Forum Settings
Forums

[Spoiler][Discussion]I dont like Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Movie -Take on me ending

New
Nov 29, 2018 4:23 AM
Nov 2018
I recently watched through the Chuunibyou series and I like it, but in the Take on me movie ending it seem Rikka hadnt overcome the Chuunibyou, and that's the thing I dont like about the movie (or did I miss something important at the end?)

I mean, the main idea of the series is about another side of Chuunibyou, it's not bad and even good for someone to protect themselves from pain, in this case, Rikka got Chuunibyou after her father death, but in the movie, Rikka is 18 years old, and they are becoming adult, they need to grow up,
so why in the end, she still had the syndrome? Chuunibyou is fine at the age of high school, but it also causes a lot of trouble, if she didnt change, what is the point of the movie? they mentioned the future, the mature life, but if she grows up with Chuunibyou remaining, how will her life be?

These are my thought after watching the movie, I like the series, but if I could choose the ending, I would like Rikka to end up normal. What is your opinion?
Nov 29, 2018 4:41 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Thread moved from Anime Discussion. and removed self-modding & bait posts.
Jan 5, 2019 11:25 PM

Jun 2017
i don't like the notion that chuunibyou needs to be completely eradicated in order to "mature", but i think there's certainly a degree of how the movie resolves how Rikka deals with her particular chuunibyou by the end
Jan 6, 2019 12:42 AM
Feb 2012
It looks like the OP made an account here just to post this and hasn't been on since, but for anyone else who reads this I'll post my answer:

I watched this not too long ago and the movie didn't really do the best job showcasing Rikka's development, but she did make progress, and it wasn't pointless. By the end she realized that she needed to change in order to move forward in life and decided to accept that rather than continuing to run from it. However she also realized that her chuunibyou had actually become an important part of who she was as a person. It was her chuuni that helped her form a relationship with Yuuta as well as her friends and an important part of their bond. Throwing that away would be a betrayal of herself and the friends she made through it. So she resolved to allow herself to change while still embracing her Chuuni ways for now. This is just the very start, her first step in growing up.
Jan 15, 2019 9:28 PM
Oct 2018
steamedham82 said:
I recently watched through the Chuunibyou series and I like it, but in the Take on me movie ending it seem Rikka hadnt overcome the Chuunibyou, and that's the thing I dont like about the movie (or did I miss something important at the end?)

I mean, the main idea of the series is about another side of Chuunibyou, it's not bad and even good for someone to protect themselves from pain, in this case, Rikka got Chuunibyou after her father death, but in the movie, Rikka is 18 years old, and they are becoming adult, they need to grow up,
so why in the end, she still had the syndrome? Chuunibyou is fine at the age of high school, but it also causes a lot of trouble, if she didnt change, what is the point of the movie? they mentioned the future, the mature life, but if she grows up with Chuunibyou remaining, how will her life be?

These are my thought after watching the movie, I like the series, but if I could choose the ending, I would like Rikka to end up normal. What is your opinion?
i totally agree with u mate I would say the ending is totally a shit one seriously I thought they’ll become a normal couple after that ship scene but the story says fak normal life chuunibyou forever like tf man
Feb 23, 2019 12:43 PM
Feb 2019
kbofficial said:
steamedham82 said:

i totally agree with u mate I would say the ending is totally a shit one seriously I thought they’ll become a normal couple after that ship scene but the story says fak normal life chuunibyou forever like tf man

I know this was something that was said a while ago but I saw this and had to respond. So this will be for whoever comes across this post. I understand what both of you mean when you want her to grow up to be normal and lose her chuunibyou, but like you said her chuunibyou is what help forge her relationship with yura and all her friends. It who she is as a person I mean who gets to decide what a normal life is I dont think anyone is qualified to decide that. A normal life is what you make it and for yuuta and rikka that's what is normal for them.I personally liked the ending I thinks it's nice to be able to see that they have gone through changes and that their still happy together. I'm not trying to call anyone out everyone has there own opinion I respect that I was trying to give my own view on something in anime for the first time since I have been watching it for as long as I can remember. Also because this is one of my favorite animes that I have ever seen, I mean this is my second time watching it. I find it sad that it has to end but i guess everything ends at some point so I'm just trying to appreciate what exists,sorry for ranting I hope anyone who watches this series enjoys it thoroughly because I sure did.
Feb 23, 2019 2:58 PM

Sep 2018
She just accepted Chuunibyou of a part of herself and learned how to "restrain" it
Aug 3, 2019 2:50 AM
Apr 2019
Mullerio said:
She just accepted Chuunibyou of a part of herself and learned how to "restrain" it

That’s what I assume, and logically that’s better because then she can switch between her comfortable self with her friends and a more formal self for things like a job. I kinda get why people didn’t like the ending though. The ending was fine, I really liked the confession (even with the long wait, though that’s part of Rikka’s dilemma), it’s just that they never really showed how Rikka’s developed afterwards, it’s just the wedding, and a nod to her and Yuuta being together forever (surprising). You just kind of have to assume she developed.
Aug 5, 2019 9:46 PM

May 2019
My conclusion is the same of this reviewer:

"The idea of Rikka finally maturing and dealing with the adult world in a healthy way is a very interesting one, but the execution is atrocious instead choosing to romanticize her unhealthy delusions because "As long as someone encourages you delusions- I mean loves you for you are, you need not grow" She has grown past the need for these eight-grade delusions, but because the audience hasn't, she will be perpetually stuck as a mentally ill teenager."

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=285235

It is all fault of the otakus and weebs the author tries to satisfy, and i feel bad for Rikka after this all.

We can just imagine she becoming able to balance her fantasy and be chill dealing with reality, but it is not what the we see on screen.
Rob7Aug 6, 2019 10:07 PM
Aug 18, 2019 12:57 PM
Jul 2013
People think a mentally disabled loli girl is cute... go figure. She'll never grow out of that phase just like dumb MCs like Goku will never become smart, simply because people like the characters the way they are, regardless of how badly written they are.
Feb 26, 2020 6:10 PM
Feb 2018
This movie was great except for the main couple. She really left him on the train alone without even a phone call...break up. She won't study for college,watches him spend all his money(she has plenty, buys toys instead) and thinks her chuunibyou will drive yuta away meanwhile he's been telling her to rid herself of it since day 1. I was honestly hoping for a break up so he could have something real with pink hair. Rikka will never truly love him she thinks its all a game and he is feeding into it by playing with her. Chuunibyou is cute for a child but as an adult it's kinda creepy. Overall i loved this movie and series with all the cute moments.
Apr 9, 2020 3:54 AM

Oct 2013
Prada_313 said:
This movie was great except for the main couple. She really left him on the train alone without even a phone call...break up. She won't study for college,watches him spend all his money(she has plenty, buys toys instead) and thinks her chuunibyou will drive yuta away meanwhile he's been telling her to rid herself of it since day 1. I was honestly hoping for a break up so he could have something real with pink hair. Rikka will never truly love him she thinks its all a game and he is feeding into it by playing with her. Chuunibyou is cute for a child but as an adult it's kinda creepy. Overall i loved this movie and series with all the cute moments.

Unfortunately Yuuta x Satone will never happen, although I do agree they'll have a better relationship.

The problem with Yuuta x Rikka is that their relationship barely feels like one of a boyfriend/girlfriend. They're more like a father and a daughter.

Yuuta for the entire series educates her, tells her what's appropriate and what isn't. The examples you have given support this statement as well.

If we look at their relationship in the long term, it just won't last.

As for the topic of this thread- I did not like the ending at all as well. Telling us she knows she needs to change is nice and all, but if we don't see it on screen, then we cannot know. Her knowing she needs to "restrain" herself is a speculation as well.

I think it could've been much better if they realized they can be together and love each other even without being Chuuni. Something that you need to grow up from.

But nah, Rikka will probably stay retarded forever. Unfortunate and a wasted potential of a series.

Jun 21, 2020 9:55 PM

Mar 2016
I didn't like the end either, and I'm siding with Touka. She's the closest to an antagonist in this story but it's not a villain in any way, all she wants is her sister to become a functional member of society. And yeah, maybe Yuuta is ok with Rikka's Chuunibyou syndrome but at a point she'll have to get out of the comfort zone she's right now. I can't imagine a boss dealing with her an employee, man if she was under my supervision I would transfer her to another area in my work place,. But that's just me, as I see she didn't overcome anything.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 2, 2020 3:46 AM
Aug 2019
I feel like I got a completely different conclusion about the ending.
I feel like that Rikka was running away from Yuuta because her chuunibyou was fading and she feared that Yuuta won't like her anymore, then when Yuuta caught up to her, he said that he likes Rikka no matter if she still has chuunibyou or not. Rikka accepts that as an answer and also accepted that her chuunibyou will, eventually, go away. This also ties in Shichimiya, who could have done the same but the fear overwhelmed her, which is also why she warned Rikka.
Then again I watched it half a year ago so some memories might be blurry.
Jul 24, 2020 1:51 PM

Oct 2012
I kind of think Yuta is kind of an enabler. I don't know, when I watched this series when it first came out when I was a bit younger, I think I was happy that Rikka kept the Chuunibyou thing going on at the end of season 1, because she didn't seem entirely happy having to grow up. Maybe that wasn't the point of season 1, I haven't watched it in awhile, but that's what I remember. But now that I just watched the movie, I do think have chuunibyou is kind of a hinderance on her as she moves forward in life. I do wish the series ended with all the characters growing out of their chuuni, but it is what it is.
Sep 10, 2020 9:06 AM

Aug 2018
Let's just hope by the time after movie ends, Rikka slowly toning down her chunni and focus to final exam/uni.
Oct 19, 2020 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
I had exactly the same conclusion as OP here.

The show had the same problem as the movie: it constantly showcases Rikka's Chunibyo as something that’s causing actual problems, as something that’s driving a wedge between her and her relationships, as something she really needs to grow out of but isn’t. But then in the end it all comes down to Yuuta saying “Nah but I like her better this way” and then we’re just supposed to go with it because presumably nobody wants to buy a $300 statue of “Normie Rikka”.

I was seriously wondering if the movie was actually going to commit to the fact that their running away was an escape from reality, that maybe it’d be totally fine if Rikka moved on, but just like the series, that’s a big fat nope.

I’m all for a message of “It’s ok to be weird” or “Don’t conform to what everyone else thinks you should be”, but Rikka's growth over the series is so incredibly minimal and her Chunibyo is presented as such a zero-sum game of either being a total weirdo or depressed normie that it’s really hard to take away any kind of positive message to it all.
Oct 21, 2020 11:51 PM

Jan 2019
tbh i interpreted the ending as she was scared he wouldn't love her if she didn't have chuuni, he reassured her he loved her either way and she accepted that it will eventually go away and thats okay
Nov 17, 2020 11:03 AM

Aug 2009
revxdd said:
tbh i interpreted the ending as she was scared he wouldn't love her if she didn't have chuuni, he reassured her he loved her either way and she accepted that it will eventually go away and thats okay
I think that was the message the ending was getting at but it went over people's heads a little bit.
Nov 29, 2020 4:01 PM
Apr 2020
By the end of the film Rikka understands she can't be chuunibyou forever And That's a Good Thing™ and I think it's implied that she will eventually grow out of her chuunibyou by the time she enters college as Yuuta said to Touka to try and appease her
Also the post credits could be a hint towards her growing up with her saying "do you want to see my eye" though it could go the other way as well
Dec 16, 2020 7:54 AM
Apr 2017
So did the LN end also or was it the movie only ending? I know im digging in a half year old thread but im curious
Dec 19, 2020 7:58 PM
Oct 2018
I'm 20 and still chuunibyou
Dec 23, 2020 8:39 AM
Mar 2020
It's normal to not like it mate. Tbh the ending is pretty wack. It leaves a lot of mysteries and unanswered questions.
Mar 24, 2021 3:56 PM
Mar 2016
8th grade syndrome is just the weirdness people can go through who suffered abuse/trauma. As a 30 year old man who still listens to emo music and watches cartoons, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Growing up doesn't necessarily mean discarding everything that made you unique and edgy to be a cardboard cutout of a person. Over time you will grow and change. No one needs to tell you how to be or what life you need to live. You can be an adult and still have childish fun.
Jun 10, 2021 2:51 AM

Jun 2010
Prada_313 said:
She really left him on the train alone without even a phone call...break up.

Yeah lol that was a huge wtf from me, just up and disappeared like no big deal, while leaving the ring he gave her there
Aug 4, 2021 2:44 AM

Apr 2018
I liked the ending, why she has to change into a normal gal just to keep living with him.

Feb 14, 2022 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
Prada_313 said:

I mostly agree with this except i didn't really ship anyone.

It's been 7-8 years since I watched s2 and it feels like i outgrew this series. Rikka is way too old for chuunibyou but everyone is enabling her. It's not surprising that it became part of her character.
(tbf almost every main character in this show still has chuunibyou but they can hide it better)

After the train scene i couldn't help but think "Dude, she broke up. Go home and focus on getting to university.".
She was afraid he's leave her so she left him? She's almost 18 and not 14..
Apr 19, 2022 9:06 PM
Mar 2019
So no real progression and just 2 Kisses to end it all.
I bet it's a Happy Life living like that.
May 1, 2022 9:00 PM
Jan 2014
Prada_313 said:

Lol to be honest, the more I think about her qualities outside of her chuunibyou, the more I think about how they're doomed to fail as a couple due to her shortcomings, and how he should have pursued someone helpful like Nibutani instead

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Movie: Take On Me Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

allenjke - Aug 8, 2018

91 by Devonnius »»
Apr 6, 11:11 PM

» Anyone else disappointed with how it ended?

MrFlakey - Mar 28, 2021

21 by epidemia78 »»
Mar 20, 3:32 PM

» Watch after season 1?

Vaelyx - May 7, 2019

3 by HagePotPotato »»
Aug 6, 2022 12:30 PM

Poll: » i'm not a yuri fan but i really want to see deko and nibu kiss in this upcoming movie

removed-user - May 25, 2017

15 by HarmonicDX »»
May 1, 2022 9:08 PM

» What is next (sequel?)

Ikitik - Jan 14, 2019

3 by Keanan88 »»
Dec 23, 2020 8:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.