New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 19, 2018 2:40 AM

Jan 2015
PhKay said:
UltimateDeath said:
Hey Everyone it's Ulti ;3
I'm a MAL Interviewer and I will conduct a Interview with @PhKay since he was been nominated :3
PM me questions on my MAL or Discord if you are interested in him getting certain questions you would like him to answer ;3

Looking forward to Wednesday! ^^

@Phkay
Actually if it's possible could we move it to Friday? OwO
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Feb 19, 2018 2:46 AM

Jan 2015
PhKay said:
UltimateDeath said:
Hey Everyone it's Ulti ;3
I'm a MAL Interviewer and I will conduct a Interview with @PhKay since he was been nominated :3
PM me questions on my MAL or Discord if you are interested in him getting certain questions you would like him to answer ;3

But it's still no problem Wednesday ;3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Feb 21, 2018 9:51 AM

Mar 2015
UltimateDeath said:
PhKay said:

@Phkay
Actually if it's possible could we move it to Friday? OwO
UltimateDeath said:
PhKay said:

But it's still no problem Wednesday ;3

I have work on Friday so if it´s no problem with you i´d prefer to do it now ^^
Feb 21, 2018 10:07 AM

Dec 2015
Welcome back! How was your trip?
Feb 21, 2018 10:22 AM

Dec 2015
How much time does it take you to create a survey?
Feb 23, 2018 10:09 AM

Apr 2014
Favorite CGDCT anime?

Feb 23, 2018 11:49 AM

Mar 2015
Gwathgor said:
PhKay said:

47 if i´m not mistaken but i have to look it up to be 100% sure once i´m back home.

It isn´t always easy to keep track as i was in six or seven countries more than once but all of my earlier, longer trips when i was still going with my parents as a teenager included up to 8 countries in the same journey.

Wow, that's a lot :D Which one have made the biggest impression on you?

As a fan of rural areas and breathtaking nature i have to say Bhutan was definitely the country leaving the biggest impact on me. I´m not a religious person but my whole time there was almost spiritual lol
It is a traditionally buddhist country embedded in the Himalaya mountains which voluntarily limits its involvement in the modern world a bit so it is unusually quiet and the landscapes are just unbelievable. I really felt at piece with myself and the world there. The greatest part was walking up the trail to the Tiger´s Nest, a bonzary sitting high up on a mountain cliff.

https://www.google.de/search?q=tigers+nest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIkeDz5rzZAhVOyqQKHdAmAm4Q_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=794

A similar but different experience was probably doing the Inka Trail to Macchu Picchu in Peru.
Feb 23, 2018 12:21 PM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
Which olympic events have you been to so far? And which was the best.

I was at the following events:

11th:
Luge: Men´s Singles Competition
12th:
Ice Hockey: Switzerland v Japan (Women)
Speed Skating: Womens 1500m
13th:
Alpine Skiing: Men´s Combined
14th:
Curling: spent the whole day there
15th/16th: nothing (went to Seoul)
17th:
Shorttrack: 1000m Men and 1500m Women
18th:
Ice Hockey: (all day, 4 group matches)
19th:
Curling: Morning Session (there´s always 4 games at a time)

My schedule was heavily influenced by the weather early on so the plan was entirely different but the wind forced cancellations of Alpine skiing and other outdoor events so we ended up at events going on indoors most of the time. All in all it was pretty cool.

I was happy to be one of like...well...400 people who watched Marcel Hirscher complete his legacy and finally becoming Olympic Champion haha
Originally i was going to two other alpine events but from where i stayed it isn´t all that easy to get there and after seeing the non-existing atmosphere there i decided not to go back to skiing.

While they generally had a hard time creating atmosphere and selling out events popular mostly in Europe, the bad weather in the first week gave the indoor sports a massive push as everybody went there instead. It was up to -25 degrees with an insanely constant wind so indoors is much more cosy haha

Seeing an entirely unexpected Gold medal by David Gleirscher at the luge at the first event i went to was awesome. Especially because almost at the same time Julian Eberhard missen a biathlon medal by 0,7 seconds and the only reason i picked luge over biathlon was that i realised it is impossible for me to get from the venue to my hotel at the time the event was over so in terms of infrastructure they did nothing for fans staying a little outside of the olympic area where hotel prizes are more than twice as high. When you go a tiny bit outside which is what i did, you are on your own -.-
PyeongChang is a town in the middle of nomansland (with nomansland public transport haha) you know, very unusual for Olympic Games which are usually centered around a city.

In terms of great atmosphere, my day at the Shorttrack was the best easily. It is an extremely popular sport in Korea and they even won one of the events on that day so there was a high energy in the building. Also i kind of like that sport, really spectacular and unpredictable.
The speed skating rink can keep up at the fan level but is much smaller and the Curling was fun too. As i said people who planned to go to outdoor events searched for alternatives indoors which gave Curling an unexpected push. It is actually one of the bigger sports of the Olympics for the first time!

I have regrets not making it to any Freestyle events. Especially i would have loved to see the Men´s Halfpipe with Shaun White but this was sold out way in advance. Organisers try to tell us most stuff is sold out but, i mean...everyone can see for themselves. A lot of places were empty at all times. Not this one though.
Feb 23, 2018 12:36 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
Welcome back! How was your trip?

It was really, really cold and really, really windy haha

Definitely disappointing Olympic Games as a whole when you look at the audiences at many events and in terms of organisation it wasn´t made easy for fans living a little outside of the olympic area but for everything involving the games themselves, just read my response to Domenca right above this post ^^

Apart from the Olympics it was just the typical rural asian area i travelled to quite a few times in the past. There isn´t too much too see in the Pyeongchang area though apart from a few shrines so my trip was heavily focused on the sports.

I took a break to go to Seoul for two days though which is unusual for me as huge cities are rarely interesting for me as a fan of nature but i could not leave it out as i went there over a decade ago and it was one of my favorite cities ever so going back was great. The architecture, the lights at night (!) and the vivid night life gave me an awesome time. I found it quite remarkable that when you go to the big city which is only a little less than 150km away from the Olympic venues, you can´t even tell Korea is hosting the games and for sure if you wanna attract your own people to the sports, Seoul would be the place to do it but nope...absolutely nothing at all.

Whatever, all in all i enjoyed it. I´m too much of a sports fan to let myself get distracted and i have been victim to poor organisation at events a few times before. Also it was the first time in five years i travelled for over a week all by myself. I think i needed some time away from my usual environment and i kind of feel refreshed and reenergized :-)

Also, meeting new folks from all over the world is always cool so definitely a nice trip. However as a sports fan this one won´t make my highlight list but oh well, the overall experience was alright.
Feb 23, 2018 12:40 PM

Mar 2015
Gwathgor said:
How much time does it take you to create a survey?

Not long anymore at this point as i have all the different formats i use in rotation as a template by now so the main focus is including a few creative and unusual questions into the survey apart from the reoccurring obvious ones.

Depending on how long it takes me to come up with these, i´d say from the moment i sit down until i would be ready to post i can create a new survey in 45-60mins.

However, coming up with new topics, creating the survey, posting, collecting results and doing victory ceremonies added together a survey does add up to about 3 hours of total work approximately.
Feb 23, 2018 12:45 PM

Mar 2015
Demonarion said:
Favorite CGDCT anime?

The first season of K-On! was a serious contender to take over as Nr. 1 but the series as a whole couldn´t keep up later so...

Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ga? is still the cutest, the weirdest and the one full of the most nonsense which i think is a necessary requirement for the CGDCT subgenre.

I generally like Cute Girls Doing Normal Things more though lol
Yama no Susume, the currently airing Yuru Camp or Tamako Market would be great examples for that.
Feb 23, 2018 4:01 PM

Dec 2013
Did you hear about Elizabeth Swaney, who competed in ski halfpipe for Hungary (she is american with hungarian grandparents) in the olympics and she can't even do any tricks? She used a "loophole" to qualify. What do you think of it? What do you think of other "turists" in olympics (athletes that are significantly less skilled than most of the others)?
Feb 23, 2018 4:45 PM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
Did you hear about Elizabeth Swaney, who competed in ski halfpipe for Hungary (she is american with hungarian grandparents) in the olympics and she can't even do any tricks? She used a "loophole" to qualify. What do you think of it? What do you think of other "turists" in olympics (athletes that are significantly less skilled than most of the others)?

lol yeah that was funny. It reminds me a lot of Eddie the Eagle, the legendary british ski jumper.
She invested a lot of time and money to get to the Olympic Games which initially were founded as a platform for amateur sports. It isn´t ages ago that it was PROFESSIONALS who were not welcome at the Olympics as you may or may not know the case of Franz Klammer´s disqualification in the 70s.

To qualify for the halfpipe you have to finish Top 24 in a cleaned ranking which eliminates the 5th best athlete (and worse) from the same country and she managed to do that. She can actually do tricks and she practises the sport. It is just that the reward for risking the tricks isn´t worth it as her tricks are of low difficulty and so she gets more points not even trying and finishing her run without fallling.

If anything i think she is extremely smart (she actually is as she is a Harvard alumni lol). She didn´t make up the qualifying rules or the points system of freestyle skiing. If you give away points for the Top 30 when most of your events don´t even have 30 entrants, someone will take advantage of that.

I´m a little surprised her case got so much attention given how many skiiers, most noticeably the two north koreans who finished over a minute behind Myhrer in the Slalom, performed.

Generally i think these folks add something to the Olympics. The are like comedy relief characters in anime haha

I just think they should not be allowed to compete in sports with a high element of danger or in a sport where you have direct contact with your opponents as they might interfere with the professionals. There was an incident with a cross country skier in the Nordic World Championships a few years back where a guy from Togo interfered with a swedish pro who is well capable of winning medals. He was overlapped and unable to get out of the way, causing the swede to lose 15 seconds and therefore the qualification for the final so as long as stuff like this cannot happen in a sport, i´m all for the exotic dudes living their dream.

Hell i´d totally do it if i was given the chance to make an idiot out of myself on the Olympic stage!

Feb 23, 2018 4:50 PM

Dec 2013
PhKay said:

Hell i´d totally do it if i was given the chance to make an idiot out of myself on the Olympic stage!

Which sport would you choose and which country?
Feb 23, 2018 8:16 PM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
PhKay said:

Which sport would you choose and which country?

hmmm difficult decisions to make! Of course in reality you just go for the country that is okay with this kind of thing. Some (like Hungary it seems for example...) apparently are not. The hungarian media had no kind words at all for their freestyle girl :(

As an Olympian clown, of course the more exotic and tiny a country is, the more effective it is for drawing nternational attention. Therefore the carribean island state of Palau, the least populated member country of the IOC, seems like the perfect choice to do some figure skating for. I could just run around aimlessly not doing anything and dancing to the music. I´d probably fall down on the ice multiple times while shaking my slightly overweight body ;)

If i had slight ambitions though i´d pick the alpine skiing technical events because i actually can ski a bit and i fancy myself to beat a few guys i saw this year. I think i can go within 20 seconds of the best in a giant slalom (per run that is lol).

---------------

In Summer the perfect sport to embarrass myself would be swimming. Remember the exotic guy in Rio who looked like he might drown?! This could have been me!

Again with tiny ambitions in mind i´d go for a precision sport. As a darts player i might do quite ok in archery for example. It is of course entirely different technically but the focusing aspects and setup to get ready are very similar.

Summer also has the advantage that i may not have to search for a country to take me in in the first place...i mean...we scored a single Bronze medal in the last two summer games COMBINED so how could i possible do a worse job than our professionals already do :p No offense to our summer athletes of course haha
Feb 24, 2018 8:46 AM

Apr 2014
What kind of anime chars do you like the most and which ones do you like the least?

Feb 24, 2018 4:09 PM

Mar 2015
Demonarion said:
What kind of anime chars do you like the most and which ones do you like the least?

As for female characters i have a strong tendency to end up with the tsunderes as best girl and in SoL i really like the overexited energetic types which motivate the whole group.

The males i like the most are rather shy but act when it matters most. I hate it when an MC runs his mouth and then acts all shocked when shit happens lol

Turnoffs are characters who lack common sense... and hotheads...hotheads are stupid!
Feb 24, 2018 5:51 PM

May 2014
So, you watched the first Gintama movie before watching anything else from the franchise... how did that happen?
Feb 24, 2018 5:58 PM

Mar 2015
Sethlans said:
So, you watched the first Gintama movie before watching anything else from the franchise... how did that happen?

Actually i watched that during my stay in Korea as it aired coincidentally (in english with korean subs) and i gave it a shot since i cannot withstand any anime movie airing on free TV randomly as you hardly see any anime there.

Gintama has so much material out there already so i thought the movie was a good chance for me to figure out if i enjoy it enough to eventually watch all of it. I can´t see myself doing so though. I see how the hype on MAL around it became to be and why shounen fans celebrate it but it is just not really my kind of humor.
Feb 24, 2018 6:25 PM

May 2014
PhKay said:

Actually i watched that during my stay in Korea as it aired coincidentally (in english with korean subs) and i gave it a shot since i cannot withstand any anime movie airing on free TV randomly as you hardly see any anime there.

Gintama has so much material out there already so i thought the movie was a good chance for me to figure out if i enjoy it enough to eventually watch all of it. I can´t see myself doing so though. I see how the hype on MAL around it became to be and why shounen fans celebrate it but it is just not really my kind of humor.

Honestly man, I don't think the Benizakura arc is a good way to judge Gintama since it is quite different from what you can usually see in the show (at least I seem to remember that arc was unusual, it's been years since I watched it), but I see where you come from. I got tired of Gintama years ago and I haven't advanced much ever since I decided to rewatch it last year. No matter how funny it is, all that randomness gets tiresome after a while.

I won't bother you with questions about your trip since other people have done that already, but I'm kinda drawing a blank here so... best anime of the season so far? (Damn, I need to come up with better questions).
Feb 24, 2018 6:37 PM

Mar 2015
Sethlans said:
PhKay said:

Honestly man, I don't think the Benizakura arc is a good way to judge Gintama since it is quite different from what you can usually see in the show (at least I seem to remember that arc was unusual, it's been years since I watched it), but I see where you come from. I got tired of Gintama years ago and I haven't advanced much ever since I decided to rewatch it last year. No matter how funny it is, all that randomness gets tiresome after a while.

I won't bother you with questions about your trip since other people have done that already, but I'm kinda drawing a blank here so... best anime of the season so far? (Damn, I need to come up with better questions).

almost forgot: Seth! how´s it going? We kinda took a break talking as i was gone -.-
Never mind asking trip questions in case there´s something left unanswered hehe

The best anime of the season so far for me is Yuru Camp. Then again, i´m only watching four airing shows so how meaningful that is for now is up to you to decide.

Anyways, Yuru Camp is one of these cute-ish Slice of Life shows which are pretty much right up my alley. It is extremely slow and highly relaxing. Just girls going camping in the greater area around Mount Fuji.

It is enormously calm and for sure not for everybody but i just love to look at all the pretty nature it features and relax plus it is pretty moe as well with kinda chliched characters...in a good way that is ^^

edit: oh yeah Gintama! Almost forgot...obviously if the movie is entirely different i wouldn´t notice so i keep that in mind. Gues i should check at least a few episodes of the regular TV series at random after all.
Feb 25, 2018 7:44 AM

Dec 2015
How do you like Sora yori mo Tooi Basho so far?
Feb 25, 2018 9:22 AM

Mar 2015
Gwathgor said:
How do you like Sora yori mo Tooi Basho so far?

I really enjoy the main plot and how it is executed. Since journeys have a fascination on me in general and especially when they go to such unusual places as Antarctica. This is pretty well done so far.
I was especially impressed with the build-up until the ship leaves because this had to be done rather quickly since this is only a 13 episode show. Fitting all character introductions as well as all preparations and political struggles until they get green-lit for the expedition into 5 episodes without giving away the feeling that going to such a place is a piece of cake is not easy but it was handled really good. It never felt rushed at all.

I also think this is, apart from the young age of the protagonists, a rather realistic depiction of how such an expedition is set up as far as i can judge obviously.

I think the main girls are all a bit too similar as characters. I´ve gotten so used to tropes in all girls main casts that i kind of miss it when it is not there lol You know, when one is the shy type, one is the energetic one and so on...these girls are all rather similar but not unlikeable so it´s ok.

The art is also a slight letdown. What´s up with the white "frames" around all characters?!

All in all i´m happy with the watch. For the rest of the series i hope they make the setting foot on Antarctica episode as special as possible and that the whole story about Shirase´s motivation surrounding her mother won´t get over-dramatised.
Feb 25, 2018 12:00 PM

Apr 2014
When it comes to politics, what is your most unpopular opinion?
No validation, no applause
You don't have prove you got it when you know it's yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSKDIcpdSE
Feb 25, 2018 12:44 PM

Mar 2015
Mikochondria said:

well, compared to the majority of people in my country, pretty much every position have is somewhat unpopular. I´m stuck in a mainly rural country where 70% of people grow up with quite traditional and conservative ideals.

However, i am from Vienna. The only big city in Austria. Things are very different here. It is a somewhat "left", world-open city so my progressive viewpoints are a no-go for most people here outside of Vienna.

Among friends and people i spend time talking with, my most unpopular opinion by far is me being supportive of college tuition fees. Everyone seems to view it as a way to keep poorer people from education and basically keep the powerful in power.

The party i voted for in the last elections (we voted last year) came up with this idea of delayed tuition fees which i think is really smart. You only pay college costs once you started working at the pace of 3-5% of your monthly income until you paid off your education.

We have too many people signing up for university in various fields basically because they know it doesn´t cost anything and they have no financial trouble when they just quit, leading to the universities to have to decline many people who actually take it serious 100% and want to work in their field later in their lives. I think the delayed tuition fee system would limit the problem.

Another thing is military service. We have a mandatory draft for all male citizens as a pretty small country which isn´t of any significance in the big picture. I pretty much think we could eliminate our military draft entirely which is something about 65-70% of austrians disagree with. We only need a tiny military on a voluntary basis so that we can take part in international peace keeping missions. Also in the long run, a European Union wide all-professional military is gonna come, where all soldiers will defend all EU member countries if necessary regardless of their home country so forcing folks to to basic training just to have numbers should become obsolete.
Feb 25, 2018 12:52 PM

Dec 2015

How cold is really, really cold and how does it compare to really cold or really, really, really cold?

Apart from the Olympics it was just the typical rural asian area i travelled to quite a few times in the past.

What are some of the best rural areas in the world?
Feb 25, 2018 1:40 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:

How cold is really, really cold and how does it compare to really cold or really, really, really cold?

Apart from the Olympics it was just the typical rural asian area i travelled to quite a few times in the past.

What are some of the best rural areas in the world?

as a finn, you might be used to even colder. However, in Vienna -18 is the coldest temperature measured since i was born. The coldest day i had while at the Olympics was -24 but this does not include the wind chill factor at all so the "felt temperature" was a bit lower thanks to the winds.

The coldest temperature i ever experienced was -34 in northern Canada (well...not really way up north...but more north than where all the bigger cities are).

As for differences: if i consider normal Vienna winter temperatures "cold" and the lower is ever experienced really, really, really cold, then -10 would be the right temperature to add the first really and -20 the minimum requirement for the 2nd really. So basically, every ten degrees you add a really or so haha

0 to -9: cold
-10 to -19: really cold
-20 to -29: really really cold
-30 to no idea how that shit feels: really really really cold

well, at a certain point i guess it doesn´t even matter anymore. I wanna go to the South Pole just so i know what it´s like and i probably never feel cold again afterwards -.-

rural areas:

As a Japan fan, I especially enjoyed northwest Kyushu (on a map that would be the area between Fukuoka and Nagasaki) It features both silent, green, beautiful nothingness and mountains. A popular volcano accessable easily for tourists is there (Unzen) near the city of Shimabara. There are charming little towns ranging from 500 to 3,000 citizens with lots of traditional houses, shrines and hot springs (anime didn´t lie! they really exist!) in between. Googling "kyushu onsen heaven" is totally worth a look haha

Then if you like it mountainous there would be the whole country of Bhutan.

Last but not least in Asia there´s the chinese province of Yunnan and especially the area along the Mekong river. Riverside towns there are quite nice, the legendary city of Shangri-La is within a 3 hours trip and the landscapes are dominated by villages living from rice cultivation so you get to see tiered rice fields.

Places elsewhere:

Inka Trail, Macchu Picchu in Peru. Has the advantage of the starting point usually being Cusco which is a pretty 300,000 people city. Often good "basic camps" for rural trips are hard to find.

The midlands of Ireland and Scotland. Especially interesting for Whisk(e)y lovers. Especially in Ireland i visited a few distilleries and stuff ^^ This is also highly recommendable if people don´t like it to be too rural but prefer towns and small cities instead of wild nature.
Feb 25, 2018 3:38 PM

Sep 2017
When you travel how long before the departure do you start organizing the trip? Is there a method you always use for organizing your travelling?
Feb 25, 2018 4:52 PM

Mar 2015
Akaraed said:
When you travel how long before the departure do you start organizing the trip? Is there a method you always use for organizing your travelling?

Depends on the complexity of the trip obviously. I plan very long in advance when i go to multiple countries at once. I spend a lot of time online trying to find out everything i need to know starting from important local customs to finding spots i want to see, how to get there etc.

This can be really hard as i often avoid typical tourist destinations. Also since i combine everything i can with sports, i always try to find out what the major sports there are, when the season starts, how to purchase tickets and so on.

This forces me to complete my schedule somewhat late as sports schedules aren´t fixed more than six months in advance, usually more like 3 months.

Checklist:

1. Where do i primarily want to go/what do i need to see?
2. Which other places could i combine with that place without bombing my budget?
3. Do i need visas for those destinations and if so, when do i have to apply?
4. How do i get to each place?
5. Where can i stay?
6. Research everything sports related which won´t get in the way of anything else .
7. Search for other groundhoppers who are there at the same time and get in contact with them if there are any.
8. Plan out the entire route as good as possible.
9. Book everything and pay as much as possible in advance. I hate running around with tons of cash.
10. Wait for the day to come around and here we go!

_____

The longest i ever planned in advance was four years when we took a tour following the Mekong river from source to mouth as good as possible in an adventure kind of trip. It hardly goes through any major cities and is far away from where people are used to seeing tourists so we had to do a lot of research on dangers and possibilities. We wanted to be near the river or ON the river basically all the time if possible and if not, stay as close to it as possible.

On the way you go through five countries, two of which do not let tourists travel around on their own without a guide even for a second. Since this is obviously no advertised route you can take planning included stuff like mailing back and forth if things could be made possible and if so, how much it would cost. There´s not really a good place to stay either and camping can be quite uncomfortable to say the least. You also do not want to get in the way of farmers as that river is the lifeline for millions of people so it was really an awful lot of work making it happen and when we did, it still was no way near perfect and we were forced to take routes where we were no way near the river for a whole day more than once.

It was still worth it just to be able to say i did that crazy kind of journey but i definitely would not do it again, let alone recommend it to anyone.

Feb 26, 2018 5:51 AM

Apr 2014
PhKay said:
Mikochondria said:

well, compared to the majority of people in my country, pretty much every position have is somewhat unpopular. I´m stuck in a mainly rural country where 70% of people grow up with quite traditional and conservative ideals.

However, i am from Vienna. The only big city in Austria. Things are very different here. It is a somewhat "left", world-open city so my progressive viewpoints are a no-go for most people here outside of Vienna.

Among friends and people i spend time talking with, my most unpopular opinion by far is me being supportive of college tuition fees. Everyone seems to view it as a way to keep poorer people from education and basically keep the powerful in power.

The party i voted for in the last elections (we voted last year) came up with this idea of delayed tuition fees which i think is really smart. You only pay college costs once you started working at the pace of 3-5% of your monthly income until you paid off your education.

We have too many people signing up for university in various fields basically because they know it doesn´t cost anything and they have no financial trouble when they just quit, leading to the universities to have to decline many people who actually take it serious 100% and want to work in their field later in their lives. I think the delayed tuition fee system would limit the problem.

Another thing is military service. We have a mandatory draft for all male citizens as a pretty small country which isn´t of any significance in the big picture. I pretty much think we could eliminate our military draft entirely which is something about 65-70% of austrians disagree with. We only need a tiny military on a voluntary basis so that we can take part in international peace keeping missions. Also in the long run, a European Union wide all-professional military is gonna come, where all soldiers will defend all EU member countries if necessary regardless of their home country so forcing folks to to basic training just to have numbers should become obsolete.

We probably disagree on a majority of political issues, but on this I agree actually haha.

>Among friends and people i spend time talking with, my most unpopular opinion by far is me being supportive of college tuition fees. Everyone seems to view it as a way to keep poorer people from education and basically keep the powerful in power.

I'm alright with the state having nice interest loans to help with this cost, but yes, I believe in tuition. The only people it messes with are people studying "useless" degrees, and if anything this might help decentralize the education system and motivate people to learn things on their own. I'd never go to university to learn a non-license based skill, unless I desperately needed it on my CV (i.e. the "elite" economics course in my country that is pretty much only for merits and contacts).

>Another thing is military service. We have a mandatory draft for all male citizens as a pretty small country which isn´t of any significance in the big picture. I pretty much think we could eliminate our military draft entirely which is something about 65-70% of austrians disagree with. We only need a tiny military on a voluntary basis so that we can take part in international peace keeping missions. Also in the long run, a European Union wide all-professional military is gonna come, where all soldiers will defend all EU member countries if necessary regardless of their home country so forcing folks to to basic training just to have numbers should become obsolete.

Being forced to fight to your death for a country just because you were born there and the gov says so is immoral. We disagree on the reasons but agree on the results.

Also, what on earth is the appeal of watching sports?

Feb 26, 2018 12:32 PM

Dec 2015
Which season of Jigoku Shoujo do you consider the best?
Feb 26, 2018 1:12 PM

May 2014
PhKay said:

almost forgot: Seth! how´s it going? We kinda took a break talking as i was gone -.-

Yeah, it had been a while, huh? I'm pretty good actually, thanks for asking. While you were having fun in Korea, I had a few rather busy days and it seems like things won't change too much this week, but I'm doing fairly well, all things considered.

Oh, and just to close the Gintama subject, if you really want to watch a random episode, 79 is a very good example of what Gintama truly is like.

The best anime of the season so far for me is Yuru Camp. Then again, i´m only watching four airing shows so how meaningful that is for now is up to you to decide.

Anyways, Yuru Camp is one of these cute-ish Slice of Life shows which are pretty much right up my alley. It is extremely slow and highly relaxing. Just girls going camping in the greater area around Mount Fuji.

It is enormously calm and for sure not for everybody but i just love to look at all the pretty nature it features and relax plus it is pretty moe as well with kinda chliched characters...in a good way that is ^^

Actually, four shows is more or less the amount I end up watching every season, so that should be meaningful enough for me.

What's the most relaxing anime you've seen? You know, besides Yuru Camp.
Feb 27, 2018 9:20 AM

Dec 2015
PhKay said:

as a finn, you might be used to even colder. However, in Vienna -18 is the coldest temperature measured since i was born. The coldest day i had while at the Olympics was -24 but this does not include the wind chill factor at all so the "felt temperature" was a bit lower thanks to the winds.

If I was outside the whole day in -24 when its really, really windy I would wear something over my hoodie and under my one layer of trousers, which I haven’t in three years mind you, so you get a “sytemet approves it was cold” mark!

The coldest temperature i ever experienced was -34 in northern Canada (well...not really way up north...but more north than where all the bigger cities are).

Rarely gets worse than that in Finland, though I’d say -24 when its really, really windy is probably worse. Well, depends on clothing also, I guess. Wind tends to go through everything I wear.

Is 10 to 0 not really cold or really not cold?

Let’s imagine I had some free time and money wasn’t a problem. Where should I go if I wanted to see the world? Also when did you get into traveling and how much does it cost you each year?
Feb 28, 2018 11:42 AM

Mar 2015
Mikochondria said:
PhKay said:

We probably disagree on a majority of political issues, but on this I agree actually haha.

>Among friends and people i spend time talking with, my most unpopular opinion by far is me being supportive of college tuition fees. Everyone seems to view it as a way to keep poorer people from education and basically keep the powerful in power.

I'm alright with the state having nice interest loans to help with this cost, but yes, I believe in tuition. The only people it messes with are people studying "useless" degrees, and if anything this might help decentralize the education system and motivate people to learn things on their own. I'd never go to university to learn a non-license based skill, unless I desperately needed it on my CV (i.e. the "elite" economics course in my country that is pretty much only for merits and contacts).

>Another thing is military service. We have a mandatory draft for all male citizens as a pretty small country which isn´t of any significance in the big picture. I pretty much think we could eliminate our military draft entirely which is something about 65-70% of austrians disagree with. We only need a tiny military on a voluntary basis so that we can take part in international peace keeping missions. Also in the long run, a European Union wide all-professional military is gonna come, where all soldiers will defend all EU member countries if necessary regardless of their home country so forcing folks to to basic training just to have numbers should become obsolete.

Being forced to fight to your death for a country just because you were born there and the gov says so is immoral. We disagree on the reasons but agree on the results.

can´t agree more with your last statement about the immorality of draft military. What i did not mention and what may be important is that in Austria, the military is also responsible for non-defense stuff, most importantly disaster management and prevention. For example, floodings are somewhat common here.

------------------

Explaining the fascination of sports to someone indifferent to competitions is really hard because honestly, i do not know what exactly makes me feel drawn to it in such a huge way. I am drawn mostly to fans and audiences and the atmospheres they create. The sport itself isn´t the most important part for me which is key as i attend a ton of events where i do not care much for the result.

It is easier to explain on a club level. Supporting a club makes you part of a community sharing the same interests and goals. When i can identify with a club´s philosophy and they have awesome support, it is really easy to feel connected to it. I´m in a huge majority of folks in the world in this regard i guess, given how many people worldwide are actively or passively involved with sports.

Sports has gained a massive importance in the world for it is a possibility to satisfy the human need for competition without hating or killing one another lol Wanting to be the strongest, smartest...whatever is genetically within us i think.
Feb 28, 2018 11:51 AM

Mar 2015
Gwathgor said:
Which season of Jigoku Shoujo do you consider the best?

It isn´t an easy choice between the first two seasons. While the first season has the better major supporting characters in Hajime and his daughter, the 2nd season introduces Kikuri instead who had little appeal to me.

However, all in all i think that Futakomori is the slightly better season and therefore the best of them all despite the absence of Hajime. It simply has the most cruel and intense hell-sending cases which is the most important part of this highly episodical anime after all. Also it is the season featuring the backstories of all henchmen and in the epic ending, of Enma herself. Those episodes were absolutely fantastic, finally revealing to the fans how the group came together after everything was kept shrouded in mystery. I think Jigoku Shoujo found the perfect timing to reveal the pasts of all main characters.

On a sidenote: i reviewed the first three seasons of Hell Girl so if you wanna know my overall impression you can find it in my review section. I kinda think i should update it to include the fourth season but since they buried the series with it i think would start crying while trying to write it haha
Feb 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Mar 2015
Sethlans said:
PhKay said:

Yeah, it had been a while, huh? I'm pretty good actually, thanks for asking. While you were having fun in Korea, I had a few rather busy days and it seems like things won't change too much this week, but I'm doing fairly well, all things considered.

Oh, and just to close the Gintama subject, if you really want to watch a random episode, 79 is a very good example of what Gintama truly is like.

Actually, four shows is more or less the amount I end up watching every season, so that should be meaningful enough for me.

What's the most relaxing anime you've seen? You know, besides Yuru Camp.

haha..."while is was having fun in Korea..." don´t phrase it in such a way that i feel bad :p Good to hear you are doing just fine though of course despite being busy ^^

You gotta be quite happy with Medellin´s start to the new season, being on a four game winning streak after dropping the season opener!

Also if 79 is "what Gintama is really like" ,why did it take 78 episodes to get there? lol

-------------------------------
a good amount of anime (more or less all Slice of Life shows) offer relaxation for the viewer in sense that you can switch your brain off and just enjoy mostly lovely females doing normal stuff. So leaving this aside i´m gonna name three with more depth to it and are very relaxing regardless.

obviously, there is MUSHISHI, the most quiet anime ever probably. Just a single man travelling through the nothingness of 15th/16th (?) century Japan, going from village to village and helping human beings suffering from health issues caused by mythical life forms called mushi. It is absolutely stunning how relaxing it is despite being quite sad and dark at times.

BARTENDER is a wonderful niche anime following a Bartender (surprise surprise!) at work. He welcomes costumers who had a hard time or tough day to his bar, offers an open ear and good advice to them and mixes them the perfect cocktail. Very close to real life troubles and a must watch for everyone who likes cocktails as you learn so much about them along the way. Brilliant stuff far away from what you usually see in anime.

HAIBANE RENMEI is the most brain wrecking yet still relaxing show. It is philosophical to the max but even while trying to figure out where all the puzzle pieces thrown at you fit, it is still highly relaxing due to its calm nature and laid back characters despite it requiring your full attention at all times.

Feb 28, 2018 1:17 PM

Apr 2014
PhKay said:
Mikochondria said:

can´t agree more with your last statement about the immorality of draft military. What i did not mention and what may be important is that in Austria, the military is also responsible for non-defense stuff, most importantly disaster management and prevention. For example, floodings are somewhat common here.

------------------

Explaining the fascination of sports to someone indifferent to competitions is really hard because honestly, i do not know what exactly makes me feel drawn to it in such a huge way. I am drawn mostly to fans and audiences and the atmospheres they create. The sport itself isn´t the most important part for me which is key as i attend a ton of events where i do not care much for the result.

It is easier to explain on a club level. Supporting a club makes you part of a community sharing the same interests and goals. When i can identify with a club´s philosophy and they have awesome support, it is really easy to feel connected to it. I´m in a huge majority of folks in the world in this regard i guess, given how many people worldwide are actively or passively involved with sports.

Sports has gained a massive importance in the world for it is a possibility to satisfy the human need for competition without hating or killing one another lol Wanting to be the strongest, smartest...whatever is genetically within us i think.

Fair enough

Feb 28, 2018 1:33 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
PhKay said:

If I was outside the whole day in -24 when its really, really windy I would wear something over my hoodie and under my one layer of trousers, which I haven’t in three years mind you, so you get a “sytemet approves it was cold” mark!

Rarely gets worse than that in Finland, though I’d say -24 when its really, really windy is probably worse. Well, depends on clothing also, I guess. Wind tends to go through everything I wear.

Is 10 to 0 not really cold or really not cold?

Let’s imagine I had some free time and money wasn’t a problem. Where should I go if I wanted to see the world? Also when did you get into traveling and how much does it cost you each year?

well, if you approve it was cold, it must have been cold! haha
Wind chill is such a nasty thing. I always have trouble keeping me warm as i feel extremely uncomfortable in many layers of clothes. I hate being restricted in my movement. -8 currently in Vienna btw

I do not consider plus temperatures as cold. Also the higher up the temperature goes, the more different 2-3 degrees more feel. It hardly matters if it has -20 or 24 while the difference between 6 and 10 is more obvious so thinking in 10 degree steps won´t do anymore once we get out of sub zero.

So judging by the choices i was given, 0-5 is not really cold (but still somewhat cold) while 6-10 is really not cold (anymore). Once we reach 10, a pullover is good enough for me and the winter attire remains at home. 8 and more is autumn and i can´t help but only accept winter temperatures as cold ;)

My grandmother saved up pretty much her entire life...and then she died. This is not the right time to talk about the sense of basically living your life in such a way that others profit more than yourself so i just move on. I was 9 when she passed away and my parents decided to use the money we inherited on exploring the world so since i was a kid, it wasn´t really my choice. That money was never touched for another reason than travelling at all by the way.

So from age 9, i started going places very regularly with my parents. Until i was 17 or so, it was normal for me to spend ten of the fourteen school-free weeks a year abroad. When i was 22 (i think) our travel budget was gone so once that happened, i travelled for "only" three weeks a year or so as this is what my income allows me. For example after the olympics now, it is unlikely i will go on another bigger trip until Summer 2020.

Since paying myself, i´d say i spend a total of 2500-3000€ for travelling each year, all included. That´s basically the "extra money" i get for holiday allowance, christmas allowance and tips i make over the year.

places to go in the world (and no, i haven´t been to all of them lol)

SON DOONG CAVE, Vietnam

https://www.google.de/search?q=cave+vietnam&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=lvcJ-jTJTLrmfM%253A%252CdEnM4Kj4EucDtM%252C_&usg=__IofBjIAcqua9GmhUlVblXtKuaoc%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifq-rPwMnZAhWIbVAKHc3UAcoQ9QEIYzAE#imgrc=lvcJ-jTJTLrmfM:

the worlds largest explorable cave!
-------------------------------------------------------------

CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY

considered the prettiest railway route in the world. While it runs through the wild nature of Canada, it also stops in many major cities so this train is perfect if you wanna see a lot of Canada within 2-3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROXY FALLS, Oregon, USA

To catch awesome waterfalls, one can always go to the obvious Niagara Falls. However a less known alternative is the Proxy Falls area in Oregon, a bunch of waterfalls producing quite cool light effects

https://www.google.de/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ERmXWrewFoP4wALEoISwDA&q=proxy+falls&oq=proxy+falls&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i19k1l7j0i30i19k1l2j0i5i30i19k1.363074.367209.0.367359.11.11.0.0.0.0.167.821.8j1.9.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.9.818...0j0i67k1j0i30k1.0.UQtn0x6ky8s

---------------------------------------

ISTANBUL

To finally catch a major city and get to know some oriental lifestyle, the metropole of Turkey is a must see. Full of amazing food, amazing people and things to see. A city of great beauty and rich history. The revolving door between east and west.

MIDLANDS OF ENGLAND

This is to cover some mythical and weird stuff while also getting some fresh air and relaxation. Also since it is England, everything is easy to combine with sports if someone is as interested in it as i am. Must stops are the so called crop circle area in which many crop circle mysteriously appear and of course Stonehenge.

---------------------------------------------------------

BHUTAN

My favorite trip of all time and THE PLACE to get a feeling of the Himalaya without going all professional on climbing. For many a spiritual experience which allows you to explore traditional buddhist lifestyle and architecture as well as catching breathtaking impressions on the worlds highest mountains.

---------------------------------------------------------

so now we´ve took a train tour, saw the world´s largest cave, the highest mountains, the prettiest waterfalls...we checked a huge city and saw many different cultures...what´s left to do? Maybe an ocean trip? There are three possibilities to choose from in my opinion, based on personal taste, everyone should be fine with one of the three...

either...

SYDNEY. Australia if someone wants to check out what is probably the prettiest large city by the sea.

or...

if someone just wants to completely escape from his stressful life and go to a somewhat secluded place without passing on luxury, one should hide-out in the overwater bungalows in BORA BORA, POLYNESIA and let himself get spoiled and renewed to the maximum. Bring a lot of money though...just to be safe haha

https://www.google.de/search?biw=1600&bih=794&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=HR-XWr_rMo7dwQKWn63ADA&q=bora+bora+luxury+resort&oq=bora+bora+luxury+resort&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i19k1.8245.14375.0.14466.23.16.7.0.0.0.174.1352.9j5.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.12.751...0j0i7i30k1j0i7i5i30k1j0i67k1j0i8i7i30k1j0i5i30k1.0.mga_2qG_HIk

and the final option would be a cruise trip. Since we spend weeks on a train, why not do the same thing on a boat...i recommend a cruise tour though the south pacific, with stops in Fiji, Samoa, Kiribati and a crossing of the international date line to involve a bit of oddity.

Mar 1, 2018 8:49 AM

Apr 2014
Thoughts on Tsuki ga Kirei?

Mar 1, 2018 10:09 AM

Mar 2015
Demonarion said:
Thoughts on Tsuki ga Kirei?

Guess this has to go into spoiler tags. Glad you watched it since i have no clue how to express my feelings here without spoilering...

Mar 1, 2018 6:32 PM

Nov 2014
Will you go to Russia for the World Cup 2018? :P
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 2, 2018 5:08 AM

Dec 2013
What are your oscars winners predictions?
Mar 2, 2018 11:47 AM

Mar 2015
Izanagi777 said:
Will you go to Russia for the World Cup 2018? :P

Money and time only allowed me to choose between the Winter Olympics which just ended recently and the World Cup and i decided to go to Korea for the Olympic Games.

I can´t rule out a brief stay of 3-4 days in Moscow for one or two matches as a friend recently was there, found incredibly cheap plane tickets and he was also surprised at how cheap life is in Moscow in comparison to what we are used to where i am. So if those offers are still available for the time the tournament comes around there is a 50-50 chance i pay the World Cup a brief visit.

I can definitely rule out a longer stay though and i have a slight tendency to pass on it entirely and save up everything and as much as possible to maybe be able to spend the entire Tokyo 2020 summer olympics in Japan. This would also force me to pass on the Rugby World Cup next year though which is gonna be a tough decision to make haha
Mar 2, 2018 11:54 AM

Mar 2015
Domenca said:
What are your oscars winners predictions?

I have absolutely no clue because this year, i haven´t seen any of the nominated movies. Judging by the nominations i guess The Shape of Water will have a big night with 7-8 oscars.

I kinda hope Gary Oldman wins because of his opinions on Awards in general lol he has been involved in a couple of controversies in this regard so it would be fun to have that moment of awkwardness on stage when nobody knows what he is going to say.

Meryl Streep the acting goddess is nominated as best actress. Not a good thing for everybody else.

I feel like boycotting the Academy Awards this year for Your Name and A Silent Voice both not getting nominated for Best Animated Film haha
As an anime fan, this is just scandalous. How arrogant can you possibly be to think five american productions are better than those two movies :p
Mar 5, 2018 9:00 AM

Dec 2015
How's the spring season looking?

Mar 6, 2018 7:21 AM

Apr 2014
Thoughts on melodrama in anime.

Mar 6, 2018 8:59 AM

Feb 2016
The 5 most beautiful goals you've seen?
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Mar 7, 2018 1:00 PM

Mar 2015
sytemet said:
How's the spring season looking?

There are so many sequels to really popular anime i haven´t watched o.O. I feel like i wasted half of my life as an anime fan for having passed on all those shows but okay, maybe they are just not my taste.

Anyways the obvious sequel to stand out is Steins;Gate 0. While i was never quite as ecstatic about the series as many others were in the hype days, it still is in fact a brilliant anime so we are talking about a must watch here. FINALLY this thing appears on a chart as it was announced ages ago. This must be one of the longest waits for an already confirmed anime ever. As we get new material to a perfect ending, it might be bound to fail which is why it won´t ;)

I also will add Amanchu advance!. You know i like my SoLs about random activities and the first season was relaxing as hell. I hope we´ll see much more open ocean diving this time as the training days of the main girls should be over now. Could make for some nice underwater animation. JC is a quality studio so please let the girls get out of the pool and into the sea ;)

The P.A. fanboy inside me already cries as Uma Musume could well be the shittiest PA product ever -.-

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai should be a fun RomCom without too much sillyness and it features a character from Luxembourg so i´m gonna watch that for sure even though i hoped she´d be austrian after i learned her name is Teresa Wagner haha that is as austrian as it gets.

I think for the moe/comedy/SoL mixture Comic Girls will be the place to go.

Once again, the chart lacks the new, mind-challenging psychological anime i´m waiting for a long time now. Mystery and Psychological aren´t dead but definitely in a coma for a while now -.- To the point where i will soon change my favorite gere in my profile to Slice of Life.

Times can be tough when you are an anime fan not interested in mecha/action/sci-fi sometimes.
Mar 7, 2018 1:05 PM

Mar 2015
Demonarion said:
Thoughts on melodrama in anime.

I think anime handles it better than live-action series or at least it feels less bad given that outside of anime, melodramas are mostly very superficial telenovela series produced for middle-aged, lonesome women lol

The basic idea of putting the emotions of the characters and the inner conflicts they create in the center of attention has a ton of potential. I wish that more often it would not involve romantic feelings but something much deeper and more psychological. Seeing characters really depressed and suffering can be an intriguing thing.
Mar 7, 2018 4:07 PM

Sep 2017
What is your experience with doramas? have you ever watched one?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime Roulette #86 [Re-sharing as it's now an AWCc Collab | Sign-Ups Till 2/23] ( 1 2 3 )

Crazee - Feb 8

107 by Eleanora1315 »»
Yesterday, 9:53 AM

Sticky: » Anime Roulette #87

Crazee - Apr 7

33 by CsillaLoli »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Sticky: » Intermittent Roulette — Anime Edition ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikochondria - Apr 28, 2018

855 by trojangirl12 »»
Apr 24, 7:18 PM

Sticky: » 🍃 SPECIAL EVENT 🍃 : SPRING MANGA ROULETTE

TitanInsane - Apr 14

6 by RenxKentaro »»
Apr 23, 4:00 PM

Sticky: » Manga Roulette #81

Demonarion - Mar 16

14 by jimanator »»
Apr 16, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.