Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2018 7:57 PM

Feb 2018
Hello. Right now I'm having trouble coming up with a name for a character in a project I'm doing. Let me describe her to help you out.

Sex:female

Personality: tomboyish,fiery,hardworking,a little shy

Ethnicity: niphonesee (equivalent to modern day Japan)/Prussian (Equivalent to modern day Germany)

Other notes: She's very intelligent. Her favorite things are cars and classic rock.

Update: I’ve come up with a name for her. Thanks for your assistance
RichardthefoxApr 7, 2018 9:36 AM
“You can best describe me as a petrol-head otaku.”
Apr 5, 2018 10:02 PM

Feb 2017
um....

kana Raby
Valente Sahashi
Efari Fortem

you can mix and match them and all these words are from various different languages but their literal english translation is 'brave'

Apr 6, 2018 4:41 AM

Feb 2018
Sorry I did such a poor job of describing her,but thanks.
Apr 6, 2018 4:43 AM

Apr 2013
Yuria? Like German name "Julia" but written in Japanese letters as ユリア.
Apr 6, 2018 10:42 AM

Mar 2018
name her Almostlegal ;]

Apr 6, 2018 11:11 AM

Feb 2018
dodginsuicid said:
name her Almostlegal ;]
I’m being serious.
Apr 6, 2018 11:52 AM

May 2013
@Richardthefox

Maybe knowing more about the context (who is she exactly?) could be useful too... - plus I'm curious.
But as for naming without knowing more... so is she half Japanese, half Prussian? which parent is which? If in your story world too, she would have the same family name as her father's family name, so would she has a Japanese - or Prussian/German one? You can look up family names on various sites, usually with their meaning too, although since it's a family name, don't know if it's (the meaning) very important
(the other time a friend asked for advice with a character's family name, I got the idea to say a random number from 1 to X (how many names were in the list) and so we randomly chosen one.

given name on the other hand often carries more meaning. name sites are very useful, IMO. you could look up Japanese/German names that has a meaning you like for the character. or could be something totally different too, afterall, the parents wouldn't knew the child's character when given them a name. But meaningful names that fit the character can be cool.

Names generated by random name generators are very cool, but fantasy / sci-fi - sounding names wouldn't necessarily fit a story that's not fantasy/sci-fi, so that's why I would think better use some existing names, from a certain language/culture the characters would belong to. Then, again, that might be just my opinion.

Good luck finding a good name for the character!
Apr 6, 2018 3:15 PM

Feb 2018
@Sora_92

Thanks I will
Apr 6, 2018 3:39 PM

Nov 2016
How about go with a name that in gender neutral or can be shortened to be so eg Alexandera = Alex, Sammantha = Sam? The oddest one ive noticed is Charlotte to Charlie and I know a tomboy that goes by this name. Something like this could be a useful way of expressing that tomboy side of your character.
“we all live with the objective of being happy, our lives are all different and yet the same.”
Apr 6, 2018 4:14 PM

Mar 2018
Richardthefox said:
dodginsuicid said:
name her Almostlegal ;]
I’m being serious.

maybe I was being serious too :O what's the project you're working on?

Apr 6, 2018 4:56 PM

Feb 2018
dodginsuicid said:
Richardthefox said:
I’m being serious.

maybe I was being serious too :O what's the project you're working on?
LOL! Anyway I'll try to Explain. It's a graphic novel/manga I've that's been in my head for sometime.
Apr 6, 2018 4:57 PM

Feb 2018
Tythoid said:
How about go with a name that in gender neutral or can be shortened to be so eg Alexandera = Alex, Sammantha = Sam? The oddest one ive noticed is Charlotte to Charlie and I know a tomboy that goes by this name. Something like this could be a useful way of expressing that tomboy side of your character.
Your right. I've have been more leaning towards a unisex name.
Apr 6, 2018 4:59 PM
Feb 2018
Bob

I think Bob is the best go to name, it's gender neutral and no one even notices if you have 3 or 4 characters named Bob
Apr 6, 2018 5:20 PM

Feb 2018
Ehhhh...........no
Apr 6, 2018 6:22 PM

Jan 2018
Kana Michelle
Haruka Laura
Chiaki Cheryl
Lalatina Dustiness Ford

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 6, 2018 9:44 PM

Feb 2018
I’ve have a few names I’ve considered.
Mikoto winkelhock
Yuki nakano
Julia takagi
Apr 6, 2018 10:04 PM

Feb 2017
naming business should never be a big deal...you can have the most generic and stupid names..what matters most is the content of story :)

Apr 6, 2018 11:30 PM

May 2015
Japanese/German, tomboyish, fiery and hardworking, intelligent, and likes cars and rock...Sounds a lot like Chris Yukine...

Kristian Flamme

Christian is usually a name for boys, but I guess she was named Kristian because maybe the parent on the Prussian side wanted a boy, and the K makes it look more feminine. And on her Japanese side, people would call her "Kris-chan" which sounds just like her original name. Flamme is German for flame and I added it there just because.
Apr 6, 2018 11:38 PM

Jan 2009
name her Tensai a japanese word meaning genius
Apr 7, 2018 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
Yeah, this might be difficult considering how unlikely this might have been back then. We will ignore the hafu issue for now since we're not here to critique your writing.

Personally, it depends on which culture she was mainly raised in. If it was Japan I would go with an old-fashioned Japanese name like Azuma, it's both tomboy-sounding and it's a meaningful name as it can mean "east".

If she was mainly raised Prussian then maybe something like Hilda (which beans battle).

As for last name...yeah don't really have the answer there.

Hope I helped
Apr 7, 2018 8:01 AM

Feb 2018
My world is a fictional one,but the countries have been inspired by real ones. So it more takes place towards today than in,say the 1820s. For first names I've been more leaning towards Mikoto,though your suggestion is good too. As for last names I've been leaning towards Winkelhock,after Manfred winkelhock,who was a German racing driver. (Yeah I'm a petrol head and a otaku,and probably the only user on this site to be both) Thanks!
Apr 7, 2018 8:02 AM

Feb 2018
[/quote]
Tarotist said:
Japanese/German, tomboyish, fiery and hardworking, intelligent, and likes cars and rock...Sounds a lot like Chris Yukine...

Kristian Flamme

Christian is usually a name for boys, but I guess she was named Kristian because maybe the parent on the Prussian side wanted a boy, and the K makes it look more feminine. And on her Japanese side, people would call her "Kris-chan" which sounds just like her original name. Flamme is German for flame and I added it there just because.
Funny I had no clue who she was until I looked her up.
RichardthefoxApr 7, 2018 8:06 AM

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:56 AM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.