Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 21, 2018 4:12 AM

Mar 2018
Now tbh I don't really have much to defend my argument. First thing I wanna make clear is that by overrated I mean its rating on MAL and not popularity.

It's a geniunely good shounen which has learned from its predecessor's mistakes (older shounens like the big 3 and other popular ones) and learned to adapt the good stuff. But it doesn't do anything unique on its own so I think the ratings are a bit too high. It definitely deserves a 8+ but imho nothing more than 8.30.

Yet all 3 seasons have pretty high rating. (season 1 - 8.43, season 2 and 3 - 8.73)
It doesn't do justice to shows that are definitely unique and better yet have a lower rating.
Oct 21, 2018 4:55 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Oh no another one of THESE threads.

As someone who is in a constant toss and turn with how the anime adapts the manga, it's fine, and for S1 and S2 it's pretty near flawless. There's only slight nit picks. S3 is high because it has the biggest events in the story and yes hype of two previous seasons. I don't think it's undeserved.

And saying BNHA isn't unique is kinda a meh argument. It obviously does so much with it's setting and takes the superhero genre and turns it on it's head. But because it's a shounen action it has to be marked down points.

Come back with a better argument I guess. Or read the manga to have this complaint on the anime score.
Oct 21, 2018 4:36 PM

Jun 2015
Personally I don't think there's such as a thing as an overrated show. I don't give scores based on all the little technical elements, I just give one solid number simply based on my level of enjoyment. You say it doesn't do anything unique but so what? Almost no show is unique and original any more. If people give it high scores because they like the show, then does it really matter?
Jan 7, 2019 8:40 AM
Jan 2018
Scooty-Bby said:
Personally I don't think there's such as a thing as an overrated show. I don't give scores based on all the little technical elements, I just give one solid number simply based on my level of enjoyment. You say it doesn't do anything unique but so what? Almost no show is unique and original any more. If people give it high scores because they like the show, then does it really matter?
I agree on you about that.

But as for me I didn't really like it as much, but what I don't like is how the fanbase just keeps on going about it ultimately being superior towards every other animes. I believe it is a great anime to start with but the fanbase is irritating on how they judge things they haven't even watched. Anyways back to my point, I don't like how their powers work, yes there are some that were well explained like the Todoroki's power or others but there are some that aren't. One of the best examples are Froppy and that dolphin girl(I forgot the name). To be honest aren't they basically just "I was born as a human closely related to animals and that is my quirk"? Yes all of their abilities were created due to some weird baby modifying their genes allowing them to be able to do supernatural abilities but being born as a frog human and calling it a super power is just eh. Maybe it could've just been something else like transforming into one, but if you're going to use the same concept as Froppy you can say you have a quirk because you're born (insert race). I've only watched till halfway of season 2 and that's what I can say.
Jan 7, 2019 8:43 AM

Jan 2009
it shows how new you are here on MAL lol

scores here on MAL tend to go down as time passes by dude so just wait a few years

for example back in 2007

degJan 7, 2019 8:48 AM
Jan 7, 2019 8:44 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe it is, but isn't that subjective though?
Jan 7, 2019 9:09 AM
Jan 2018
Yes, I just saw how I kinda strayed of the topic regarding it being overrated but anyways I am new indeed. I've only joined just recently probably some 6 months or so, and this is my first time being in a forum.

But if this is a topic about it being overrated I believe the use of ideas like it being copies of other anime may be justified @stripes. Although your statement regarding about cliche doesn't mean it's bad is actually quite a solid one.The main idea of something being overrated can already be seen on the word itself. I think there could've been other animes that deserved it's spot more but just didn't get much attention.To put it we can compare it with other anime with the same main idea of a character becoming what he wants to become and the part of the world that prevents him from becoming so like Naruto or others. One other great anime that have shown the same idea and have portrayed it well for me is Danganronpa Despair arc. With Deku wanting to become something like a hero or some sort to society is something most people feel everyday. But they've failed to show how to deal with it or anything, rather they had just shown it to me a matter of luck that Deku got the attention of the best hero to make him a hero himself. The character that had that characteristic as well was Hinata Hajime, he was shown to be your typical untalented person who wishes to atleast become something. They share quite the same ideal, we can think of "Hope's Peak Acadamy" as the hero organization. Hajime has always looked up upon those with talents, seeing them as heroes or people who just deserve to be treated as special beings. This has become the main reason for his will on trying to become one. He had that instant where he met a talented person Chiaki Nanami, but he different things in mind unlike how Deku felt. His moves on asking "Would you still enjoy playing video games even if you lack the talent" was one of the most realistic ones I've seen. He may have been quite lucky in the middle on being experimented but he still traded his memories for it. The exact thing he was told by the person he admired as something greater than talent. To him, he just saw himself as probably that rock that happened to be beside a diamond(these are my own words regarding his experience) leaving him ashamed of himself. He had one idea in his mind, if he couldn't become talented he may at the least be superior to normal people. I don't think it should be Danganronpa that deserved it, but what I'm saying is that it isn't just the anime that had deserved it, there are hundreds out there that should've been given that spot on the top 50s but couldn't due to their lack of fan base. Anyways, despite it having the same concepts as other animes similar to it, there is quite a huge gap, yes I've heard of ratings going down soon and probably in the future it would be called overrated by the old watchers but this is about it being overrated at the moment.
AzuliceJan 7, 2019 10:14 AM
Jan 7, 2019 9:45 AM
Jan 2018
The plot of BnHA is obviously a copy of multiple series with the mix of western comics but anyways what I also think are overrated are their characters. They're boring with not much of anything that makes them special or some sort. Although I believe Deku may become slightly special due to his complex personality with lots of flaws. Deku's personality is quite questionable and confusing, yes you don't have to have courage to speak to girls to be a hero but that's not really the one I'm going to be talking about. Him not being scared of death yet is scared of not being able to do something makes me question his ego. Maybe to him being something to society is everything and that is what people is trying to relate to within him, but his lack of fear in certain cases is just something. He does fear sometimes like on the second episode of the first season but that for the sake of the comedy, his fear of All for One was rather to just show that particular villain was of something. This is an idea always used in other animes where they would break the will of character with a strong will just to show how strong a villain is. Bakugou on the other hand was the annoying rival character we always see. He's literally just an exagerated version of Sasuke with his rivalry. You don't really need to have much of a reason to be rivalry or compare yourself so I can't really say much about Bakugou but he's simply the most unrealistic character out there. The next one would probably be the Sticky hair guy, his character is stupid, especially with the fact he got to the best hero class. I believe he just exist for comedic reasons, maybe he could've been in the other class instead. But I don't he should be in that class. I think the only reason he got into the class was because of the schools stupid system on their exam, just because you can take down a robot doesn't mean you can instantly become a hero. His abilities may be used for utility but it becomes useless either ways as he himself has no power to control it anyways. I believe that the art isn't as great as other animes, but Deku's design really fits his awkward personality.
Jan 7, 2019 4:17 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
@Azulice. You know I was tempted to rebuttal all your points but I've commented on people similar to you, who just bum rush the story kinda just to get it out of the way. Can't really change the mind of someone who isn't willing to appreciate the story and am not willing to write 3 paragraphs worth my time.

But I did lol at your "unrealistic bakugou" and how he's like Sasuke cause he's really, really, really not. But okay.
Jan 7, 2019 5:45 PM
Jan 2018
I just realize my statement regarding their character was ironic. I've strayed of from the main topic of it, and just ended trying to put the characters as bad and stuff.
Jan 20, 2019 6:07 AM
Dec 2017
i very much agree. and there is to much my hero acedemia like 4 seasons in 4 years that is too much like take a year break and make a really good plot for the next season.
Life is just a Joke where we all laugh at
Jan 22, 2019 3:21 AM
Jul 2018
No one fucking cares! Many things are overrated so deal with it!
Mar 5, 2020 12:51 PM
Dec 2017
I actually have similar opinion with you thou not entirely. Some people might think you're just babbling out words without trying appreciate or understanding more about the story but I know you're not. Bcs I think BNHA is overrated in some way but I also hope it will have a good future bcs it has a lot of potentials from its characters and story. Just want to say, the best season of BNHA for me is the 1st season haha
Mar 5, 2020 3:37 PM
Feb 2017
Nick-Knight said:
"Overrated" is a dumb word to use. It's just straight-up garbage.

No u. SAO in favorites OMEGALUL haha you loser lmaoooooooooo get dabbed on kid.
Mar 10, 2020 7:13 AM

Nov 2019
I mean its okay. Its just the big battle shonen of its day. It stands out now cause like superheroes so how could that ever not be popular but honestly when it ends I don't see people 10 years down the road looking back on it as some modern marvel. Also by then the fanbase will cool down but I also do think its gets overly bashed simply for being popular as well as overly defended from nearly any valid criticism that dare stain its reputation. I'd say an overall score anywhere from 7-8 ball park is more than fair. I wouldn't say its over hyped its just that it is airing still so we have to deal with the hype for now which they have the right to be hyped for things they like and its not like its writing is awful or anything so over rated I would not say so.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Mar 14, 2020 10:27 AM

Nov 2015
Yes it is.
and it’s about to surpass Naruto in popularity on MAL
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Nov 24, 2022 12:26 AM
Oct 2021
Very overrated. Its basically not a good series yet I wonder how did they have bustling amount of merchandise. Plus, the trio of Mha is super overrated, even overrated than the slayer trio of Demon Slayer. And Hawks, that shitty bird who killed Twice still has horrendous amount of merchandise, how?!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

436 by His0kaDevv »»
Apr 11, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

403 by Esu_Kei »»
Apr 10, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

332 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 21, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

276 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 18, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

294 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 16, 8:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.