Forum Settings
Forums

Using 'cheap' tatics to make the viewer emotional

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 13, 2018 1:23 PM
Jul 2015
blumenbalt said:
So, I just finished Made in Abyss, and honestly it was astonishing. Either way, as I was reading reviews all over the internet, an opinion got my attention:

" I don't like when the autor uses cheap tricks to make the viewer emotional, as using children or animals( dogs, cats whatever ) to appel. "

I never thought much about it, but I do know that there are tons of anime, manga, LN, books, movies, that uses this, and I would like to know what do you think about it, and why it's really effective sometimes. If you could give some examples about, that would be nice as well.

I personally don't really care about it, I have times where animals or children being * insert doing bad thing here *, don't bother me at all, like the famous NINA event in FMA, but there are other moments where it gets me a lot. That's why I don't agree with it as it is a 'cheap trick', since, for me it works sometimes or is not effective at all.

Not a fan of loli and all that stuff that comes along with it, but now that you mention it, I remember just yesterday watching a few episodes of Persona 4. The MC's little cousin sure did a number on my feelings for the show...

Mar 13, 2018 2:33 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I feel like, yes there are stories like Clannad that use the kids and the melodrama to make the viewer cry all their tears away because unfortunate circumstances.

But MiA is far removed. It has a story and a set up world. The kids are established and it's established as to why they're kids for the context of adventure. That's a the drawing line.

Is the story being told something that is not cookie cutter and do the children (or pets?) have purpose and individuality. I take Usagi Drop as something that'd be the opposite Clannad where the main girl is young on purpose and raising someone of her age and emotional state is intrinsic to the state of the story.
Mar 13, 2018 9:48 PM

Feb 2016
holysauron said:
Cheap tricks don't work. If you get emotional it means you got invested in the story and started to care about the characters.
Not for me, I was actually crying because of the music and cinematography alone in some show I didn't care about at all (I think it was hotarubi no mori e, I'm not sure though), it was just a really well done dramatic scene without any real investment on my part.
Mar 14, 2018 2:29 AM

Oct 2014
I don't mind child characters, if it makes sense for the character to be a child.
But shows where the characters seem to be children just cause? They almost immediately lose a point or two in my MAL rating just cause it messes with my immersion that much.
Mar 14, 2018 6:54 AM

Mar 2014
A lot of emotional scenes do feel forced and do not bother me. But I still get caught by any sad dog scenes, even every Hachi rip off.
Mar 14, 2018 8:55 AM

Mar 2012
This is why many script writers haven't watched any anime directed by Osamu Dezaki, he's the master of drama directing and writing.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Mar 14, 2018 9:00 AM

Oct 2010
Gridley said:
This is why many script writers haven't watched any anime directed by Osamu Dezaki, he's the master of drama directing and writing.

Or they probably watched his Clannad :P
Mar 14, 2018 9:03 AM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
Gridley said:

Or they probably watched his Clannad :P

Clannad movie was his weakest work because Dezaki is getting older that he's starting to forgot his magical talent starting on late 2000's due to old age, i heard his latest anime in 2009 is the worst thing he ever made so i haven't watch that.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Mar 14, 2018 9:19 AM

Oct 2014
GwaziMagnum said:
I don't mind child characters, if it makes sense for the character to be a child.
But shows where the characters seem to be children just cause? They almost immediately lose a point or two in my MAL rating just cause it messes with my immersion that much.

Well I am curious.

Would you like to give me some examples?
Like Anohana for example?
Mar 14, 2018 9:44 AM

Oct 2014
Bourmegar said:

Would you like to give me some examples?
Like Anohana for example?

Anohana it was actually appropriate.
Since it was addressing children growing up, how they change and don't change over the years, dealing with the death of a childhood friend, parents dealing with the death of a child.

I'm more referring to cases like Made in Abyss. Where the story could quite easily of been done with Adults, it just seemed make it kids cause cute factor and... They have some fetish for kids being hanged naked... Ew.
Mar 14, 2018 10:32 AM

Oct 2010
GwaziMagnum said:
I'm more referring to cases like Made in Abyss. Where the story could quite easily of been done with Adults, it just seemed make it kids cause cute factor and... They have some fetish for kids being hanged naked... Ew.

Uh, no.

A great deal of what drives Made in Abyss happens because the characters are kids. Specifically Riko: her enthusiasm and lack of patience to explore the abyss is perfectly and appropriately childish, and the problems they find through the journey are by a great deal caused by the lack of experience and the fact Riko ignored the scale and natural growth of cave raiders, which took her a lot of trouble to even start her journey. Reg is a child matching his own innocence and his personal journey learning about both the abyss and himself (themes of puberty). Both are too innocent and unsuspecting of the abyss and they suffer the consequences even though Riko has encyclopedic knowledge and Reg is almost indestructible.

Mar 14, 2018 10:39 AM

Oct 2014
jal90 said:
A great deal of what drives Made in Abyss happens because the characters are kids. Specifically Riko: her enthusiasm and lack of patience to explore the abyss is perfectly and appropriately childish, and the problems they find through the journey are by a great deal caused by the lack of experience and the fact Riko ignored the scale and natural growth of cave raiders, which took her a lot of trouble to even start her journey. Reg is a child matching his own innocence and his personal journey learning about both the abyss and himself (themes of puberty). Both are too innocent and unsuspecting of the abyss and they suffer the consequences even though Riko has encyclopedic knowledge and Reg is almost indestructible.

I can understand the connections there. But a lot of that could also of been communicated if Riko was a fresh graduate will minimal exposure, and had the new miner urge to just break free and be independent. As well as that much more built up impatience to find her mother.

While Reg being a robot could of easily been physically an adult and still have the curiosity and innocence of a child cause of a memory wipe or being a newer model.

Mar 14, 2018 10:57 AM

Oct 2010
GwaziMagnum said:
jal90 said:

I can understand the connections there. But a lot of that could also of been communicated if Riko was a fresh graduate will minimal exposure, and had the new miner urge to just break free and be independent. As well as that much more built up impatience to find her mother.

While Reg being a robot could of easily been physically an adult and still have the curiosity and innocence of a child cause of a memory wipe or being a newer model.

Uhm, I get your point on Reg. He could certainly have been portrayed as an adult-looking robot and there wouldn't be much of a problem logically speaking, but I think Reg's existence and aesthetics are also influenced by Riko, so one was a consequence of the other. On the other hand, it would kind of feel like a disconnect to introduce themes of puberty in an adult-looking Reg.

However Riko to me had to be a kid under the very premise of the show, because it takes her lack of experience and vulnerability into account. Doing this with a fresh graduate Riko would have much less of an impact to the overall idea that she is completely helpless in the abyss, particularly in a society like the one portrayed in Made in Abyss where people grow to become more profficient and skilled in the abyss. Riko being a child was the show's own way of creating the most dangerous case scenario, as well as making sense to her personality. And either way the series also shows major narrative consequences to this so it's not like it exists justs for the gimmick.

jal90Mar 14, 2018 11:06 AM
Mar 14, 2018 11:07 AM

Dec 2017
Now, it depends what makes you emotional. I don't care if a character has had a tragic childhood or smth like that if he/she is annoying as fuck.

I mostly get very emotional when I see animals/pets... especially if they are abused/dead. I just felt like crying my eyes out when that puppy in Parasyte was hit by a car and it died.

Anyway, I don't think these are cheap tactics. A "cheap" one would be too much fanservice when it really isn't needed. But that doesn't intend to make the viewer emotional soo.. whatever
Mar 14, 2018 11:22 AM

Oct 2014
jal90 said:
Uhm, I get your point on Reg. He could certainly have been portrayed as an adult-looking robot and there wouldn't be much of a problem logically speaking, but I think Reg's existence and aesthetics are also influenced by Riko, so one was a consequence of the other. On the other hand, it would kind of feel like a disconnect to introduce themes of puberty in an adult-looking Reg.

However Riko to me had to be a kid under the very premise of the show, because it takes her lack of experience and vulnerability into account. Doing this with a fresh graduate Riko would have much less of an impact to the overall idea that she is completely helpless in the abyss, particularly in a society like the one portrayed in Made in Abyss where people grow to become more profficient and skilled in the abyss. Riko being a child was the show's own way of creating the most dangerous case scenario, as well as making sense to her personality. And either way the series also shows major narrative consequences to this so it's not like it exists justs for the gimmick.

Those are all fair enough points, I can see why they'd make them kids with those reasons in mind.
Though it'd be nice if they didn't that naked rope hanging stuff... Like seriously, why?

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime

Kenzolo-folk - 7 hours ago

49 by Rhae »»
31 seconds ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime? ( 1 2 )

The-Wombat - May 14

51 by TRC_Randy »»
11 minutes ago

» What's the meaning behind your MAL username? ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

64 by cyandaqil »»
13 minutes ago

» Cutest anime character ever?

KanekiKen523 - May 26, 2023

30 by Absurdo_N »»
15 minutes ago

» Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

deg - 5 hours ago

23 by Rhae »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.