Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 12, 2018 6:18 PM

Jun 2013
Just started watching LoGH (2018), because I like those SciFi/Cyberspace/Military things and I wonder if it's worth watching the old series, since I heard that some interesting parts were cut in the adaptation...
May 13, 2018 12:51 AM

Nov 2016
If you want the full details on everything, read the novel. All other versions of LotGH had inevitably had to cut details out. The new series has had less details in some areas (Iserlohn, Phezzan) but more in others (Yang’s backstory and his 13th fleet crew). But yes you should also watch the OVA because 1) it’s great 2) it does things quite a bit differently especially during the first novel, eps 1-16 and 3) you’ll probably want to anyway as this new series will only adapt the first novel this year and the 2nd next year. You can wait until the current season finishes though.
May 13, 2018 3:56 PM

Feb 2013
Why not just try it? :)

There are two movies you can check out first:

1. My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars

This is an hour long prequel/pilot for the OVA series.

2. Overture to a New War

This is a much more detailed and better version of the first 2 episodes and great introduction to the series. If you watch this, you can skip the first 2 episodes of the OVA.

After watching these, you will know for sure whether you want to take the plunge into the 110 episodes.
May 13, 2018 5:04 PM

Oct 2017
I started watching the original after seeing the first episode of the remake there are a few scenes cut or just changed but nothing that drastically changes the story but its been pretty faithful so far in my opinion. There are a few episodes though I know they will cut from the OVA as they weren't in the book apparently which is too bad since I liked those episodes but the arch they are related to hasn't come up yet.

I would watch the original though since we are only guaranteed for it to adapt the first 26 episodes (the first 16 being adapted in this season) and the fact even if they do adapt it a full adaptation would take many years I would just watch the original now.
BilboBaggins365May 13, 2018 5:08 PM
May 13, 2018 9:10 PM
Oct 2016
I watched the original series about a year or two ago. It's not hard to get into and it covers the same stuff plus more. I had my doubts about the reboot but watched the 6 available episodes today and there is a couple of things they do "better" a lot of things they do different, and more than a couple of things they do worse.

With the exception of yang - I feel they do better character building around the others- but a lot of me picking that up is because I already know their history and importance. Kircheis is definitely characterized better in the reboot than the orginal - but not to a huge degree (original kircheis wasn't portrayed poorly).

Do far the new story has hit all the major plot points up to now and I can see where they will cut fat/

all of that said - I still think the original is better for a few important points. First, Yang's chracter design in the orignal was better so was his Voice actor (new one isn't bad). He feels way more fleshed out and they've been skipping some of his key character attributes for time. Chiefly how he is a reluctant leader. They touch on it some in the new show - but don't emphasis it at all to a detriment.

The animation is inferior, ironically enough. Both the space battles and general animation are inferior and are largely "crunch time" shortcuts. While the cGI might "help" some aspects of the space battles- you lose the scale significantly. New one might portray hundreds of ships, old one portrayed thousands even if the did so at a distance. The action is also inferior so far - with the screen being a busy mess and the federation's ship designs such, (so does the empire but not as badly). Ship design in the original was much better.

It's a lot of little things. New series is better than I expected it to be - but still an inferior product on a whole - but not to a huge degree. Old one has it's jankyness in places but the animation is more fluid, consistent (you don't have episodes filled with 3 frame talking animations) and much more dynamic. Space battle scope and scale was better in original.

----

Now, to answer your question "Shoudl I watch the original?" If you can spare the time, definitely. After a few episodes you will lose yourself in the animation style and not be bothered by it. Also the series is done so there is no waiting for the ??(22?) episodes + 3 movies.

That's my opinion -however- I'm not going to be yelling at anyone to not watch the reboot or to force themselves to watch the original - it's their gain/loss and I can't be assed to argue with them.
May 16, 2018 6:29 AM

May 2012
The new one is much better in my opinion. Better/modern visuals, better voices

The original one feels too slow and boring. The way character talk is so lifeless, and boring. I often felt like I wanted to sleep when I watched the original

May 16, 2018 6:43 PM

Oct 2008
I would highly recommend watching the original OVA. I'm enjoying the remake, but it's more of a quick summary of the first novel while the original OVA expands greatly on the story and individual characters. The original also covers the whole novel series, so if you want to see where the story goes beyond what we'll get from Die Neue These, then the OVA does a great job animating the remaining story and lots more.
May 16, 2018 7:14 PM

Jan 2011
if you like this new version an what to know more about Reinhard, Yang, the Empire an the Free Planets Alliance then sure youll like it

also remember that this series wont have a proper conclusion but the old version has a proper ending
May 16, 2018 8:31 PM

Dec 2016
The adaptation is actually pretty good and hasn't left out anything important that I can recall up until this point. I'd still watch the original if I were you because at some point they're bound to cut out some things, though. I seriously doubt they're going to have 110 episodes in this remake like the OVA did (and even if they do, you're going to be waiting for years for it to finish).

What's the difference?
May 25, 2018 2:27 AM

May 2010
Of course you should watch the original series! It's an absolutely amazing piece of anime, a very nice and thorough adaptation of the novel (although I have read 5/10 volumes so far). It is made and played in an extremely good way, with the solid characters development and everything that plot has to offer. I my opinion you can't even compare the new adaptation to the old one. I strongly recommend you watch the OVA :)
Jan 10, 2019 9:19 AM

Jun 2014
clio_selene said:
Of course you should watch the original series! It's an absolutely amazing piece of anime, a very nice and thorough adaptation of the novel (although I have read 5/10 volumes so far). It is made and played in an extremely good way, with the solid characters development and everything that plot has to offer. I my opinion you can't even compare the new adaptation to the old one. I strongly recommend you watch the OVA :)

I am looking for some mindblowing tactic. I did not see any in the new adaptation. How about the old one with 100 episodes?
Jan 10, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2010
GrimorumInvoke said:
I am looking for some mindblowing tactic. I did not see any in the new adaptation. How about the old one with 100 episodes?

Well, as my friend said, "In original series Reinhard is really a genius and you understand why they call him one; in the new one, he is simply a cool bish who doesn't really do anything." You should definitely watch the original OAV series.
Jan 23, 2019 10:55 PM

Jun 2009
Yes. It is better in every way, except for art/animation (obviously). Even then, these new character designs are questionable.
Mar 11, 2019 1:19 AM

Nov 2013
The old series is the more faithful adaptation (especially the character design where characters actually look their age and not as teen bishounen), has much fitting soundtrack and obviously covers larger portion of the story (all of it).

First few episodes might have a bit slower pacing though,, so keep that in mind.
You all need to watch Nami.

Mar 16, 2019 9:41 AM
Aug 2017
Hamakami said:
I watched the original series about a year or two ago. It's not hard to get into and it covers the same stuff plus more. I had my doubts about the reboot but watched the 6 available episodes today and there is a couple of things they do "better" a lot of things they do different, and more than a couple of things they do worse.

With the exception of yang - I feel they do better character building around the others- but a lot of me picking that up is because I already know their history and importance. Kircheis is definitely characterized better in the reboot than the orginal - but not to a huge degree (original kircheis wasn't portrayed poorly).

Do far the new story has hit all the major plot points up to now and I can see where they will cut fat/

all of that said - I still think the original is better for a few important points. First, Yang's chracter design in the orignal was better so was his Voice actor (new one isn't bad). He feels way more fleshed out and they've been skipping some of his key character attributes for time. Chiefly how he is a reluctant leader. They touch on it some in the new show - but don't emphasis it at all to a detriment.

The animation is inferior, ironically enough. Both the space battles and general animation are inferior and are largely "crunch time" shortcuts. While the cGI might "help" some aspects of the space battles- you lose the scale significantly. New one might portray hundreds of ships, old one portrayed thousands even if the did so at a distance. The action is also inferior so far - with the screen being a busy mess and the federation's ship designs such, (so does the empire but not as badly). Ship design in the original was much better.

It's a lot of little things. New series is better than I expected it to be - but still an inferior product on a whole - but not to a huge degree. Old one has it's jankyness in places but the animation is more fluid, consistent (you don't have episodes filled with 3 frame talking animations) and much more dynamic. Space battle scope and scale was better in original.

----

Now, to answer your question "Shoudl I watch the original?" If you can spare the time, definitely. After a few episodes you will lose yourself in the animation style and not be bothered by it. Also the series is done so there is no waiting for the ??(22?) episodes + 3 movies.

That's my opinion -however- I'm not going to be yelling at anyone to not watch the reboot or to force themselves to watch the original - it's their gain/loss and I can't be assed to argue with them.

I guess I'll check out the original!
Jun 12, 2021 3:53 AM
Nov 2019
Hamakami said:

----

In short, do they have significant changes in STORY???
Jun 12, 2021 3:57 AM
Nov 2019
Daemon said:
The adaptation is actually pretty good and hasn't left out anything important that I can recall up until this point. I'd still watch the original if I were you because at some point they're bound to cut out some things, though. I seriously doubt they're going to have 110 episodes in this remake like the OVA did (and even if they do, you're going to be waiting for years for it to finish).

Your comment was regarding "at this point"
What about now? Did you continue watching the reboot. If so then what's your impression of first 24episodes of reboot in comparison with old one?
Jun 12, 2021 4:00 AM
Nov 2019
clio_selene said:

Is there any significant change in the story though?
Jun 12, 2021 4:00 AM
Nov 2019
clio_selene said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

Well, as my friend said, "In original series Reinhard is really a genius and you understand why they call him one; in the new one, he is simply a cool bish who doesn't really do anything." You should definitely watch the original OAV series.

Any significant changes in story???
Jun 14, 2021 9:03 PM
Oct 2016
DoctoRojack said:
Hamakami said:

----

In short, yes.

They truncate a lot of it for time and only hit major plot points while cutting out minor plot points which also cuts out a significant amount of characterization.

If all you care about are the major plot beats read a synopsis and be just as content.
Jun 16, 2021 1:30 AM
Nov 2019
Hamakami said:
DoctoRojack said:

In short, yes.

They truncate a lot of it for time and only hit major plot points while cutting out minor plot points which also cuts out a significant amount of characterization.

If all you care about are the major plot beats read a synopsis and be just as content.

Btw do tell me how many episodes of reboot you've watched first. Because that's relevant to the credibility of your statements. When I meant major ones of story, I didn't only mean plot points. I also meant major ones contributing to characterization. If reading synopsis the thing what I was looking for then wouldn't have bothered to ask about it in a discussion thread anyway.
Sep 14, 2021 12:23 PM
Aug 2018
Hamakami said:

I agree here.

I agree with the points on Yang's character but the voice acting for Yang is better in The New Thesis. It's also just better voice acting for all characters.

I disagree about the animation part. The new one is far superior, especially in space battles. In my opinion, the scale of the battles was better portrayed in The New Thesis. The character animation is also better (old art style was better though). I think the ship design in The New Thesis is quite interesting, but I agree that the old designs were better.

----

Just responded to a few things.
Oct 1, 2021 9:17 AM
Dec 2019
Speaking as someone who holds the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA to be his favorite anime of all time, I don't think the remake quite does it justice. I had a very difficult time getting past the first season of the original LoGH, simply because it takes so incredibly long for things to start moving. By episode 15, though, and onwards for the remainder of the series, the show is absolute gold. Unfortunate for Die Neue These, the first season only covers that initial trough of episodes 1-16 of the OVA, and season 2 covers the remainder of the first season. It has only just barely gotten to where the original series started to shine. I think that on a storytelling level, the remake does an inferior job, since it seems to mistake sometimes what is bad and what is good about the novels and the OVA, and it trims both in similar quantities. On a technical level, it just doesn't capture the antique charm of the original show - the soundtrack replaces the classical pieces and orchestral original tracks with average jpop and the most generic anime score I've ever heard, and while the hand animated ship battles sometimes suffered from technical problems, I much prefer them to this cheap looking 3D cgi. The new show overall just has a different vibe, and in my opinion it's a worse vibe. Combine that with the fact that the story is not told as well and they've only adapted the very beginning of it, and you really have no reason to watch this show over the original. If you're scrolling through Crunchyroll and want to fill your time with a fairly average military sci-fi, then you might as well watch Die Neue These. If you want to see what the peak of anime looks like and you have a sliver of patience, then you need to watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA.
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

Aug 2008
Reply to jlb10333
Speaking as someone who holds the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA to be his favorite anime of all time, I don't think the remake quite does it justice. I had a very difficult time getting past the first season of the original LoGH, simply because it takes so incredibly long for things to start moving. By episode 15, though, and onwards for the remainder of the series, the show is absolute gold. Unfortunate for Die Neue These, the first season only covers that initial trough of episodes 1-16 of the OVA, and season 2 covers the remainder of the first season. It has only just barely gotten to where the original series started to shine. I think that on a storytelling level, the remake does an inferior job, since it seems to mistake sometimes what is bad and what is good about the novels and the OVA, and it trims both in similar quantities. On a technical level, it just doesn't capture the antique charm of the original show - the soundtrack replaces the classical pieces and orchestral original tracks with average jpop and the most generic anime score I've ever heard, and while the hand animated ship battles sometimes suffered from technical problems, I much prefer them to this cheap looking 3D cgi. The new show overall just has a different vibe, and in my opinion it's a worse vibe. Combine that with the fact that the story is not told as well and they've only adapted the very beginning of it, and you really have no reason to watch this show over the original. If you're scrolling through Crunchyroll and want to fill your time with a fairly average military sci-fi, then you might as well watch Die Neue These. If you want to see what the peak of anime looks like and you have a sliver of patience, then you need to watch the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA.
@jlb10333 Thanks, I'm gonna trust you.

More topics from this board

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 9 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

9 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 10:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.