Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2018 7:38 AM

Mar 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sooo this whole series is a prologue right?
A very lazy, thoughtless prologue.
One with bad writing and characters as deep as a dry puddle.

My favorite part of the series was when the dog opened the car door by accident, ran into the hotel, somehow made it into the stair case, ran all the way up to the floor james was on and started body slamming the door. Or that time grim was surronded by cops and killed them all because of their incompetence. Actually it was that time where the "antagonist" turned out to be some random guy and just exploded.

Im actually thinking of watching this again and writing a book that just lists off every signle bad plot point, like sarah spilling coffee or opening a window, or when the assassins take over a power station to kill a guy thats outside, or when the mercenaries that were wearing nightvision googles in the dark were somehow inconvenienced by james blowing out the outside lights on the hotel belcony.

All in all, I was entertained at how bad the plot was, gave me some good lols and wtfs.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Dec 5, 2018 2:30 PM

Mar 2014
The thing i'd say I was most disappointed in with the series was the dub didn't use an actual english cast. A cast like that would have made this anime a million times better.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
Dec 5, 2018 5:17 PM
Dec 2015
zunderdog24 said:
The thing i'd say I was most disappointed in with the series was the dub didn't use an actual english cast. A cast like that would have made this anime a million times better.

It would be costly to hire British voice actors, hence why Americans love to imitate us *cough* Funimation *cough* lol

Truth is, there aren't many British voice actors who are interested in voicing Anime characters and there really isn't a demand for authentic British accents. A small percentage of British voice actors have done Ghibli films and other old school anime. The dub casting of Hero Mask was very good, considering the fact that this is a Netflix anime.

A bit of a bland start. The lazy animation got better as the episodes went on - but still you could tell they spent most of their effort/budget on the scenery. The scenery really caught my eye because it was immaculately detailed to the point where I can recognise many of the locations in London. They even included the Oyster card, Underground etc.

This anime lacked character development and the moment we were introduced to an interesting character, BOOM! they were either killed off early or had fewer screen time. I was really annoyed by the fact that it took ages for them to explain what in the heck the mask is. Crappy police system.

overall: 7/10
Dec 5, 2018 5:31 PM

Mar 2014
oryo said:

A bit of a bland start. The lazy animation got better as the episodes went on - but still you could tell they spent most of their effort/budget on the scenery. The scenery really caught my eye because it was immaculately detailed to the point where I can recognise many of the locations in London. They even included the Oyster card, Underground etc.

Ye, i'd say the background detail was pretty good. My only problem with the detail was that they didnt animate a proper pint in the bar scene, the glass was basically half empty. Probably the greatest tragedy in this anime (T^T).
Powered by yuri.
Dec 5, 2018 6:01 PM
Apr 2017
zunderdog24 said:
oryo said:

Ye, i'd say the background detail was pretty good. My only problem with the detail was that they didnt animate a proper pint in the bar scene, the glass was basically half empty. Probably the greatest tragedy in this anime (T^T).
The Sub was enjoyable enough to keep me glued to the screen. Which most shows fail to do.
Dec 5, 2018 6:26 PM

Mar 2014
I-Refute-Cute said:
The Sub was enjoyable enough to keep me glued to the screen. Which most shows fail to do.

That's interseting, I thought the japanese dub was pretty mediocre compared to the average anime and found the english version better (not necessarily good, but definitely better imo).
Powered by yuri.
Dec 5, 2018 6:49 PM
Apr 2017
[quote=zunderdog24]
I-Refute-Cute said:

That's interseting, I thought the japanese dub was pretty mediocre compared to the average anime and found the english version better (not necessarily good, but definitely better imo).[/quote Good for you enjoying it in English. I don't think i would have.
Dec 5, 2018 7:01 PM
Apr 2016
Hero mask wasn't perfect but i still found it to be rather good and enjoyable. Probably a 7/10 for me? heard there's going to be a season 2 as well so there's that.
Dec 6, 2018 6:58 AM

Apr 2014
ILoveDonuts said:
Hero mask wasn't perfect but i still found it to be rather good and enjoyable. Probably a 7/10 for me? heard there's going to be a season 2 as well so there's that.

Yeah this was listed as part 1 by Netflix so the sequel is already in the works.
Dec 7, 2018 11:22 AM
Jan 2018
The fact James Blood didn’t nail Sarah is the biggest disappointment...
Dec 7, 2018 11:47 AM

Mar 2014
OGAnime said:

No way, sarah is actually psychotic. Didn't your parents ever tell you not to stick yo dick in crazy.

Powered by yuri.
Dec 7, 2018 12:01 PM
Dec 2015
vitaminB said:
All in all, this was ridiculously stupid at times, but somehow still pretty cool and entertaining to watch. 10/10 for sheer enjoyment, idc. Another 10 for Harry's outfits. Another 10 just because Eddy exists.

Oof! Harry is absolute visuals! from the all black outfit to the way he held his weapon. I also loved the fact that he was all loving and sweet at home but was also a strong assassin. Get you a man who can do both! lol
Dec 7, 2018 12:07 PM
Jan 2018
zunderdog24 said:
OGAnime said:

No way, sarah is actually psychotic. Didn't your parents ever tell you not to stick yo dick in crazy.

But...his name is James *Blood/Bond*, it’s his job to put dick in crazy
Dec 20, 2018 1:56 AM

Nov 2010
...the ending feel so bland..At least that Martland died.I'm not putting much hope in this anime but the actions scenes pretty good to me. I think some episodes pretty good too. My favourite episode is episode 6 ,the one about Theo Lowe. Last few episodes just ok to me.

Overall I think it's pretty good but I it could be better. 7/10 fron me. James and Harry are damn OP. Love Eddy so much.

The outfits are damn good in these. From the watches , shoes,jackets, hoodies etc.. I really love James red jacket!

Z4k said:
ILoveDonuts said:

Yeah this was listed as part 1 by Netflix so the sequel is already in the works.

Oh good to hear this. I really feel it's incomplete. I'll looking forward to the next season.
sefferia_ellisDec 20, 2018 2:12 AM
Dec 21, 2018 3:03 AM
Dec 2018
Z4k said:
ILoveDonuts said:

Glad to hear about this. I loved the series to bits but it needs a sequel badly so this is great news to me
Dec 25, 2018 2:55 AM
Oct 2016
vitaminB said:
All in all, this was ridiculously stupid at times, but somehow still pretty cool and entertaining to watch. 10/10 for sheer enjoyment, idc. Another 10 for Harry's outfits. Another 10 just because Eddy exists.

"Another 10 for Harry's outfits. Another 10 just because Eddy exists." AGREED.
Dec 25, 2018 6:49 AM

Sep 2015
15 episode to get nowhere and barely start the main story, they cold have told this same story with much less episodes. Also, I can't see this as anime in any kind of way, seems just an average Hollywood animation.
Dec 27, 2018 2:15 PM
Apr 2016
Yes, beginning averagely it just ultimately made no sense. Suddenly in the last episode the main characters story-wise were actually people barely seen spoken or on screen at all. The subtitles is just a product of american translators lacking any and all sophistry. Even if they just did a literal translation it would have more merit. Or, if it is wise versa, whatever this is just a mess. A lot of empty scenes and transitions with wasting time and holding the camera up. People do not behave IN ENGLAND like that, forget the margin of suspension of disbelief in art - this series is based on suspension of common sense. Kill la Kill rip-off all over - they first tell how a guy started researching masks for weapons, then just because, then there turns out to be a girl in an indefinite timeline that has the same abilities as mask without even using it. And when does it even happen?? NEVER ONCE THERE WAS A HERO MASK.

Netflix is a controversial platform. Sometimes it does honour Japanese animators (B: The Beginning, A.I.C.O.), and half the time it does not. Apparently, here the influence of western "culture" was just too strong to make a coherent series in hands of third-to-second rate Japanese creators. Genuinely disappointed with the idea and execution, and here to this never receiving a continuation, because I would only go and view the final episode even if it does happen due to an error.

shiro_kai said:
just an average Hollywood animation.

The most accurate summary. Netflix has one last chance (besides B:The Beginning 2), and it better not waste it.
Re:formed
Feb 1, 2019 5:15 PM
Nov 2014
Was very confused at the very end. Random girl is healed after bus happens to get run off the road and blow up. Was that a confusing explanation to something I missed or setting up for a part 2?

I figured this was directed by Michael Bay. Who cares that there was no character development or common sense. There were guns and explosions every scene. 😍😍😍 Lol
Mar 22, 2019 1:30 PM

May 2012
Damn that backstory... and what an end. Quite the case if you ask me and with such an ending it really is interesting to have seen all these 15 episodes to be honest.

I found the James Bond-esk setting quite interesting on its own and while the pacing wasn't always as stable, it was still pretty interesting all together.

Quite great animation and characters in this story I must say and a very interesting open ending if you ask me.

All in all it was a nice watch yet a lesser impressive ending as what I was expecting. I am not sure if we should expect a sequel to this, but in general it wasn't bad as is!
Sep 11, 2019 7:25 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
zunderdog24 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sooo this whole series is a prologue right?
A very lazy, thoughtless prologue.
One with bad writing and characters as deep as a dry puddle.

My favorite part of the series was when the dog opened the car door by accident, ran into the hotel, somehow made it into the stair case, ran all the way up to the floor james was on and started body slamming the door. Or that time grim was surronded by cops and killed them all because of their incompetence. Actually it was that time where the "antagonist" turned out to be some random guy and just exploded.

Im actually thinking of watching this again and writing a book that just lists off every signle bad plot point, like sarah spilling coffee or opening a window, or when the assassins take over a power station to kill a guy thats outside, or when the mercenaries that were wearing nightvision googles in the dark were somehow inconvenienced by james blowing out the outside lights on the hotel belcony.

All in all, I was entertained at how bad the plot was, gave me some good lols and wtfs.

Such a tool... This show is average/slightly above average in some regards.

Is it great? No... But the 6.41 score isn't justified, it deserves to be in the 7 - 7.25 score range.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Apr 4, 2020 5:42 AM

Jul 2015
Well after so many years of getting 'Steven', Richard finally had the last laugh there

I liked the action and the story but I really think they could have done this in less episodes as some episodes didn't really had something to tell and felt a bit boring too watch while other episodes were just filled with all kinds of things happening.

Hopefully part 2 isn't worse and actually improves

Aug 12, 2023 2:27 PM

Sep 2020
How the fuck did none of the heist crew notice they were carrying grenades/bombs in their sacks

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hero Mask Episode 2 Discussion

Gezzas - Dec 3, 2018

4 by magatetus »»
Dec 6, 2023 4:03 PM

Poll: » Hero Mask Episode 5 Discussion

Gezzas - Dec 4, 2018

6 by L01MK »»
Jul 25, 2023 4:18 PM

» Hero Mask Series Discussion

Faydflowright - Nov 27, 2020

2 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 26, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » Hero Mask Episode 6 Discussion

hovi - Dec 4, 2018

8 by Gab_list »»
Nov 4, 2021 4:19 PM

Poll: » Hero Mask Episode 1 Discussion

Gezzas - Dec 3, 2018

17 by Stuart2003 »»
Aug 26, 2021 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.