Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray and DVD Rankings for Apr 23 - 29

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 1, 2018 9:32 PM

Nov 2007
@ChocoBar9: Everything you are saying took a huge slap on the face the moment you said 400K copies for a manga is not impressive. I doubt there is any point arguing with you on the topic since you are talking nonsense here.

Regardless, no one is saying Darli-fra took the roof off with the numbers. It's still higher than stalkers' earlier predictions and if you think 5.9K isn't pretty good, you are in complete denial. Also, bringing about discussion of a couple of anime originals don't help. We know that there are occasional spikes in 2-3 anime out of say 120+ anime that gets released every year which are usually idol based or marketed towards fujoshi fandom and not necessarily mean they are excellent shows.

@RobertBobert: It's nothing new. For the record, it happened only once in the last 5 years (20 seasons) since I started tracking japanese sites (anikore, 2ch etc.) vs. non-japanese/western sites (MAL, animesuki etc.) that the most revered top three new anime of the season (sora yori, violet evergarden, yuru camp) were the same in both places AND backed by sales numbers. It's that rare.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 1, 2018 9:41 PM

Apr 2012
@shanimebib Wow, is this taking into account idols or not? I've heard that such an anime is very popular on the tumbler for "some" reasons.... but I do not know how much these shows are popular in the west in general.

May 1, 2018 10:18 PM

Nov 2007
RobertBobert said:
@shanimebib Wow, is this taking into account idols or not? I've heard that such an anime is very popular on the tumbler for "some" reasons.... but I do not know how much these shows are popular in the west in general.

Note that idol anime fans/fujoshi fandom are more active in their own dedicated fansites and they don't usually frequent more prominent sites where they have fans of all sorts of anime. For an example, IDOLiSH7 from last season had 1/20th of followers of Violet Evergarden, the most followed anime from last season in anikore, yet it sold way, way more than VE managed for volume 1.

In conclusion, disc sales are not the measure of popularity, nor the quality but one of the many indicators, albeit the main one that conveys the measure of how successful the anime had been from economical standpoint. There could be more people following an anime but they could be more casual followers than hardcore fans who would buy 2-3 copies of each and practically all of them doing the same whereas only a small segment of casual viewers only willing to spend money on anime that they only watch for fun and don't think their life depended on how much it sold in the market.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 1, 2018 10:35 PM

Apr 2012
shanimebib said:
RobertBobert said:

Note that idol anime fans/fujoshi fandom are more active in their own dedicated fansites and they don't usually frequent more prominent sites where they have fans of all sorts of anime. For an example, IDOLiSH7 from last season had 1/20th of followers of Violet Evergarden, the most followed anime from last season in anikore, yet it sold way, way more than VE managed for volume 1.

In conclusion, disc sales are not the measure of popularity, nor the quality but one of the many indicators, albeit the main one that conveys the measure of how successful the anime had been from economical standpoint. There could be more people following an anime but they could be more casual followers than hardcore fans who would buy 2-3 copies of each and practically all of them doing the same whereas only a small segment of casual viewers only willing to spend money on anime that they only watch for fun and don't think their life depended on how much it sold in the market.

Well, in my country idols are no more popular than another popular slice of life with moe girls. At least I often see a yuri fanart with Love Live, than an art with a real yuri, lol. But it was never so popular as any hyped shonen or seinen. So I was pretty surprised when one of the Russian sites reported that the sales of Love Live is higher than any hyped show.

May 2, 2018 4:26 AM

Mar 2015
ChocoBar9 said:
And according to Japanese sales numbers Franxxs sales are nothing to gawk about. I guess the loud and vocal fanbase was just a minority.

Nothing to gawk about, sure. But definitely nothing to deride either. I'd say these sales are at least decent. And let's not forget that this is only the first week's worth of sales we're talking about. I prefer not to make any judgements until at least week 2.

Full disclosure: I know nothing of Darli-Fra other than some basement dwellers got triggered by a certain episode, and I'd like it to remain that way.
DoubleMangekyoMay 2, 2018 10:14 AM
May 2, 2018 8:12 AM
Mar 2018
ChocoBar9 said:
dehuman said:

ye but it does not matter since legal online streaming rights is where the new profit today comes from and Discs (BD/DVD) sales are declining for years now

Why do people keep spouting this shit when there's literal no proof that the revenue made through streaming is even enough to sustain an animes profitability outside Japan? Its all worthless speculation made by people trying to justify their show underperforming. I also love people who go on about BD/DVD sales declining when last year had two original anime sell over 100k in BD sales one of which was a TV series now how does Franxx compare with? Its nit even the best selling original anime of the season either.

the manga of Darling in the FranXX is doing fine too
Darling in the FranXX manga has 400k copies in print!!
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarlingInTheFranxx/comments/8g7ure/darling_in_the_franxx_manga_has_400k_copies_in/

That is literally not impressive at all.
lol 400k for an original manga who came out 3 month ago is not impressive now
May 2, 2018 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
ChocoBar9 said:
DoubleMangekyo said:

Just because something is popular online doesn't mean people are gonna spend money on overpriced anime BDs.
Also, these memes you speak of are mainly made by western fans who, much like the opinions of ANN's reviewers, mean nothing when we're talking about Japanese sales numbers.

And according to Japanese sales numbers Franxxs sales are nothing to gawk about. I guess the loud and vocal fanbase was just a minority.

Nobody exactly boasted about the sales being extremely big tbh. In all fairness, the sales for Darli-Fra are at the very least decent for the first week or so. It's not so bad, but it's nowhere near to the point where the show marketing wise failed. It's in the middle.
May 2, 2018 2:49 PM
Mar 2018
I just thinking, how many BD/DVD sales of Darling in the FranXX if they remove those "Limited Edition"? xDDDD
May 2, 2018 10:25 PM
Nov 2017
Huyan said:
I just thinking, how many BD/DVD sales of Darling in the FranXX if they remove those "Limited Edition"? xDDDD
Huyan said:

There is only "Limited edition" http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/series/5123?term.shop=anime
There is no "regular edition" if that's what you are thinking

May 3, 2018 8:22 AM

Dec 2014
Infatuate said:
Happy for yorimoi sales, but another season or a movie are almost impossible due to how it ended so yay I guess?

That's what I hope, really. I think it ended on a perfect note. We could have some specials, maybe an OVA, but I really don't want a full sequel. Though I trust the team who produced it, especially the writer and the director, I fear another story done wrong could potentially screw up what has become one of my favorite and most inspiring anime.
May 3, 2018 9:06 AM
Jan 2017
I haven't seen bobobo in years and it has good sales. Holy crap.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses

Snow - Apr 5

2 by alpha_shadow »»
2 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

6 by rikazkhan »»
4 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.