Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2018 3:51 AM

Aug 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, I'm really late to Astro Boy but I've seen there are litte to no episode discussions for this! I'll add more the more I watch! Maybe someone will join me *wink wink*

I'd say it was a very nice start to kick off the 80s version. Haven't seen the original but this one has a very lovely note to it. Like when Toby told his dog to keep quiet and he stopped his tail from waving. Adorable. It's a surprisingly tragic start to kick off. I felt sorry for Dr. Tenma but I can empathize that he wants to replicate Toby with Astro Boy.
ViltasMay 27, 2018 4:46 AM
May 28, 2019 1:49 PM

Aug 2018
For being a kids show I'm surprised how dark and violent and it has been so far but I suppose that is a product of having been made in the 80's, particularly given that it is in the sci-fi genre.

But what took me aback the most is how intelligent it has been, exploring such provocative themes as the nature of grief, the dangers of technological advancement as a soulless enterprise and even the meaning of the self and the nature of sentience (something which I would have scoffed at had someone told me prior to watching it myself). Now it of course does not take any of these themes particularly seriously given that it's a kids show (something which the series pokes fun at during one particularly effective fourth wall break towards the beginning of the episode) but the fact that the themes exist at all is something to be admired. And while it is predictable and generic in some respects it still stands out to me as an exceptional start to a series which I hope will be able to sustain the level of creativity and thoughtfulness on display in this the first episode.
Mar 4, 2020 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
The Anime, so far, is exploring morally thought-provoking themes and presented in a kiddy manner. The show is aiming towards the children, but the mature ideas presented so far are hidden and sprinkled about here and there. I think it is quite impressive for a kids' show to manage this kind of thing.

I sympathize with Tenma, I do. Losing a son is pure tragic for a lovable parent. That said, I don't fault him for resorting to building an advanced robot based on his deceased son. But having a powerful sentient robot with high-tech military weapons running around isn't what I would call ideal. Many would use Astro for their gain. The sensible thing to do would be to train this intelligent robot in the ways of humans, most importantly, how to act natural, and how to hold back his strength. Having Astro boy accompanying you to a high-class diner filled with snob people where it is obvious at that point and time he still hasn't come to terms with his natural strength and his social ineptitude is nothing short of recklessness. What was Tenma thinking? He should have made a training regime for Astro or sought the help of others if he lacks the knowledge in this department, instead of complaining all the time to avoid these kinds of accidents. So much for a genius scientist.
May 16, 2023 1:02 AM
Oct 2018
I've just finished the 1963 show, and decided to start watching this 1980 version. Since this is just the first episode, I can't really compare the two just yet, but I'd like to point out some things from this episode that caught my attention. 

To start off, the English voice acting is atrocious in this one, compared to the mediocre to good voice acting in the original. Most of the lines sound tone death and phoned in, especially the captain of the ship. He sounds like a teenager reading lines, instead of the gruff middle aged overweight captain of a ship. The 1963 voice cast were at least tolerable, but I question whether or not I can continue watching the Dub or instead switch to Sub. 

Second, I don't understand why Astro Boy can shoot beams from his hands. Why add this? I know it sounds like a nitpick, but if he can shoot beams, then why bother punching or hitting anything? The 1963 version didn't have them, and I think it was better for it.

Third, I do like the general aesthetic that this show has over the original, it does feel more futuristic compared to the 1963 one, but it does also feel very 80's if that makes any sense.

Lastly, the scene where Dr Tenma is stretching Astro Boys' skin over his body almost made me retch, and I don't know why. Felt very morbid for some reason. The show in general feels a lot more violent and dark compared to the 1963 version. I don't know whether or not I like it. It is the first episode after all.

A few more minor things: Why didn't the dog go with Tobi in the car? What was that beeping that Astro Boy was experiencing? Why did it suddenly go away? Why did the tank suddenly go haywire? Where are all the other robots? Idk. I really hope this show grows on me, because I absolutely loved the 1963 show. But like I said, it is only the first episode.

Edit: Apparently the first English episode is actually a combination of the first two episodes of the Japanese version into one. It cut out a lot of content from the two episodes and presents it as "The Birth of Astro Boy". Having watched the first episode, but Subbed, I can now understand why Astro was beeping. What a mess this all is so far. I think I'll watch the show subbed from now on.
MoblinGoblinMay 16, 2023 1:34 AM
Nov 14, 2023 6:56 PM

Oct 2023
I figured there'd be many more posts for this.

Having only ever seen the 2009 movie as a young boy, I can't believe how much is able to be done with these concepts in one episode alone. The striking imagery and natural character writing come together for a very compelling introduction to this story. Of course, the dramatics and overall tone sell a lot of it too. Being able to go from sad, to humorous, to triumphant, to thrilling, etcetera. I very much appreciate how this all plays into Atom's miraculous strength. It gives us a very genuine and appropriate feeling of childishness, considering our protagonist and his age.

This is clearly going to be a very rich experience.
PlasticRobotNov 14, 2023 7:24 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tetsuwan Atom (1980) Episode 5 Discussion

MoblinGoblin - May 19, 2023

1 by PlasticRobot »»
Nov 17, 2023 7:43 AM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Atom (1980) Episode 4 Discussion

PlasticRobot - Nov 15, 2023

0 by PlasticRobot »»
Nov 15, 2023 9:15 AM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Atom (1980) Episode 52 Discussion

MoblinGoblin - Jun 12, 2023

0 by MoblinGoblin »»
Jun 12, 2023 7:56 PM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Atom (1980) Episode 51 Discussion

0 by MoblinGoblin »»
Jun 12, 2023 7:09 PM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Atom (1980) Episode 50 Discussion

0 by MoblinGoblin »»
Jun 12, 2023 6:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.