curry's "ZUU"
James Blake's "Assume for"
Solange's "When I get home"
Duckwrth's "THE FALLING MAN" EP

These come in mind for me first
Jul 4, 2019 5:24 PM

Feb 2018
i can't choose between these:

sleepless in __________ - epik high
case study 01 - daniel caesar
igor - tyler, the creator
when we all fall asleep, where do we go? - billie eilish

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

26 by 707supremacist »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

11 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
6 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
6 hours ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - 9 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.