Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 29, 2020 6:22 PM
Jun 2015
Cuz its a fuckin masterpiece and imo better than FMAB.
May 29, 2020 6:24 PM
Jun 2015
Schmand said:
Nen and everything that revolves around it and the chimera ant arc, that's about it's only strengths.
Phantom troupe tho
May 30, 2020 2:32 PM
Jan 2010
Looking at this thread it really shows how defensive the HxH fanbase gets when they spot even an implication that this show might not be a masterpiece or in fact could even be called average or bad.
Truth is up until the start of the ant arc or whatever (end of greed island) I have seen none of this supposedly "masterful" writing that you people keep spouting. What I have seen is an average show with some good characters (Hisoka, Kurapika) and lots of shit one-dimensional mob-like-but-major characters. These include the entirety of the spider people as well as the bomb people from greed island. These guys are like the villain-of-the-week guys from Fist of the North Star except their appearances are incredibly drawn out, the bomb guys for the entire greed island arc and the spider guys are STILL going strong when they should've been offed 20 episodes ago. On top of that the two main characters are generic unlikable asspull children with superhuman powers inherited from their parents.

The story or plot is nothing so far. They're looking for his dad. The dad probably just wants to make him stronger to face the ultimate evil or himself or whatever and makes up ridiculous challenges and has the foresight of god (maybe he is god?). That's the story. That's ok, I didn't expect anything more from it, because how battle shounens work is to make them unending. There is nothing praiseworthy about this plot.

The nen system is made out to be fairly complex by the show and maybe that will come to play in the future, but honestly up until now I see no discernible difference between this and for example the BNHA that a lot of the people in this thread seem to demonize. Everyone has their quirk. Hisoka with his gum, the bomb guys with their bombs, killua with his electricity, spider guys. Sure there's some crap added on top of it but you can't tell me Gon's abilities up to the ant arc have differed critically from that of Deku. The only difference is the battle cry.

For a "battle shounen" so far there's not many fights to speak of honestly. You can probably count the fights that have happened in 75 episodes on two hands. Most of them are anticlimactic or end in an asspull like greed island. Some of them have still been entertaining at least, mainly when Gon or Killua isn't involved in any way.
Jun 5, 2020 5:42 PM

Dec 2016
shane_nichols said:
Cuz its a fuckin masterpiece and imo better than FMAB.

FMAB never loses its focus, doesn't leave any character behind, has a well-rounded ending with no loose ends and doesn't have any mediocre portion like HxH does with the entire Greed Island and Election arcs.

Nope, it's not better than FMAB.
Jul 15, 2020 5:34 PM
Jul 2020
because its one of the only few anime's that brought me to tears multiple times
Jul 15, 2020 5:45 PM

Jan 2016
highlad said:

That's a fair point. I wouldn't say it brought me to tears necessarily, but there definitely those moments, especially if you're really attached to characters.
Jul 15, 2020 5:47 PM

Jul 2019
Yes. The music slapped, the characters weren't bad, the story was interesting and good art. I'm not a fan of long-running anime or even shounen action anime but I loved Hunter x Hunter
Jul 15, 2020 5:48 PM
Jul 2020
Armakan said:
highlad said:

That's a fair point. I wouldn't say it brought me to tears necessarily, but there definitely those moments, especially if you're really attached to characters.

i did fall in love with all the characters, i found myself sympozing with the big bad guy at the end, the music, the animation, voice acting and the story is all there for me!
Jul 15, 2020 5:49 PM

Jan 2016
highlad said:
Armakan said:

i did fall in love with all the characters, i found myself sympozing with the big bad guy at the end, the music, the animation, voice acting and the story is all there for me!

Hah, you don't hear that too often. I totally get where you're coming from though, even for the bad guys. There's always that one (or two) qualities that are enjoyable and also original. The second characteristic tends to be lost in most characters these days.
Jul 15, 2020 5:54 PM
Jul 2020
Armakan said:
highlad said:

Hah, you don't hear that too often. I totally get where you're coming from though, even for the bad guys. There's always that one (or two) qualities that are enjoyable and also original. The second characteristic tends to be lost in most characters these days.

with the characters i believe Gon has to be the way he is (peoples main issues with him) if hes not the way he is killua would never of got the character development he needed! just how no one but netero would of won, cause he was willing to do anything to be better then anyone else
Jul 15, 2020 5:56 PM

Jan 2016
highlad said:
Armakan said:

with the characters i believe Gon has to be the way he is (peoples main issues with him) if hes not the way he is killua would never of got the character development he needed! just how no one but netero would of won, cause he was willing to do anything to be better then anyone else

It's been a few years since I last watched the show, but yeah, totally. Killua to this day remains one of my favorite anime characters (and the way he synergizes with Gon is just perfect).

And you bring up a fair point with Netero, that man is just a badass.
Jul 22, 2020 1:40 AM
Jun 2020
Everything you could possibly imagine.
Aug 5, 2020 11:45 AM
Oct 2019
I'd like to add another tally to the "It's not a 10" crowd.

I didn't like Gon at all. Idk about the "music". I don't remember any of it, personally. I thought most of the arcs were mediocre, and the first ~30+ episodes of the ant arc was maybe the worst, most bizarre, drawn out, boring nonsense I've ever seen in anime.

The only thing that prevented me from dropping it was Killua. Awesome character. His arc with his sister was great. I liked their training on greed island with that chick. And then learning nen from that guy in York New (?) was interesting as well.

I could tell early on, just based on the initial hunter exam arc, that there was a disconnect between the show's rating/hype and how much I personally enjoyed it.
Aug 5, 2020 12:02 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It's not, it was good for battle shounen standards untill the Chimera Ant arc where it stops treating it's audience with respect. It's drawn out to no end and replaces the subtle nuance with conspicuousness to make sure not even infants could miss the psychological aspects. 2/10
Aug 5, 2020 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
StardustReverie said:

The story or plot is nothing so far. They're looking for his dad. The dad probably just wants to make him stronger to face the ultimate evil or himself or whatever and makes up ridiculous challenges and has the foresight of god (maybe he is god?). That's the story. That's ok, I didn't expect anything more from it, because how battle shounens work is to make them unending. There is nothing praiseworthy about this plot.

The nen system is made out to be fairly complex by the show and maybe that will come to play in the future, but honestly up until now I see no discernible difference between this and for example the BNHA that a lot of the people in this thread seem to demonize. Everyone has their quirk. Hisoka with his gum, the bomb guys with their bombs, killua with his electricity, spider guys. Sure there's some crap added on top of it but you can't tell me Gon's abilities up to the ant arc have differed critically from that of Deku. The only difference is the battle cry.

For a "battle shounen" so far there's not many fights to speak of honestly. You can probably count the fights that have happened in 75 episodes on two hands. Most of them are anticlimactic or end in an asspull like greed island. Some of them have still been entertaining at least, mainly when Gon or Killua isn't involved in any way.

Yes, in a way that is true there is not plot or story, since it is set up as an adventure where there is a new focus for every arc, even allowing for a different main character to be the focus. The goal of finding his dad is the thread that ties all of them together; its purposefully not trying to be some perfectly structured FMA series or something you seemed to have not expected. As for your opnions on the Phantom Troupe staying around and Gon and Killua being special, another case where im not sure what you were expecting.

The nen system is not perfect, but it is far better than something like quirks. You at like the internal logic of the powers mean nothing just because in they end the both punch good. Bungee gum isn't just a power Hisoka inherited at birth, it was something created by him that reflect on him as a character, and through experience he has learned to make it very versatile. Deku, while not exactly smart, loves to think hard about strategy and such. Yet, when it comes down to it, the only thing he can think of to win in PUNCH HARD with an inherited power. Gon is intelligent, but not smart in the sense of developing a complex power, he is an enhancer, so of course he would create such a simple power. There is just a lot more interesting things going on with nen.

As for there not being many fights, and them being anti-climatic; Yea, that is something I appreciate for the most part.
Aug 8, 2020 4:46 AM

Jun 2016
Election Arc is one of the worst arcs I've seen in shounen.
Aug 8, 2020 4:49 AM
Jun 2020
Because we all like the pedophile Hisoka.
Edocchi said:
Election Arc is one of the worst arcs I've seen in shounen.
no
Nov 3, 2020 12:10 PM
Jul 2020
'Cause Hisoka. Is that a reasonable response...?
Nov 17, 2020 7:54 PM
Nov 2020
Hey, just wanted to promote my handmade crystal infused smoking accessories. Right now I'm doing a Hunter X Hunter collection. Check it out: https://luciddluxe.com/collections/hunter-x-hunter-collection. Thank you!
Nov 24, 2020 6:18 AM
Nov 2020
All of the things that you listed is why it's a 10/10
The story is very interesting, the characters are very special and especially the battles are breathtaking
Nov 24, 2020 11:33 AM

Oct 2019
How about all of it? Easy 10/10 from me.
Nov 25, 2020 12:31 AM

Jul 2020
It ain't a 10/10 as a whole. The chimera ant arc though is anime at its best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2020 6:54 AM
Oct 2018
IAmAnEnthusiast said:
Is it the music? The story telling? The characters? The world building?

The obvious answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Nov 25, 2020 7:27 AM

Apr 2020
Its the greatest anime of all time.
The power system is the greatest of all time.
The characters are the greatest of all time.
And Leorio
Jan 27, 2021 11:10 PM
Apr 2019
IAmAnEnthusiast said:
Is it the music? The story telling? The characters? The world building?

I think it's for the characters, and the confrontation with themselves versus us, the impersonation that usually happens with one of the trio and the adventure itself, the anime always pushes you to want to know how it goes. I'll tell you the music, I don't particularly like it. But the world is fascinating, and the characters are. The history of the world, the history of each of the characters.
Feb 3, 2021 7:45 AM
Jan 2017
It's not. Maybe the manga deserves it, but the anime certainly doesn't. Not with the abysmal narrator that drags out almost every scene and tells the audience what every character is thinking constantly, and exactly what is happening (like seriously, at one point he takes 5-10 minutes to explain a 5 second scene that's literally just "these two people are friends". It's woeful). Not with how excruciatingly slow paced and boring the story can be at times. And not with the constantly reused grating opening theme, and the decent but overused to the point of parody OST. It's good, that's about it. 10/10 though? Not even close.
Oni_ZokuchouFeb 3, 2021 7:51 AM
Feb 3, 2021 7:54 AM
Jan 2017
StrawHatTitan said:

Might I ask how? Do it's high points really outweigh it's immense, boring bloat? I can't in good faith say they do, at least not to the point of making it the pinnacle of anime. It's a very mixed bag, like the whole show.
Feb 14, 2021 12:10 PM
Dec 2020
Only_Brad said:
The best character (Hisoka) barely gets any screentime. This series is at most 8/10 because of that.

what are you talking about hes in like 80 and some would consider him to be the fifth protaginst of the sieres
Feb 15, 2021 12:06 AM
Oct 2019
Oni_Zokuchou said:
StrawHatTitan said:

Might I ask how? Do it's high points really outweigh it's immense, boring bloat? I can't in good faith say they do, at least not to the point of making it the pinnacle of anime. It's a very mixed bag, like the whole show.

That arc is anime at it's worst. haha

It was long, slow, dumb, boring and a huge departure from what HxH was in the ~80 episodes prior. Over 40% of the entire series was devoted to that arc. It's as if the writer thought he was being super clever but wound up with nothing but garbage (see: The Emperor's New Clothes)

some of the fights towards the end were entertaining, but was the pay off worth the slog of episodes you had to get through before getting to those fights? Imo, no. Not at all

The arc was a net negative for me
Feb 15, 2021 6:17 AM

Jan 2020
it's not a 10/10, theres alot of flaws with hxh but atleast its a fun anime. probably the most easily rewatchable series imo (excluding chimera ant and election), and that's coming from a guy who hates rewatching series
man.
Feb 15, 2021 1:13 PM

Nov 2019
It's actually a 5/10, definitely one of the most overrated shows in this site. Chimera Ant arc in particular is awful in every way possible and just plain insulting (except whenever Meruem is on screen).
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Feb 17, 2021 1:06 AM

Dec 2014
For me Gon as a character itself is OK, though there are 3 things I hate.
1. always want a win-win outcome and somehow always get it
2. if he unable to get it, then a sudden power up like adult Gon that is way way too OP
3. plot armor, when Gon on the verge of dying, he is able to 'reborn' without any 'permanent' side effect

These are what I hate the current generation of shounen manga/anime.

These things also happen on Naruto and Bleach, the same generation as HxH.

If they are continue on with these cliche, I am not gonna give them a high score.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Feb 19, 2021 1:57 AM

Dec 2013
I rated it 9/10 simply because Meruem was such a good character to follow, esp anyone who wants to write story with good character development and/or redempteion arc. Otherwise it's 8/10, not solid 8 even.
Feb 20, 2021 3:33 PM

Sep 2014
Roevhaal said:
It's not, it was good for battle shounen standards untill the Chimera Ant arc where it stops treating it's audience with respect. It's drawn out to no end and replaces the subtle nuance with conspicuousness to make sure not even infants could miss the psychological aspects. 2/10

Huntrash x Garbage is a 1/10, not a 2/10.
Feb 20, 2021 3:51 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Hrybami said:
Roevhaal said:

Chimera Ant is so intellectually insulting that a 1/10 would be well deserved, I'll likely promote 2011 to a 1/10 after watching 1999. I actually like Hunter Exam and Yorkshin though.
Feb 20, 2021 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
Roevhaal said:
Hrybami said:

Chimera Ant is so intellectually insulting that a 1/10 would be well deserved, I'll likely promote 2011 to a 1/10 after watching 1999. I actually like Hunter Exam and Yorkshin though.

1999 is a lot better than the 2011 version which makes the existence of the 2011 version even more pointless. Everything was better in the original including the lack of the worst arc ever created.
Feb 22, 2021 1:09 AM
Feb 2015
I personally have it as a 5, maybe because i had seen a lot animes before watching it ? Because i had rly high expectations which the show did not meet? Did i get falsly overhyped before watching it? Idk .Subjective matter i guess but i was srsly disappointed by the show, i wish i enjoyed it like most of you did.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Jan 19, 2013

124 by Nerdason »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Jan 12, 2013

135 by Nerdason »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 61 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Evanjs - Jan 5, 2013

134 by Nerdason »»
4 hours ago

» Seinen Disguised As a Shonen ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

wubikro - Mar 7, 2014

218 by hexigoon »»
Yesterday, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

fishergirl16 - Feb 18, 2012

264 by jotasui »»
Yesterday, 12:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.