Forum Settings
Forums

Official Website for 2018 Dragon Ball Film Reveals Key Staff, Visual, Release Date, & Akira Toriyama Comment

New
Mar 12, 2018 9:03 PM

Jan 2009
Akira Toriyama says this http://www.dbmovie-20th.com/

Toriyama said:
The Dragon Ball Super movie this time aroundwill be the next story that takes place after the anime that's currently on TV.The content will shed a little light on previously unexplored topics having to do with Frieza and the Saiyans, and I think it will be a very enjoyable story that serves up a long-awaited formidable opponent!

With 2013's Battle of Gods, the previous installment Resurrection 'F', and now this time too, I've been the one writing the stories. I've also been drawing quite a few things for them, like design illustrations.I'm actually as busy as ever, and if I wasn't serializing anything, I'd have time to think about the anime with which I used to not have enough time to be involved.(laugh) So on that note, I very much hope you look forward to it!

By the way, I think the highly popular Dragon Ball Super manga, drawn by Toyotaro,is going to see some developments different from the TV anime or movies, so please look forward to that. Be sure to check it out, too!

another translation and more info can be found here - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/03/12/official-website-2018-dragon-ball-film-key-staff-visual-release-date-toriyama-comment/

Japanese release date: 14 December 2018

Original Author, Script, & Character Design: Akira Toriyama
Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
Animation Supervisor: Naohiro Shintani
Art Director: Kazuo Ogura

its cool that the manga version of Dragon Ball Super will continue even after the universe survival arc is over it seems
degMar 12, 2018 9:11 PM
Mar 12, 2018 9:40 PM

Jan 2017
Hope they tell us more about Goku's mom and dad in this movie.

isekai said:

its cool that the manga version of Dragon Ball Super will continue even after the universe survival arc is over it seems

I think they should adapt manga faithfully next time rather than making their own story for next series. (If they will make one XD)
Mar 12, 2018 9:59 PM

Aug 2015
@Epsy

ooo manga continuation, huh? Kinda hyped.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Mar 12, 2018 10:09 PM

Jun 2013
silent_knight98 said:

isekai said:

I think they should adapt manga faithfully next time rather than making their own story for next series. (If they will make one XD)
that's what i tought, i don't like some of the manga ideas
Mar 12, 2018 10:24 PM
Jun 2016
I hope it involves goku and his father finally meeting.
Mar 12, 2018 10:27 PM

Feb 2013
DedPanda said:
Of course the manga is going to continue. It's more canon than the actual series especially since Akira Toriyama oversees it personally as Toyatarou draws it up. Super the anime is nothing more than a rough draft of the story on screen. But that's just me.

You're completely wrong. If a manga version exists it's because of the anime since Super is primarily a project of Fuji TV/Toei Animation. And both of them are canon in their on way, even if the manga is created to complement the anime as an spin-off.

Also, you're wrong since Toyotaro, Toei Staff and Toriyama are in synergy doing their things and in constant contact with each other as we saw in different interviews about the Super project.

silent_knight98 said:

isekai said:

They're not making their own story. The manga is a different media, not the original. Both Toyotaro and Toei are doing their respective works based on the Toriyama drafts of the story and character designs.

In the case of Universal Survival Saga, the three of them are even more involved in the creation of the story and design of the characters with Toei staff doing most of the design for the characters, Toriyama and Toyotaro doing the designs for the new Gods of Destruction, Toriyama creating the design of the main Pride Troopers and also Caulifla and Toriyama creating the draft for the arc for the anime and the manga.
brzzcodeMar 12, 2018 10:34 PM
Mar 12, 2018 10:36 PM

Feb 2015
caio_ken said:
DedPanda said:
Of course the manga is going to continue. It's more canon than the actual series especially since Akira Toriyama oversees it personally as Toyatarou draws it up. Super the anime is nothing more than a rough draft of the story on screen. But that's just me.

You're completely wrong. If a manga version exists it's because of the anime since Super is primarily a project of Fuji TV/Toei Animation. And both of them are canon in their on way, even if the manga is created to complement the anime as an spin-off.

Also, you're wrong since Toyotaro, Toei Staff and Toriyama are in synergy doing their things and in constant contact with each other as we saw in different interviews about the Super project.

silent_knight98 said:

They're not making their own story. The manga is a different media, not the original. Both Toyotaro and Toei are doing their respective works based on the Toriyama drafts of the story and character designs.

In the case of Universal Survival Saga, the three of them are even more involved in the creation of the story and design of the characters with Toei staff doing most of the design for the characters, Toriyama and Toyotaro doing the designs for the new Gods of Destruction, Toriyama creating the design of the main Pride Troopers and also Caulifla and Toriyama creating the draft for the arc for the anime and the manga.

Yes

Some of the comments in this section are pretty dumb.

Mar 12, 2018 11:29 PM

Jan 2017
SteelingMax said:
caio_ken said:

Yes

By making their own story i meant that anime storyline is different from the manga.Of course i knew Toriyama is involved in both manga and anime. I just think that Manga's storyline is much better than anime and they should stick with manga.
Just my personal opinion though.
Mar 13, 2018 2:18 AM
Aug 2012
caio_ken said:
DedPanda said:

silent_knight98 said:

Toyotaro works with Toriyama in every way he can. Read the interviews, throughout the process, they both work together. Toyotaro goes back and forth to the point of annoyance. Toriyama just sends scripts to Toei and they do what they want. Which is why the anime is degraded a lot.
Mar 13, 2018 2:19 AM
Aug 2012
silent_knight98 said:
SteelingMax said:

Yes

By making their own story i meant that anime storyline is different from the manga.Of course i knew Toriyama is involved in both manga and anime. I just think that Manga's storyline is much better than anime and they should stick with manga.
Just my personal opinion though.

The manga's storyline is indeed better.
Mar 13, 2018 3:03 AM

Aug 2017
@LightOneCalibur

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Mar 13, 2018 3:23 AM

Oct 2016
Well the manga already had other confirmed tomes so it was known that the manga will keep going after the ToP.
Wondering if the Character design we got is the one used for the movie.
Mar 13, 2018 4:39 AM

May 2015
I'm just sayia(n) that it's gonna be good.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 13, 2018 5:49 AM
Jul 2017
silent_knight98 said:

isekai said:

The manga is adapting from the anime actually but they change it up alot
Mar 13, 2018 6:39 AM

Jan 2017
DCU_Master said:
silent_knight98 said:

But now manga is better, so they should stick with manga for next series coz i think chances of super getting a sequel are probably good. Manga has to cover lots of material though since it was behind the anime.
Mar 13, 2018 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
So, it a sequel and it's gonna explore the DB Universe? Thats cool... I think... I hope most of it is actually flashbacks because that way we won't have those God sh*t forms or asspulls... Just a simple, old fashion DB story...

So, he wrote DBZ movie 14 and 15? I have nothing to say to movie 14, it was a little bit above average and enjoyable but movie 15 was horrible as f*ck... Any other DBZ movie was basically better than that! And I thought that the movie was written by the guys on Toei.
That highlights the chance that this movie will probably suck...

He wasn't involve in the anime? Well, that explain why most of it is garbage...

Toyotaro is doing a great job with the story compared to the anime. His writing and story are much more solid and fluid with a, let's say, above average power scaling.
Even though the story is nothing great, it is much much better.

If the manga is going to continue it's serialization, then I hope it goes to a weekly manga because its much easier to make the story...
That way we could also avoid some "unexpected" (garbage) fillers.
azertz99Mar 13, 2018 6:49 AM
Mar 13, 2018 8:49 AM

Oct 2015
I'm not putting spoiler tags, since these are the most basic information one could get about the movie;

So Frieza is probably getting revived again, during the last episode, I guess. I doubt he's going to be villain, but it makes me really curious, why Frieza is involved. Maybe Frieza has another family member, who is even stronger.. duh..
The teaser-spoilers say it's going to be a long-awaited opponent/villain, so it should be someone we already heard about. The original super saiyan god, or maybe Bardock(this seems a bit stupid, since he shouldn't be a villain, except if someone "cursed" him, but we'll see). It can't be Goku's mom either, since she was just an ordinary saiyan, if I remember correctly. Perhaps someone else we had already heard about.

I'm looking forward to further information about the movie. I'm guessing in the last episode, 131 we're getting some more info.

What I pity is that the movie comes out in december, but I live in a country that never has anime movies played in cinemas, so I must wait til 2019 summer, or even more, just to see the movie :( .

Mar 13, 2018 10:11 AM

Feb 2013
GodofWar2015 said:
caio_ken said:

Toyotaro works with Toriyama in every way he can. Read the interviews, throughout the process, they both work together. Toyotaro goes back and forth to the point of annoyance. Toriyama just sends scripts to Toei and they do what they want. Which is why the anime is degraded a lot.

Of course Toriyama is more involved in the manga since he's a mangaka and not an animator. Doesn't disqualify anything that I said. Toei directors and producers had different interviews about Toriyama and what he does and what I said is true.
Mar 13, 2018 12:16 PM

Mar 2016
I’m really excited!

No Yamamuro, which is pretty weird. It seems that the character designs have been changed to be more animation-friendly. I can get behind this :)

I’m curious where they’re going with the story after the ToP.

Mar 13, 2018 12:28 PM

Feb 2015
DCU_Master said:
silent_knight98 said:

Wrong, both the Super manga and anime are adapting the story from Toriyama's outline.

The movie will be written by him though, a little more hands on then how he is with the series.

Mar 13, 2018 8:53 PM

Sep 2011
Long-awaited formidable opponent?

Will Broly finally become canon? Would be really nice.
Mar 14, 2018 12:31 PM

Mar 2015
Lets think about it, this movie has the "Saiyans" as the subject so... what if the "long awaited enemy" is Baby and he plans his revenge against the Saiyans? They can even show the backstory of the war between them and the Tuffles

Android 17 is back on the series, so Super 17 confirmed for the next arc after the movie? Yep... GT cannon is comming, can't wait to see Gil

Still, a better theorie then the ones that the Latinos create, like that one about El Hermano, or Goku Black being Goten for example.
Mar 14, 2018 3:08 PM

Jan 2009
Katsuo_ said:

No Yamamuro, which is pretty weird. It seems that the character designs have been changed to be more animation-friendly. I can get behind this :)

ye thats what sakuga experts are saying too, the new character design is animation friendly or easy to draw so expect more movement and action scenes
Mar 15, 2018 1:41 AM

Feb 2015
Guifnogueira said:
Lets think about it, this movie has the "Saiyans" as the subject so... what if the "long awaited enemy" is Baby and he plans his revenge against the Saiyans? They can even show the backstory of the war between them and the Tuffles

Android 17 is back on the series, so Super 17 confirmed for the next arc after the movie? Yep... GT cannon is comming, can't wait to see Gil

Still, a better theorie then the ones that the Latinos create, like that one about El Hermano, or Goku Black being Goten for example.

Blanco happened though, and most of those theories were jokes, and they were purposely bad, just like yours.

Mar 15, 2018 6:03 AM

Mar 2015
SteelingMax said:
Guifnogueira said:

Blanco happened though, and most of those theories were jokes, and they were purposely bad, just like yours.

My theorie about GT being cannon (which is troll) is still better than that one about the egg that Hit left in the arena to avoid elimination.
May 17, 2018 5:32 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

-Stray - Dec 14, 2018

210 by PatataGalactica »»
Apr 12, 5:33 AM

» Am I the only one that really dislikes Minus approach to Goku and Bardock?

KatsuragiKyon - Oct 15, 2018

2 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 11:06 AM

» Planet Sadala

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

1 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:59 AM

» Opinion on Cheelai?

xfinityretaile1 - Jan 21, 2019

24 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:13 AM

Poll: » Who is the weakest among Beerus, Broly and Jiren?

darthbarth - Nov 7, 2022

13 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.