Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 10, 2019 6:32 AM

Aug 2017
A few questions:

1) Can I get Persona 4 on the Playstation 3? I think i can in my country, but I'm just checking.

2) Does it still hold up today? I know it's not the newest game, so is it still fun to play?

3) How does it compare to Persona 5? I played Persona 5 last year and loved it, but i hear the saying 'your first persona game is your favourite' so I'm wondering whether I'll enjoy it still.

4) If you don't think I should play it, is the anime worth watching? If it's anything like P5A, it'll be rubbish...

thanks for your answers! uwu
Feb 10, 2019 6:59 AM

Jul 2009
1) Nope, Persona 4 is only on the PS2. However, there's an updated version called Persona 4: Golden on the Vita. Golden expands upon the story, has more Persona, improved mechanics, better graphics, and one new character. If you have neither consoles, your best bet would be to emulate the game on your PC.

2) Yeah definitely! Persona 3 and 4 have unique mechanics that still hold up today on top of their classic turn-based systems. Their stories, characters, and soundtrack rival that of most modern JRPGs.

The first two games, however... not so much.

3) Persona 5 certainly has superior gameplay and graphics, but the rest is arguable. I know plenty of people who prefer the fourth game for its story and characters. Personally, I think 5 has a better plot while 4 has a more memorable cast.

4) The P4 adaptation is better than the P5 adaptation but not by much. Playing the game is the definite choice.
Feb 10, 2019 7:03 AM
Oct 2018
it isn't as good as persona 5 in my opinion anyway but you should still play it its alot of fun
Feb 10, 2019 7:52 AM

Aug 2017
Feb 10, 2019 7:56 AM

Jul 2014
Moe_Blob said:
Skittles said:
1) Nope, Persona 4 is only on the PS2.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/shin-megami-tensei-persona-4-ps3/

is this not what i think it is then?

It depends which region you live in iirc. I live in South Africa and the game isn't on the PSN over here.
Take care of yourself

Feb 10, 2019 8:51 AM

Aug 2009
1. Yes, you can get the game digitally via PSN, depending on where you live apparently.

2. Yes.

3. Both are great.

4. Play the game before watching the anime. But if you're gonna watch anything regardless, watch the original adaptation, not Golden.

Feb 10, 2019 11:05 PM

Feb 2016
4 is anime, the game, basically. I felt like 5 had better pacing, 4 tends to get bogged down in its own story often. The game itself is pretty good, it just tends to really drag out the cutscenes. 3 is a little more balanced and tbh I thought it had better characters.
i watch anime
Feb 12, 2019 2:05 AM

Feb 2015
Yes, P3 and P4 are worth playing nowdays

BTW I Recomend playing in Emulator and do Quick Saves, the game has a "moderatly" Difficulty, so having these saves gonna save you a lot of headcaches and replaying.
Feb 12, 2019 3:47 PM

Aug 2018
Persona 4 is my fav game so I may be a bit biased lol, but yeah you should definitely play it. (Like somebody mentioned above if you can grab the updated Golden version on the Vita, even better)

If you loved P5 you'll be very familiar with P4. The cast of characters is what makes the game amazing imo, I loved 3/5 as well but something about 4 makes the characters feel like true best friends. The soundtrack as usual is super and gameplay/mechanics is still fun even if P5 expanded on the formula by no means does that make P4's any less fun.
Feb 14, 2019 8:19 AM

Apr 2018
1- yes, you can! although I played it on a ps2 emulator on my pc
2- it holds up extremely well! it is my favorite video game of all time!
3- persona 5 is definitely more "modern". persona 4 has ps2 graphics, last gen physics, ect. but I fell in love with the characters of persona 4 more than the ones in persona 5, which is why I like it more! both games are still great though
4- anime is kinda trashy... so don't watch it!
Feb 14, 2019 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
Person 5 visually was great and had a few awesome characters, but the overall story was a snooze fest for me. Out of Persona 3 and 4 I personally thought 3 was way better. Both are still worth playing though. I agree with skipping the anime.
Feb 15, 2019 9:09 AM

Jan 2018
I like both Persona 4 and 5 and i am thinking about playing Persona 4 on PS2 since i own console, but i don't have an controller so i need to purchase one.

P4 and P5 have an such an unique story and special mascots, like P4 having Kuma and P5 having Morgana, who, despite being an mascot character, is still an fighter and the player can controll it. :)

Even Morgana is voiced by Ikue Otani, the voice of Pikachu!!!

(sorry for my poor English)
Mar 19, 2019 1:15 PM

Apr 2018
Persona 4 is better in every way possible but graphics and some aspects of the gameplay
Mar 24, 2019 5:24 PM
Oct 2013
I guess the only thing I like about Persona 5 over 4 is that it's more modern and therefore has a bit more in the way of creature comforts in the game. But in saying that I think the P4 story is better than P5, I love the darker story of it comparatively. Haven't finished either yet but mostly just cause real life has been busy, but I've been meaning to restart my P4 save and do that again to get back into it
Apr 4, 2019 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
1) There is no P4 on the PS3, only P4A, just get a PSVIta and then play P4: Golden.

2) It still lives up to being the most popular RPG in the market. Why do you think P4: Golden got released?

3) Never played P5, so make the comparisons yourself and draw your own conclusions.

4) Just play the game, good luck and have fun.
Apr 6, 2019 2:11 AM

Mar 2017
Persona 4 is fun, and like the previous comment said, has a very memorable cast. The gameplay holds up to today and it gives you tons of hours of gameplay, so i suggest you should play it. All Persona games have a really good story and depth in terms of gameplay.

Persona 5 itself is fun and playing it feels like playing both P3 and P4 combined. You don't need to play both P3 and P4 to play it though.

The anime is not as bad as P5, but the catch is that there's english dub there. Always fun watching P4A with the original english dub (Aside from Troy Baker, he's too expensive to continue upwards of 8 episodes lol).
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 9, 2019 8:50 AM
May 2009
Moe_Blob said:
A few questions:

1) Can I get Persona 4 on the Playstation 3? I think i can in my country, but I'm just checking.

From what I remember Persona 4 was only on the PS2, unless they released it on the digital store. Or your PS3 can play PS2 discs which if I remember correctly none of the PS3 had the capability.

2) Does it still hold up today? I know it's not the newest game, so is it still fun to play?

Yes, Persona is more about the story and characters, and alot of the talking is voiced and you usually have stills and text for the talks. The graphics are dated but i find there is a charm to it. The music is also something I enjoyed

3) How does it compare to Persona 5? I played Persona 5 last year and loved it, but i hear the saying 'your first persona game is your favourite' so I'm wondering whether I'll enjoy it still.

It depends on the setting, Persona 3 was really dark through and through, even with the some upbeat parts, Persona 4 in general was more upbeat, could be something to do with the music or because of the setting being in the countryside.

Persona 4 Golden on the Vita is Persona 4 but with a new character and ending.

4) If you don't think I should play it, is the anime worth watching? If it's anything like P5A, it'll be rubbish...

I liked the Persona 4 anime along with the golden iteration, but it skips alot, its good if you want to reminisce without having to play the game again, but overall I would say it similar to P5 in anime terms.

Persona 3 anime movies are good though.

thanks for your answers! uwu

My answer is in the quote a new line under your question.
Oct 20, 2020 9:49 AM

Feb 2020
i'm a massive danganronpa fan, but i don't have a console so i just watched the gameplays (and the anime). and the anime isn't the best way to start as they cut a lot of stuff out and it goes kinda fast.
i'm currently watching a p5 gameplay, and i know that the anime is kinda mediocre (probably still gonna watch it tho)

but, i wanna get into the other persona games as well but if it's as long as p5 i might just watch the anime
is it as bad as the adaptations of p5 or dr, or can i just watch p4 tv series, and possibly the p3 movies, and still be immersed in the story and get into the fandom?
Oct 29, 2020 9:44 PM
Dec 2017
ps3 fat model you can play it on since its backwards compatable it still does in many aspects as you can see the kind of gameplay it has on persona 5.

Oct 30, 2020 3:25 AM
May 2009
PS4 Golden is probably the better version to play due to the new character and extra level.
Oct 30, 2020 4:41 AM
Jul 2020
Yes, play it. It will get you past any regrets lol.
Oct 30, 2020 4:43 AM

Jun 2015
You can easily emulate it through PCSX2. Persona 2 is my personal favorite though.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Nov 7, 2020 9:04 AM

Apr 2019
haydenluvsanime said:
You can easily emulate it through PCSX2. Persona 2 is my personal favorite though.
As much as i love the persona 2 duology, the gameplay is so fucking bad, it makes me burn my left nutsack.

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.