Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2017 2:24 PM

Dec 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Disclaimer: this is a full-on fan-service movie. If you are not attached to the famous Mazinger figure or Kabuto Koji, there is absolutely no reason to watch it. (and I mean the original Z/Great saga, not the 2000s "modernization").

As for the others? You get almost everything you could have wished (back then): first and most obviously, a relatively "wiser" Koji (though it was hard to swallow even if he was adult and that we already saw slight behaviour evolutions before), redesigns of the mazingers, apparitions of most kikaijû, Hell and his main servants, Boss' team (that was unexpected for me, especially to see their goofing around integrated to the scenario), bonding confirmations between heroes. (maybe Shiro piloting a "mazinger" for some ? XD)

Lots of nice things/action (with an opening action sequence in America featuring Tetsuya in his Great Mazinger) and pretty shiny drawings (still close enough to the "old style") with mediocre animation (3D animation for combat was far better handled than 2D animation in the normal scenes) and a lot of bad CGI integration (CGI itself was certainly good in most action scenes) for a rather dull movie. It suffered from the classic syndrom of the mcguffin mysterious (movie) girl triggering the chain of plots but being uninteresting/useless most of the time. The new eponymous giant robot was kind of a letdown too, despite the title I wasn't expected yet another mazin.
There were a few attempts at elevating the speech (reminiscent of post-95 mecha series) but they were all awkwardly aborted in favour of the ever present "fan-service". On the other hand, it was at times hard to ignore the "modern" touch (especially the movie girl's mind).

Strong product placements.

Enjoyment: 4/5, thanks to the theater viewing (probably just a bit more than a "okay" experience without the big screen and overall explosive sounds)
Score: 6/10

Please, no Grendizer complaint, ok?

edit: wow, are there no french or italian people here? XD (though we were only two in the theater room I visited)

@EcchiGodMamster As in "it only exists for Mazinger Z fans, to please them and deliver them what they wanted", citing the original with no attempt at inviting any other new people. Etc... (I think I listed a non exhaustive list of the movie's gifts)
As for sexual / female body fan-service, there was strangely a lack of it for a Mazinger thing (and even more for a Nagai's property) if I remember well enough. Like I implied, it's not memorable.
Rei_IIISep 20, 2021 5:40 AM
Jan 7, 2018 5:29 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Rei366 said:

Disclaimer: this is a full-on fan-service movie.

wait wait wait

fanservice in what way? I'm excited now O___o
Jan 24, 2018 11:12 AM

Jan 2012
There's a lot of references to the original series, those that watched it while growing up will definitely enjoy it a lot more.
Feb 11, 2018 9:15 PM
Jan 2014
Yeah, this movie was definitely for those who grew up with the original show. I liked the animation and the fights at the end.
Apr 7, 2018 10:33 AM
Jun 2017
It was a fantastic film but i didnt get the ending, Lisa was finally their daughter or it was in the other universe
Apr 8, 2018 5:08 AM
Jan 2009
27lann27 said:
It was a fantastic film but i didnt get the ending, Lisa was finally their daughter or it was in the other universe
I think it's both. Kouji had a vision of an alternate universe in which Lisa was his daughter. Once he comes back to the "current" universe, he finally marries Sayaka, and eventually fathers Lisa.
Apr 8, 2018 5:08 PM

Mar 2016
Well yeah, mostly fan service and WTF??? moments for those who watched the original series, but still enjoyable.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 21, 2018 7:08 PM

May 2015
I seriously would never think I would see Koji as a grown up and a family man, this was a nostalgia trip... Mazin Go!
May 15, 2018 9:27 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I liked it!!!

The new characterization of the characters, mechas and villains was cool also with the modern style of the animation with a great quality helped too!!!

The plot? Well, just it was a story to enjoy but the character central was Koji and Mazinger Z for one side and the love story between Koji and Sayaka for another side, in a mixture of fantasy, multiple universes and "friends BBQ"!

The returns of the Dr. Hell, Count Broken or Baron Ashura it was cool too!!!
Sep 2, 2018 10:50 AM

Aug 2014
I love this movie, that was an epic ending for the franchise.

10/10 for me.
Sep 19, 2021 4:44 AM

Dec 2008
Mixed impressions on this one, the characters and their interactions were very good,
but damn that story felt unmotivated and uninspired. I have watched the the 2000s "modernization" and loved it, so I am not completely unfamiliar with the franchise.

And a general thing can't there be any anime story without alternate universes nowadays ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2023 4:30 PM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
Only halfway through but holy crap it's awesome so far! An INSANE amount of easter eggs for fans: from the opening scene that included scenes from the original Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger, to the day at the beach from the extremely underrated Mazingerkaiser OVA, to the myna bird, to dozens of classic kikaiju (including my favorite, SATAN CLAUS) , to Bunji Daiko from Getter Robo and Getter Robo G eating at the bar in Boss's ramen restaurant, to Brocken referencing Gamia Q, Misato showing up at the restaurant....THERE'S SO MUCH!

I love the art. The Mazins look epic: updated enough to look modern, while retaining all the original design elements that make them so instantly recognizable. The character art looks great for the most part too. I love adult Shiro, and it's cool watching him fight and become more like Koji was in Z and Great. Really the only character that kinda disappointed me was Jun - not that she's bad, it just feels like a step back after her INCREDIBLY awesome design in the Mazinkaiser OVA.

I realize that the movie may not appeal that much to those who have no history with Mazinger, but as a massive fan of the franchise and Go Nagai's work in general, I can't stop gushing about how awesome this movie is.

Also the last ever version of the Mazinger Z theme by Ichiro "Aniking" Mizuki. An absolute legend who we sadly lost to lung cancer earlier this year. </3 Such a great version of this classic theme!

EDIT: Finished watching. I loved it so much. ;-; Pretty close to being the perfect sequel and 45th anniversary celebration for the original anime.
JaceyFoxDec 4, 2023 4:12 PM
Beep boop

More topics from this board

» Available now on Amazon Prime Video and HBO Max

JohanJ04 - Nov 3, 2022

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Nov 3, 2022 4:31 PM

» Should I try and watch the old show?

animedude1287 - Jan 17, 2018

8 by Leoknight29 »»
Apr 2, 2019 1:07 AM

» Staff, Cast and Teaser announced

DatRandomDude - Mar 25, 2017

17 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 4, 2018 7:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.