Forum Settings
Forums

Kidou Senshi Gundam: The Origin - Zenya Akai Suisei

Mar 20, 6:12 PM
A 13-episode anime television recompilation of the OVA series will start broadcasting on April 29, 2019

http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/tv/index.html

Jul 10, 11:50 AM
Any update on this?

Jul 11, 11:29 AM

A few months ago one of the mods rejected this entry because it's just a recut of the OVAs, never mind that Gundam Unicorn: Re 0096 is also just a recut of the Gundam Unicorn OVAs yet is approved as its own entry in the DB. As somebody pointed out in another thread, the "Zenya Akai Suisei" version is airing on American cable TV on Toonami complete with the subtitle. If that isn't enough to validate this as its own entry then I don't know what is. Any mods reading this care to respond one way or the other?

Jul 11, 4:32 PM

I'd rather it not included here in mal, lol

Jul 11, 4:34 PM

I've also been wondering why this doesn't have a page.
Summary movies/ovas get added to the database, but a full tv recut with new music and animation doesn't?

Jul 14, 3:37 AM

If Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 got approved, then this should get approved too. This is getting ridiculous.

Jul 14, 8:30 AM

maybe one day mal will get consistent

hope it gets added soon

Jul 14, 12:53 PM

@hyosun @DemiFiendRSA @AtmosphericEntry @pirotux @DarkShame2

It seems like none of the moderators are patrolling these threads enough to take notice, so we may have to reach out to them ourselves. I think if everyone here that cares about having this entry approved sends a message to each of the moderators in charge of the database we'll have a much better chance of having something done about it. Here is the list of all the anime database moderators.

I think the main points we should try to mention when contacting them are:

• Other recuts have been in the database like Unicorn Re:0096
  • The recut version is currently airing on the Japanese NHK-General and American Cartoon Network channels
  • Some footage has been cut from the OVAs--i.e. it is not identical to the original

Any thoughts on what to mention in these messages? It would probably be rude to blow up their inboxes with a bunch of messages all at once, but I think if everyone sent these messages at different times throughout the coming week it would show that a lot of people really care about it.

Jul 16, 9:52 AM
MrLegitimacy said:

It seems like none of the moderators are patrolling these threads enough to take notice, so we may have to reach out to them ourselves. I think if everyone here that cares about having this entry approved sends a message to each of the moderators in charge of the database we'll have a much better chance of having something done about it. Here is the list of all the anime database moderators.

• The recut version is currently airing on the Japanese NHK-General and American Cartoon Network channels
  • Some footage has been cut from the OVAs--i.e. it is not identical to the original

Any thoughts on what to mention in these messages? It would probably be rude to blow up their inboxes with a bunch of messages all at once, but I think if everyone sent these messages at different times throughout the coming week it would show that a lot of people really care about it.

I preferred to import my list to anilist, as they have it over there.
Just waiting for the account deletion now ;) (requested 4 days ago, still waiting even for an account deletion)

Jul 16, 5:18 PM

pirotux said:

I preferred to import my list to anilist, as they have it over there.
Just waiting for the account deletion now ;) (requested 4 days ago, still waiting even for an account deletion)

Wow, sorry to see you go, but this should definitely be some scathing evidence to the mods that they need to approve this entry if we have people leaving for a competitor's platform.

Jul 16, 7:09 PM

MrLegitimacy said:

There are only really (2) active AnimeDB mods from that list. They are both aware of this entry submission, and no matter how much you ask or how many people you request spam them with private messages, the entry is not going to be approved.

Unicorn 0096 is allowed because there is new/reanimated content. That's noted in the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Unicorn

The fact that the rebroadcast is 'currently airing' on a Japaneses station is null and void because its a rebroadcast with no new content/reanimation.

The fact that the rebroadcast is 'currently airing' on an American station...has zero merit or relevance.

The key part is not that it is "not identical" to the original OVAs; its that it has no new content/reanimation. Just because they cut out bits and pieces from the OVAs to where it doesn't make the OVA and this current rebroadcast uniformly identical doesn't mean that it becomes eligible for approval. It has to have new content/reanimation - which to this point, it has not and therefore is not eligible.

The bottom of this post ( https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1510673&show=3450&fbclid=IwAR2JG6fQbBhuQgb87yU1eJfGB3LqU65JQ-FUZCuaUhY69WVpzDHaT0W1alk#msg56924918 ) - #3460 in the thread - further explains this entry submissions' reason for denial.

You shouldn't assume that the mods are unaware/not "patrolling" the forums enough to take notice. The *only* two active AnimeDB mods that are still around have had to address this same entry numerous times already, and are working hard to keep flow of the Anime DB alive and not become stagnant (like the Manga DB approvals did for the longest time).

As for @pirotux, you're welcome to go wherever you want. You're not a prisoner here in MAL. [Your (1) friend and (3) forum posts will be dearly missed].

MrLegitmacy, that's hardly "scathing evidence" of anything. People leave everyday, people come every day. Every time an issue like this arises, there's a little group of people that get mad and blame that issue and threaten their departure or actually depart. It happens almost every time something like this comes up. Life goes on. MAL continues on.
Modified by J_LEE_C, Jul 16, 7:15 PM

Jul 17, 5:22 AM

It is unfortunate that the TV version of Gundam the Origin hasn't been added to MAL. I even looked around on other anime websites, like AnimePlanet, and they had the series on their database.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin-advent-of-the-red-comet

If other sites can have the TV version added, I don't see why MAL can't do the same.

Jul 18, 10:28 AM

@J_LEE_C

First, thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. I appreciate the realistic viewpoint on the issue, but I don't think I'm ready to stop trying. My only thought on the things you mentioned are in regards to the new content present in RE: 0096 but not Eve of the Red Comet.

I know it has been reported that there is new animation in the TV version of Unicorn, but I have never been able to find a record of what episode(s) it occurs in or what scenes were animated for it. If you happen to know that information I would be very grateful to know so I can finally witness these scenes myself.

Aside from these reanimated scenes, the only new content for RE: 0096 are the opening and ending songs, and if they really count all that much, the episode recaps. From the very first episode of Eve of the Red Comet there have been original opening and ending sequences. The openings are largely or entirely created from spliced together episode footage, but the ending sequences (Especially the second one) are all new content.

It all makes me wonder exactly how much new content is required before something warrants its own entry.

Jul 18, 6:52 PM

MrLegitimacy said:
@J_LEE_C

First, thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. I appreciate the realistic viewpoint on the issue, but I don't think I'm ready to stop trying. My only thought on the things you mentioned are in regards to the new content present in RE: 0096 but not Eve of the Red Comet.

I know it has been reported that there is new animation in the TV version of Unicorn, but I have never been able to find a record of what episode(s) it occurs in or what scenes were animated for it. If you happen to know that information I would be very grateful to know so I can finally witness these scenes myself.

Aside from these reanimated scenes, the only new content for RE: 0096 are the opening and ending songs, and if they really count all that much, the episode recaps. From the very first episode of Eve of the Red Comet there have been original opening and ending sequences. The openings are largely or entirely created from spliced together episode footage, but the ending sequences (Especially the second one) are all new content.

It all makes me wonder exactly how much new content is required before something warrants its own entry.

You are free to keep trying. I would just caution to perhaps be considerate to the very few remaining DB mods we have that actually are actively working on the backlog & queue for us, rather than trying to rally people to flood their DM's with the same request. I can assure you, they are aware of the entry and the numerous times its been requested to be added/complained about. They don't get paid to be mods and they have real lives outside of MAL as well; it really cuts down on the time they have to work on other DB entries that need to be addressed when they have to address the exact same one a bunch of times from different people.

As for 0096; I'm simply quoting the sources - I have not seen it nor have I seen a majority of the Gundam franchise (yet). However, I know how the MAL guidelines work and I know specifically the background details of this entry after hours of talking to mods and foremost database contributors.

AFAIK - there is no universal "set" amount of new content requirements specified.

Jul 24, 8:10 PM

Re0096 got it's own entry while just being gundam unicorn re-released into a tv format. The tv version of origin is likely the same, other gundams with alternate releases have their own entries.

Also origin's relation with 0079 should be prequel not alternate version as it is now.

Aug 7, 5:13 PM

Aug 10, 1:57 PM

27_Seconds said:
It is unfortunate that the TV version of Gundam the Origin hasn't been added to MAL. I even looked around on other anime websites, like AnimePlanet, and they had the series on their database.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/mobile-suit-gundam-the-origin-advent-of-the-red-comet

If other sites can have the TV version added, I don't see why MAL can't do the same.

every other database/list site i know of has it added

but mal has to be an inconsistent snowflake i guess

Aug 10, 8:37 PM

Wish mods would reply to this topic

Aug 11, 12:38 PM

Oh boy, this makes no sense at all

Aug 11, 6:19 PM
They added like 18 seconds of new animation of Char at the end, will it be added now? lol

Aug 14, 2:40 PM