Forum Settings
Forums

Can an OP Character Be a Good Main Character? - Feedback and Comments

New
Apr 13, 2018 9:58 PM

Apr 2017
Read the article here, written by @TheCobraSlayer.

Please leave any comments or feedback on the article here!

Rules:

• Be civil and polite at all times.
  • If you have criticisms, ensure that they are constructive and not personally attacking the writer.
  • If your feedback is about MAL Articles in general, please leave the suggestion here.
  • We encourage you to join our Discord server here!
The official publishing account of the MAL Articles club.
Interested in writing or editing for us? Click here!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 14, 2018 1:33 AM

Nov 2017
great article dude, but there are a couple of things i'm not satisfied with

1. Ed wasn't the most OP character in FMA/FMAB, there were tons of other characters like mustang, father, his dad,etc. same with tokyo ghoul but i've forgotten its characters.

2. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU TALK ABOUT MERUEM, HE IS LIKE THE MOST OP CHARACTER IN HXH WITH THE MOST CONFLICTING IDEOLOGY.

3. could've talked about fairy tail in cons as well
Apr 15, 2018 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
I think this article should include more definitive examples of which anime with good and bad mc op characters. And should include how anime can use the traits in various different way, like Saiki Kusuo for example.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Apr 15, 2018 7:43 PM

Dec 2016
@HILRebellion I know Ed is not OP, my point in including him was as an example of what good characters need to be good (a well written internal conflict). As for your other points, I can’t please everyone xp

@lswarmruler My point was to present both sides of the argument as neutrally as possibly rather than call out any specific character based on my personal opinions when I know that’s not the point of this article. It’s supposed to be broad.
Apr 16, 2018 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Interesting article, bro. But I still feel you could've talked about more anime like Fairy Tail, especially in the cons department. @TheCobraSlayer
Apr 16, 2018 1:00 PM

Apr 2015
TheCobraSlayer said:

@lswarmruler My point was to present both sides of the argument as neutrally as possibly rather than call out any specific character based on my personal opinions when I know that’s not the point of this article. It’s supposed to be broad.

But, u already wrote that u think Goku was lacking internal struggle (bad op mc) and edward, kaneki, and saitama is relatable (good op mc)... and why you dont include saiki kusuo? as he is kinda opposite of most op mc, even the opposite of saitama, but also really great op mc.

hmm, i think it is probably ur thinking that op mc = battle anime.... at least in this article.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Apr 17, 2018 9:07 AM

Dec 2016
@lswarmruler True, but in terms of “OP-ness” characters from battle shows are the most obviously OP and easiest to dissect for this kind of article.
Apr 22, 2018 10:38 PM

Nov 2017
Truly a great article. Thanks for writing this, much appreciated :)

OP character is such an interesting concept for me tbh. This concept is very broad and deep, consisting from a flat character to a very dynamic one. Even in SoL and Drama title, there is an OP character. Kiriyama Rei from 3gatsu no Lion is a prime example for this, as he is a strong lion that devours its preys, like his father and other shogi players, with "emotion" and "internal struggles". And this article made me think deeper about the characters and the characterization of Kiriyama Rei. And some others too. Wonderful ~
Apr 25, 2018 5:34 AM

Nov 2017
well i'm writing an article right now so i know how hard it is
but unfortunately to say this but...
you article is under-researched
there are tons of other great examples you could use.
also i looked at your account you seem to have not watched a lot of anime
guess that's it,
and i'm not trying to say that you wrote a bad article
you even went and made a fricking graph which is super cool
just try to broaden your spectrum next time
Apr 30, 2018 7:21 AM

Dec 2016
@Tirta_Firdaus Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it, it’s definitely an interesting topic.

@HILrebellion Are you just not happy with my choice of characters or do you feel I missed a point in the article? I can’t include every OP character out there...
Jan 17, 2019 11:50 AM
Oct 2017
lswarmruler said:
I think this article should include more definitive examples of which anime with good and bad mc op characters. And should include how anime can use the traits in various different way, like Saiki Kusuo for example.

When I read the article I immediately thought "Saiki Kusuo is this OP character but that just makes the anime SO much better". :D
Mar 8, 2020 12:19 PM

May 2017
I have read your article and it's true,OP characters can be enjoyable if they have something to make them interesting or balanced. There are 3 types of OP characters:

Balanced,Power Fantasy and Gary Stu.

Balanced are type of OP character that are enjoyable because of their traits,personality and because their powers are balanced because of their internal struggles,holes in heart,core motivations and they faced difficult challenges and conflicts and they are paying price for their powers.

Example: Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist),Simon (Gurren Laggan),Saitama (One Punch Man),Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop),Ken Kaneki (Tokyo Ghoul),Tanjiro Kamado (Kimetsu No Yaiba),Guts (Berserk),Lelouch (Code Geass),Naofumi (Rising of Shield Hero),Goblin Slayer,Kirito (Sword Art Online series),Meliodas (Seven Deadly Sins) and Hajime Nagumo (Arifureta light novels)

Power fantasy are type of OP character that are OP for readers or audience who enjoy OP characters kicking asses,but they lack some balance in their powers and do not pay price for their powers very often. They can be enjoyable and they have motivations or at least one bit of difficult challenge,but not to everyone. They are OP just for fan service or because of stakes in their fights,in short words.

Example: Goku (Dragon Ball),Luffy (One Piece),Naruto (Naruto series),
Tatsuya Shiba (Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei),Asta (Black Clover),Ichigo (Bleach),Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail),Eren Jaeger (Attack On Titan),Shin Wolford (Kenja No Mago) and Ikki Kurogane (Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry)

Gary Stu character is kind of OP character that is aimlessly OP with completely unbalanced powers,perfect at anything,lacking core motivation,wandering around,defeating anyone without losing blood,breaking a sweat or paying any price at all. Even if one of Gary Stu bleed and break a sweat,they can be boring also if his character design and writing is bland or generic and that kind of character can be somewhat annoying.

Example: Touya Mochizuki (Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni),Taichi Nishimura (Isekai Cheat Magician),Ichirou Suzuki (Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku) and Christopher Chiaki (Garzey's Wings)

Why some protagonists are sometimes always overpowering his enemy? Answer: The stake. Take a look at final fights in Gurren Lagann and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood,where many lives or fate of the world was at stake. If characters lost,many would die or their world would be destroyed. The point is,you can't expect some characters to lose when something is at stake. Also,plots would progress very badly if some characters lost. I know that it's can be annoying if some characters win over and over again,but some of them sometimes lose specific fights because nothing special was at stake or to develop their character.

What makes Saitama from One Punch Man very interesting,even though he is very OP? He is not happy with his power and how his fights end with only one punch. Because of his powers,he was left emotionless and finds his power boring. Not only that,but his personality. He is funny character because of his personality and dialogues between some characters and villains.

Many people call some specific characters a Gary Stu or power fantasy,not knowing what that truly means and misunderstanding and misinterpreting some of my favorite OP characters without paying attention to anime.
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Technical Quality vs. Enjoyment: A Strange Discrepancy - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Mar 1, 2018

8 by removed-user »»
May 11, 2022 4:12 PM

» Black, White, and Gray: What Makes an Antihero Work - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Aug 23, 2018

4 by utopica »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:23 PM

» Why Incest Appears So Often In Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Jan 21, 2018

10 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Apr 3, 2019 8:26 AM

» Cowboy Bebop: Meaning Behind the Madness - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - May 14, 2018

2 by TomDay »»
Sep 14, 2018 6:25 PM

» Symphony of Emotions: How Music Defines an Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Apr 7, 2018

12 by phxntomhiveghoul »»
Aug 19, 2018 10:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.