Forum Settings
Forums

Scared Shitless Deputies Waited Outside as Florida Shooting Unfolded

New
Feb 23, 2018 3:08 PM
Nov 2017
Parkland, Florida (CNN)The armed school resource deputy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, waited outside the school building as the shooting unfolded last week, officials said.
Scot Peterson never went in after taking a position on the west side of the building, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a Thursday afternoon news conference.

Peterson resigned after he was suspended without pay by Israel pending an internal investigation into his actions during the shooting that left 17 people dead, Israel said. Peterson was eligible for retirement.
Israel made the decision to suspend Peterson -- who was armed and in uniform at the time of the shooting -- after interviewing the deputy and reviewing footage and witness statements, he said.
"What I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of building 12, take up a position," Israel said of the video. "And he never went in."
Israel told reporters Peterson should have "[w]ent in. Addressed the killer. Killed the killer." Instead, the deputy waited outside for about four minutes. During that time, Israel said, Peterson got on his radio and took a position where he could see the western entry of the building.

Asked how he felt watching the footage, Israel said: "Devastated. Sick to my stomach. There are no words. These families lost their children. We lost coaches. I've been to the funerals, I've been to the homes. ... I've been to the vigils. It's just -- there are no words."
CNN was attempting to reach Peterson for comment.
Peterson held several jobs, including working as a security guard and stock clerk, before he was hired as a sheriff's deputy in 1985, according to his personnel records. He also served in the military, he told the sheriff's office. Peterson, who attended Florida International University, was largely lauded for his performance on the job, including garnering two deputy of the year nominations in recent years, the personnel records show.
In 2015, Israel noted Peterson's then-30-year tenure. "Your dedication and allegiance are the best illustrations of the service [the sheriff's office] provides to the people of Broward County," Israel wrote, according to the records.

Source

But good guys with good guns are supposed to stop bad guys with bad guns right?!! Wrong! These are the same people who are sworn to protect us with their lives, and they've proven to be a bunch of cowards and pigs who's only good at racial profiling.

Ban all guns, and make the whole continent of North America a gun free zone. Confiscate all guns and abolish the law enforcement now!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 23, 2018 3:13 PM

Jul 2015
This is becoming an increasing problem with law enforcement...cowardice. That's why so many unarmed people are being gunned down by the police and deputies, including a completely innocent man in Wichita, Kansas and the Australian lady in Minnesota. There are also more cops just shirking their duties, they just want to collect their paychecks and brag about being cops.
Feb 23, 2018 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
He was suspended for it, in the very least?
Sounds more like cowardice. He stayed back because he was scared. Meanwhile in my area we recently had an officer die due to a confrontation against a man with a gun (the suspect also killed a civilian), who later held up almost the police force for four hours in a standoff.

I don’t hate all cops, even if I’m skeptical of them. They make me nervous due to my experiences as a troubled youth, and I recognize that corrupt ones exist, but I don’t fearmonger over every officer I come in contact with.

I also am not vehemently anti gun. I don’t disagree with restricting the sale of AR-15s, but handguns or hunting guns, as long as they’re not too close to AR territory, should remain legal. I would say I’m fairly indifferent to gun ownership, even if I despise Southern gun culture.
removed-userFeb 23, 2018 3:18 PM
Feb 23, 2018 4:21 PM

Nov 2008
He needs to be fired, corrupt cops is bad enough, now we have complete cowards who are useless which is even worse. Make police great again by hiring veterans and other people who want to protect and serve instead of randos off the street looking for power or people like this guy who think being an officer is just about eating donuts.

Feb 23, 2018 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
They did this at Columbine too.

And that was a SWAT team.

The police are not constitutionally obligated to protect you, as ruled in Warren vs District of Colombia.

Even Courts in New York and DC which are the biggest advocates of "you don't need a gun because you have the police" ruled that officers have no obligation to put their lives on the line to protect the public. A police officer can watch you get stabbed to death and do nothing to help you, and legally he'll be in the clear.

Oh and he gets 33 years of pension because he resigned.
removed-userFeb 23, 2018 4:28 PM
Feb 23, 2018 4:29 PM

Mar 2008
We have huge SWAT teams for drug busts for a little weed but a couple deputies are for mass killers with automatic weapons?
Feb 23, 2018 6:16 PM

Dec 2012
It turns out that there were four deputies on the scene in total who stood by and did nothing. So when Sheriff Israel comes out and tells me that I owe my guns to him because his people can't do their jobs, he can fuck off.
Feb 23, 2018 9:34 PM
Apr 2013
nicethings said:
He was suspended for it, in the very least?

Resigned apparently. (Can he still get a pension out of this?) What's worse in spite the failure of local authority to responding public vigilance, is now we have 4 armed deputies stand down during the shooting. 4!
Feb 23, 2018 9:35 PM

Apr 2013
And this is why teachers should have guns, armed officials apparently aren't up for it!
Feb 23, 2018 10:21 PM

Jul 2009
Hoppy said:
Make police great again by hiring veterans and other people who want to protect and serve instead of randos off the street looking for power or people like this guy who think being an officer is just about eating donuts.

... that's what the police is already doing (and has been doing for quite some time now). Even the article says "He also served in the military, he told the sheriff's office."
"Under the Justice Department's COPS (Community Oriented Policing Services) program, 629 of the 800 police jobs funded for the next three years – all the newly hired officers – must go to veterans who served at least 180 days' active duty since 9/11. This is the first time the 18-year-old COPS program has required cities and counties seeking grants to hire veterans exclusively."
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0625/Military-veterans-to-get-priority-for-police-jobs-under-COPS-grants (article from 2012)

traed said:
We have huge SWAT teams for drug busts for a little weed but a couple deputies are for mass killers with automatic weapons?

The problem with SWAT is that it takes quite a while for them to arrive and most shootings are over at that point. A couple of deputies who are already on the scene, on the other hand, could charge in and stop or at least engage the shooter, thus preventing further loss of lives. Which is why the government changed the procedures for mass/school shootings from "waiting for SWAT to arrive" to "go in and try to actively stop the shooter".

NudeBear said:
And this is why teachers should have guns, armed officials apparently aren't up for it!

Right ... because if armed professionals aren't "up for it", it makes sense to leave the job to people who's job is to teach and not hunt down criminals. Anyone sees the problem with that or is it just me?
Feb 23, 2018 10:25 PM

Mar 2008
Sinnja said:

traed said:

The problem with SWAT is that it takes quite a while for them to arrive and most shootings are over at that point. A couple of deputies who are already on the scene, on the other hand, could charge in and stop or at least engage the shooter, thus preventing further loss of lives. Which is why the government changed the procedures for mass/school shootings from "waiting for SWAT to arrive" to "go in and try to actively stop the shooter".

I'm suggesting the police should have special teams on hand that can respond just as quickly but is better trained and equiped for those situations.
Feb 23, 2018 10:51 PM

Sep 2011
Sinnja said:
NudeBear said:

Right ... because if armed professionals aren't "up for it", it makes sense to leave the job to people who's job is to teach and not hunt down criminals. Anyone sees the problem with that or is it just me?

He's right, ideally all the students would have guns, more opportunities to stop the attacker.
Feb 23, 2018 11:18 PM

Apr 2013
Eeyore said:
Sinnja said:

He's right, ideally all the students would have guns, more opportunities to stop the attacker.

Even better. Can't get killed if you kill them first. Let children and older students bring guns to school!
Feb 23, 2018 11:36 PM

Mar 2008
NudeBear said:
Eeyore said:

Even better. Can't get killed if you kill them first. Let children and older students bring guns to school!

What you're crazy to neglect the school itself needs to be armed with guns too. Heat seeming AI shoot any student who aren't to class on time.
Feb 23, 2018 11:45 PM

Apr 2012
traed said:
Sinnja said:

I'm suggesting the police should have special teams on hand that can respond just as quickly but is better trained and equiped for those situations.

dude the sheriff (a 30 year veteran) should be more than enough trained to take out a kid with an assault rifle
even showing some presence will intimidate him
zzzeallyFeb 23, 2018 11:57 PM

Feb 24, 2018 1:09 AM

Jul 2009
zzzeally said:

dude the sheriff (a 30 year veteran) should be more than enough trained to take out a kid with an assault rifle
even showing some presence will intimidate him

A "kid with an assault rifle" is just as dangerous as a grown man with an AR. Plus, the guy is 19 years old, which means he could legally join the army and be deployed in an actual war zone - we're not talking about a child or young teenager here.

Being a "veteran of 30 years" doesn't mean all that much if you consider the fact that ~ 90% of all police officers never have to use their guns in their line of duty.

traed said:
NudeBear said:

What you're crazy to neglect the school itself needs to be armed with guns too. Heat seeming AI shoot any student who aren't to class on time.

Don't forget the landmines and heavy machine gun emplacement - how else can anyone guarantee the safety of the students?
Feb 24, 2018 5:20 AM

May 2016
Police getting scared now? That's probably as worse as corrupt cops.

You know this profession can be dangerous and scary, why the fuck did you choose this? Either grow a spine and face your fears or resign and leave
ffs

Edit: Oh he resigned? Good.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Feb 25, 2018 7:20 AM

Feb 2018
I myself am not against ALL cops-but this is why so many people despise them. Many cops are corrupt and only care about themselves.
Feb 25, 2018 1:05 PM

Jun 2008
People think real life is like the movies.

In the minds of the Gun-Loving Right-Wing if EVERYONE had a gun, there would never be a mass shooting or at least if someone attempted a mass shooting that person would be gunned down by a "good guy with a gun".

The truth is, MOST humans panic in situations such as a crazy guy going around shooting people.

In the end it comes down to "Flight or Fight".

And the majority of us would choose "flight" to protect our own lives.....the need for self-preservation is stronger than the need to save others.

And if you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself.

Very rarely if ever will humans choose to save another life if it means sacrificing their own.
Feb 25, 2018 1:10 PM
Feb 2014
Remember kids, the people writing these articles WANT deputies to be scared shitless. And quite frankly, this guile coming from the userbase saying "police should do their jobs" are the same people who want chaotic anarchy and pigs in a blanket, fried like bacon because "muh institutionalized Nazism."
Feb 26, 2018 5:47 AM

Feb 2018
Uhhh why the hell would you sign up to be a cop if you can't handle the duties of being one? This cop literally signed up to be confronted with a scenario like this and he pussied out, and let this tragedy happen. Sorry, but I have zero respect for "cops" like these.
ExecCuteFeb 26, 2018 5:55 AM
Feb 26, 2018 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
this makes me so mad
teachers died protecting students, and even a 15 year old boy died holding the door open for others.
they did more than an armed sheriff
what the fuck
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.