Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2018 6:58 AM

Dec 2015
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The finale ! What an uneventful conclusion after some interesting chapters. It's like the manga just ran out of gas.

3/5

Overall:
3-4 years in the life of a young ESPer who loves a girl but likes to have a secured girlfriend. It's both too long when nothing really happens (or rather everythin keeps repeating itself) and long enough to come to like many of those c haracters without noticing it.
The manga delivered several pretty good stories and some nice moments, the drawings gradually improved (the "pin-up" illustrations too), but it's obvious there was no roadmap, especially in the later tomes when you see a wave of new characters being introduced just to trigger one or two events and be almost inactive after that (when they're in the same school/classroom).

Score: 6.5+/10

February 3, 2019
@ashketchum615 Yes, I didn't find the end rrally bad, just kind of... "here".
I guess I was spoiled by the high quality of the theatrical finale. ^^"

February 23, 2022
0451 said:
Unlike the anime, it had real continuity of the characters moving on to different grades which was cool to see. There were so many cut chapters and characters.

It should be noted that the anime actually progressed "in real time" during its one year original broadcast to preserve that aspect of the manga (that's also why they cherrypicked scenari within the pool available at the time). I appreciated that decision, as it makes the whole thing Ayukawa/hikaru thing feel less stupidly long. Another good thing with the TV series is that its episodic style goes quite well with school and teenagers life.
(By the way, this adaptation decision makes all the characters have different ages in the two formats, or sometimes between the two versions of a same episodic story.)

Anyways I feel a bit sad now for saying goodbye to KOR twice. But I think I'll be over it in no time.

How sad... Orange Road has always stayed with me. ^^
(Maybe you could lengthen the experience with the three novels fusing the manga and anime continuities. The first one is decent (but gave a rather poor movie) and the two other ones are more anecdotal.
Rei_IIIFeb 23, 2022 11:05 AM
Feb 2, 2019 4:03 AM
Oct 2012
Yea I liked the manga but you’re so right about all the meandering plots and random characters thrown in. Like that childhood friend amounted to pretty much nothing. Akane’s resolution boiled down to nothing. I had to take a break about halfway through cuz I got annoyed with the constant plot recycling back in the 70s lol and that’s beforw hypnosis was a big thing. But I personally found the ending pretty when it came to the three main characters. Outside of them, I was left wanting to know the outcomes of some of the other plots.
Rating 7/10
Jul 15, 2020 4:51 PM

Apr 2016
It was a good read. It sure felt so nostalgic, it’s been years since I was watching the anime on TV.
Feb 22, 2022 11:29 PM

Jan 2018
The last chapter was very good. So this chapter comes off disappointingly short. Such a shame cause I was considering it to be on the same level as the movie but it's clear the movie is far better.

I really enjoyed KOR manga as a whole. It's better than the anime in a lot of ways. The manga felt more episodic at the beginning like the anime. But then unlike the anime, it had real continuity of the characters moving on to different grades which was cool to see. There were so many cut chapters and characters. Like @TJQ15 says the most disappointing part was that some of the characters were left out like the tomboy childhood friend. But at least the story stayed as a love triangle instead of turning into a harem like so many modern romcoms tend to do.

If the rumour of the series getting axed is true then it explains why the ending has a sort of rushed feeling. Can anyone clarify that?

Anyways I feel a bit sad now for saying goodbye to KOR twice. But I think I'll be over it in no time.
Feb 23, 2022 9:26 PM

Jan 2018
Rei_III said:
February 23, 2022
0451 said:
Unlike the anime, it had real continuity of the characters moving on to different grades which was cool to see. There were so many cut chapters and characters.

It should be noted that the anime actually progressed "in real time" during its one year original broadcast to preserve that aspect of the manga (that's also why they cherrypicked scenari within the pool available at the time). I appreciated that decision, as it makes the whole thing Ayukawa/hikaru thing feel less stupidly long. Another good thing with the TV series is that its episodic style goes quite well with school and teenagers life.
(By the way, this adaptation decision makes all the characters have different ages in the two formats, or sometimes between the two versions of a same episodic story.)
Is that so? Well, I'm not a fan of this decision. It creates continuity errors with the OVAs and movies. In one of the OVAs Kyosuke was 17 and in the movie he's trying to get admitted into college. So it means the relationship with both Hikaru and Madoka still lasted around 3 years like in the manga.
Rei_III said:

How sad... Orange Road has always stayed with me. ^^
(Maybe you could lengthen the experience with the three novels fusing the manga and anime continuities. The first one is decent (but gave a rather poor movie) and the two other ones are more anecdotal.
I'll read the last two novels eventually. I just need to find the right mood (and time).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimagure Orange☆Road Chapter 158 Discussion

blessofcurse - Aug 2, 2015

3 by 0451 »»
Feb 22, 2022 11:24 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange☆Road Chapter 155 Discussion

Rei_III - Aug 29, 2018

1 by 0451 »»
Feb 22, 2022 11:21 PM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange☆Road Chapter 8 Discussion

Rei_III - Mar 25, 2018

1 by 0451 »»
Jan 23, 2022 11:47 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange☆Road Chapter 7 Discussion

Catalano - Oct 1, 2019

0 by Catalano »»
Oct 1, 2019 11:13 AM

Poll: » Kimagure Orange☆Road Chapter 6 Discussion

Catalano - Oct 1, 2019

0 by Catalano »»
Oct 1, 2019 11:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.