Forum Settings
Forums

If a company gained a monopoly of the anime industry

New
Dec 18, 2017 12:56 PM

Oct 2013

Now I will start off by saying I'm a very ill informed person on this subject so this thread will serve a double purpose of gaining a better understanding of the market and discussing the topic at hand.
Now as Im very ill informed I did consider there being a plausibility of there already being a monopoly and if so please do state your thoughts on how that monopoly is being handled by said company
but if thats not the case let us speak of the topic at hand.
As we know Disney recently bought a good portion of Fox and as such some people are worried Disney will create a monopoly in Hollywood as one of the 6 big companies was just bought up by another one now making it 5 big companies more or less you could say.
Now I was heavily interested in the idea of the something like this happening in Japan. But as I know nothing of how Japan's company hierarchy is fully established and who are the big players taking charge of everything Id be very fascinated in hearing the thoughts of those who do know these things.
Who would you say are the big players of the anime/manga/VN/LN industry as a whole in terms of decision making?
Would you say power is equally spread out among the top of the hierarchy for those who belong there?
Which company would you say has the best chance of gaining a full on monopoly of the industry?
If said company created the monopoly successfully how do you think the industry would look compared to now?
Dec 18, 2017 1:01 PM

Feb 2015
Dec 18, 2017 1:31 PM

Mar 2016
Tencent from China is doing well, I guess it's a matter of time until they become into Anime Power House, especially if they can adapt their chinese fantasy novels like Release that Witch. I can easily imagine Tencent being able to monopolize Chinese Anime.

As for Japan, I doubt that I will be able to see monopoly on that country, especially anime studios are quite generous like Production I.G. for their partner Wit Studio.
youseikiDec 18, 2017 1:49 PM
Dec 18, 2017 1:33 PM

Dec 2015
A monopoly is a terrible thing in every field
Dec 18, 2017 1:42 PM
Jul 2017
Tencent will be able to buy the Earth itself soon.
Dec 18, 2017 1:46 PM
Jul 2017
We would just be slaves to everything the studio/company punped out. Say goodbye to variation and new stories. Not a pleasnt world, only good thing is that we would most likely get more completed series instead of 12 episode series wich manly serves as teasers and bait for the manga/LN/VN. Correct me if im wrong
Dec 18, 2017 2:09 PM

Oct 2013
@Fran @_Ako_
I don't think most would disagree with that motion but Im not really interested in just saying its a good or bad idea. More along the ways of how it would look or happen
Troll12345678966 said:
We would just be slaves to everything the studio/company punped out. Say goodbye to variation and new stories. Not a pleasnt world, only good thing is that we would most likely get more completed series instead of 12 episode series wich manly serves as teasers and bait for the manga/LN/VN. Correct me if I'm wrong
I think some would argue we already don't really have much variation anyway
when you say new Im just wondering what you mean by that?
youseiki said:
As for Japan, I doubt that I will be able to see monopoly on that country, especially anime studios are quite generous like Production I.G. for their partner Wit Studio.
how would you say your outlook would be if a company bought both Production I.G. and Wit Studio then?
Dec 18, 2017 2:31 PM

Mar 2016
Deknijff said:
how would you say your outlook would be if a company bought both Production I.G. and Wit Studio then?

I'm not sure how to feel, practically speaking if that company has a decent marketing strategy that might revive the studio, then I would be happy, but if they produce low quality anime, then I would be sad.

Rather, Japan already monopolizes the anime and you can easily see the effects of it, if China can bring out their full potential, then it would be different, though I have low expectations to Chinese Anime, especially there's a lot of questionable source material.
Dec 18, 2017 2:32 PM
Jul 2017
I mean new in completely new stories from either manga or anime as the one company controlling everything would just kill everything new that came to the table so that its main titles didnt have any competition.
As for your second point (although i dont think that was intended for me) i think it would vary based on what studio/company that bought them. I am really unfamiliar when i comes to studios and all that stuff so im not going to say anything specific as im simply not educated enough to make a solid point on it. My guess is that already establiahed series would be pushed way more in terms of advertising and new series would suffer, until those earlier animes were dont were they would simoly take what solds best and finish it, and repeating this process over and over. Once again, uneducated guess, basicly shoting in the dark with an empty mag here.
Dec 18, 2017 2:34 PM

Oct 2017
Something worse than Ea will be born. (I mean that game company who created Starwars Battlefront 2 lolz..)

Nope. Having too much power on anything is never a good thing.
Ventus_SDec 18, 2017 9:57 PM
Dec 18, 2017 6:18 PM

Mar 2017
Ventus_S said:
Something worse than Ea will born. (I mean that game company who created Starwars Battlefront 2 lolz..)

It's almost impossible for a entertainment company to be worse than EA.

OT: Monopolizing of something is never good for the consumers.
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.
Dec 18, 2017 6:46 PM

Feb 2017
Ventus_S said:
Something worse than Ea will born. (I mean that game company who created Starwars Battlefront 2 lolz..)

Nope. Having too much power on anything is never a good thing.

You have to distinguish the two games named that because on one hand we have a wonderful game for the PS2, on the other we have... Well ya know.
Dec 18, 2017 6:56 PM

May 2017
Monopolize= less innovation,well this is one of the many disadvantages but I don't think Monopoly is a good thing and more ever i don't think the anime industry would be monopolized any time sooner cause it's japan afterall
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2017 9:22 PM

Dec 2015
I wonder if there are because I'd imagine Japan having very strict rules around this. It's probably not studios but production commitees that have them though as the studio usually doesn't have much to say.
Dec 18, 2017 9:43 PM

Oct 2014
I bet you anything that 90% of all of the anime are owned by 5 companies or less. All of these companies, however, are big enough that they see each other as their competition and aren't going to simply give up their entire company for a bit of cash. It's possible that one could swallow another, but for all of them to merge into one by them getting bought out by each other just doesn't seem feasible to me. Obviously competition is healthy for any industry and anime is no different.

To the consumer this might not effect too much since most of the stories anime have come from other industries (manga, light novel, visual novel, ect) and the anime themselves are adapted by studios who both have their own team and will often hire freelancers to get the job done. People do what their boss tells them to do, though, and if a studio wants to make an anime it will be harder for them to work completely independently. If you look at any one studio their anime are not all owned by the same company. I would imagine it would take away a lot of freedoms for any member of the anime industry if there was only one company who owned it all.
Dec 18, 2017 10:29 PM
Mar 2014
That already is happening in terms of "legal streaming", companies like CR buy the exclusive streaming rights to >insert awesome show here< and companies like Daisuki can't compete with the offer, and so the only things that are left is shit like Shomin Sample(I tried watching that shit, as a harem fan, most boring and cringeworthy harem I've ever seen). and don't say "Anime Strike!" or "Funimation!" Funimation's PARTNERED with CR, and Anime Strike also buys exclusive rights to other shows so if you wanna watch a show, but don't like who has bought it out, you're outta luck.
Dec 18, 2017 10:38 PM

Jul 2012
Monopoly brings 2 C's.

Consistency and complacency. The floor for anime will be higher and the ceiling will be a lot lower.

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 11 minutes ago

1 by Vendicator »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 42 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

37 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

22 by Eziprez »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.