Forum Settings
Forums

Am I the only one who doesn't like reading chapters as they come out?

New
Feb 20, 2019 8:42 PM

Jul 2014
I find it to be less enjoyable honestly.

On the other hand I think that waiting for complete volumes is much better. A lot more anticipation and it really gives you time to breath. The wait for the next one is sometimes always agonising.
Feb 21, 2019 2:51 AM

Feb 2019
I hate to be spoiled so I read everything as soon as I can.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 21, 2019 4:34 AM

Oct 2012
I dont mind reading weekly as soon as chapters come out because i barely have time binge so yeet.
"Who knows."
Feb 21, 2019 7:14 AM

Feb 2019
There's only two series where I'm reading the individual chapters, and those are Grand Blue Dreaming and Domestic Girlfriend, but the only reason I read individual chapters from those two is because Kodansha has this business practice of mass-releasing a series, stopping at a random volume, then just trickling out the chapters from then on.
Feb 21, 2019 9:18 PM
Mar 2016
Speeny said:
I find it to be less enjoyable honestly.

On the other hand I think that waiting for complete volumes is much better. A lot more anticipation and it really gives you time to breath. The wait for the next one is sometimes always agonising.

I love to binge read manga, but it is the never the same after i get up to date.
Feb 21, 2019 9:18 PM

Mar 2017
I agree. I prefer waiting for the volume release. More wait but more substance too. I'd forget everything if I read weekly or monthly. But with volumes it's rather easy to skim and refresh your memory. Plus a lot of times there are short summaries of what happened before. And in the case of Akira a 3 page documentation of the entire series lol
Feb 22, 2019 5:39 PM

Jul 2014
N30-R3TR0 said:
I agree. I prefer waiting for the volume release. More wait but more substance too. I'd forget everything if I read weekly or monthly. But with volumes it's rather easy to skim and refresh your memory. Plus a lot of times there are short summaries of what happened before. And in the case of Akira a 3 page documentation of the entire series lol
Exactly. I just find it’s a lot more satisfying reading the volumes. Because reading chapters weekly I tend to forget for some reason. You’d think it’d be the other way around. Lol
Feb 22, 2019 6:04 PM

Aug 2016
I'm really bad at keeping up with publishing stuff and usually leaver them on hold once I catch up or wait for a ton of chapters to be published (around 10 to 50) before I hop back into the story. Only exception I can think of is Berserk because of how slow it publishes lol. In most cases, I tend to read series that have been completed since they're less of a hassle to deal with.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2019 11:33 AM

Jun 2014
Same here. I generally won't touch something if it's still "ongoing."

Thankfully, the majority of what I read is old, and has been completed long ago.

Feb 23, 2019 12:17 PM

Feb 2015
We're many.
I read some ongoings when I started reading manga(One Piece for many years, Kingdom and berserk later), and I realized that reading ongoings is a drag.

I just can't keep my hype up between the weeks, nor bear the wait anymore. It actually negatively impacts my enjoyment reading the thing. Which is a shame, as there're many ongoing I'd love to read. Thankfully, there're more than enough interesting finished manga for me to just suck it up(especially since I'm not always in a "reading phase").

For the ones I'm still keeping up with, I usually wait until the current arc(or more) finishes, pick it up again then, and repeat. Sometimes, I'll reread one, and it's both the greatest and the worst experience to re-experience said manga, binge tens of chapters a day, and suddenly come to a stop due to it not being finished.

So yeah, it's better for me to forget about those for a while, and come back to them every once in a while. Tbh, It's very likely that I end up rereading the ongoings I'm following once they're finished.
Feb 23, 2019 6:37 PM

Aug 2016
Great minds think alike y'all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2019 11:39 AM

Dec 2016
it's not ideal but man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, and it's preferable to waiting months till i can read the series again.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Mar 12, 2019 3:43 PM

Jan 2018
Only read a few manga but i'd probably just end up forgetting stuff. Sometimes when reading manga I have to go back to previous chapter(s) that I just read for clarity.
Mar 12, 2019 5:08 PM

Dec 2012
I prefer reading by volume personally, preferably physical books and completed series.
KruszerMar 12, 2019 5:24 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 12, 2019 6:02 PM

Apr 2018
I used to read chapters as soon as they came out, but now I kinda don't catch up with the manga even if there are more chapters published

It's as if all that waiting made it less enjoyable
Mar 13, 2019 5:00 AM

Dec 2012
When I started getting into manga I was reading some on-going manga, but I have the memory of a goldfish, so even waiting a week between chapters was too much for me. Especially awful when they suddenly reference a person or event from a previous arc which was like a year ago. It took the whole dynamic and enjoyment out of the manga for me. So at some point I put them all on hold and waited until they're finished (or am still waiting ;a;)

Nowadays I only read finished manga. More enjoyable and I can read it on my own pace (multiple chapters at once). I won't be able to join active speculations and discussion threads, but I can live with that (I often still read them afterwards). Running into spoilers might be the only issue, but fortunately that only happened to me once or twice with SNK. Other manga are usually not as vocal about spoilers or at least easier to avoid for me.
Mar 14, 2019 9:36 AM

May 2010
I have such a short-term memory that reading anything ongoing is just a drag for me. I can't keep up with ones that publish weekly, so would rather prefer for them to be complete than read a chapter at a time. I lose focus or interest in the story.

There is a few, very good mangas that are currently publishing that I love (here's looking at you in particular, Skip Beat), but stopped reading. I probably won't pick them back up until they are complete - whether that takes year or not is no difference. I'd rather be able to sit down and binge read an entire series than attempt to read the tiniest bit of content at a time just so I keep up. I have a lot of currently publishing manga in my Plan to Read section, and until I see it's completed that's where it will stay.

Mar 15, 2019 9:39 PM

Apr 2013
been following things weekly or monthly for years, the only thing that's a drag is when they're on break or very long hiatus. (Berserk, Hunter X Hunter)
I enjoy my weekly dose of One Piece and the other series I'm reading weekly or monthly.
Of course I enjoy binging things, that's why I love longer series, but series I love are still on going, and it doesn't make sense to not read them as soon as possible.
Mar 16, 2019 9:50 PM

Jun 2017
I don't mind it, but I generally prefer reading completed manga.
I let ongoing manga stack for a few months until I get back to it. I've found I enjoy them much much more that way.

Keeping up with 30+ ish ongoing while managing studies, work, family etc was taking a toll on me.
It was much easier to keep the weekly streak when I was in school surrounded by a few friend who I could chat with about the current stuff. Nothing beats having 3 new Kingdom chapters as the scanlations were catching up about 6 years back.
BatenKaitosMar 16, 2019 9:56 PM
Mar 16, 2019 10:00 PM
Dec 2011
I don't read chapters on release. Although if I do get spoiled I won't care either.

I prefer to wait for volumes to be published and then buy and read. I have enough things to occupy myself opposed to reading junk weekly.
Mar 23, 2019 4:48 PM

Apr 2017
for me, it depends on the series.

often in plot-driven manga, specifically with romance or sports, i have a tough time reading as they come out. on the other hand, a lot of battle manga have me excited for the next chapter each week/month, and the discussions that come along with it are enjoyable as well.
Mar 23, 2019 8:53 PM

Jan 2019
i prefer binging manga because its hard to get into otherwise tbh
i dont read that much, and there are very few manga where i enjoy reading regularly, and those are limited to TPN and SNK
Mar 23, 2019 9:26 PM

Feb 2019
same as you.i prefer when it complete a volume.but i'm okey with reading chapter if i don't have any other things to do
Mar 23, 2019 10:51 PM

Aug 2018
I just find reading one chapter a week very disorienting. You'd be surprised how different of an impact a story has when you consume it in its entirety: everything clicks, and you never have those confusing moments where you're not able to recall what x-san said 50 chapters ago to y-kun in a teeny tiny speech balloon obscured by an inundating action-packed frame fest
Mar 24, 2019 1:21 AM

Apr 2017
I catch up volume by volume. I kind of get lost when I'm reading weekly and I won't get into it as much so I prefer reading mangas in one go or by volumes.
Mar 24, 2019 7:13 PM

May 2012
^ This

Even though I have no issues reading quite a few series chapter-wise. Mostly those that aren't published in either French (ok, we got almost everything of note and beyond here...), English, or German.
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N ๐Ÿค

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Mar 25, 2019 12:26 AM

Jan 2019
No. I share your sentiment.
Reading by Volume is the best imo its hard to get into the Story otherwise.
Although i prefer binging.

More topics from this board

» How many of the top 50 manga on MAL have you read?

Mr_Libra - Yesterday

11 by Euroqean »»
50 minutes ago

» What is the hentai manga you've "used" the most?

Shizuna - Feb 5

13 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - May 8

11 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

31 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - Yesterday

4 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
9 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.