Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2018 4:10 AM
Oct 2014
I noticed that it mentions Kondo likes "pure literature". This is a term I'm unfamiliar with and I couldn't get a clear definition out of google. Can someone help please?
Feb 18, 2018 12:47 AM

Oct 2015
It refers to 'classic' literature. Stuff like Ryuunosuke Akutagawa, Edogawa Ranpo, Dazai Ozamu, Edgar Allan Poe, etc.
Feb 18, 2018 12:55 AM

Apr 2016
Basically it's not a light novel.
Feb 18, 2018 12:57 AM

Apr 2012
I wouldn't say it's 'classic' literature, stuff like Jules Vernes/Dumas (and maybe Poe?) -- which are classics -- were meant to be adressed to the general public, and therefore aren't 'pure literature'.

So first of all, it's a dichotomy that only exists in Japan. It doesn't exist elsewhere, and honestly it's kind of hard to make sense of it.
The dichotomy opposes pure literature (junbunkaku) and mass media/popular literature (taishuubungaku).
It's briefly mentionned here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AJapanese_literature#%22Pure_Lit_vs._Pop_Lit%22_in_Japan?

To give an example, something like the Nouveau Roman would be considered pure literature in Japan (but of course nowhere else because it's a part of popular literature too).
EratiKFeb 18, 2018 1:05 AM
Feb 18, 2018 9:04 AM

Jan 2016
Pure Literature = Literary Fiction
Pop Literature = Genre Fiction
is what I believe.
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Feb 21, 2018 4:13 PM

Mar 2009
Pure literature would be something like the light novel Eromanga-sensei.
Feb 25, 2018 4:35 AM

Dec 2013
belles-lettres (genres of prose fiction)
Feb 16, 2023 7:20 PM
Aug 2017
Hello everyone, late to the party but I thought no good answer was given here, everyone is basically guessing or giving a very limited definition.

This specific literature distinction is a thing that we only find in Japan. It's junbungaku ("pure" literature) and taishubungaku (pop/mass literature). It's a very disputed thing in Japan as pop literature becomes ever more popular while pure literature has shown clear signs of fading. Honestly, it's a bit silly, in a way it can be viewed as grumpy academics/critics wanting to draw a line between the things they value and the things they don't. In the first place, there's no way to properly categorize what is pure and what is not or claim that something that is pop literature will not be seen as pure literature later in history, so even for them it's a bit vague, of course there are guidelines to follow but the framework seems a bit flimsy, it's not necessarily as easy as saying "this book is definitely pure literature or pop literature" after looking at its characteristics.

It's hard to understand what they mean just by saying pure literature and pop literature, it also clashes with western definitions of similar words. Pop, or "popular" literature, alternatively named "mass literature" is basically what the "masses" are supposed to enjoy consuming. By definition, they assume these to be less serious and made partly or solely for enjoyment, these include such things as novels, fiction and non-fiction meant to appeal to readers and be fun to read, it's for "the masses" to consume as a pastime. Then we have the so-called "pure" literature, this stuff is more "serious" literature, novels, books or whatever. It's supposed to be based on or closely tied to reality, the works doesn't necessarily aim to please the reader or be fun to read. Usually, this is the kind of stuff most people would think of as terribly dull and boring to read, often older classics but even newer works can fit into this category. Taken in another way, mass/pop literature is stuff people usually enjoy reading and critics/academics would frown upon commenting on, while pure literature is the stuff they feel is worthy of being analyzed and criticized.

I got very curious after reading a chapter of onii chan is done for/oniichan wa oshimai, specifically chapter 60 where "pure literature is recommended as a subject for school homework" and I was mighty curious about exactly what they meant even if I could assume from the context that it was boring stuff to read. So, since I couldn't find a good definition anywhere, not here either, I had to look around a bit on my own and found some journal articles. Here's the reference below if you're interested, I hope this will answer someone else's question in the future who was also curious:

Strecher, M. C. (1996). Purely Mass or Massively Pure? The Division Between “Pure” and “Mass” Literature. Monumenta Nipponica, 51(3), 357–374. https://doi.org/10.2307/2385614
SeregosaFeb 16, 2023 7:29 PM
Mar 7, 2023 3:30 PM

Dec 2016
Seregosa said:
Hello everyone, late to the party but I thought no good answer was given here, everyone is basically guessing or giving a very limited definition.

This specific literature distinction is a thing that we only find in Japan. It's junbungaku ("pure" literature) and taishubungaku (pop/mass literature). It's a very disputed thing in Japan as pop literature becomes ever more popular while pure literature has shown clear signs of fading. Honestly, it's a bit silly, in a way it can be viewed as grumpy academics/critics wanting to draw a line between the things they value and the things they don't. In the first place, there's no way to properly categorize what is pure and what is not or claim that something that is pop literature will not be seen as pure literature later in history, so even for them it's a bit vague, of course there are guidelines to follow but the framework seems a bit flimsy, it's not necessarily as easy as saying "this book is definitely pure literature or pop literature" after looking at its characteristics.

It's hard to understand what they mean just by saying pure literature and pop literature, it also clashes with western definitions of similar words. Pop, or "popular" literature, alternatively named "mass literature" is basically what the "masses" are supposed to enjoy consuming. By definition, they assume these to be less serious and made partly or solely for enjoyment, these include such things as novels, fiction and non-fiction meant to appeal to readers and be fun to read, it's for "the masses" to consume as a pastime. Then we have the so-called "pure" literature, this stuff is more "serious" literature, novels, books or whatever. It's supposed to be based on or closely tied to reality, the works doesn't necessarily aim to please the reader or be fun to read. Usually, this is the kind of stuff most people would think of as terribly dull and boring to read, often older classics but even newer works can fit into this category. Taken in another way, mass/pop literature is stuff people usually enjoy reading and critics/academics would frown upon commenting on, while pure literature is the stuff they feel is worthy of being analyzed and criticized.

I got very curious after reading a chapter of onii chan is done for/oniichan wa oshimai, specifically chapter 60 where "pure literature is recommended as a subject for school homework" and I was mighty curious about exactly what they meant even if I could assume from the context that it was boring stuff to read. So, since I couldn't find a good definition anywhere, not here either, I had to look around a bit on my own and found some journal articles. Here's the reference below if you're interested, I hope this will answer someone else's question in the future who was also curious:

Strecher, M. C. (1996). Purely Mass or Massively Pure? The Division Between “Pure” and “Mass” Literature. Monumenta Nipponica, 51(3), 357–374. https://doi.org/10.2307/2385614

Wow, great answer. Thanks
Jul 3, 2023 4:51 AM
Feb 2020
Seregosa said:

Thanks so much for your explaination!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2018

215 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2018

63 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2018

62 by bakakisima »»
Apr 1, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2018

84 by bakakisima »»
Apr 1, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2018

70 by bakakisima »»
Mar 30, 12:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.