Forum Settings
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 5, 2017 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
Nora is not in season 2 of the anime at all so I'm asking if she ever shows up again in the novel past that part. If yes I might actually consider reading it. Spoilers are fine.
Nov 6, 2017 8:14 PM

Jan 2013
Never mind I found out on my own. Looks like she appears at least once again in Volume 13 based on that artwork and title.

If someone has more detailed information about where exactly she appears and for how long, feel free to post it still.
May 19, 2018 7:45 AM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:
If someone has more detailed information about where exactly she appears and for how long, feel free to post it still.
This topic is a bit old, but since I'm here...

It's one of the voluems with side stories from the perspective of Enek. They arrive it a struggling town where she wants to become a seamstress. It's maybe about half of that volume.

Every now and then she gets mentioned, but I doubt she will ever reappear.
May 19, 2018 8:55 AM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
vegeta8639 said:
This topic is a bit old, but since I'm here...

It's one of the voluems with side stories from the perspective of Enek. They arrive it a struggling town where she wants to become a seamstress. It's maybe about half of that volume.

Every now and then she gets mentioned, but I doubt she will ever reappear.

Yea I found that volume but haven't gotten around to reading the LN yet. If she doesn't appear again after that I might honestly just read that part and skip the rest. Thanks for the reply anyway.
May 19, 2018 9:24 AM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:
Yea I found that volume but haven't gotten around to reading the LN yet. If she doesn't appear again after that I might honestly just read that part and skip the rest. Thanks for the reply anyway.
It's worth reading all of it, though that chapter is really detached from the main story, so you can read it any time you want.
May 19, 2018 10:28 AM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
vegeta8639 said:
It's worth reading all of it, though that chapter is really detached from the main story, so you can read it any time you want.

Well Norah was the main thing I liked about season 1 and I think season 2 was pretty bad so if the rest is like that I probably won't bother with it. Although I plan to start from the beginning so if I do get into the story I may read the whole thing anyway.
May 19, 2018 11:38 AM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:
Well Norah was the main thing I liked about season 1 and I think season 2 was pretty bad so if the rest is like that I probably won't bother with it. Although I plan to start from the beginning so if I do get into the story I may read the whole thing anyway.
Norah is a pretty boring character, even according to the writer, that's why Hasekura chose to write that chapter from the dogs point of view. If you think she was the best part of S1 and her absence made S2 worse, you watched the wrong series. Iyashikei is better suited to you.
May 19, 2018 12:13 PM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
vegeta8639 said:
Norah is a pretty boring character, even according to the writer, that's why Hasekura chose to write that chapter from the dogs point of view. If you think she was the best part of S1 and her absence made S2 worse, you watched the wrong series. Iyashikei is better suited to you.

lol I see you have Holo on your list so I must have triggered you but Norah is best girl and waifu material. Holo on the other hand fucked with Lawrence in season 2 for no reason and is just annoying in general. She's basically a tsundere. Norah is just way nicer and more my type.

And yes her absence in season 2 was part of it but I actually enjoyed some parts of season 1 that didn't have Norah whereas season 2 was bad from start to finish.
I'd much rather watch an SoL with her as the main character than anything with Holo in it.
I also don't give a fuck what the writer says since he is not God and no shit he prefers Holo considering she's the main character and gets 1000X more screen time than Norah. Although what's "boring" is pretty subjective I'd say.
May 19, 2018 12:17 PM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:
but Norah is best girl and waifu material.
Yes, this, that's all she is and that's what weebtrash appreciates in anime. That's why I recommend you should rather spend your time on things like Amanchu and other stuff where there is nothing else, but cutsey waifus.
May 19, 2018 12:47 PM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
vegeta8639 said:
but Norah is best girl and waifu material.
Yes, this, that's all she is and that's what weebtrash appreciates in anime. That's why I recommend you should rather spend your time on things like Amanchu and other stuff where there is nothing else, but cutsey waifus.

Oh and I'm sure you like Holo because she's such a deep well written character. You'd definitely like her just as much if she looked like a fat whale right?

I wasn't talking about just her appearance either but the character in general.
If Amanchu had Norah in it, no shit I would go watch that but it doesn't so I'm here. Thanks anyway for the recommendation.
May 19, 2018 1:01 PM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:

Okay, let's list Norah's personality traits:

• Nice
  • Naive

Well, that wasn't too much, so let's look into her growth as a character. She has none.

Well, I guess, this is all there is to her. She is by far the weakest among the supporting characters. That's why she was never brought back as part of the main story unlike for example Eve Bolan or Elsa. There is no way she could contribute.

And you are the one who's bringing up, what if another character was fat... But what do I expect from someone who's favorite person is Adolf Hitler.
May 19, 2018 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
vegeta8639 said:

Okay, let's list Norah's personality traits:

• Nice
  • Naive

Well, that wasn't too much, so let's look into her growth as a character. She has none.

Well, I guess, this is all there is to her. She is by far the weakest among the supporting characters. That's why she was never brought back as part of the main story unlike for example Eve Bolan or Elsa. There is no way she could contribute.

And you are the one who's bringing up, what if another character was fat... But what do I expect from someone who's favorite person is Adolf Hitler.

Oh so the quality of a character depends on how many character traits they have?
lol that seems ridiculous if you ask me but fine I'll play.

Add onto that: Kind, caring, compassionate, loyal, intelligent, skilled, appreciative, supportive, calm, capable, gentle, hardworking, brave, helpful, honest, humble, perseverant.

I can keep going but many of these are describing the same thing. Really all that matters is that she's attractive and that I would get along with her personality type amazingly. She wouldn't be too demanding and she'd be appreciative of the small things. And she's clearly smart and good at what she does. What more could anyone ask for?

" That's why she was never brought back as part of the main story unlike for example Eve Bolan or Elsa. There is no way she could contribute."

That's the writers failure to come up with interesting events that would make her relevant. Just make something happen around her. Have her meet people. Maybe the church is after her. I don't know.

" And you are the one who's bringing up, what if another character was fat... But what do I expect from someone who's favorite person is Adolf Hitler."

Ouch! You really got me with that one. We both know you care about appearance just as much as me except you have different preferences. Same with personality types. As for Norah's character growth, welp maybe she'd have more if she was actually present in the story for more than 1 arc. Either way she's perfect the way she is so I don't even want her to change.
May 19, 2018 3:17 PM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:
I can keep going but many of these are describing the same thing.
Yes, this. You can't describe her without synonymes of the same few thing. That is exactly the point.

vegeta8639 said:
Really all that matters is that she's attractive and that I would get along with her personality type amazingly. She wouldn't be too demanding and she'd be appreciative of the small things. And she's clearly smart and good at what she does. What more could anyone ask for?
So basically you could get along with her, because she looks pretty and submissive so wouldn't threaten your authority.

vegeta8639 said:
That's the writers failure to come up with interesting events that would make her relevant. Just make something happen around her. Have her meet people. Maybe the church is after her. I don't know.
The writer's failure would be forcing her back into the story without her adding anything to it. Your scenario would be like this.

" And you are the one who's bringing up, what if another character was fat... But what do I expect from someone who's favorite person is Adolf Hitler."

vegeta8639 said:
Ouch! You really got me with that one. We both know you care about appearance just as much as me except you have different preferences.
Okay, let's play a thought experiment. Switch all their genders. Would you still like anything about No(r)ah? Would you care if she comes back? No, becouse she is not an engaging character. She is a submissive cute girl and this works only as long as she is not a kind shepherd boy. Literally everyone else would work as a character with their genders were swapped.

vegeta8639 said:
As for Norah's character growth, welp maybe she'd have more if she was actually present in the story for more than 1 arc. Either way she's perfect the way she is so I don't even want her to change.
"Maybe she'd have". How wonderful words. But one thing is sure. She is indeed a perfect maid and it looks like that's what it takes to be a "best waifu".
May 19, 2018 4:20 PM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
vegeta8639 said:
I can keep going but many of these are describing the same thing.
Yes, this. You can't describe her without synonymes of the same few thing. That is exactly the point.

vegeta8639 said:
Really all that matters is that she's attractive and that I would get along with her personality type amazingly. She wouldn't be too demanding and she'd be appreciative of the small things. And she's clearly smart and good at what she does. What more could anyone ask for?
So basically you could get along with her, because she looks pretty and submissive so wouldn't threaten your authority.

vegeta8639 said:
The writer's failure would be forcing her back into the story without her adding anything to it. Your scenario would be like this.

vegeta8639 said:
Ouch! You really got me with that one. We both know you care about appearance just as much as me except you have different preferences.
Okay, let's play a thought experiment. Switch all their genders. Would you still like anything about No(r)ah? Would you care if she comes back? No, becouse she is not an engaging character. She is a submissive cute girl and this works only as long as she is not a kind shepherd boy. Literally everyone else would work as a character with their genders were swapped.

vegeta8639 said:
As for Norah's character growth, welp maybe she'd have more if she was actually present in the story for more than 1 arc. Either way she's perfect the way she is so I don't even want her to change.
"Maybe she'd have". How wonderful words. But one thing is sure. She is indeed a perfect maid and it looks like that's what it takes to be a "best waifu".

"Yes, this. You can't describe her without synonymes of the same few thing. That is exactly the point."

And how many words can you use to describe Holo? No synonyms. By all means show me how it's done.

"So basically you could get along with her, because she looks pretty and submissive so wouldn't threaten your authority."

No, we would get along because she's nice and I would be nice to her in return. You're trying to make it sound devious or something. That's not the only reason why I like her though.

"The writer's failure would be forcing her back into the story without her adding anything to it."

She'd add quality as far as I'm concerned. Holo is boring, overhyped and overused.

"Okay, let's play a thought experiment. Switch all their genders. Would you still like anything about No(r)ah? "

Nope. Switch Holo's gender. Would you still like her and enjoy those scenes where she's naked? If so maybe you should question your sexuality. I however know that I'm straight so I have no problem "admitting" that I would not like her if she was a dude.

"Literally everyone else would work as a character with their genders were swapped."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh Christ. Imagine Lawrence traveling together with a male fox spirit and everything else remaining consistent. This would not be such a popular series I can promise you that much. Well maybe it would be popular with some Yaoi fans but not the general anime community.

""Maybe she'd have". How wonderful words. "

I said "Maybe she'd have MORE" specifically so that I wouldn't be admitting that she has non at all. But of course you ignore that word.

"She is indeed a perfect maid and it looks like that's what it takes to be a "best waifu"."

lol I didn't say "best waifu", just "waifu material". Rem is best waifu. And yea being basically perfect definitely helps. Is that suppose to be a negative?
Anyway thanks for this little chat. I actually like Norah even more than before as a result because you made me spend time thinking about why she's so great.
Probably going to read the LN soon so since I'm now in the mood.
May 20, 2018 9:14 AM

Sep 2015
Please use quotes properly, it's not that hard and makes you easier to follow.

vegeta8639 said:
And how many words can you use to describe Holo? No synonyms. By all means show me how it's done.
I can use full sentences. She is a character who gives you material to write about. It would be unfair though, since she is the main character with 17(+3) volumes worth of development and progression. But it can be done with other side characters, like Eve, Fran, Col, Elsa or Kieman.

vegeta8639 said:
No, we would get along because she's nice and I would be nice to her in return.
Are you trying to lie to me or to yourself?

vegeta8639 said:
She'd add quality as far as I'm concerned. Holo is boring, overhyped and overused.

Nope. Switch Holo's gender. Would you still like her and enjoy those scenes where she's naked? If so maybe you should question your sexuality.
I see you really want to be underhanded. You really think you should go down that way? Forcing things down this way really shoes that you have the hots for Norah just because she is acute girl and can't disregard this. We are talking about character. I'd expect more from a 21 years old adult. This is normally the level of frustrated 16 year old virgins.

vegeta8639 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh Christ. Imagine Lawrence traveling together with a male fox spirit and everything else remaining consistent. This would not be such a popular series I can promise you that much. Well maybe it would be popular with some Yaoi fans but not the general anime community.
You do realize switching genders would mean that it would also switch Laurence's, right?

vegeta8639 said:
I said "Maybe she'd have MORE" specifically so that I wouldn't be admitting that she has non at all. But of course you ignore that word.
You can only go up from nothing.

vegeta8639 said:
lol I didn't say "best waifu", just "waifu material". Rem is best waifu. And yea being basically perfect definitely helps. Is that suppose to be a negative?
Anyway thanks for this little chat. I actually like Norah even more than before as a result because you made me spend time thinking about why she's so great.
Probably going to read the LN soon so since I'm now in the mood.
Look, you can like her. She is indeed a sweet little girl and top waifu material. No one takes that away from you. But if you say she is a good character and best part of the series, I call bullshit. It's a severe underappreciation of the effort that went into the writing of the story as a whole. It can be clearly felt on Norah and to a lesser extent Amati, that Hasekura was experimenting with them and with how to set up a role for a supporting character so they won't feel like a plot device later on.

Also, I have a storng opinion that liking the good anime for the bad reasons is just as bad if not worse than liking the bad anime. That can earn my hostility. To ignore the series' values disrespect the writer. And also sets a bad example which can be increasingly more destructive as in the industry creativity gets overshadowed by financial interests. It sends the message that they don't have to take risks and don't have to take the effort to be successful. Anime suffers from this with the oversaturation of low quality phone game and visual novel adaptation, movies suffer from this with the oversaturation of comic book universe adaptations and reboots of cult callics, videogames suffer from this with the oversaturation of live services and annualized francises. And they never fail at the box office showing that any effort above the bare minimum is wasted on the audience. I can't respect that.

And now you really have proven that you are not someone who's worth bothering with.
ModelCitizenMay 20, 2018 9:58 AM
May 20, 2018 12:50 PM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
Please use quotes properly, it's not that hard and makes you easier to follow.

It is hard because this system fucking sucks but I'll try.

Heldengeist said:
I can use full sentences. She is a character who gives you material to write about. It would be unfair though, since she is the main character with 17(+3) volumes worth of development and progression. But it can be done with other side characters, like Eve, Fran, Col, Elsa or Kieman.

No no, they have to be 1 word descriptions of her personality. That's the game.
Here's 1 more thing you could write about Norah though. I'm not sure whether we know what happened to her parents but maybe her father could be a soldier or something and he comes back after a long war. There you go an interesting plot point that you could write an arc around.
Or again the church could be after her because they think she's a witch or because of the gold smuggling and then she has to go on the run traveling through various places. The potential is infinite.

Heldengeist said:
I see you really want to be underhanded. You really think you should go down that way?

Hey you brought up the gender swapping thing. I only asked whether you would still like Holo if she was a fat whale. You're the one who decided to make it gay.

Heldengeist said:
Forcing things down this way really shoes that you have the hots for Norah just because she is acute girl and can't disregard this.

Not true at all since there's thousands of cute girls in anime and I really do like her personality and the fact that she can stay strong and this nice despite all the bullshit the church put her through. If she was an annoying tsundere who always complained about everything and liked sleeping around with other guys, I would probably hate her even if she looked the same.

Heldengeist said:
We are talking about character. I'd expect more from a 21 years old adult. This is normally the level of frustrated 16 year old virgins.

Did you completely lose track of the fact that this started with me saying "Norah is best girl and waifu material"? So I'm not sure what metric you're using to determine a quality character but I think I've made mine pretty clear.
Oh and I'm still 20 so there.
So are you absolutely going to avoid admitting that would not like Holo anymore if she was fat/ugly or a dude? I mean it shouldn't be that hard I don't think.

Heldengeist said:
You do realize switching genders would mean that it would also switch Laurence's, right?

You don't have to swap everyone's, just Holo's. It's current year, they can have a nice homosexual relationship I imagine. Or would it be straight if he/she was transgender? Hmm. . .So many questions.

Heldengeist said:
Look, you can like her. She is indeed a sweet little girl and top waifu material.

So what are we arguing about again? Oh right, it's because I said she was better than Holo. Of course. A classic waifu wars argument

Heldengeist said:
But if you say she is a good character and best part of the series, I call bullshit.

Okay, in my opinion she is a good character and the best thing about the show. Is that better?

Heldengeist said:
Also, I have a storng opinion that liking the good anime for the bad reasons is just as bad if not worse than liking the bad anime.

I agree although we would likely disagree on what "good/bad" reasons are and on which anime are "good/bad".

Heldengeist said:
Anime suffers from this with the oversaturation of low quality phone game and visual novel adaptation

We need more visual novel adaptations if anything. Oh but you might be in luck since it looks like they're taking a shot at adapting some indie games instead which are actually pretty decent. Namely Satsuriki no Tenshi and To the Moon.

I don't watch American films though so I don't really give a shit how bad they are.

Heldengeist said:
videogames suffer from this with the oversaturation of live services and annualized francises

Nier;Automata. Check that out if you want a good game. Right now I'm playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2. It's decent I guess. Oh and of course there's Touhou.

Heldengeist said:
And now you really have proven that you are not someone who's worth bothering with.

Not sure what you mean by "now" since you clearly seem to have "bothered" with me by writing all that up and seem to be expecting a response since you told me to use the garbage quotation system but okay. You are obviously free to stop posting any time you like.
I've been having these arguments long enough to realize that it's a matter of taste meaning I can't change your mind either. Some people like tsunderes, some like rape/guro and others are cucks. Ignoring Norah for a second, you dropped Re:Zero (after Rem showing up) so it's pretty clear I'm dealing with someone who is beyond help. bb
May 21, 2018 4:06 PM

Sep 2015
vegeta8639 said:
No no, they have to be 1 word descriptions of her personality. That's the game.
I could go into that if you really want to, but unlike with Norah, it wouldn't cover her character. She really is a main character with a lot of development and probression throughout the series. Also I don't only work with the anime, I've read 15 volumes of the novel. It would be fair, if with the list of traits, we were give examples, because your extended list of Norah's character traits, I can't even comprehend what some of those doing there. Like for example skilled, sure in being a shepherd but nothing exceptional beyond that, and intelligent, sure she is not retarded, but didn't show any real feat. Or calm? Sure, as long as she is alone, but it's childs play to put her off-balance.

But if you'd satisfied with that, than on top of everything you listed for Norah, minus the synonyms:
knowledgeable, experienced, wise, intelligent, mischievous, playful, stubborn, caring, reliable, observant, initiative, independent, responsible, curious, open-minded
And these can be backed by examples from the story.

vegeta8639 said:
I'm not sure whether we know what happened to her parents but maybe her father could be a soldier or something and he comes back after a long war. There you go an interesting plot point that you could write an arc around.
Or again the church could be after her because they think she's a witch or because of the gold smuggling and then she has to go on the run traveling through various places. The potential is infinite.
This is what we call filler. It might work as a spinoff, but we are better without it in the main series.

vegeta8639 said:
Hey you brought up the gender swapping thing. I only asked whether you would still like Holo if she was a fat whale. You're the one who decided to make it gay.
You made it 'gay', since you are the one who wants to divert this to a topic of romantic/sexual interest. For me, it's not like that, so for me there is nothing in saying, Holo would still be one of my favorite characters if she was fat or male.

vegeta8639 said:
Not true at all since there's thousands of cute girls in anime and I really do like her personality and the fact that she can stay strong and this nice despite all the bullshit the church put her through. If she was an annoying tsundere who always complained about everything and liked sleeping around with other guys, I would probably hate her even if she looked the same.
Yes, she is a cute looking and submissive girl. That's her appeal, that's tha character you like and that's why it can't be disregarded that she is a cute girl. If he was the same, but a boy or had an unattractive character design, you wouldn't care.

vegeta8639 said:
Did you completely lose track of the fact that this started with me saying "Norah is best girl and waifu material"? So I'm not sure what metric you're using to determine a quality character but I think I've made mine pretty clear.
No, I'm completely aware of that. By the way, the metric is, how the character act end react in the story. How does the character function in the world with and without other - for a side characters the mains - around them. For example Norah is a completely passive, reactionary character, everyone manipulates her at will, it's a miracle that she was even alive, doesn't have agency.

vegeta8639 said:
Oh and I'm still 20 so there.
Doesn't make a difference

vegeta8639 said:
So are you absolutely going to avoid admitting that would not like Holo anymore if she was fat/ugly or a dude? I mean it shouldn't be that hard I don't think.
I didn't avoid, I just didn't spell you out until now that I would. I just didn't chose her as a favorit with my boner like you did with nora.

vegeta8639 said:
So what are we arguing about again? Oh right, it's because I said she was better than Holo. Of course. A classic waifu wars argument
It's only you for whom this is about waifus. I leave that shit to kids.

vegeta8639 said:
Okay, in my opinion she is a good character and the best thing about the show.
You might have been right, if she would. We still don't have anything about her other than she is nice and cute. Is the bar really that low for you?

vegeta8639 said:
I agree although we would likely disagree on what "good/bad" reasons are and on which anime are "good/bad".
That's obvious from the start.

Heldengeist said:

Heldengeist said:
Ignoring Norah for a second, you dropped Re:Zero (after Rem showing up) so it's pretty clear I'm dealing with someone who is beyond help.
Ofcourse I did. It was a waste of time. Btw funny coming from someone who thinks Attack on Titan is a 10/10 and Rokka no Yuusa is a 9 and a barebones seed of a character is the best part of a show until she has cute character design. Whether it's Norah or Rem.
May 21, 2018 10:16 PM

Jan 2013
Heldengeist said:
Like for example skilled, sure in being a shepherd but nothing exceptional beyond that, and intelligent, sure she is not retarded, but didn't show any real feat.

She's exceptionally skilled at what she does. We can tell that she is way beyond average because she keeps surviving all those dangerous tasks the church keeps giving her. That's also where the intelligent part comes from. I'd wager her IQ was in the top 2% at least.
I won't use the MAL quotations for this part because it's literally single words.
"knowledgeable, experienced"

Sure, add those to Norah too if we're talking about Shepherding or whatever else she knows about (sewing for example). Either way those can both be easily gained with time. What really matters is intelligence.

"mischievous, playful"

I don't necessarily mind these traits but I certainly wouldn't call them bonuses or mind their absence.

"stubborn"

Are we meant to be naming positive traits or. . .?

"caring, reliable, observant"

Ditto for Norah. She'd have to be observant to keep track of what all those wolves were doing. The other traits are just worthless or irrelevant. Who's to say Norah isn't curious or "open-minded" whatever that means.
So again, what was even the point of this? You brought it up because you thought Norah had 2 character traits while Holo had a million so that was suppose to prove that Holo was better or something. At best you have a few more and I don't even consider those traits important.

Heldengeist said:
This is what we call filler. It might work as a spinoff, but we are better without it in the main series.

Not necessarily, it could also be a spin off. And it doesn't have to be filler if Lawrence meets her again somewhere and then the story takes place. Or I guess it depends on how you define "Filler".

Heldengeist said:
You made it 'gay', since you are the one who wants to divert this to a topic of romantic/sexual interest.

No no, I started by saying that Norah was "best girl and waifu material" and you are the one trying to divert it away from romantic interest.

Heldengeist said:
For me, it's not like that, so for me there is nothing in saying, Holo would still be one of my favorite characters if she was fat or male.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Well nothing I can really say to that other than call bullshit.

Heldengeist said:
Yes, she is a cute looking and submissive girl. That's her appeal

Also nice, smart, humble, appreciative and traditional. Basically perfect marriage material.

Heldengeist said:
nd that's why it can't be disregarded that she is a cute girl. If he was the same, but a boy or had an unattractive character design, you wouldn't care.

Of course. Swap ANY character's gender and the entire dynamic changes.

Heldengeist said:
Norah is a completely passive, reactionary character, everyone manipulates her at will, it's a miracle that she was even alive, doesn't have agency.

She's alive because she's intelligent and skilled. And of course the church kept her fed and stuff early on.

Heldengeist said:
In fact, based on her return chapter in the mentioned volume, I'd give her a 70% that she got herself killed, since in that case, there were no one to look out for her.

Is there some kind of ambiguous ending where you don't know whether she's alive or is your point completely going over my head?

Heldengeist said:
I didn't avoid, I just didn't spell you out until now that I would. I just didn't chose her as a favorit with my boner like you did with nora.

You kept quoting my question and then not answering. I think you are straight up lying about your answer but obviously I can't prove that.
Oh and I don't get boners or fap to anime girls so wrong again.

Heldengeist said:
It's only you for whom this is about waifus. I leave that shit to kids.

You're just salty because I said that Holo is overrated and that Norah is better than her. Your refusal to use the term "waifu" doesn't change what this is about.

Heldengeist said:
You might have been right, if she would. We still don't have anything about her other than she is nice and cute. Is the bar really that low for you?

If she would what? Anyway, my bar isn't low, I have 190 days of watch time and have seen literally thousands of anime girls. Norah is just that good. Top 30 easy, maybe higher if we're not counting visual novels and games. She just has a unique appeal. "nice and cute" can be applied to countless other characters so clearly that's not all it is.
I could speculate and try to rationalize why I like her but at the end of a day it's a subjective preference. Simple as that.

Heldengeist said:
Ofcourse I did. It was a waste of time.

Your mom is a waste of time.

Heldengeist said:
Btw funny coming from someone who thinks Attack on Titan is a 10/10

Is that surprising at all after seeing Mikasa on my favorites list? She's pretty fucking awesome you've gotta admit.

Heldengeist said:
and Rokka no Yuusa is a 9

Fremy. Also Adlet isn't a generic garbage MC.

Heldengeist said:
and a barebones seed of a character is the best part of a show until she has cute character design. Whether it's Norah or Rem.

That makes absolutely no sense. Did you mean "as long" as she has a cute character design? Well yea, depending on how garbage the show is, a girl that doesn't do much could be the best thing about it. Take Sankarea for example. I have that rated 4/10 and I have zero problem saying that Mero is the best thing about that show just because she's cute even though I don't remember her doing anything at all.
Now Spice and Wolf isn't nearly that bad but Norah is also way better so it all kinda evens out.
As for Rem, she is the best anime character in existence and therefore the single best thing in existence by default.
Aug 14, 2018 10:45 AM

Nov 2011
Dude, I think Spice and Wolf is not a series for you, just try to search other mainstream animes for you to collect another fucking waifus ...

Nora is a nice girl at all, but she is a mere side character for one volume ...
Spice and Wolf is about the journey of a merchant named Lawrence and his companion Holo (and later Col).. It deals about economy and politic, I don't think your kind of people would like it, wouldn't you ?
Jim_HeartAug 14, 2018 11:05 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 15, 2018 2:31 AM

Jan 2013
Jim_Heart said:
Dude, I think Spice and Wolf is not a series for you, just try to search other mainstream animes for you to collect another fucking waifus ...

Spice and Wolf is about the journey of a merchant named Lawrence and his companion Holo (and later Col).. It deals about economy and politic, I don't think your kind of people would like it, wouldn't you ?

Do you realize I've seen both seasons twice already? Don't you think telling me that the series isn't for me at this point is kinda worthless?
Maybe Norah is irrelevant if you look at the entire novel but if you look at the first season of the anime, she is in 5/12 of the episodes (albeit very briefly in the first one) + the OVA so that's a good 1/3rd of the overall show.
Basically if somebody wants to watch the first season just for her, I would definitely recommend it although obviously not the second one.

But either way, I will search for waifus literally everywhere and if the story ends up being good, even better. I do no stray away from "elitist" anime (although I'd DEFINITELY label Spice and Wolf mainstream as fuck) and you can see on my list that I have NGE and Casshern Sins on my favorites and have seen Monster, LotGH, Tatami Galaxy and given them both 10/10.
That along with the fact that I have more watch time than you makes your patronizing attitude ridiculous especially considering you seem to be just another Holo fanboy who got triggered that someone else doesn't like her.
Talk about not looking for waifus in Spice and Wolf. Just lol.

Norah>Holo. Fact.

Aug 15, 2018 4:34 AM

Apr 2013
"Norah is waifu material"
being "waifu material" has never been a reason for a character to get more "screen time" in a story.
You animefans guys with your waifu waifu waifu are completely blind to simple facts like that.
"Waifu" is an useless quality in a novel. The only point is selling more copies to peoples like you, but even that is limited due to market saturation on that point anyway. Cheap pretty and cute waifus are everywhere nowadays.
I can't help but shake my head in disappointment when I see you guys throw a tantrum because your waifu don't get the "role she deserves" (according to you, and with the only justification to that "deserve" being that you think she's a "good waifu, yikes). And I'm not even talking about the shit show when said waifu happens to die, omg.
I appreciate Nora, and I really liked that dog's point of view chapter too, that was very original. But If I were to be honest, in one chapter that dog convinced me that he was a more interesting character to follow than Nora. Using Nora's point of view in that chapter would have never given such interesting chapter.

Also, I think that Nora is seen again briefly when they all visit Horo and Lawrence in volume 17, but I may remember that wrong.

Also you don't know what mainstream is, apparently. A romance novel about medieval economy in a fantasy world is not mainstream.
ZefyrisAug 15, 2018 4:51 AM
Aug 15, 2018 7:42 AM

Nov 2011
vegeta8639 said:
Jim_Heart said:

Do you realize I've seen both seasons twice already? Don't you think telling me that the series isn't for me at this point is kinda worthless?
Maybe Norah is irrelevant if you look at the entire novel but if you look at the first season of the anime, she is in 5/12 of the episodes (albeit very briefly in the first one) + the OVA so that's a good 1/3rd of the overall show.
Basically if somebody wants to watch the first season just for her, I would definitely recommend it although obviously not the second one.

But either way, I will search for waifus literally everywhere and if the story ends up being good, even better. I do no stray away from "elitist" anime (although I'd DEFINITELY label Spice and Wolf mainstream as fuck) and you can see on my list that I have NGE and Casshern Sins on my favorites and have seen Monster, LotGH, Tatami Galaxy and given them both 10/10.
That along with the fact that I have more watch time than you makes your patronizing attitude ridiculous especially considering you seem to be just another Holo fanboy who got triggered that someone else doesn't like her.
Talk about not looking for waifus in Spice and Wolf. Just lol.

Norah>Holo. Fact.

Of course she was in those 1/4 show because she was supporting character in one arc/volume and 2 season of anime adapted 4 volumes ... Same thing with every other supporting character (even some character like Eve is present in more than 1 arc) ...

Okay, I like those animes too.. But my point is, your type of otaku who addicted to waifus thing is really annoying honestly ...
I don't like Holo as a waifu material of course.. I just find her interesting character, she is entertaining and quite a unique character you rarely find in other shows ...
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 15, 2018 12:14 PM

Jan 2013
Jim_Heart said:

Okay, I like those animes too.. But my point is, your type of otaku who addicted to waifus thing is really annoying honestly ...

You know what's annoying? Having a character you like go away after 5 episodes only to find out that she's not coming back even if another season ever gets made.
And then having Holo fans complain at me even though their preferred girl gets like 50 volumes dedicated to her.

But in all honesty, I've got a metric fuckton of other things to watch/play and to be pissed about so this isn't something that's constantly nagging on my mind despite how I might come across when talking about it. Like I said she's in my top 30 or so and the only reason I'm even still here is because you people keep replying to a formerly dead thread. The original question I had was answered BY MYSELF 9 months ago.

Jim_Heart said:

I don't like Holo as a waifu material of course.. I just find her interesting character, she is entertaining and quite a unique character you rarely find in other shows ...

Oh OF COURSE. I'm sure that if she looked like a fat whale you would still like her because she's so interesting. I don't even know what you are thinking in your head when you read "top tier waifu material". It just means that she's a female character that I really really really like. I could say that Norah is "an interesting character, entertaining and a unique character that you rarely find in other shows" if that helps. Now maybe she's not interesting to you but Holo is not interesting to me so we're even.

Zefyris said:
"Norah is waifu material"
being "waifu material" has never been a reason for a character to get more "screen time" in a story.

Okay, lets scrap Holo or Fremy and then see whether the novels keep selling as well.
Look, I only watch/play/read things if I know in advance that a girl I will probably like is going to be in it. Get rid of her and I will stop watching/playing/reading and go use my time more productively. Simple as that. If you don't care about me consuming your product, do whatever you want with your story and I will go elsewhere.

Zefyris said:
"Waifu" is an useless quality in a novel. The only point is selling more copies to peoples like you

The only point in having attractive characters is to sell your product? Who woulda thunk it. I thought it was pure coincidence that anime girls tended to be cute rather than fat and ugly.

Zefyris said:
And I'm not even talking about the shit show when said waifu happens to die, omg.

Okay, lets just casually kill off Fremy, Taiga and Holo, then keep publishing the novels focusing on other random characters. I can tell you that I'd definitely stop reading 2 of those at that point but you're such an objective elitist that I'm sure you'd be perfectly fine with it and keep reading with zero complaints as long as the story was "good".

Haven't read any of the LN yet so I can't comment on that part but I assume it involves more first person narration than the anime.

Zefyris said:
Also, I think that Nora is seen again briefly when they all visit Horo and Lawrence in volume 17, but I may remember that wrong.

You know if somebody just politely said that from the start, this thread could have ended months ago and we would have avoided this shitshow.
But no, it has to be: "Here's your answer. Also fuck you for not liking Holo and btw I'm not a waifutard like you since I only like Holo because she's a great character."

Honestly I should completely ignore all 3 of you by virtue of the fact that you all have Holo on your favorites list. No shit you're gonna be bitching at me. Just stop pretending that your beef with me is over anything other than who is best girl in a certain anime. The only difference is that I'm being honest.

Zefyris said:
Also you don't know what mainstream is, apparently. A romance novel about medieval economy in a fantasy world is not mainstream.

Mainstream means that casual anime watchers will have heard of the show and have probably seen it (or will see it at some point). And Holo is in the top 10 most popular female characters on this site so I repeat, MAINSTREAM AS FUCK.
Aug 15, 2018 8:10 PM

Nov 2011
We should end this.. I don't think I can persuade and change you by this thread.. Lol

The last thing..
-You should not waste your time for one show only because the author happened made one character that you like personally..
-Try to also like male character ...
Aug 15, 2018 8:33 PM

Jan 2013
Jim_Heart said:
We should end this.. I don't think I can persuade and change you by this thread.. Lol

Just to be clear, you're the least objectionable on this thread so don't take anything I said too personally.

Jim_Heart said:
-You should not waste your time for one show only because the author happened made one character that you like personally..

How is that a waste of time? Should I only watch things with 2 or more characters that I like personally? I rated the 1st season of Spice and Wolf 8/10 and rewatched it once so I clearly don't consider it time wasted. Now reading the novel might be a waste of time if Norah isn't in most of it but that's another topic altogether.

Jim_Heart said:
-Try to also like male character ...

Oh I do, including many of the ones on your list like Kamina, Rider and Gin. The problem is there are only 10 spots and girls end up flooding the top 10 easily.
It's really hard to compare male and female characters in the first place because what I like about them is completely different. It's a different type of "like" basically.
Aug 18, 2018 7:38 AM

Apr 2013
@vegeta8639
Hmm, i don't think you see my point here. You like the character that you want but a support character is just a support character. No matter how much you like her, no matter how much it's your waifu or whatever, this very simple fact doesn't change. Ever.
Complaining that a minor character just has a minor role in the story is ridiculous. of course she has, since she's a minor character. She was important only for her own arc (and even there she was still second to Holo and Lawrence) in a story that has a dozen of them. The whole story is about Lawrence and Holo travelling, so obviously any character who has no reason to join them in their travel will only be featured for as long as Holo and Lawrence stay around where they live.

So it was obvious from the start that she would never become a major character in the long run and disappear pretty much completely by the next arc. Yet you complain that she disappeared in the next arc as if that was unexpected or a bad idea, and your justification for this is that... You like the character. Sorry but what? Where's the logical part of your complaint here?

Also, the examples you take are bad examples here.
1), spice & wolf is the story of Holo and Lawrence. So if you remove Holo it's no longer spice & wolf. And the "spice & wolf without holo" exists btw. It's called "the wolf and the parchment" (ookami to youhishi). Because you change the major axis of the story , you make a new series out of it. So yes it's possible and there's no problem.
2) Fremy is central for 2/3rd of the 6 volumes currently out. Without her, the whole scenario so far doesn't make sense. However, by the end of volume 6 it's no longer the case, she can die at any time. And if you're not aware of this, FYI RnY author killed a lot of his characters in his previous series. Including the most likeable female character, half way through the story, and without any warning. So yes, if we ever get the following volume, Fremy dying is totally possible and I wouldn't be surprised. However, I would point out that dying for Fremy is almost better than continuing living for her. Fremy's life is one of the saddest I've seen in any novels. Her life is completely fucked up and there's no prospect for it to get any better. And that may be one reason why she won't die right away. And therefore maybe will die instead when she find hope for the first time, in fact...
And it's perfectly fine, just saying.
3) Just like Holo, toradora, is the story of tora, the tiger, and dora, the dragon. If you want to write a part of the story without the tiger, you can, but since she's central in toradora, the author would needs to make a sequel series for this, plain in simple.

Whereas getting rid of Nora doesn't affect what Spice and Wolf is about to the SLIGHTEST. She was only relevant for one small arc and that's it, no relevance to the overarching plot nor relevance to the main story's promises.

And yes, that's what I said, you don't know what mainstream means. What 's incredible is that you could have just googled it when I pointed that out and realize it, but instead you spent that time answering me that you know and proved that you don't.
"the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are shared by most people and regarded as normal or conventional."
Spice & wolf and Holo are neither regarded as normal or conventional (quite the contrary) and the ideas of this series (travelling romance between a semi eternal being and a human with a good amount of medieval economy in a fantasy world) or anything but shared by most or conventional.
"Mainstream" doesn't mean "like by most of a specific community". Spice & wolf in japan is NOWHERE near the most liked or best known anime either. It's so far away from that it's not funny. Just because some small communities of anime otaku values it a lot doesn't makes it "mainstream", *smh*.
ZefyrisAug 18, 2018 7:42 AM
Aug 18, 2018 9:17 AM

Jan 2013
Zefyris said:
Complaining that a minor character just has a minor role in the story is ridiculous. of course she has, since she's a minor character.

As if "minor" characters can't stick around or end up becoming very important later on in the story. Just one recent example is Nanachi from Made in Abyss who could have also just been important for her one arc but now she's going to be a main in season 2. I can easily think of ways that Norah could have ended up at least being a reoccurring character although admittedly I don't know where the author ended up taking the story.
One obvious way is she could have traveled with Lawrence and Holo to look for a good place where she can set up shop. Or maybe the church could be after her because they found out she was smuggling gold or just because she left them.
Really all you're saying is: "The author decided that she would be a minor character so you're shit out of luck." Yea, I fucking know that.

Zefyris said:
Where's the logical part of your complaint here?

P1: If a character I like doesn't get decent screen time I become upset.
P2: Norah is a character I like.
P3: Norah did not get decent screen time.
C: Therefore I am upset.

Is that logical enough for you?

Zefyris said:
spice & wolf is the story of Holo and Lawrence. So if you remove Holo it's no longer spice & wolf.

And where's the fucking logic in that? Pokemon is the story of Ash, Misty and Brock traveling around. So if you remove Misty, it's no longer Pokemon. I mean come on. Although I'd gladly take a spin off with Norah as the main if you think changing the name fixes things.

Zefyris said:
And the "spice & wolf without holo" exists btw. It's called "the wolf and the parchment" (ookami to youhishi). Because you change the major axis of the story , you make a new series out of it. So yes it's possible and there's no problem.

Yea I didn't know that and it might actually be worth checking out for white hair.
But honestly after 22 volumes or however many it has, I could see readers just wanting the story to conclude and not minding if the sequel starts focusing on someone else. That's kinda what they did with Naruto and Shaman King but I'll admit my mistake of overlooking the possibility of replacing a character with a better character and therefore making a story that's just as good or better.
I was mostly thinking about killing off your most popular character in volume 3 and then focusing on some random one that nobody cares about.

Zefyris said:
Fremy is central for 2/3rd of the 6 volumes currently out. Without her, the whole scenario so far doesn't make sense.

Yes but that's just the way the author decided to make it. They could have easily made Norah be absolutely central to the story or made Fremy show up for 1 episode/volume and then die if that's the route they decided to go in.

Zefyris said:
However, I would point out that dying for Fremy is almost better than continuing living for her. Fremy's life is one of the saddest I've seen in any novels. Her life is completely fucked up and there's no prospect for it to get any better. And that may be one reason why she won't die right away. And therefore maybe will die instead when she find hope for the first time, in fact...

Great, that type of stuff usually makes me like a character even more. I've actually been meaning to read Rokka no Yuusha but I've been putting it off because the next volume in English is about to come out. Or at least that's the excuse.
Just to make it clear, I don't mind if best girl does die as long as it's as the END of the series and as long as it's good (story wise). Like Schwi in NGNL:Zero for example. Yes I'll probably be sad and it will bring out the feels but I'm not gonna be complaining about it.
But that's basically what you're talking about. A death placed at an appropriate time. Although if the series kept going after that for too much longer, I would probably drop it unless I found another reason to keep reading.

Zefyris said:
Just like Holo, toradora, is the story of tora, the tiger, and dora, the dragon. If you want to write a part of the story without the tiger, you can, but since she's central in toradora, the author would needs to make a sequel series for this, plain in simple.

So as long as the character's name or some kind of reference to them is in the title, I am not allowed to suggest a hypothetical where that character gets shafted or killed off. Got it.
Just FFS. You know damn well none of the Taiga fans would read/watch that shit.

Zefyris said:
And yes, that's what I said, you don't know what mainstream means. What 's incredible is that you could have just googled it when I pointed that out and realize it, but instead you spent that time answering me that you know and proved that you don't.
"the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are shared by most people and regarded as normal or conventional."

Okay, so by that definition absolutely nothing is mainstream except school ecchi harem bullshit or CGDCT. Maybe also some Isekai.
But using a broader interpretation, it could be extended to apply to anime that are deemed "normal" to watch so basically things that are popular and well known.
Most people use it as a synonym for popular or easily recognizable by the general public.

Zefyris said:
Spice & wolf in japan is NOWHERE near the most liked or best known anime either. It's so far away from that it's not funny. Just because some small communities of anime otaku values it a lot doesn't makes it "mainstream", *smh*.

Well the only reason I watched it in the first place was because I kept seeing it fucking everywhere and it was short so I figured I might as well. I'm talking YouTube, recommendations, top 10 female characters (on and off MAL), people with Holo profile pictures etc. so I definitely would consider the series mainstream at least in the English speaking anime community. I assume it's decently popular in Japan if they printed this many fucking novels but I'm not an expert on how that works.
Aug 18, 2018 10:45 AM

Apr 2013
@vegeta8639
Uh Nora is a SHEPHERD. She's not going to be able to travel around with the main characters, she's directly dependant of the place the animals she has in charge are.
Those two are not going to settle around and she's not going to go for a life of travelling, so I repeat once again : Nora from the start was introduced as a minor character that would disappear from the story at the end of her arc.
Complaining that what was obvious from the start actually ended up logically happening doesn't make any sense. Trying to invent her a reason to travel with them is all cool but if all the character they meet does that they'll need a whole bus to travel by the end of the story.
Complaining that what was logical happened is far too unreasonable.

Another weird example with Pokemon. That thing is a series of video game before anything anyway, not any form of literature, and each pokemon game has its own title and its own protagonists. So see, here's the thing once again, in the same game, the protag doesn't change. Just like in S&W it's lawrence and Holo, if you want something else it's another title like W&P.

Authors are not going to write spin off series with every single side kick in the story as the main character just to please the fans of every single character...

Yes the author can make every single character encountered a main character that follows the group around. And this completely change the story from the travel of a merchant and the wise wolf to a tourist bus travelling around.
...Maybe that's why he didn't do that.

I would read a series without Taiga by the same author with other characters at the focus with no problem though. I like the author's humour and the way she writes and develop characters. I trust the author to be able to do something interesting, so I see no problem with going along for the ride.

It's not about the name in the title though. More about what the story is promising to the reader to be about. Some series do curveball, of course, but then they expose themselves to the readers being massively disappointed.

That final reason would still not make it mainstream. A 'titles that a lot of peoples rec" is not "mainstream".
A light novel doesn't need to be "decently popular" in order to print a lot of volumes btw. Sukasuka and its sequel are at 12 and it's still ongoing, and they probably sell below 4k per volume considering we never saw any them in the weekly ranking.
ZefyrisAug 18, 2018 10:49 AM
Aug 18, 2018 3:13 PM

Jan 2013
Zefyris said:

Uh Nora is a SHEPHERD. She's not going to be able to travel around with the main characters, she's directly dependant of the place the animals she has in charge are.

Hello? Didn't she stop being a shepherd after her arc and then went to open up a shop so she can become a seamstress? I don't know if it's any different in the novel but that's how I remember it going in the anime.

Zefyris said:
Those two are not going to settle around and she's not going to go for a life of travelling,

For a LITTLE WHILE. Christ. Until she finds a place to settle or something and you could easily stretch it for as many volumes as you wanted without passing a few months in story world time.

Zefyris said:
Complaining that what was obvious from the start actually ended up logically happening doesn't make any sense.

That is your OPINION mate. It was not "obvious" in the least especially since the show had only gone on for 7 episodes until she was introduced so it could have gone literally in any direction. And I don't know where the fuck they end up traveling in the novel but you could have EASILY had them travel back to wherever Norah is now so she can be in another volume. It would be infinitely better even if she was just a reoccurring character that showed up every now and then.

Zefyris said:
Trying to invent her a reason to travel with them is all cool but if all the character they meet does that they'll need a whole bus to travel by the end of the story.

HAHAHAHAHAHA Even if we fucking assume that every new character they meet would be as awesome as Norah and therefore deserving of as much screen time, you could still give it to them in shifts and they wouldn't all have to travel either.

Zefyris said:
Another weird example with Pokemon. That thing is a series of video game before anything anyway, not any form of literature, and each pokemon game has its own title and its own protagonists. So see, here's the thing once again, in the same game, the protag doesn't change.

What are you fucking talking about? In each game the protagonist changes but in the anime it's always Ash and Pikachu traveling with new people each season.
The first 275 episodes or so had Ash traveling with Misty (and Brock for most of it) then they swapped her out for May but according to you, that's not Pokemon anymore because Pokemon is about Ash, Misty and Brock's travels.
And before you say that Ash and Pikachu are the same, you could scrap Holo and keep Lawrence creating the same situation with 1 MC continuing with another traveling companion.
Now yes Misty's name isn't in the title but that is an absurd metric to use so it's irrelevant.

Zefyris said:
Authors are not going to write spin off series with every single side kick in the story as the main character just to please the fans of every single character...

Obviously not every character. But if you end up making such an amazing one like Norah, it should be a fucking crime not to keep using her in your story.

Zefyris said:
Yes the author can make every single character encountered a main character that follows the group around. And this completely change the story from the travel of a merchant and the wise wolf to a tourist bus travelling around.

Yea he could do that. OR he could do what I said regarding Norah and then do whatever the fuck else he wants since I don't give two shits about Holo or the main story. You could have her travel with them for a bit, settle down somewhere, then they could come visit for another appearance or you could always do a side story focusing on her. Leave the rest of the story mostly the same. You don't need a fucking tour bus for this.
I don't know why you keep using this strawman. Made in Abyss has a ton of characters too but they're not going to travel with every fucking one of them. They are only going to travel with Nanachi because she's awesome and I assume well received by the fans. You can do the same with Norah so your argument is shit.

Zefyris said:
I would read a series without Taiga by the same author with other characters at the focus with no problem though. I like the author's humour and the way she writes and develop characters. I trust the author to be able to do something interesting, so I see no problem with going along for the ride.

And I wouldn't because the show is fucking garbage if you take her out. You would have to add another girl good enough to make me keep watching.

Zefyris said:
A light novel doesn't need to be "decently popular" in order to print a lot of volumes btw. Sukasuka and its sequel are at 12 and it's still ongoing, and they probably sell below 4k per volume considering we never saw any them in the weekly ranking.

Well that sucks since I'm totally going to read that some day for grown up https://myanimelist.net/character/148740/Pannibal_Nox_Katena

But yea, his conversation is going nowhere. I made my case for why I think Norah deserves more screen time and I think the idea that having her appear 2-3 more times would ruin the story is ludicrous. I think Holo is trash tier and yes that is just my opinion. People just have shit taste and that's very clearly demonstrated by the fact that Senjougahara and Saber are that fucking close to Mikasa and Rem on the
most popular characters list.

Not to mention that MAL seems to be mostly populated by children, girls or faggots since you have only male characters occupying the top 11 and then the next 5 after Kurisu. Code Geass is overrated as fuck and Lelouch is not even that good a character. Light is way superior.
Mar 6, 2019 8:49 AM

Mar 2018
vegeta8639 said:

Oh and I'm sure you like Holo because she's such a deep well written character. You'd definitely like her just as much if she looked like a fat whale right?

I would, actually.
Mar 6, 2019 8:56 AM

Jan 2013
Jaces_Sanctum said:
vegeta8639 said:

I would, actually.

Oh great, someone's reviving this shitty thread again. Unless you already hate Holo, no you wouldn't like her just as much if she looked like Snooki from South Park. You're just deluding yourself if you think you would.
And this coming from a fellow Rem fan. Disappointing.
Mar 6, 2019 9:20 AM

Mar 2018
vegeta8639 said:
Jaces_Sanctum said:

I would, actually.

Oh great, someone's reviving this shitty thread again. Unless you already hate Holo, no you wouldn't like her just as much if she looked like Snooki from South Park. You're just deluding yourself if you think you would.

Her appearance has nothing to do with why I like her. She is, in fact, an entertaining and well written character.
Mar 6, 2019 9:28 AM

Jan 2013
Jaces_Sanctum said:
vegeta8639 said:

Her appearance has nothing to do with why I like her. She is, in fact, an entertaining and well written character.

I'm not saying she's not well written or entertaining (well actually I am but that's not relevant to my point), I'm saying the people who like her would not longer like her if she was fat and ugly. This is just obviously true. I'm sure you like her personality as well but without the looks, it's all fucking worthless.
Mar 6, 2019 10:08 AM

Mar 2018
I'm sorry to hear you think everyone in the world is that shallow. Her good looks do not amount to the entirety of her worth taking precedence over any other traits, that's just objectively wrong. I realize that people have different tastes, and as such she may not be entertaining to you, and you may not like her personality, but that doesn't mean her good looks are all that matter about her.
Mar 6, 2019 1:49 PM

Jan 2013
Jaces_Sanctum said:
I'm sorry to hear you think everyone in the world is that shallow. Her good looks do not amount to the entirety of her worth taking precedence over any other traits, that's just objectively wrong. I realize that people have different tastes, and as such she may not be entertaining to you, and you may not like her personality, but that doesn't mean her good looks are all that matter about her.

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said good looks are ALL that matter about her. I'm just saying that without them, nobody would be amused by her personality. Being a tsundere doesn't work if you're ugly.
And yes everyone is that shallow and looks do take precedence over everything else. If those are shit then the rest is irrelevant.
Who would read Spice and Wolf if there was a fat blob there instead of a cute wolf girl? Nobody except maybe people looking for a good laugh.

Now if the appearance is passable THEN the personality can make or break a character from there. Which means looks aren't ALL that matter but they are certainly the foundation.
Mar 6, 2019 3:26 PM

Mar 2018
vegeta8639 said:
I'm just saying that without them, nobody would be amused by her personality. Being a tsundere doesn't work if you're ugly.

So... her looks are all that matters, because no one likes her personality without them? You're seriously just repeating me here.
Furthermore, why would her looks matter in the books? It's literally just text. While the books may not have been your cup of tea, I found them to be very well written and interesting, with Holo only being a minor contributing factor to that.
Mar 6, 2019 7:52 PM

Jan 2013
Jaces_Sanctum said:
vegeta8639 said:
I'm just saying that without them, nobody would be amused by her personality. Being a tsundere doesn't work if you're ugly.

So... her looks are all that matters, because no one likes her personality without them? You're seriously just repeating me here.
Furthermore, why would her looks matter in the books? It's literally just text. While the books may not have been your cup of tea, I found them to be very well written and interesting, with Holo only being a minor contributing factor to that.

Do you have some kind of mental illness that prevents you from comprehending text? For the 3rd time, I never said looks are ALL that matter. That implies that someone like Rei from NGE for example would be equally as good if she were a violent tsundere. That's obviously not true.
A comparison would be me saying that cake would taste bad without any sugar and you keep responding with "Oh so you think sugar is ALL that matters in a cake??? So even if I shit on the cake it will taste good if I add a ton of sugar?"
Obviously not you fucking mong. Stop strawmanning me.

" why would her looks matter in the books? It's literally just text. "

Because you're imagining what she looks like while reading. Even if she was never described/illustrated you would make up some image in your head probably. It's not like I've never read a book in my life.
And actually you can have a quality character that's ugly but not as a waifu candidate. So Squealer from Shinsekai Yori for example is a good character but if you made Holo look like him, she would be way shittier and nobody would like her anymore. This is just fact.
Lastly I never said anything about the quality of the books since I've never read them. I might some day but the lack of Norah is definitely disheartening. I'll probably just read her chapters or something.
Aug 2, 2019 6:58 AM

Aug 2016
Sorry to revive this thread. I finally gotten around to watching spice and wolf and just finished season 1. I really liked Norah too, thats why I went online to find out if she makes an another appearance. I don't really read LN's or manga so I'm glad she at least comes back in the ova.

I never take apart in these waifu wars lol, as things can get pretty heated and toxic. Anyways it's too bad Norah won't be making another appearance in season 2.
Aug 3, 2019 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
ZuzuMiBachi said:
Sorry to revive this thread. I finally gotten around to watching spice and wolf and just finished season 1. I really liked Norah too, thats why I went online to find out if she makes an another appearance. I don't really read LN's or manga so I'm glad she at least comes back in the ova.

That would make you the second person to agree with me. Yay!
Norah's pretty prominent in the OVA and doesn't appear in season 2 at all. The author clearly didn't give a shit about her and it looks like most of the fans don't either. But season 2 is way worse than S1 even if we ignore Norah completely.

ZuzuMiBachi said:
I never take apart in these waifu wars lol, as things can get pretty heated and toxic.

If you look at the first few posts in this thread, I was just asking a simple question and then the asshole above randomly decided to call Norah a boring character and condescendingly insulted my taste for liking her. I literally didn't mention Holo before that.
So this thread wasn't meant to devolve into a waifu war at all but I'll engage in one any day of the week under those circumstances.

Anyway I'm glad somebody else likes Norah and I hope you enjoy the OVA at least.
Aug 17, 2021 8:20 PM
Jul 2020
vegeta8639 said:
Nora is not in season 2 of the anime at all so I'm asking if she ever shows up again in the novel past that part. If yes I might actually consider reading it. Spoilers are fine.

I know I'm waaaaaay late to the party with this thread but Norah also appears in Volume 17 (I think) of the LN, along with a few other females from earlier in the series. It's set like 5 years after she met Lawrence and Holo so you get to see where life has taken her up to that point.

By the way, I haven't read this entire thread because it was getting pretty tedious, but for what it's worth I think people were being a bit ridiculous getting all butthurt that you like Norah, especially in a thread that is literally about her. I thought Norah was a great character and I would have loved to have seen more of her, and this is coming from someone who thinks Holo is the best female anime/LN/manga there is.
The criteria I use when rating shows is on my profile.
Aug 18, 2021 4:02 AM

Jan 2013
Hughsie said:
vegeta8639 said:

I know I'm waaaaaay late to the party with this thread but Norah also appears in Volume 17 (I think) of the LN, along with a few other females from earlier in the series. It's set like 5 years after she met Lawrence and Holo so you get to see where life has taken her up to that point.

By the way, I haven't read this entire thread because it was getting pretty tedious, but for what it's worth I think people were being a bit ridiculous getting all butthurt that you like Norah, especially in a thread that is literally about her. I thought Norah was a great character and I would have loved to have seen more of her, and this is coming from someone who thinks Holo is the best female anime/LN/manga there is.

Thanks for being reasonable man. The point of this thread was never to shit on Holo but rather I just really enjoyed the season 1 arc with Norah and was curious whether she got any more appearances in the novel. I didn't really like season 2 so I'm not sure I'd wanna read all 50 volumes if it's all gonna be like that.
I didn't even mention Holo but people are just triggered that I implicitly don't like her because I'm not scrambling to read the entire novel because she's oh so amazing.
I still cannot understand how someone's favorite girl girl can take up 99% of the screentime, win at the end (the sequel is apparently about their daughter) and yet they still get triggered that someone else dares to like a different girl. Just wtf?
And I just wanted Norah to have more screen time, you can keep your precious pairing, I don't care.

Anyway thanks for the new information. I obviously haven't read any of the novel 4 years later but I'll write that down and hopefully get to it at some point. Probably whenever I rewatch the anime again I'll get the urge to read it.
Jul 20, 2022 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
This is kind of off from the original topic but I just found out that there's this Spice and Wolf game made back in 2009 called Spice and Wolf: The Wind that Spans the Sea. It's sorta like a VN dating sim type game with Norah as one of the 4 heroines.
She has a ton of cute little cutscenes in it with voice lines, some CGs and you can actually get a romantic ending although it's not too explicit. Lawrence splits up with Holo and decides to open up a shop in this town Norah becomes a seamstress at so he can sell her clothes.
It was pretty nice, here are some screenshots from it (it's a DS game so they're kinda low quality):

Personally I'm not even that crazy about the ship and all I wanted was Norah to get some more screentime in general but regardless this is pretty adorable. For any fellow Norah fans that still stumble upon this thread I hope you find this helpful.

More topics from this board

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 4

JeremiahOrange - Nov 2, 2023

1 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 8, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 1

removed-user - Apr 9, 2016

4 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 3 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 19, 2015

1 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:32 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Chapter 2 Discussion

TripleSRank - Nov 17, 2015

3 by gannoncannon55 »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:52 AM

» Ookami to Koushinryou Vol. 6

JeremiahOrange - Nov 6, 2023

0 by JeremiahOrange »»
Nov 6, 2023 5:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.