Forum Settings
Forums

"If you do not like it do not watch it" argument.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Jul 2016
I'd say it's more of, "if you don't like this type of show (let's just say genre to make it easier), you probably shouldn't watch it. Not that I've watched ti yet, but take for example the Asterisk War. Most, if not all the negative reviews are probably from people who hate battle school harems, anyway. I'm not saying that the anime is of some absolutely amazing quality just because a lot of haters already hate the genre, but sometimes, you do need to know a bit more of what you like and what you don't

If I did that and didn't just watch certain shows to see why I'd hate them, I would've saved a bit of time and a couple bad experiences, but I suppose is also good to know why you don't like something, as long as that's not what drives you to watch most shows.

Jan 15, 2019 8:46 PM
Jun 2015
Here's why that argument is bullshit and is nothing more than deflection away from the reality that the thing is usually not good in some way and want to deflect criticism

Have watched only a little bit or not the entire thing, "How can you make that judgement call when you only seen one(or maybe three or six) episodes?"

Have watched more episodes(say three or six) to be able, "Don't like it don't watch it then."

Roger Ebert was one of the greatest cinematic mind of all time and treated animation both Western and Asian as serious high art and went the extra mile and critiqued it alongside it's cinematic contemporaries in terms of the quality or the works. Compare that to the amount of people on here, YouTube, Crunchyroll, and several other sites who do EVERYTHING they can to deflect even slightest criticism of their show.
Jan 15, 2019 9:14 PM
Jan 2012
It's like the "why are you criticizing the show if you can't make something better?" argument in that it's totally dumb and doesn't defend these shows at all.

It's like the entire argument breaks down when you consider there's actually reasons for some people to watch shows they don't like. I didn't like School Days, I still watched it so I could join the discussion about it. I don't like what I've seen of Sword Art Online, but I'll finish it one day so I can properly convey my thoughts about the show. Just because a show sucks, doesn't mean the discussion afterwards will, and I like thinking about things critically.

Seriously, to everyone that says "Don't like it? Don't watch it", my question is "Why"? Why shouldn't I do that? Watching a show you don't like isn't always a waste of time. Don't try to avoid people's criticisms for a show you like, that's moronic. People are allowed to criticize and hate whatever they want, just because you don't think it makes sense doesn't mean it really doesn't.

trashie said:
its a completely valid argument. Instead of bitching about how bad an anime you watched 12+ episodes of is you should be able to tell that you're not going to enjoy it at 3 eps at the most. If you can't tell this it's a lapse in your own judgement, not the fault of the anime. If you don't understand why this is true, you're likely young or on the spectrum.

It really isn't. Why are you trying to tell people they shouldn't criticize a show just because they don't like it? If I know a show is bad even from episode 3, am I barred from ever watching it? Only people that like a show are allowed to watch it? You're not even taking into account not all anime are actually predictable when it comes to quality, there are quite a few anime that are good for the first 10 episodes then completely shit the bed at the end.
OnionKnightRisesJan 15, 2019 9:17 PM
Jan 16, 2019 1:37 AM

Jul 2013
It's a pretty sound argument if you actually have a life.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 16, 2019 4:44 AM

Dec 2015
They are prevalent everywhere. The only reason you notice it in anime is because you communicate with anime fans. I've seen and made the same excuses for literature, music and movies. Hell, they're probably even prevalent in fashion.
Jan 16, 2019 4:48 AM

Feb 2018
It can just be a polite suggestion, but at times it's simply being used to deflect criticism.
But how is "if you don't like it, don't watch it" an argument ?
Jan 16, 2019 5:36 AM

Oct 2013
There's also the :

I want to make that personal achievment... I need to stop watching everything and throw them in the drop list when I don't have the time to watch it, my droplist is too big now aaaaah
Jan 16, 2019 5:43 AM

Apr 2018
Ok... Since so many people seems not to get it, lemme break it down for u.

Sit down and ready yourself cause what I'm gonna say may shock u:

Not every anime is for everybody

ikr, mindblowing isn't it?

But hold up, we're not even getting started yet. But, before we go on, take a short break, I don't believe u can handle it all in one shot and I'm really concerned about your health.
Have u calmed down? Great! Let's keep going with an even more shocking truth:

Anime are not meant to be for everybody

Did u make it this far with no heart attack? Nice, I'm proud of you.
So what does all of this exactly mean?
Well, every anime got its own target audience it's trying to appeal to. If ur not in that specific targeted audience than THE ANIME IT'S NOT AT FAULT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.
To make a really simple example pretending to judge an anime who's not meant to appeal to u is like judging a toaster by its ability to make bricks.
This might look a little extreme to u but I think it fits the contest perfectly. If you use the wrong scale to misure it, everything turns bad. It's the anime itself which sets its own goals, u can't call it bad for not reaching standards it wasn't supposed to meet in the first place.
U don't like the typical wish-fulfilment protagonist because his characterization it's not realistic enough for your standard? YOUR BAD for looking for a realistic characterization in a wish-fulfilment type of anime. That anime is meant to be judge on how good he fulfils the wish of its watcher.
U don't like moe girls? Why the fuck are u watching a moe show then?

People in the anime community need to grow the fuck up and understand the world isn't meant for them and them only

Damn, forgot to warn ya but that's quite the mind-blowing truth as well.

And that's it I guess, does the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" an argument makes a little more sense to u now?
Ugh, just a little clarification, I don't mean to say this is "the ultimate argument" and no critics can stand in its way, even arguments got their targeted arguments they're made to counter.
So this argument is a valid response as long as the person ur talking to misinterpret the anime goals/ tries to impose his own goals on the anime or it's not in the targeted audience meant to watch said anime, which happens quite often in this community if you ask me.
vhagar8Jan 16, 2019 5:46 AM
Jan 16, 2019 6:02 AM
Isekai Trash

Mar 2016
I think it’s just preference I would recommend someone give an anime a try before they judge it but if they don’t like it even after trying it you can’t really fault them. You can’t make people like everything you do. I also think it’s great that people dislike shows because it helps them find out exactly what they want from an anime. I don’t see anything wrong with letting them know about source material and/or it getting better but once you prioritize making them like it over them enjoying themselves then you’ve done it wrong.
Jan 16, 2019 8:36 AM

Sep 2017
vhagar8 said:

But hold up, we're not even getting started yet. But, before we go on, take a short break, I don't believe u can handle it all in one shot and I'm really concerned about your health.

Well, every anime got its own target audience it's trying to appeal to. If ur not in that specific targeted audience than THE ANIME IT'S NOT AT FAULT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.
To make a really simple example pretending to judge an anime who's not meant to appeal to u is like judging a toaster by its ability to make bricks.
This might look a little extreme to u but I think it fits the contest perfectly. If you use the wrong scale to misure it, everything turns bad. It's the anime itself which sets its own goals, u can't call it bad for not reaching standards it wasn't supposed to meet in the first place.
U don't like the typical wish-fulfilment protagonist because his characterization it's not realistic enough for your standard? YOUR BAD for looking for a realistic characterization in a wish-fulfilment type of anime. That anime is meant to be judge on how good he fulfils the wish of its watcher.

People in the anime community need to grow the fuck up and understand the world isn't meant for them and them only

And that's it I guess, does the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" an argument makes a little more sense to u now?
Ugh, just a little clarification, I don't mean to say this is "the ultimate argument" and no critics can stand in its way, even arguments got their targeted arguments they're made to counter.
So this argument is a valid response as long as the person ur talking to misinterpret the anime goals/ tries to impose his own goals on the anime or it's not in the targeted audience meant to watch said anime, which happens quite often in this community if you ask me.
dude I haven't laughed in a while, that was gold!

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Jan 16, 2019 2:31 PM
Jun 2015
vhagar8 said:

God this was so fucking badly written I couldn't even read it to parse out what you were trying to say beyond the usual BS of, "Not all anime is targeted at everyone" that every idiot uses to try and deflect criticism like people don't already fucking know this. Writing more words does not make you sound smarter. And turn on your fucking auto-correct and learn to write like a fucking adult already and stop using shitty God's when you don't need to.

Edit: Lol at your last point. That's some great advice you should that you don't exist in a nice cute little bubble where you're the only one inside and you'll only get to hear nice things about your show and not the reality that your candy floss has some flecks of shit on it.
doomrider7Jan 16, 2019 2:42 PM
Jan 16, 2019 4:16 PM

Apr 2018
doomrider7 said:
vhagar8 said:

God this was so fucking badly written I couldn't even read it to parse out what you were trying to say beyond the usual BS of, "Not all anime is targeted at everyone" that every idiot uses to try and deflect criticism like people don't already fucking know this. Writing more words does not make you sound smarter. And turn on your fucking auto-correct and learn to write like a fucking adult already and stop using shitty God's when you don't need to.

Edit: Lol at your last point. That's some great advice you should that you don't exist in a nice cute little bubble where you're the only one inside and you'll only get to hear nice things about your show and not the reality that your candy floss has some flecks of shit on it.

So, is that all? Am I to assume u agree with me if the only critic you were able to elaborate is about my grammar?

Btw I've never said I only one to hear nice thing about the "my show", I just said I'd rather not hear shitty arguments to criticize a show.

Well whatever, if u'll ever find a brain and learn how to use it feel free to call me out with some actual arguments.
Jan 16, 2019 4:43 PM

Aug 2016
I mean yeah you need to watch SOME of it to get a decent picture of it, especially if the show is known for having a slow start.

But if you've watched a good chunk of it and don't like it, you are pretty much just wasting your own time by continuing. What do you gain from completing it? You get to say you watched the show in an internet argument when you criticize it? You get to lower your mean score? Seems dumb.
Jan 16, 2019 5:28 PM
Jun 2015
vhagar8 said:
doomrider7 said:

So, is that all? Am I to assume u agree with me if the only critic you were able to elaborate is about my grammar?

Btw I've never said I only one to hear nice thing about the "my show", I just said I'd rather not hear shitty arguments to criticize a show.

Well whatever, if u'll ever find a brain and learn how to use it feel free to call me out with some actual arguments.

Like I said, your entire point from the bits I can actually read from...whatever it was you typed boils down to, "Not everything is catered to you so if it wasn't, you can't criticize it" which is such a HILARIOUSLY childish and juvenile thing to say much less actually believe. It's the kind of crap kids believe when they're still in MS and HS since most people grow out of it by the time they hit adulthood and accept that yeah, the thing they like will sometimes get punched and punched HARD because it's just not very good for various reasons, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. That's the point of maturing and growing up.
Jan 16, 2019 5:42 PM

May 2017
I'm someone who understands both sides of the argument "if u don't like it don't watch it". I happen to like watching bad things sometimes, especially when in wonderment of HOW and WHY it's so awful, but at the same time it's not always polite to express that feeling towards those who are enjoying it.
The retort "then don't watch it" has meaning to me because if someone is really HATING a show, just give it up. If they feel some sort of satisfaction at watching a train wreck, fine, but if it really takes away from their day, they really should just stop. Or atleast stop expressing it towards the people who like it lol

Let people like what they like, even if you think it sucks
The same goes for the people who hate shows, go ahead and hate them. Let's just be polite about it lol
Jan 16, 2019 5:48 PM

Dec 2012
MahoMaho88 said:
Smt people say to others when they do not "get" their fave anime.

If he doesn't watch it how can he know what he doesn't like then?

Well it makes more sense when you actually take the statement in the proper context that most people who say it mean, translation: "If you're already watching it and don't like it you can always just stop watching it". Seems unlikely someone would use it the way you're describing.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 16, 2019 5:54 PM

Dec 2018
MahoMaho88 said:
Smt people say to others when they do not "get" their fave anime.

If he doesn't watch it how can he know what he doesn't like then?

Other great ones before they give the title statement include: "It gets better later on", "You are watching it wrong", "Read the source to get the full picture", "It isn't supposed to be taken serious" etc.

Why are these so prevalent in the anime community whenever someone questions the value of a popular show? And why should someone not watch a show he doesn't like for the sake of it?

These are prevalent with almost EVERY form of entertainment. Welcome to the world dude. You're crazy if you think its just an anime thing
Souls will be saved, or mutinies waged as we plead for something to believe in
Jan 16, 2019 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
People seek for validation when it comes to their taste and if your opinion does not agree with most of the general public, neither are valid enough for people to understand why you don't like a show then be ready to receive backslash. Be wise with your words to avoid that.
Jan 16, 2019 6:00 PM

May 2015
There's literally nothing wrong with that statement.

Jan 17, 2019 1:50 AM

Apr 2018
doomrider7 said:
vhagar8 said:

Like I said, your entire point from the bits I can actually read from...whatever it was you typed boils down to, "Not everything is catered to you so if it wasn't, you can't criticize it" which is such a HILARIOUSLY childish and juvenile thing to say much less actually believe. It's the kind of crap kids believe when they're still in MS and HS since most people grow out of it by the time they hit adulthood and accept that yeah, the thing they like will sometimes get punched and punched HARD because it's just not very good for various reasons, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. That's the point of maturing and growing up.

So I guess u ignored the part where I asked you to get a brain before arguing back -_-
Anyway, your comment basically boils down to "if you can't take criticism, no matter how shitty or wrong it may be, you're a child"
Guess I'll be ok with being consider a child if that's what "child" means to u then.
Jan 17, 2019 2:00 AM

Mar 2016
I mean, personally I'm inclined to side with this statement as well. Why spend time complaining about a show you dislike when you could be enjoying other shows you actually like? What's the point in confronting a fan-base to complain about the thing they're a fan of? Of course they're gonna get mad because you don't like their thing. Most people get that way to a certain extent. Personally if I dislike a show I just move on to better things.
Jan 17, 2019 2:15 AM
Jun 2015
vhagar8 said:
doomrider7 said:

So I guess u ignored the part where I asked you to get a brain before arguing back -_-
Anyway, your comment basically boils down to "if you can't take criticism, no matter how shitty or wrong it may be, you're a child"
Guess I'll be ok with being consider a child if that's what "child" means to u then.

Ok then. What criticism are you talking about that's got you so triggered then that's shitty or wrong that's made you continue to parrot the same talking points like a broken record?
doomrider7Jan 17, 2019 2:20 AM
Jan 17, 2019 2:19 AM
Jun 2015
Rescue22 said:
I mean, personally I'm inclined to side with this statement as well. Why spend time complaining about a show you dislike when you could be enjoying other shows you actually like? What's the point in confronting a fan-base to complain about the thing they're a fan of? Of course they're gonna get mad because you don't like their thing. Most people get that way to a certain extent. Personally if I dislike a show I just move on to better things.

Part of serious critique involves watching things you may not enjoy all the time and some people enjoy the medium of anime enough to actually care about giving it it's due as an artistic medium and give serious criticisms to shows. This sometimes means watching some REALLY shitty shows for more than the usual 3 episode rule.
Jan 17, 2019 2:28 AM

Mar 2016
doomrider7 said:
Rescue22 said:

Part of serious critique involves watching things you may not enjoy all the time and some people enjoy the medium of anime enough to actually care about giving it it's due as an artistic medium and give serious criticisms to shows. This sometimes means watching some REALLY shitty shows for more than the usual 3 episode rule.

While I can understand that, I personally only do that on a touch-and-go basis. Some shows I can tolerate the awful plot if they're still visually appealing. Typically that's it.
Jan 17, 2019 2:31 AM

Jun 2015
This revolution of anti-criticism, or as I like to call it, the "consume, don't question the quality" syndrome is leading to some really dumb shit to climb among the top shows every year while actual good stuff gets pushed to obscurity. 2018's anime poster children were fucking embarassing. And with a community like that, no wonder people don't take anime seriously and find anime fans obnoxious.
ShadowMonkeyJan 17, 2019 2:43 AM
Jan 17, 2019 4:49 AM

Sep 2014
I never really understood the whole no drop mentality. I think it's important to give a show a fair chance, but if you're half through it and you've hated every minute of it along the way, why not drop it and spend that time watching something you actually enjoy instead? You see people continuing to tune in week after week for months just to complain every episode. It doesn't make sense to me.

It seems like a lot of people care more about inflating their lists and stats than they do just enjoying anime.
Jan 17, 2019 5:06 AM

Aug 2017
MrTripStack said:
I never really understood the whole no drop mentality. I think it's important to give a show a fair chance, but if you're half through it and you've hated every minute of it along the way, why not drop it and spend that time watching something you actually enjoy instead? You see people continuing to tune in week after week for months just to complain every episode. It doesn't make sense to me.

It seems like a lot of people care more about inflating their lists and stats than they do just enjoying anime.

Some ppl like me can enjoy watching bad shows. It's fun. Most of the trash shows that I watched are "So bad it's good". It's the same with good shows, they can have boring episodes or characters but in the end, I will finish it.

Rescue22 said:

If you don't insult the fan-base, they have no reason to attack you unless they're fanboys. I didn't like a supposedly emotional episode of an already forgotten popular anime from Winter 2018 and I was insulted by, at least, two of them. I'm glad that the reports in MAL are useful.
NurguburuJan 17, 2019 5:20 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 17, 2019 5:24 AM
Oct 2017
From my experience, this argument is only irritating when people use it against someone who's just expressing his distaste towards certain aspects of an anime. For example, someone says, "this character's voice is so kawaiii" and then someone else replies, "his/her voice makes me wanna drop this anime" then others may go against him and say things like "then drop it".

Just as people like sharing their fascination for something, they might also like sharing their dislike towards something. Going to every episode and leaving hate comments is immature, obviously, but hate comments should be tolerated to that certain degree when people just want to share their feelings with others who felt the same.
Jan 17, 2019 9:42 PM

Aug 2011
i just avoid genres that i dont watch/read cause i know its not my cup of tea and just consume genres i prefer
its the matter of what interests me personally

History, Sci-Fi, Mecha, Fantasy, Supernatural, Shoujo/Shounen etc. doesn't really interest me but i won't shit on them cause i have nothing against them

i dont actively hate on what people want to watch or read
i just see it as personal preference, subjectively speaking

i only look at something objectively if its still under the same genres i prefer to read/watch to see if they lived up to my expectation or not
i only start questioning the quality if its the genres i care about reading/watching
mnkxykJan 17, 2019 9:49 PM
Jan 19, 2019 3:12 AM

Sep 2017
I still don't get it when I see in some people's lists an anime being rated 1, 2 or 3 for all its seasons.

I think they can be four kinds of people :
- people who force themselves to watch it to tell others it's shit and to lower the mark
- people who pretend to have watched all the seasons but who actually stopped half-way
- people who have a strange rating system
- people who watched it a long time ago and who don't like it anymore.

In the end it just makes me laugh.
"Le monde n'est qu'un égout sans fond où les phoques les plus informes rampent et se tordent sur des montagnes de fange" (Alfred de Musset, On ne badine pas avec l'amour, 1834)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What makes you rewatch an anime

nishant0 - Apr 5

32 by Rinrinka »»
2 minutes ago

» Best black haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 25

61 by Hikinekomori »»
3 minutes ago

» Out of most favoured female characters in Myanimelist, which ones are waifubaits?

Sanjay63773 - Apr 5

19 by MogKnight »»
4 minutes ago

» Best purple haired girl?

Spunkert - Jan 29

43 by Hikinekomori »»
5 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 4

83 by tectacles »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.