Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2018 10:12 PM

Jul 2015
One of my favorite anime of the year so far is Yuru Camp because of how well it conveyed the feeling of warmth and cozyness throughout the show. It honestly felt like watching the show was the equivalent of drinking a warm cup of cocoa on a chilly day.

I tried to think of other shows that felt similarly cozy to Yuru camp, but couldn't really come up with anything aside from certain healing anime that were pleasant but not necessarily cozy. What exactly makes shows like Yuru Camp more cozy than other healing anime. Do you think it's just that the setting is in winter, or is it something more?

Also, does anyone know of any other cozy anime, or do you think Yuru Camp is simply one of a kind?

celestialnerdFeb 1, 2019 3:21 PM
Dec 1, 2018 10:27 PM

Oct 2017
I don't really know, it felt like a normal (rather boring) slice of life of CGDCT with a false comedy tag to me.

Try Yama no Susume.
Dec 1, 2018 10:31 PM

Jul 2010
Many shows that have Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (cgdct) can be considered your cozy type anime (depending on the person).

Try: Aria Series.

dlee342Dec 1, 2018 10:38 PM
Dec 1, 2018 10:33 PM

Jul 2015
KatsutoSaki said:
I don't really know, it felt like a normal (rather boring) slice of life of CGDCT with a false comedy tag to me.

Try Yama no Susume.

I've heard good things about Yama no Susume, so I'll have to try it. I get how some people may find Yuru Camp boring, since nothing really happens, but for people who don't mind a lack of action and constant comedy, I would definitely say its on the high end of slice of life/CGDCT shows. The comedy is present, though it is very subdued. Subduedness and calmness actually seemed to be the strength of the show in making it so cozy and relaxing!
Dec 1, 2018 10:38 PM

Jul 2015
dlee342 said:
Many shows that have Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (cgdct) can be considered your cozy type anime (depending on the person).

It's very true that different things are cozy to different people. For me, I haven't really found another CGDGT show that really felt comfy and relaxing, as most of the ones I've seen were more focused on comedy and sometimes character develpment. There are a lot of shows I've found with certain episodes that felt pretty cozy, or different parts of episodes in some cases.

Also, I'll definately have to get around to watching Aria soon!
Dec 1, 2018 10:42 PM

Oct 2017
celestialnerd said:
KatsutoSaki said:

Try Yama no Susume.

I've heard good things about Yama no Susume, so I'll have to try it. I get how some people may find Yuru Camp boring, since nothing really happens, but for people who don't mind a lack of action and constant comedy, I would definitely say its on the high end of slice of life/CGDCT shows. The comedy is present, though it is very subdued. Subduedness and calmness actually seemed to be the strength of the show in making it so cozy and relaxing!

Nope, there was nothing to laugh or even smile at unless you find things that cute girls do to be funny.
Dec 1, 2018 10:48 PM

Jul 2007
dlee342 said:

Try: Aria Series.

Thank you for clarifying what CGDCT means. My antiquated ass struggles to keep up with all these new terms.

On topic, Anima Yell from this season is the comfiest CGDCT show I have watched in years. Check it out if you haven't already.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Dec 1, 2018 10:48 PM

Jul 2010
You also talked about iyashikei (healing) anime, you should also give some of these a try as well. hopefully you will find these to be rather cozy.

-Tamayura Series
-Hakumei to Mikochi
-Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation
-Natsume Yuujinchou
-Sora no Woto

and Kino's journey (2003) not really an iyashikei but still a nice little SOL anime.
dlee342Dec 1, 2018 10:53 PM
Dec 1, 2018 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
Girls Last Tour is comfy in a sorta bittersweet way. There are a couple heavier moments in the anime (or manga,) but overall, there's a lot of feel-good, warm scenes with our main girls and the people they run into.
Dec 1, 2018 11:30 PM

Jun 2017
I found Non Non Biyori relaxing and cozy even tho its cgdct
Dec 1, 2018 11:32 PM

Nov 2017
natsume yuujinchou all the way <3 very easy watch, super cozy atmosphere
Dec 2, 2018 2:12 AM

Jan 2013
Aa! Megami Sama or Yokohama Shopping Log. One of the most calming and nicest atmospheres I've ever seen
Dec 2, 2018 2:18 AM

Oct 2018
Not sure if it's cozy, but my favorite feel good anime is Amagi Brilliant Park. Watch it every time I feel down, and it never ceases to put a smile on my face. Could just be me though...
Dec 2, 2018 2:18 AM
Sep 2018
Any studio ghibli film is cozy. I personally recommend Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns :)
Dec 2, 2018 2:41 AM

Apr 2017
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge was pretty comfy and resting imo. Pretty good SoL show.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Dec 2, 2018 2:42 AM

Feb 2018
For me that's Saiki Kusuo no psi nan, because I could watch Teruhashi all day xd.
Dec 2, 2018 2:46 AM

Aug 2014
I was thinkinh non non biyori, and maybe tanaka kun
Dec 2, 2018 6:43 AM

Jul 2015
Aidyr said:
Girls Last Tour is comfy in a sorta bittersweet way. There are a couple heavier moments in the anime (or manga,) but overall, there's a lot of feel-good, warm scenes with our main girls and the people they run into.

There are definitely some very cozy moments in girls last tour along with some darker ones! You're right that it's pretty bittersweet though. When I think of scenes like the rain song and such though it definitely feels cozy!
Dec 2, 2018 6:47 AM

Jul 2015
gintokihoe said:
Any studio ghibli film is cozy. I personally recommend Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns :)
Oh man, I totally forgot about studio ghibli movies but you're completely right. Many of them also embody the feeling of wrapping yourself in a blanket and drinking hot cocoa or tea.
Dec 2, 2018 6:55 AM

Aug 2017
hidamari sketch = maximum comfy. nothing like it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2018 7:08 AM

Oct 2017
There's plenty of anime I would describe as relaxing but cozy shows are a bit more scarce. Nyanko days fits but it's pretty short, Non Non Biyori and Kemono friends are also fairly cozy. The Ancient Magus' Bride and Golden Kamuy have some cozy moments but aren't like that all the way through.
Dec 2, 2018 7:19 AM

Feb 2017
Usagi Drop anime is pretty cozy and heart-warming.
Also Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan counts as well. Probably the coziest and most relaxing anime I've seen in recent times.
Dec 2, 2018 7:22 AM

Oct 2010
While there are other iyashikei that in the end reach the same healing feel, Yuru Camp like others has its own way to reach it. I think fall/winter is a very integral part of the specific path it takes, which also implies comforting clothes, focus on warmth and a subdued color palette. There are, still, shows that create similar feelings, but their strategies are slightly different. Flying witch for instance would fit the peaceful label more than cozy, it specifically seems to avoid conflict and stakes. Hakumei to Mikochi is both observational/procedural and with a heavy focus on the community and interrelations. Usagi Drop reaches it through pure cuteness. Konohana Kitan is proverbial and embraces a more philosophical/cultural appreciation of transience. Yama no Susume focuses on the healing aspect of friendship. Sora no Woto makes the escapism of iyashikei an actual narrative purpose inside the story.

Out of these, I think the one that better compares with Yuru Camp is Flying witch. There is a sort of procedural fixation to both, as well as an appreciation of good food. Both embrace open natural environments and are quite focused on rural/pastoral settings. You could also say that both are quite cozy shows in their own different ways, though I wouldn't use that word to describe Flying witch, the setting is different and generates a different kind of attachment.

People compare Yuru Camp a lot with Yama no Susume and they are really not much alike. Their similarities end in the fact they are focused on outdoors activities and the characters often wear warm clothes, because in some aspects, specially in the ones that concern their core philosophy on relationships or in the handling of conflict, they are polar opposites.

KatsutoSaki said:

Try Yama no Susume.

The tag seems pretty okay to me, because there's plenty of comedy in the show, jokes, deformed reactions, and etc. Yama no Susume is way less focused on comedy and it has this tag too.
jal90Dec 2, 2018 7:27 AM
Dec 2, 2018 8:35 AM

Oct 2017
jal90 said:
The tag seems pretty okay to me, because there's plenty of comedy in the show, jokes, deformed reactions, and etc.

Yuru Camp isn't a comedy show unless if you think whatever cute girls do is funny. Simply because someone's doing something cute doesn't mean it should've a comedy tag or should be considered as a comedy show. Scenes like Nadeshiko eating her food in an unusual rather in a "cute" way isn't something to laugh or smile at. My point is that doing cute things =/= comedy, especially from what I've seen in Yuru Camp, it felt more like a regular slice of life to me. And even if comedy has a light presence, it still doesn't deserve the tag since it isn't the main thing in the show. There are plenty of shows like that which don't have the comedy tag, despite comedy being there but in a lesser amount. Though, the same can also be said about any other tag.

jal90 said:
Yama no Susume is way less focused on comedy and it has this tag too.

I haven't watched Yama no Susume, so I don't know. And I only recommended it because I've heard quite a lot about it.
Dec 2, 2018 9:09 AM

Oct 2010
KatsutoSaki said:
jal90 said:
The tag seems pretty okay to me, because there's plenty of comedy in the show, jokes, deformed reactions, and etc.

Yuru Camp isn't a comedy show unless if you think whatever cute girls do is funny. Simply because someone's doing something cute doesn't mean it should've a comedy tag or should be considered as a comedy show. Scenes like Nadeshiko eating her food in an unusual rather in a "cute" way isn't something to laugh or smile at. My point is that doing cute things =/= comedy, especially from what I've seen in Yuru Camp, it felt more like a regular slice of life to me. And even if comedy has a light presence, it still doesn't deserve the tag since it isn't the main thing in the show. There are plenty of shows like that which don't have the comedy tag, despite comedy being there but in a lesser amount. Though, the same can also be said about any other tag.

jal90 said:
Yama no Susume is way less focused on comedy and it has this tag too.

I haven't watched Yama no Susume, so I don't know. And I only recommended it because I've heard quite a lot about it.

To say that comedy has a low presence in Yuru Camp when it has a lot of reaction faces, text banter, jokes among the characters and the characters acting quirky doesn't sound quite right to me. What are your standards for calling something a comedy? Do you mean that when Nadeshiko makes a jumpscare appearance, when she mistakenly takes a deck of cards from her pocket, when she acts happy after burning her tongue and etc. these are not comedic sequences? But of course they are, and there's plenty of these each episode. You are creating a dichotomy that doesn't quite work, a scene can be cute and funny and it can be funny in a cute way, it's not like a comedy needs to straight tell you that it is and separate itself from its other purposes. Not every comedy out there has a singled out structure for its comedic content. In some cases like Yuru Camp it intends to happen naturally as part of the charm of the characters and the overall tone.

About Yama no Susume, I didn't know you hadn't watched it, but in any case it's a very common comparison people make so I don't blame you, but if you don't consider Yuru Camp a comedy you wouldn't pick this one either, or Flying witch for that matter. On the actual recommendation, this is just a personal nitpick but I don't think they are very comparable outside of both being SOL and belonging to the still wide realm of iyashikei. As said, in many relevant aspects they are even polar opposites. And it's not like I don't get why they are often brought together (there are aesthetic convergences, definitely), but.
Dec 2, 2018 9:41 AM

Jul 2015
dlee342 said:
You also talked about iyashikei (healing) anime, you should also give some of these a try as well. hopefully you will find these to be rather cozy.

-Tamayura Series
-Hakumei to Mikochi
-Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation
-Natsume Yuujinchou
-Sora no Woto

and Kino's journey (2003) not really an iyashikei but still a nice little SOL anime.

Thank you for the recommendations! I've seen the first episode of Natsume Yuujinchou, and it did seem pretty nice :). I'll have to check the other series out!
Dec 2, 2018 9:43 AM

Jul 2015
Klad said:
Aa! Megami Sama or Yokohama Shopping Log. One of the most calming and nicest atmospheres I've ever seen

Ah thank you so much for the recommendations! I'm always on the lookout for more shows with calming and cozy atmospheres so I'll def go check those series out!
Dec 2, 2018 9:45 AM

Jul 2015
Platypus7 said:
There's plenty of anime I would describe as relaxing but cozy shows are a bit more scarce. Nyanko days fits but it's pretty short, Non Non Biyori and Kemono friends are also fairly cozy. The Ancient Magus' Bride and Golden Kamuy have some cozy moments but aren't like that all the way through.

I would say the same thing. Cozyness is a very distinct feeling that is difficult to find in entire series of anime. There are for sure a lot of different series that their cozy moments, which are still very nice to watch, but there are few anime that actually embody the entire feeling of cozy. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to check them out :)
Dec 2, 2018 9:51 AM

Jul 2015
jal90 said:
While there are other iyashikei that in the end reach the same healing feel, Yuru Camp like others has its own way to reach it. I think fall/winter is a very integral part of the specific path it takes, which also implies comforting clothes, focus on warmth and a subdued color palette. There are, still, shows that create similar feelings, but their strategies are slightly different. Flying witch for instance would fit the peaceful label more than cozy, it specifically seems to avoid conflict and stakes. Hakumei to Mikochi is both observational/procedural and with a heavy focus on the community and interrelations. Usagi Drop reaches it through pure cuteness. Konohana Kitan is proverbial and embraces a more philosophical/cultural appreciation of transience. Yama no Susume focuses on the healing aspect of friendship. Sora no Woto makes the escapism of iyashikei an actual narrative purpose inside the story.

Out of these, I think the one that better compares with Yuru Camp is Flying witch. There is a sort of procedural fixation to both, as well as an appreciation of good food. Both embrace open natural environments and are quite focused on rural/pastoral settings. You could also say that both are quite cozy shows in their own different ways, though I wouldn't use that word to describe Flying witch, the setting is different and generates a different kind of attachment.

People compare Yuru Camp a lot with Yama no Susume and they are really not much alike. Their similarities end in the fact they are focused on outdoors activities and the characters often wear warm clothes, because in some aspects, specially in the ones that concern their core philosophy on relationships or in the handling of conflict, they are polar opposites.

KatsutoSaki said:

Try Yama no Susume.

The tag seems pretty okay to me, because there's plenty of comedy in the show, jokes, deformed reactions, and etc. Yama no Susume is way less focused on comedy and it has this tag too.

I can definitely see a multitude of similarities between Yuru Camp and Flying Witch, and both ended up being some of my favorite Iyashikei shows of all time, though I would agree that certain aspects of each shows set them apart from each other. Yuru Camp is very comfy and cozy, while Flying Witch seems to more embody a feeling of tranquility.

For Yuru Camp, I definitely think the setting of fall/winter combined with warm clothes and warm drinks/foods definitely contribute to the coziness factor. Additionally, the ost of Yuru Camp also greatly seems to contribute to the general feeling of coziness.

Thanks for the detailed response, and I'll check out the other series you mentioned as well!
Dec 2, 2018 10:37 AM
Mar 2018
I can recommend Mushishi and Haibane Renmei.
Dec 2, 2018 10:40 AM

Apr 2015
I think Tamako Market is quite cozy. A little bit of drama, but for the most part it's the day-to-day life of a girl who runs a mochi shop and the people around her, including a talking bird.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 3, 2018 7:50 PM

Jul 2015
CatSoul said:
I think Tamako Market is quite cozy. A little bit of drama, but for the most part it's the day-to-day life of a girl who runs a mochi shop and the people around her, including a talking bird.

Oooooo that one's been on my ptw list for a while now... I think I'll have to get to watching it soon! It does seem to be fun and cozy from what I've seen!
Dec 3, 2018 8:04 PM
Apr 2016
Ore Monogatari
Usagi Drop Don't read the manga
Amaama to Inazuma
Mitsuboshi Colors
Daily Lives of High School Boys: Not exactly comfy per say, but a lot of fun.

May 19, 2019 2:55 PM
May 2019
I can attest, Aria is the best anime series I have ever watched. I grew up on it and let me tell you, its the closest thing to a perfect anime we will ever get
May 19, 2019 6:50 PM

Jul 2015
PrincessCoffee said:
I can attest, Aria is the best anime series I have ever watched. I grew up on it and let me tell you, its the closest thing to a perfect anime we will ever get

Definitely on my summer ptw list. I hope I can get to it soon!

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 3 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
25 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

21 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
52 minutes ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
1 hour ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.