Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2019 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Looks like this is the final chapter of the series. An amusing way to conclude the manga with some of the witty dialogues imo.
Aug 12, 2021 4:48 AM

Apr 2017
Everything coming together.

Satomi's "extra 10 years" wish threw me off at first. If I'm getting it right:

Moire the alien cat was saved by 11-year-old Satomi while crossing the street, leaving her in a coma. I think this accident wasn't deliberately caused by Moire, and Moire wanted to thank her by rescuing her soul.

While she's in a coma in the hospital, Satomi's consciousness turns into Queen Satomi after meeting the top hat-wearing tsuchinoko and making a wish to have the world destroyed. The tsuchinoko spawns the comet Melancholia and causes the extreme changes in climate (the heatwave and the blizzard). Queen Satomi spends 8 months in the coma while Moire and their alien buddy try to find ways to destroy Melancholia.

At the end of the 8 months, Queen Satomi finds out the truth about her family from Hitman 86 and decides to destroy the comet herself, and presumably passes away (in chapter 23, her doctor notes that her condition is worsening).

In chapter 26, Moire obtains the experimental wand described to separate people's souls from their bodies, and turns back time to 8 months prior. Without the tsuchinoko to intervene, the traffic accident leads to Satomi dying on the pavement instead of going to the hospital.

And this is where chapter 1 picks up, with Satomi believing that she was in her room (not remembering the accident) with Moire as a regular cat. Moire separates Satomi's soul from her body (the point where Satomi notes that she can't hear the sirens anymore — they were probably the ambulance sirens) and takes her soul with them.

Other events? Before Satomi's accident, Satomi's sister makes a contract with Hitman 86 to have her biological mother assassinated. After the sister dies, Hitman 86 kills her mother and Satomi is put up for adoption (note how in chapter 25, after the accident happens, Satomi's adoptive mother is crying that they "could finally adopt [Satomi]").

Why 8 months? During the last cycle, after Kid Nap fails to stop the comet, the aliens turn back time to 8 months prior to when the comet first appears.
Pande91Aug 12, 2021 5:26 AM
Aug 30, 2021 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
hmm, im not sure i understand.

quite a unique experience
Dec 5, 2021 3:01 PM
Apr 2018
This manga had a confusing ending. Chapter 1 seems to take place after ch 26 as the cat has the wand in chapter 1 already. Still, ch1 isn't the direct continuation of ch6 as the girl just learn that the cat can talk and she seems to be 21 years old then. She says that she wants to live another 10 years and goes outside to do good things. And the story doesn't connect to anything after that. Basically, it seemed to be another cycle and the story didn't start yet. I may be wrong as I am not sure.
Feb 20, 1:14 AM

May 2020
I'm not going to pretend like I understood everything that happened but Pande91's explanation seems pretty satisfactory to me. It'll probably take a few re-reads to fully understand the whole story from start to finish.

Still, I enjoyed it for what it was. I enjoyed how all the seemingly unconnected shorts were interconnected parts of a much larger whole.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Melancholia Chapter 1 Discussion

xull - Jan 24, 2017

2 by justwinkle »»
May 8, 2023 2:28 PM

Poll: » Melancholia Chapter 2 Discussion

xull - Jan 24, 2017

2 by Koda_kola »»
Feb 23, 2023 3:16 AM

Poll: » Melancholia Chapter 10 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 30, 2021

0 by removed-user »»
Aug 30, 2021 12:21 AM

» This is very underrated

aspectre - Mar 14, 2021

15 by removed-user »»
Aug 21, 2021 7:08 PM

Poll: » Melancholia Chapter 19 Discussion

Klad - Nov 22, 2018

4 by St0rmblade »»
Aug 13, 2021 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.