Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 20, 2017 7:25 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Deknijff said:
Stripesu said:
The beginning half is drags hard, yes. But the pay off to everything that happens is well worth the time, all down to the smallest things like the young girl who first got attacked with her brother being reunited with her mother. How did you not appreciate all the themes and insight in the arc op? Literal how.
eh well sure the family reuniting is touching but what themes are you talking about really?
is it just the survival of the fittest and that humans eat animals so its ok for ants to eat humans?
because other than that Im not remembering any important themes nor did I think those 2 themes were that insightful as thats something Im pretty sure most already know without watching the show

The conversation on Humanity during the Netero vs Meruem. And how ruthless the human race are in order to survive is one of the biggest themes I've ever faced and it's very encapsulated. The break of innocence in Gon character within the breakdown of his character in putting others at risk for his own needs that deteriorates his own morality is one that doesn't get enough attention. The real life parallel of the NGL with Cambodia / North Korea and the dictator ship and everything that went into the build up of all the politics not to mention all the going on of abuse and suffering of Gyro.

Probably more, been 6 months since I've watched but there are a lot even more under the surface. I just named these at the top of my head.
Nov 20, 2017 7:26 AM

Sep 2014
Deknijff said:
Hrybami said:
Why do they exist? Because iirc the species just kind of appear spontaneously with no real justification as to why they are that strong. Humanoid creature is not a feature of evolution.
well yeah the Queen showed up randomly yes but the more she feed on life forms the stronger they became as a life cycle as they added the strong mutations of the species they ate
What you mean there was no justification for their strength? The more food she ate the stronger the individual ant she birthed became
thats why it took so long for the Royal Guards and the King to be born because she needed to eat a ridicules amount of food

Okay I get it, that makes more sense in its context. Well it has to be expected in a series where you get stronger nen according on how angry you are.
Nov 20, 2017 7:38 AM

Oct 2013
If you actually want to understand some of the themes and also Gons morality in the Chimera arc and not just to bash it to blow off some steam here are some videos with the best analysis for the arc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vhp65bgKOo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XnqUDIxZhw
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nov 20, 2017 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
Nuh uh. The Chimera Ant arc helped resolve some plot points in the Hunter X Hunter series. Gon reunites with Kite and his father, Ging (though only after the aftermath and during the election). Killua manages to put his trust in other people. Netero dies while "saving" the human race. The Chimera Ants helped lead the Hunter association to organization the Dark Continent expedition, etc.

This arc, as with many arcs, helps bring up a lot of things and it has a lot going for it in the future. If we're talking top 10 shounen arcs, then this has the potential to be in the top 3, though it's generally a toss up with Chapter Black, with the Jinchu and Marineford arcs being my top 2.
Nov 20, 2017 7:46 AM

Oct 2013
Stripesu said:
The conversation on Humanity during the Netero vs Meruem. And how ruthless the human race are in order to survive is one of the biggest themes I've ever faced and it's very encapsulated.
eh well then yeah its basically the survival of the fittest that I mentioned earlier. Im not seeing whats so special about that theme.
Most people know humans kill for supremacy as shown in history.
Stripesu said:
The break of innocence in Gon character within the breakdown of his character in putting others at risk for his own needs that deteriorates his own morality is one that doesn't get enough attention. The real life parallel of the NGL with Cambodia / North Korea and the dictator ship and everything that went into the build up of all the politics not to mention all the going on of abuse and suffering of Gyro.
Well if you like the Arc for the development of Gon thats all good. But if I remember right the suffering of Gyro was hardly focused on and was more so there as a justification for the King to seem like a ruthless asshole as his personality had been infused within the King as his mother ate him for his birth.
Hrybami said:
Okay I get it, that makes more sense in its context. Well it has to be expected in a series where you get stronger nen according on how angry you are.
eh well the nen is more powerful the more you're willing to give up and sacrifice so anger can be a justified case for the increase in some cases of the show
at least the one at the end of the arc if thats what you're referring to with Gon
Nov 20, 2017 8:21 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Hrybami said:
Stripesu said:
The beginning half is drags hard, yes. But the pay off to everything that happens is well worth the time, all down to the smallest things like the young girl who first got attacked with her brother being reunited with her mother. How did you not appreciate all the themes and insight in the arc op? Literal how.

I didn't find the payoff to be anything but frustrating because the whole arc felt like a very bad filler. I don't find the whole point of the arc to be implemented perfectly in the series overall. There were no overshadowing of this species or of Kite. It's just an arc that feel out of place with themes that a 10 year old kid shouldn't deal with. But the most frustrating thing about the arc is the resolution with revenge and violence. I knew from the start how it will end so dragging the plot forever just for that conclusion is really unsatisfying. It's more because in fact all of that were the fault of that bunch of asshole ant that shouldn't even be alive and the anime didn't bothered justifying why they should exist in the first place. In conclusion, the whole arc is really frustrating and the it feels more like a filler than anything else.

Of the few things the anime really changed it was that Kite was suppose to be more of a push for Gon adventure at the beginning of the series but I don't think it's all that detrimental to the overall story.

Are you saying that violence doesn't end conflict? It does. Is it always morally just? No obviously not and Gon ended up paying for it and are you really speaking of how Gon is just "too" young to be dealing with this well the universe and it's rules say he can be a Hunter how just is that?

If it was a filler it wouldn't have any consequences or effected the characters and the world to the degree it did. I don't think you've watched enough bad filler if you're saying it was a bad arc. Did it have little set up, yeah I can agree with that, but I don't think it had to be so eluded to, considering the only connecting factors would either be knowing of Kite which he's a pretty underground hunter and where would they Gon and Killua heard about him and the NGL which is already set up to be so remote and isolated. The Chimera Ants and their evolution is explain thoroughly and how the characters find out and determine to eliminate the problem is grounded, the case of Gon and Killua being mixed up is incidental and they CHOOSE to be involved by a certain point.

And go up a few posts to see themes tackled in the series, it wasn't so basic and frustrating if you got anything out of that but maybe that's just not your tea.
Nov 20, 2017 8:53 AM

Sep 2014
Stripesu said:
Hrybami said:

I didn't find the payoff to be anything but frustrating because the whole arc felt like a very bad filler. I don't find the whole point of the arc to be implemented perfectly in the series overall. There were no overshadowing of this species or of Kite. It's just an arc that feel out of place with themes that a 10 year old kid shouldn't deal with. But the most frustrating thing about the arc is the resolution with revenge and violence. I knew from the start how it will end so dragging the plot forever just for that conclusion is really unsatisfying. It's more because in fact all of that were the fault of that bunch of asshole ant that shouldn't even be alive and the anime didn't bothered justifying why they should exist in the first place. In conclusion, the whole arc is really frustrating and the it feels more like a filler than anything else.

Of the few things the anime really changed it was that Kite was suppose to be more of a push for Gon adventure at the beginning of the series but I don't think it's all that detrimental to the overall story.

Are you saying that violence doesn't end conflict? It does. Is it always morally just? No obviously not and Gon ended up paying for it and are you really speaking of how Gon is just "too" young to be dealing with this well the universe and it's rules say he can be a Hunter how just is that?

If it was a filler it wouldn't have any consequences or effected the characters and the world to the degree it did. I don't think you've watched enough bad filler if you're saying it was a bad arc. Did it have little set up, yeah I can agree with that, but I don't think it had to be so eluded to, considering the only connecting factors would either be knowing of Kite which he's a pretty underground hunter and where would they Gon and Killua heard about him and the NGL which is already set up to be so remote and isolated. The Chimera Ants and their evolution is explain thoroughly and how the characters find out and determine to eliminate the problem is grounded, the case of Gon and Killua being mixed up is incidental and they CHOOSE to be involved by a certain point.

And go up a few posts to see themes tackled in the series, it wasn't so basic and frustrating if you got anything out of that but maybe that's just not your tea.

I'm not saying violence doesn't end conflict. It's more that I'm expecting better conclusion from the plot and in a storytelling perspective rather than trusting everything upon character development. It's only character development after character development again and again. It's overdone in a way that the whole climax was pointed out blatantly numerous time before the conclusion of the arc. So I really couldn't find any payoff from the totality of the arc given that everything went according on how the anime itself expected it to play off.

I didn't like Gon character to begin with and I'm honestly annoyed by all the morality relativism the anime sheds over my face. It can become a really boring concept when it's overdone. But I think my dissatisfaction comes more from my hate toward existentialism. So you're right it's really not my cup of tea.
Dec 17, 2017 7:35 PM

May 2015
imo, yes

why? slow paced and no explanation aka made my brain melt

indeed, fans get to see gon and killua badass moments but yeah chimera ant arc aint my cup of tea

hxh best arc is yorknew arc

for me at least

Dec 18, 2017 9:40 AM

Jan 2011
Hrybami said:
Stripesu said:

I'm not saying violence doesn't end conflict. It's more that I'm expecting better conclusion from the plot and in a storytelling perspective rather than trusting everything upon character development. It's only character development after character development again and again. It's overdone in a way that the whole climax was pointed out blatantly numerous time before the conclusion of the arc. So I really couldn't find any payoff from the totality of the arc given that everything went according on how the anime itself expected it to play off.

I didn't like Gon character to begin with and I'm honestly annoyed by all the morality relativism the anime sheds over my face. It can become a really boring concept when it's overdone. But I think my dissatisfaction comes more from my hate toward existentialism. So you're right it's really not my cup of tea.

the most of shonen shows did not have character development, also most of those shows DEPENDS so much of the main character.
What makes chimera ant (HxH) great is the importance of every character in order of finding their own answers that trascend in the plot.
For example:
welfin, Komugi, Pitou, Pouf, youpi....

You dislikes Gon's attitude?. XD, why?, because he did not punch Pitou after seeing her (cough like the most popular shonen from the jump) or because he did Not fight with the main bad villain like the MOST (allmost all) shonen adventure.

seriously, I don't know why but the most of people who creates these kind of topics are big fans of 2 average shonens adventure.
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Dec 18, 2017 9:41 AM

May 2012
Yorknew is easily the worst arc. No character development shit fighting. Kurapika is a bitch and is the worst character. get better taste.
Dec 18, 2017 9:53 AM

Sep 2014
cronosteso23 said:
Hrybami said:

the most of shonen shows did not have character development, also most of those shows DEPENDS so much of the main character.
What makes chimera ant (HxH) great is the importance of every character in order of finding their own answers that trascend in the plot.
For example:

You dislikes Gon's attitude?. XD, why?, because he did not punch Pitou after seeing her (cough like the most popular shonen from the jump) or because he did Not fight with the main bad villain like the MOST (allmost all) shonen adventure.

seriously, I don't know why but the most of people who creates these kind of topics are big fans of 2 average shonens adventure.

I'm confused.

What does the other shounen have to do with this?
And what's the link between my dissatisfaction toward the arc and the relation between Gon and Meruem? Where does this come from??
Dec 29, 2017 4:00 PM

Jan 2011
Hrybami said:
cronosteso23 said:

For example:

I'm confused.

And what's the link between my dissatisfaction toward the arc and the relation between Gon and Meruem? Where does this come from??

Hrybami said:

I dont know men, people like you appear everywhere and they said the same stuff

-"It's more because in fact all of that were the fault of that bunch of asshole ant that shouldn't even be alive and the anime didn't bothered justifing why they should exist in the first place"
-- for example my friend, In HxH, the existence of magical beast was explained (but the chimeras are not magical beast, consequently they are assimilated with it)however that comment of yours ignores the most common technique in a narrative used to move the plot forward, instead the chimera ant apparition did not annoy or confuse the viewer since it follows a logical line

-"because the whole arc felt like a very bad filler"
--the only Madhouse mistake was showing kite until episode 76, then Kite tell us why hunting this ant it's important

EP 76-85: 1.a person found the insect leg
2. The chimera ant reproduce in a way not found in any other organism : PHAGOGENESIS
3.THE queen consume any species she particularly likes to EXTINNTION
4. a chimera ant has been born with HUMAN GENES
5. the chimera births more and more soldier ants.... there should be entire villages or towns of missing people
6. The chimera ant could be at NGL, then even if they (NGL citizens) tried to contact the outside, it would be too late
7. Gyro appears (plot device)
8.initially, Chimera ants did not produce nen, however they learn it after
9. the royal guard appears
10. Kite is death but Gon thought kite is alive.........

II. SAVING KITE AND STOP THE KING 86- 110
Gon and Killua were training however they lost once again
the king has born, he is merciless and dangerous
kite is a kind of zombi.....
Komugi appears
the king is becoming human.........

III. Palace invasion 111-135........

CONCLUSSION: definitely, Chimera ant arc was not a filler, in fact this arc is large because it's necessary (Not like FT or OP)

--"I didn't like Gon character to begin with and I'm honestly annoyed by all the morality relativism the anime sheds over my face. It can become a really boring concept when it's overdone"
- CONCLUSSION II: Ok. whatever. you dislike the previous videos, the character development, Gon, just because. or better yet, you dislike Gon because you liking those heroes who does the right thing because everything goes right

in the end if you dislike the whole show, good for you
cronosteso23Dec 29, 2017 4:14 PM
Dec 30, 2017 1:42 PM

Sep 2014
cronosteso23 said:
Hrybami said:

I'm confused.

Hrybami said:

-"It's more because in fact all of that were the fault of that bunch of asshole ant that shouldn't even be alive and the anime didn't bothered justifing why they should exist in the first place"
-- for example my friend, In HxH, the existence of magical beast was explained (but the chimeras are not magical beast, consequently they are assimilated with it)however that comment of yours ignores the most common technique in a narrative used to move the plot forward, instead the chimera ant apparition did not annoy or confuse the viewer since it follows a logical line

--the only Madhouse mistake was showing kite until episode 76, then Kite tell us why hunting this ant it's important

2. The chimera ant reproduce in a way not found in any other organism : PHAGOGENESIS
5. the chimera births more and more soldier ants.... there should be entire villages or towns of missing people
6. The chimera ant could be at NGL, then even if they (NGL citizens) tried to contact the outside, it would be too late

Komugi appears

CONCLUSSION: definitely, Chimera ant arc was not a filler, in fact this arc is large because it's necessary (Not like FT or OP)

--"I didn't like Gon character to begin with and I'm honestly annoyed by all the morality relativism the anime sheds over my face. It can become a really boring concept when it's overdone"
- CONCLUSSION II: Ok. whatever. you dislike the previous videos, the character development, Gon, just because. or better yet, you dislike Gon because you liking those heroes who does the right thing because everything goes right

Sorry my complaints were probably not clear enough. I don't mind the apparition of magical beast. I'm quite aware that the manga is 100% fantasy and I don't think the chimera ant species as a whole is a bad idea. My complaint was that the arc felt like a filler because there was a lack of connection between the new introduced species and the events that occurred in the previous arcs. Actually the only thing that follows the arcs are the character development. Other than that, I didn't find many foreshadowing that was relevant to the arc. The fact that the arc concluded by itself was also why I thought the arc felt like a filler. I don't plan to read further in the manga, so I won't comment on this, but when an arc is concluded, it should stay relevant to the screenplay other than character development.

To be honest I totally don't know why you assume that I have to only like heroes who do things right. Either you're assuming this out of nowhere, or either you're really bad at doing your research because there are controversy in basically each conflict given in basically each anime. That means that there are most likely characters faced with a problem which cannot be resolved with a "right" choice, only better or worse choices. Given the experience of the character and the situation, the character might or might not make the better move. And that happens in basically each conflict that happens in anime. As for in Hunter x Hunter, I didn't mind the actions of Gon, However I do dislike the conclusion to the arc, not because of the lack of "right" choice, but rather because the arc was really disappointing as a whole. It was disappointing because it was character development overdone and there wasn't much other than that. So when I was starting to get annoyed by the character development I tried to look forward to something else in the screenplay, but I was not served.

In the end, the whole show is pretty mediocre, but the chimera ant arc was what brought down the whole show. I hope that I better expressed myself this time.
Jan 3, 2018 8:02 PM

Jan 2011
Hrybami said:
cronosteso23 said:

Komugi appears

Sorry my complaints were probably not clear enough. I don't mind the apparition of magical beast. I'm quite aware that the manga is 100% fantasy and I don't think the chimera ant species as a whole is a bad idea. My complaint was that the arc felt like a filler because there was a lack of connection between the new introduced species and the events that occurred in the previous arcs. Actually the only thing that follows the arcs are the character development. Other than that, I didn't find many foreshadowing that was relevant to the arc. The fact that the arc concluded by itself was also why I thought the arc felt like a filler. I don't plan to read further in the manga, so I won't comment on this, but when an arc is concluded, it should stay relevant to the screenplay other than character development.

To be honest I totally don't know why you assume that I have to only like heroes who do things right. Either you're assuming this out of nowhere, or either you're really bad at doing your research because there are controversy in basically each conflict given in basically each anime. That means that there are most likely characters faced with a problem which cannot be resolved with a "right" choice, only better or worse choices. Given the experience of the character and the situation, the character might or might not make the better move. And that happens in basically each conflict that happens in anime. As for in Hunter x Hunter, I didn't mind the actions of Gon, However I do dislike the conclusion to the arc, not because of the lack of "right" choice, but rather because the arc was really disappointing as a whole. It was disappointing because it was character development overdone and there wasn't much other than that. So when I was starting to get annoyed by the character development I tried to look forward to something else in the screenplay, but I was not served.

In the end, the whole show is pretty mediocre, but the chimera ant arc was what brought down the whole show. I hope that I better expressed myself this time.

Chimera ant was only character development?. XD, well that's a lot when the most of shows lack of that element.

--"filler because there was a lack of connection between the new introduced species and the events that occurred in the previous arcs"
-once again. you are ignoring the simple concept of PLOT DEVICE, which may be introduced logically or ilogically according to the plot or narrative.

for example: the haki of one piece was presented so bad (300+ chapter) because we have a lot of chapters and the most of "badass characters" barely showing haki during the BIG WAR (marineford)

-most imortant: your affirmation is unreasonable since you are ignoring the purpose of the main character (+3) or the synopsis of HxH. however there are elements of every arc which are important to the adventure and Gon's purpose + world building:
1. the hunter asociation + zoldick family + magical beast
2. geney ryodan + basics of nen
3. Greed island + training + deeping nen
4. chimera ant + politics + chimera ant
5. DARK CONTINENT expedition + Kurapika's return

XD. are those elements only character development? BTW is that relevant or foreshadowing?. XD

---the right choice that you mentioned had nothing to do with the moral aspects nor the contradiction itself since I'm pretty sure that those "most of likely characters" faced a problem against a ONE DIMENSIONAL CHARACTER (villain). In a nutshell: plot convenience

for example: Luffy vs the goverment

what makes Chimera/HxH itself great was that any character has a purpose and personality. aside of that the villain is not going after the main character
cronosteso23Jan 3, 2018 8:06 PM
Jan 3, 2018 8:41 PM
Oct 2017
Yes,this arc is nonsensical and stupid,that is why Fairy tail is much better shounen than HxH.
Jan 3, 2018 9:20 PM

Sep 2014
cronosteso23 said:
Hrybami said:

Chimera ant was only character development?. XD, well that's a lot when the most of shows lack of that element.

--"filler because there was a lack of connection between the new introduced species and the events that occurred in the previous arcs"
-once again. you are ignoring the simple concept of PLOT DEVICE, which may be introduced logically or ilogically according to the plot or narrative.

for example: the haki of one piece was presented so bad (300+ chapter) because we have a lot of chapters and the most of "badass characters" barely showing haki during the BIG WAR (marineford)

-most imortant: your affirmation is unreasonable since you are ignoring the purpose of the main character (+3) or the synopsis of HxH. however there are elements of every arc which are important to the adventure and Gon's purpose + world building:
1. the hunter asociation + zoldick family + magical beast
2. geney ryodan + basics of nen
3. Greed island + training + deeping nen
4. chimera ant + politics + chimera ant
5. DARK CONTINENT expedition + Kurapika's return

XD. are those elements only character development? BTW is that relevant or foreshadowing?. XD

---the right choice that you mentioned had nothing to do with the moral aspects nor the contradiction itself since I'm pretty sure that those "most of likely characters" faced a problem against a ONE DIMENSIONAL CHARACTER (villain). In a nutshell: plot convenience

for example: Luffy vs the goverment

what makes Chimera/HxH itself great was that any character has a purpose and personality. aside of that the villain is not going after the main character

Yeah... nope this doesn't make much sense. You just make assumptions out of nowhere. If you want to rant on One Piece just go to the respective sub forum.

Wow the show has plot elements in the story. It's really great isn't it? smh
Jan 3, 2018 9:30 PM

Jun 2013
To me all arcs are equally good each has it's own unique aspect so watching the entirety of hxh from 1 episode to 148 feels really good. (and by the way i'm currently re-watching hxh 2011 for the seventh time while i'm waiting for the ruturn of the manga which is this month lol)
Jan 4, 2018 8:36 AM
Jun 2010
Honestly... The Chimera Ant arc ruined the series for me, if not Greed Island. Anything after Yorkshin felt very random and somehow the depth of the story disappeared. Also the end with Ging is one of the worst endings of the series you can have. It was Gon's ambition to meet Ging (which is already a very weak point to drive the story because we know so little about Ging) but turns out he is one of the biggest assholes who enjoys riding on random monsters/birds more than ever talking to his son.

I still feel bad that I invested all that time into the series and it had so little to show for it. I could not buy into Gon's character which is probably why I did not enjoy the series. Also mentioning that I also watched the old series and loved how dark it was compared to the new one.

Still, I understand and respect that especially the Chimera Ant arc was enjoyable for others. I just don't want to hear of it ever again. The endless narration made my ears bleed, the bad characterisation....I will just stop here and say I really dislike it.
Jan 4, 2018 12:05 PM

Apr 2015
I honestly found the arc at first to be annoying and slow, it picked up after the queen died and especially the infiltration of the palace. It is not my favorite arc, but it had the strongest soundtrack compared to the other arcs and had amazing and memorable scenes with great character developments for both main and side characters.

Plus, The fight between the chairman and the king, Gon and Pitou is truly epic and magnificent imo.
Jan 4, 2018 11:09 PM

Dec 2013
I really don't know what are you talking about. This arc gave me life.
Jan 11, 2018 8:47 PM

Oct 2017
Its overrated shit, this anime in general is way overrated. It was enjoyable at times ( especailly Yorknew city) no doubt but people think like this is some sort of unrivaled masterpiece (muh deconstruction).

The mangaka thought too highly of himself as well when he made the trainwreck called Chimera Ant
Aardwolf94Jan 11, 2018 9:54 PM
Jan 20, 2018 12:13 PM

Nov 2009
Compared to the Alluca arc and his/her healing bs, the Chimera Arc is just shounen business as usual, that is, ridiculous and crazy, but in comparison to the Alluca/Nanika arc, the levels of deux ex machina aren't nearly as skyhigh.

The best arc is still the Gen'ei Ryoudan/Yorkshin arc for me.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 21, 2018 11:49 AM

Jan 2017
I think it's just wasted potential. I just can't take it seriously with such a terrible pacing where there are characters holding breath for 10 episodes.
Jan 22, 2018 1:28 AM
Jan 2018
Takamura-sama said:
The show's peak was during the Kurapika revenge arc (aka yorknew arc) That arc was easily one of my favorite arcs ever.

The start was really good, but I currently am at the chimera ant arc and I feel like this arc is really stupid and so dragged out.

I just need my babe (I am not gay) Kurapika back <3

Who else thinks that this arc is too dragged out?

Yeah, it feels like the narration of this arc is over the top. Still like it though specially when the Ant King ang Kumogi dies.
Jan 24, 2018 11:39 PM

Jul 2015
I feel like the only thing that was dragged out was Episodes 75-79, the Knuckle fight, and episodes 112-115, other than that the arc had me on the edge of my seat and worthy to be in my Top 10 favorite arcs ever(Golden Age from Berserk is of course #1 though)

and the pacing is even better in the manga compared to the anime(but I recommend the volume scans for that though for the redrawn artwork)
Sup...
Mar 3, 2018 2:34 PM

Feb 2016
I dropped the show midway through the ant arc cause it got too boring and bad.
Mar 3, 2018 2:52 PM

May 2015
It's nice to see that people STILL think overrated is a criticism. MAL never changes I guess.

Mar 3, 2018 3:58 PM

Sep 2014
Kittens-kun said:
It's nice to see that people STILL think overrated is a criticism. MAL never changes I guess.

Nobody think overrated is a criticism and we don't live in a world where subjectivity is forbidden either. So you probably just panic for no reason as usual.
Mar 3, 2018 5:26 PM

Dec 2016
Kittens-kun said:

Based on what do you get that idea? I don't think anyone thinks calling something overrated is a criticism, but rather a perception.

And OT: Yes, the Chimera Ant arc is stupid, and ruined Hunter x Hunter.
Mar 3, 2018 9:17 PM

Feb 2016
Glenfinnan said:
Kittens-kun said:

Based on what do you get that idea? I don't think anyone thinks calling something overrated is a criticism, but rather a perception.

And OT: Yes, the Chimera Ant arc is stupid, and ruined Hunter x Hunter.
HxH 2011 was ruined long before the ant arc, the superhuman and epic larger-than-life portrayal of Chrollo did that. He's just a dude for crying out loud, he gets captured cause it's kind of hard to see, stop giving him stupidly epic scenes.
Mar 5, 2018 3:45 AM

Feb 2016
vedatsvet said:
If you actually want to understand some of the themes and also Gons morality in the Chimera arc and not just to bash it to blow off some steam here are some videos with the best analysis for the arc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vhp65bgKOo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XnqUDIxZhw
I'm not that interested in the themes tbh, it was boring to watch and the characters weren't interesting and there were a bunch of scenes that just felt like a pain to watch and took me out of the world I was barely immersed in anyway. A theme doesn't really add much to my enjoyment of a show if it doesn't affect the story or characters in an interesting way. That's why I like TNG so much, every theme they have is handled by creating an interesting story/scenario first, and having a theme (as a very close) second.
If HxH (2011) failed in the first the second one doesn't really matter to me anymore.
If The Measure of a Man (TNG season 2 episode 9) didn't have the fantastic story and characters, and fantastic scenes that play out just perfectly, the themes about slavery and AI rights wouldn't have mattered. This episode is only amazing because it gave the themes a face you could fall in love with.
This is where HxH (2011) failed for me.

I've already watched the Gon video and thought applying it to HxH 1999 was very interesting and added to the show, however it adds nothing to 2011 since I'm not interested in that world or its characters because they fail to create interest in them, and fail to place them in interested scenarios/places (even when taking the ideas in the video into account, which you shouldn't have to).
I've been wanting to watch more of Alecxander's videos but I cannot stand looking at the 2011 show as he talks about stuff that only interests me if it were about 1999.
SnufkinMar 5, 2018 3:53 AM
Mar 12, 2018 5:19 PM

Aug 2009
Cyandris said:
I don't know at which episode you are atm, but I can tell you that I had the same problem. When the CA arc started, I basically had to force myself to continue watching. A friend told me to just watch it, it's so good, but I couldn't keep going. I was close to dropping it about 20 episodes into the arc. I kinda stopped watching for a while and over half a year later I saw a video on Youtube with a scene from the later episodes of HxH. That was the moment I decided to just give it another try. "If I still can't get into it I'll seriously drop it", was what I thought. It took me another 20 episodes to at least feel something for the characters again. And when a certain person appeared and turned the whole arc around, I was hooked again. Watched the rest in a couple of days. (Just finished it today xD)

In the end, I don't regret watching it. It had it's lengths, it was painfully slow, but it was ok. I had fun. I cried. I was happy.

I'm not a fanboy btw.

Oh my gosh. This is exactly what I am going through. I stopped watching at about episode 100 about six months ago. I couldn't handle how slow every episode was. It really started to remind me of how excruciating DBZ was way back in the day. But I just started watching again over the last couple of days. I'm just going to power through it. I had this show at a 10, best shounen I had ever seen. Then the CA arc happened and had to downgrade to a 9. Man, those first couple of arcs were amazing.

Mar 14, 2018 4:42 AM

Jan 2018
I honestly liked the the arc, but the scene at the Castle where it took them literally 10 episodes to go through 30 seconds real time, kinda ruined it to me.
Mar 15, 2018 1:44 AM

Aug 2009
I agree they could have cut out about 10 episodes from that arc. But then it picked back up in the early 120's. And man, if I could give this show an 11 I would. That ending was the best. But towards to the end of the CA arc...that was brutal.

I didn't realize how much of journey watching this show actually was. Honestly, in hindsight, if the slow period in the CA arc wasn't there I don't know that I would appreciated the ending as much as I did.

Anywhoo, lesson learned. Almost checked out too soon. Hmmm, so what's the difference between this run and the 1999 version? Hehe.

Mar 15, 2018 1:28 PM

Dec 2015
Noobstar21 said:
so what's the difference between this run and the 1999 version? Hehe.

1999 Anime only adapts up until the first part of Yorknew City arc(when the Spiders fake their deaths after the Chrollo vs Zoldycks fight), there are OVAs for the rest of Yorknew and Greed Island arcs too, but that's as far as it goes.
1999 version is a bit slower(62 episodes for 1999 is basically 53 episodes in 2011) and there are small minor changes here and there, a few filler episodes(a few of which were written by Togashi himself and he wanted to include them in the manga so they're kinda canon).
Mar 15, 2018 1:34 PM

Feb 2018
For me personally the Chimera Ant arc was also one of the weaker arcs of the entire series while it does have its moments it's a little dragged out and the characters I care about were pushed into the background witch was a little annoying but the arc improves a lot to the end and the election arc after that is a really nice one aswell so you have those things to lot forward to.
Mar 15, 2018 3:11 PM

Aug 2009
Uchiha_Shadow said:
Noobstar21 said:
so what's the difference between this run and the 1999 version? Hehe.

1999 Anime only adapts up until the first part of Yorknew City arc(when the Spiders fake their deaths after the Chrollo vs Zoldycks fight), there are OVAs for the rest of Yorknew and Greed Island arcs too, but that's as far as it goes.
1999 version is a bit slower(62 episodes for 1999 is basically 53 episodes in 2011) and there are small minor changes here and there, a few filler episodes(a few of which were written by Togashi himself and he wanted to include them in the manga so they're kinda canon).

Thanks so much for the response. That was super helpful. Appreciate it. I'll check out 1999 at some point in the way distant future. ^^

Mar 22, 2018 9:31 PM

Dec 2010
nope it is my favorite arc of HXH 2011
Mar 26, 2018 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Maelstrom said:
Terence_Fletcher said:

Just stop. You sound like a fucking idiot lmao.
well maybe i am.
why are you concerned about me?

you rated naruto 10 and fairy tail 8. aand hxh 4. all i need to know for judging your taste for being shit.
Aug 27, 2018 8:49 AM

Apr 2016
I'm up to episode 121 of Hunter x Hunter, and so far the critically acclaimed Chimera Ant arc has been lackluster. Outside of a handful of moments (as opposed to entire episodes or at the very least, scenes), the show has failed to live up to the raw excitement and intriguing characterizations of the Hunter exam arc. Up until a few episodes ago, the villains were entirely flat, with only the King and Pouf having become remotely interesting, and nowhere near as much as Hisoka and Chrollo. The narration was somewhat interesting at first, but quickly became an overused gimmick and feels like it belongs to pad the episodes. It doesn't help that the show keeps reusing Hegemony of the Food Chain every ten minutes for every single fight in the arc thus far, it's overuse having led to an otherwise amazing song losing its luster. Yes, the
will probably be if nothing else, very good scenes to behold, but at this point it doesn't matter whether or not the rest of the arc is "where the show becomes amazing". Fifty episodes of just "okay" to "fine" doesn't make for a compelling arc, and the arc as a whole can't be redeemed by a handful of good moments.

Standout moments so far:

That's it.

It really doesn't help that the pacing here is atrocious. Previously, it felt as if the story progressed at least every other episode. You couldn't go one episode during the Hunter Exam arc without the character's building their character, deepening their relationships, making definitive progress towards their next goal, and discovering the next part of the plot. As of episode 121, we apparently just spent the last
This is reaching One Piece levels on annoying. What makes it even more frustrating is that episodes 110 through 121 could've been compressed into two episodes, three at the most. I have yet to have seen an actually bad episode of HxH, and I think I never will, but oh man do these latest episodes feel disappointingly hollow.
Sep 21, 2018 1:57 PM

Feb 2014
I didnt enjoy the CA arc either.

The atmosphere was depressing. I was disappointed at how Gon's character developed. From an objective standpoint, great writing. i just rather wouldnt have seen that. Made me kinda extremely hate him.

I didnt care about most of the characters in the arc.

Fights were dragged out af. In general, the pacing became 100x slower than in the arcs before. And the fast pacing had been one of my major + for HxH.

Not enough screentime for Killua. All my other favs (Illumi and Hisoka) were missing too.

I am glad I got through with it. Now, whenever I rewatch HxH, I skip most of the CA episodes. The whole arc was great writing for sure and very smart. Credits to the source material. Just didnt like the anime arc for the reasons I stated.
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Sep 24, 2018 7:22 PM

Jul 2013
While the story and especially the ending was great, the pacing was slow, like, REALLY slow. The arc should last 30-40 episodes at max, 60 is way too many. The build up is so long and tedious that when the climax eventually comes around, I'm too burned out to actually be excited.

Take for example, episode 108 is the team being ready to raid the palace. 109 is them waiting for the assigned time. Ok, surely we would have the pay off in 110. Oh wait, 110 is showing the ant's side of thing. Sure, whatever, 111 should be it then. Well, turns out 111 was 90% flashback and 10% of them actually raiding the palace. How much build up do you need to raid this damn palace?

...And then the fight went on for 20 episodes while suffering from the exact same problem as the build up.

Slow pacing would still be fine if the time was spent in a more meaningful way like exploring some minor topics, but most of the time it just felt like the writer just wanted to drag the climax out for as long as he possibly could. There were several moments where the characters just reiterated the information we already know, several episodes had 3-5 minutes of last episode recap, and several moments were spent explaining the details we don't need to know, or the simple information that anyone could've figured out on their own.

This anime as a whole could've been one of my favorites, but the pacing of this arc bothered me so much that I couldn't bring myself to give it a 10. It's unfortunate.
Sep 25, 2018 10:22 PM
Aug 2017
I like Chimera Ant arc, best of HxH arc...but many other better arcs out there for me
Oct 8, 2018 2:54 AM
Jan 2018
I stopped watxhing HxH because of this ark, too much narration in my opinion.
Oct 17, 2018 12:00 PM

Feb 2014
With Yorkshin City arc, this anime was on hiw way to be a masterpiece. The Greed Island arc was very interesting but nothing extraordinary. And then there was the Chimera Ant arc which was the main reason why I watched this because it received so much praise. But then, it was the thing I was really looking for in this anime that made me like it less. It promised so much but in the end it gave only a little, in fact it was pretty disappointing.
It could have been a 10 but I'm only giving it a 8 now
Oct 17, 2018 12:15 PM

Oct 2018
Ant soldiers look really trashy. Chirema arc and greed island arc made anime look dumbie. But the love story between Meruem and Komugi saves it all.

Holding on is believing that there's only a past. Letting go is knowing that there's a future.
Oct 17, 2018 12:32 PM

Feb 2018
Aside from Greed Island, I agree with the fact that this arc was my least favorite. The pacing and characters up until Gon and Co. actually came to the palace/fortress felt tedious and useless. I couldn't care for any of the characters and their deaths beforehand, which is a shame really.They have interesting themes, yes, but the characters and its pace were so tiresome that the themes were dragged down a lot. It was also the first time I sped up a show to x1.5 (specifically around the beginning of the arc)
I remember completing the Yorknew arc within the day, whereas Chimera took almost 7 months for me to complete, with personal hiatuses spanning between weeks. Towards the end however, I enjoyed myself with the arc, but I still felt slight burnout from the show as a whole as it dampened my opinion on it.
If you liked this arc, more power to you. I just couldn't enjoy it.
Nov 28, 2018 4:09 AM

Nov 2018
Greed Island was the worst arc in HxH outside of the dodgeball game. CA before they stormed the castle was so mundane, the pay off was good but it wasn't great overall. Nothing has surpassed the epicity of Yorknew arc and not sure anything will. It was HxH peak.
Nov 28, 2018 4:42 AM

Nov 2017
Yorknew arc is still the best hxh arc. CA arc only got good in the second half. I remembered the fans who like the arc so much took it way too seriously and that if you disliked it you have shit taste.
Nov 28, 2018 6:22 AM

Jan 2018
Same here.Too many shits happened in that arc,and I fucking hate the storyteller,I mean why?They fucking screwed the show,I'm pissedT^T
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ariamachi - Oct 13, 2012

273 by Nerdason »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pizzaholic - Oct 6, 2012

145 by Nerdason »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kaeji - Sep 29, 2012

144 by Nerdason »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 48 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Evanjs - Sep 22, 2012

130 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Evanjs - Sep 15, 2012

311 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.