Forum Settings
Forums

Recommend me a good Medieval/Adventure setting with a good story...

New
Dec 26, 2018 8:15 PM

Mar 2011
I just enjoy this setting so much that I don't really mind if it's a Romance focused Anime, with Isekai, Adventure, Action etc. If it is good, with a good story, art, or animation I will try to read/watch it.

Also, I don't mind if it's a Manga, Manhwa or even a Manhua. I will read almost anything if its fun. The only thing that is a little letdown is Novels without a single piece of art to picture what the author has in mind.

Anyways, thanks for the attention and recommendations.
Dec 26, 2018 10:22 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 26, 2018 10:37 PM
Feb 2014
You should definitely give Shoukoku no Altair a try, it's a great historical fantasy adventure anime, with a very likable and intelligent protagonist, lots of politics, strategy and war as well.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Dec 26, 2018 10:38 PM

Mar 2011
iamYuyaSakaki said:
Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine
Seems interesting, thanks.
Dec 26, 2018 10:40 PM

Mar 2011
Dauphine said:
You should definitely give Shoukoku no Altair a try, it's a great historical fantasy adventure anime, with a very likable and intelligent protagonist, lots of politics, strategy and war as well.

Just read the synopsis going to check it out later as well. Thanks.
Dec 26, 2018 10:43 PM
Feb 2014
I'm glad i could help! :)
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Dec 27, 2018 1:18 AM

Dec 2015
Ever watched Tenkû no Escaflowne (TV) ?

@XadowMonzter My bad (sorry for not checking the list beforehand, but it's a pain to load on 3DS)

The Lodoss novels are quite nice but they are simple heroic-fantasy fare for any nowaday reader, i imagine. Plus, only the first one is available in the USA -_- (well, we're not better with only 4out of 7 in France).
The Dame of Falis manga offers anothe extremely simple classical story but is a plesure for the eyes.
Rei_IIIDec 27, 2018 2:45 AM
Dec 27, 2018 2:30 AM

Mar 2011
Rei366 said:
Ever watched Tenkû no Escaflowne (TV) ?
Yes, the TV series and the Movie. TV Series is far better in my opinion. But, thanks anyways.
Dec 28, 2018 4:08 AM

May 2012
Asian
Juuni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms")
Seirei no Moribito
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin

Western
Shingeki no Bahamut
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

The first three have little romance. The others do.
Dec 28, 2018 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
SNK? :D

Ookami to Koushinryou is about merchant trading in medieval times. It's a really charming anime with a good storyline.
Don't read this! you are making me feel embarrassed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 28, 2018 10:46 AM

Mar 2011
Miauu said:

Ookami to Koushinryou is about merchant trading in medieval times. It's a really charming anime with a good storyline.

Shingeki no Bahamut I already watched. While I didn't like the characters that much the story is cool and animation has some awesome quality. Tried Akagami before, couldn't watch it.

The first 4, I will check out. Especially that Seirei no Moribito, because remembering now I believe someone said that one before that it was good.

Thanks.

Miauu said:

SNK obviously I watched. And also Okami to Koushinryou. Still waiting for the third season, years....

Thanks.
Dec 28, 2018 7:25 PM

Oct 2018
Arslan Senki
Kingdom
Tears to Tiara
Guin Saga
Dec 28, 2018 7:35 PM

Mar 2011
Raneday said:
Arslan Senki
Kingdom
Tears to Tiara
Guin Saga

Arslan Senki, still waiting for a new season.
Tears to Tiara watched like 3 times already, it's just amazing. Love it, and it's in my top best.
Guin Saga, watched when it was released, enjoyed but for some reason fell short from my expectations.

Kingdom, did try to watch at first and even though I'm not that much of an "animation" hater, the 3D sucks, it makes me overthink way too much about it and I lost interesting in the first few episodes. But, I heard the Manga is pretty good and I may give it a try later.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Dec 28, 2018 10:54 PM

Aug 2016
XadowMonzter said:
I just enjoy this setting so much that I don't really mind if it's a Romance focused Anime, with Isekai, Adventure, Action etc. If it is good, with a good story, art, or animation I will try to read/watch it.

Berserk is pretty good (the 90s one). I thought the movies weren't bad but there is 3D CG and some people hated how it left a lot of the story on the cutting room floor.

Slayers, Slayers Next, and Slayers Try. Imagine a high-level D&D campaign where the party is unapologetic about being murderhobos.

Record of Lodoss War OVA series is a classic but it is pretty straight-forward Tolkienesque high fantasy based on a tabletop RPG campaign. Rei366 mentioned the original source material. I didn't think the TV series (Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight) was all that great but you might like it.

Shadow Skill: Eigi is pretty decent. The other adaptations aren't as good but your mileage may vary.

The Tower of Druaga series is rather engaging. I didn't think it was fantastic but I thought it was worth a view.

I thought The Sacred Blacksmith, Granblue Fantasy, and Re:Zero were mediocre but you might like them.

Rei366 said:
Ever watched Tenkû no Escaflowne(TV)?

This. This should not be phrased as a question but as a command. Watch it. It's that good.
Dec 29, 2018 12:31 AM

Mar 2011
Fvlminatvs said:
Berserk is pretty good (the 90s one). I thought the movies weren't bad but there is 3D CG and some people hated how it left a lot of the story on the cutting room floor.

Slayers, Slayers Next, and Slayers Try. Imagine a high-level D&D campaign where the party is unapologetic about being murderhobos.

Record of Lodoss War OVA series is a classic but it is pretty straight-forward Tolkienesque high fantasy based on a tabletop RPG campaign. Rei366 mentioned the original source material. I didn't think the TV series (Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight) was all that great but you might like it.

Shadow Skill: Eigi is pretty decent. The other adaptations aren't as good but your mileage may vary.

The Tower of Druaga series is rather engaging. I didn't think it was fantastic but I thought it was worth a view.

I thought The Sacred Blacksmith, Granblue Fantasy, and Re:Zero were mediocre but you might like them.

This. This should not be phrased as a question but as a command. Watch it. It's that good.

I did watch Berserk, and I love the 90s one. It's even in my top10 best. The WB Movies were pretty nice because the 3D was very well made, especially the third movie with the "hell" scenes. Now the TV series, that was just plain horrible.

Slayers, I believe I checked it out once, but there was something about the characters that didn't appeal to me. Maybe I should give it a try again.

Record of Loddos is one that I have been told it's a very classic one indeed. And I will try it out.

I did watch Seiken no Blacksmith, it's fun, nothing more than that. Granblue Fantasy also watched, while I liked the story, the characters all felt short to me, in the end, nothing much. ReZero did watch it, while I liked the story the protagonist is fucking annoying as hell, hated him. Escaflowne I watched and enjoyed it pretty much, but the movie not so much, I just love that 90s animation art style.

Shadow Kill and Tower of Druaga never heard of those, will check them out.

Thanks for the tips.
Dec 30, 2018 5:43 AM
Dec 2018
Fvlminatvs said:
XadowMonzter said:

Rei366 said:
Ever watched Tenkû no Escaflowne(TV)?

Dec 30, 2018 6:21 AM

May 2012
I'll also suggest Angolmois about the 14th century Mongols assault on Tsushima island as a staging point for an invasion of the Japnese mainland.

More topics from this board

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

3 by Dariat »»
53 minutes ago

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 11 hours ago

7 by H_Castaigne »»
1 hour ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
5 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
5 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.