Forum Settings
Forums

How much does lazy exposition effect your viewing experience?

New
May 31, 2019 3:18 PM
May 2019
Im just curious really. I notice it in fair few anime and just wanted to see how you guys feel about it. To me if the anime is good and engaging then it doesn't bother me too much, i notice it buts its not a deal breaker if im enjoying the show. Then again sometimes i do wish the creators would find more inventive ways to show exposition, just so its not too obvious. I think that can help the flow of the show better. Buts its not a huge problem for me but i am curious how other feel about this.
May 31, 2019 3:22 PM

May 2009
I don't have something against exposition via words itself, though it depends on the execution.

However I'd much rather characters not pause the action just to deliver exposition (or other explanations/dialogue/etc.) when it doesn't make sense for the action to pause.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 31, 2019 3:23 PM

Jan 2009
give examples since anime adaptations usually tend to copy 1:1 the exposition of the source material or they shorten and simplify the long exposition of the source material, while if its an original anime they can do a "show do not tell" approach more
May 31, 2019 3:55 PM
May 2019
deg said:
give examples since anime adaptations usually tend to copy 1:1 the exposition of the source material or they shorten and simplify the long exposition of the source material, while if its an original anime they can do a "show do not tell" approach more

One recent example i feel is the series "Megalo Box" i enjoy the show but for it does suffer from forced exposition, maybe because the pace of the show is so quick but the dialogue and exposition does not feel natural to me. I know its a sports anime too and that is common but i still feel its hurts the show.
May 31, 2019 3:57 PM
May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I don't have something against exposition via words itself, though it depends on the execution.

However I'd much rather characters not pause the action just to deliver exposition (or other explanations/dialogue/etc.) when it doesn't make sense for the action to pause.

Fair fair, yeah thats makes sense, i agree with you. I think when its random and doesn't make sense and also hinders the flow of a scene then its annoying, but if they do it right and smoothly lol then i have no issue.
May 31, 2019 3:58 PM

Sep 2014
unless it's totally overdone like a 8-10 min cafe talk (SAO, lol), then I don't give a shit. it doesn't matter.
Jun 4, 2019 11:47 PM

Apr 2015
Exposition doesn't really bother me. Most shows don't usually do it throughout all the episodes.

In one particular arc, near the end of the show, Hunter X Hunter goes heavy with the exposition. For almost every episode, within a 20 or so episode stretch, there would be an omniscient narrator who have minutes and minutes of exposition. I remember that there were a number of viewers who thought, this cumbersome, but I did not. Perhaps I didn't find it jarring since I had expected heavy exposition from reading the corresponding chapters. In addition to the omniscient narrator, I really liked hearing internal exposition from the characters. I love how they're analyzing their current situation and making decisions based on their limited bank of information.
Jun 4, 2019 11:59 PM

Nov 2009
I'm the sort of person who likes learning new things. No amount of exposition bothers me, as long as exposition makes enough sense.
Jun 5, 2019 1:20 AM

Jul 2013
Lol funnily enough, my favorite episode from Log Horizon was a whole ass exposition. The whole episode was a huge info dump on HP, mana, etc. and I was not bothered by it in the slightest. I love learning new information especially if its a worldbuilding type of anime like LH.
Jun 5, 2019 1:27 AM

Mar 2019
I dislike expeditionary dialogs where the characters discuss matters for the sake of the audience that feels highly unnatural for them to discuss.

At that point either displaying it with informational cards on screen or just having a dedicated narrator works better.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 5, 2019 3:22 AM

Sep 2017
Exposition is all about how you do it. It's not good writing if you're simply giving the information directly. The problem with lazy exposition is not just that the writer is being lazy, but also that it is dumbing down the material to make for a lazy viewing - all the information is presented transparently so that you don't have do any interpretation for yourself, at the expense of unnecessarily diluting the density of the show.

Often it is not just about explaining frictional setting. Anime can often get really bad when they try to make everything crystal clear by using dialogue/monologue. For example, some show would make a whole scene to establish the fact that these two characters are siblings when we can already see that from a few lines of dialogue they spoke to each other.

In fact real life conservational dialogue contains incredibly dense information. When frictional dialogue fails to be as dense, it feels dull and boring. If any one want to see an analysis of how massive information can be delivered through succinct words, read Stephen Levinson's Presumptive Meanings or Pragmatics. Linguistic is a great thing.
Jun 5, 2019 3:35 AM

May 2019
It might bother me for a moment but for the most part I wouldn't care... unless it really REALLY doesn't fit in and/or kills the tension in a situation. Like when two people are fighting and they start reminiscing and about their childhood. Can't you go do this at another time when your life isn't in LITERAL DANGER?
Jun 5, 2019 8:33 AM

Oct 2017
Not nearly as much as lazy critique affects my experience of the community.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 5, 2019 11:11 AM

Feb 2010
it usually just makes me chuckle, I don't particularly enjoy bad exposition but I'm also not really bothered by it. I just laugh it off. It's pretty much one of those things that will only impact my enjoyment positively if done well, and if it isn't it just doesn't add any enjoyment but also doesn't take any away.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

8 by piyowizfoot »»
1 minute ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 37 minutes ago

5 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

17 by Catalano »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

18 by TeBaTe »»
10 minutes ago

» Cutest Shoujo Main Protagonist

lucaspatrick - Jan 8

49 by 707supremacist »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.