Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Yuugai Toshi Chapter 17 Discussion

Oct 22, 2018 3:20 PM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Another decent volume. Ending felt semi-open, but it's not like I expected main character to save the world of manga or anything, that definitely wouldn't feel realistic or satisfying either. There is some hope for the future, but it's left for other authors to decide whether and how they'll fight the system.

My only problem with this short series is that this story is set in a very close future, and I'm really doubtful that law enforcing censorship in such a huge scale could be created anytime soon. I can imagine government trying to enforce something like that, but in this manga most people seem to be totally cool with that, like most of them (excluding people in the business, like mangakas or editors) don't care about part of their freedom being taken away. I'm sure SOME people wouldn't care, hell, I'm sure there are people who'd love to censor or get rid of "harmful" stories, but what about rest of the readers? And the rest of the world? I'm convinced there would be all kinds of protests going on.

Maybe it's just me, but I really can't believe something like that could happen so soon, especially with Internet being such an important part of our lives. Maybe if Poison City was set 15-20 more years in the future I'd be more willing to buy it?

I really enjoyed how MC's manga corresponded with the plot of the main story though!
And I still can't believe I just bought manga series with characters wearing gas masks on the covers, and somehow it turned out to be a story about mangaka fighting the unjust system of strict censorship. What the heck? 7.5/10