Forum Settings
Forums

Why is anime comedy so terrible and repetitive?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 4, 2017 4:43 AM

Apr 2012
james501 said:
Plus, slapstick comedy works there because there is no "plot" whatsover.
There is no story, no characterss so to speak, no development so this kind of comedy works better in its small sketches.

When applied to something like Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto or any other show that tries to take itself seriously and tell a story it is cringy.

There's an important distinction to be made there. "X beats up Y" comedy doesn't work in anything remotely serious because it's an abusive relationship, and those aren't funny. But slapstick can also function through bad luck or misadventure, if it's not happening because another person willed it to happen, you don't have the same issue.
Oct 4, 2017 4:51 AM

Jul 2015
Japanese people actually love their puns, and anime is often filled with untranslatable kanji puns that give subbers headaches. Why would you expect them to make english puns? ^_-

Some jap sexual comedies are really cringe, but then there's American Pie, so I'm not too sure where you're coming from. Try City Hunter or Golden Boy
Oct 4, 2017 4:52 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"why do people enjoy things that i don't?"

"why doesn't another country have the same humor as mine?"

"why do all these similar anime have similar comedy?"

"why am i so difficult to make laugh?"

is essentially what you're asking
Oct 4, 2017 5:17 AM

Apr 2016
Pullman said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:
If you want American SJW crap, you watch cartoons. Japan doesn't give a fuck about putting satire and philosophy in their anime.

wtf kind of delusional generalization is that? The mindless anti-SJW hatred must have fried your brain :(.

Shit like this pisses me off sometimes(I'm totally calm now, don't worry:)) . He's essentially asking why are you guys enjoying stuff I can't? Also, he hasn't even watched any comedy anime to begin with.
Oct 4, 2017 5:23 AM

Feb 2010
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Pullman said:

wtf kind of delusional generalization is that? The mindless anti-SJW hatred must have fried your brain :(.

Shit like this pisses me off sometimes(I'm totally calm now, don't worry:)) . He's essentially asking why are you guys enjoying stuff I can't? Also, he hasn't even watched any comedy anime to begin with.

I mean, I also shit on OP earlier for the reasons you mentioned but that's no reason to randomly include /pol/ memes or similar toxicity in your reasoning. I just hate mindless anti SJW hatred. God knows there are enough tangible examples of being justified with complaints about SJW actions or articles, but when you just bring it up out of nowhere all the time it seems like ideological obsession of the exact same kind that real SJWs suffer from. That kind of stuff triggers me :>.

The political climate is divisive enough without people turning completely unrelated, individual issues into their ideological playgrounds.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 4, 2017 5:35 AM

Feb 2017
Different culture, different humour.

I'm from the UK, and I find some American comedies (like Bob's Burgers and Family Guy) really stupid, as gross out, shock factor humour just isn't my thing. Personally, I find British humour in general to be a lot more satirical (Have I Got News for You, Mock the Week) and sarcastic, with lots of self deprecation and deadpan delivery, which is what I prefer, probably because it's what I'm used to. I also enjoy surreal humour like Monty Python.

It's literally just what you're used to seeing. A lot of the jokes won't be as funny to Western people because of the culture discrepancies. Also, we're reading subtitles. Some of the humour will always be lost in translation. A lot of phrases and jokes in English wouldn't make sense at all it another language.

Also, repetitive comedy isn't an anime problem :P Most comedies are like that :')
ladamesansmerciOct 4, 2017 5:38 AM
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Oct 4, 2017 5:37 AM

Mar 2015
It's appealing to a different culture though I feel the same way.
Oct 4, 2017 5:44 AM
Aug 2013
Why is it so repetitive? Quite simple. The producers have found a formula and their abusing it. Just look at Gintama......

Why it is so terrible? Maybe its a culture thing. But I do get your point.
Oct 4, 2017 5:59 AM

Apr 2015
Let me try to help you out a bit in the quest for good anime comedy.

We both really liked Prison School, so I think you'll enjoy Shimoneta.

Keroro Gunsou/Sgt. Frog (especially the English dub) was one of my first anime and a great anime comedy with fun characters and lots of pop culture references. Very different from most anime comedy.

I've also heard good things about Osomatsu-san comparing it to Western animated comedy; it might be worth a shot. I know it's got plenty of pop culture references.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 4, 2017 6:12 AM

Sep 2017
logopolis said:
james501 said:
There is no story, no characterss so to speak, no development so this kind of comedy works better in its small sketches.

When applied to something like Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto or any other show that tries to take itself seriously and tell a story it is cringy.

There's an important distinction to be made there. "X beats up Y" comedy doesn't work in anything remotely serious because it's an abusive relationship, and those aren't funny. But slapstick can also function through bad luck or misadventure, if it's not happening because another person willed it to happen, you don't have the same issue.

That kinda depends.
It is funny in One Piece for example because the entire world and all the characters are over the top and quirky.
Or when it happens to a side character who was a genuine asshole instead of the Main character who is innocent.

But when it happens in Naruto ior FMAb it is obnoxious
Oct 4, 2017 6:41 AM

Sep 2017
Why do I see the same terrible shit posts every single day?
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 4, 2017 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
You can't talk about repetitive while family guy & bob's burgers are the same and mostly worst then the simpsons. Watch better anime if you want to watch better comedy lol.
Oct 4, 2017 7:26 AM
Aug 2016
nymi said:
Why do I see the same terrible shit posts every single day?

Because people love making threads such as: "Why is (something) (an adjective)" :)
Oct 4, 2017 7:29 AM

Mar 2016
mikey2218 said:
I mean seriously anime comedy sucks hard. It's all just an over abundance of fan service, mixed with some guy walking in on a girl changing, and then getting his ass kicked. I've never seen any good puns or heard any good pop culture references in anime comedy. The only anime comedies that actually made me laugh were prison school and one punch man (cause it was a good parody of overpowered anime characters). Prison School because it took some influence from western comedy (gross out gags, nudity, very in your face shock) and combined them with strong themes of friendship that made me pull for the main characters till the end. Sure, it had a lot of fan service but it was so over the top and disgusting I couldn't help but laugh. All the others I've seen just flat out suck. So why is anime comedy so terrible compared to excellent western animated comedy like south park, family guy, bob's burgers, futurama? i mean the former uses a lot of gross out humor but it also mocks and make you question some things going on in modern society such as subtle political satire, some interesting perspectives on philosophy, and good puns.

You need to be watching Gintama and Cromartie High. There's good anime comedy, you just gotta know where to look for it. :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2017 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
james501 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Slapstick works when the character getting the shit beaten out of them actually deserves it.
It's why Tom and Jerry is one of the most famous slapstick cartoons: a cat and mouse beat the shit out of each other, in ridiculous ways, for a legit reason, and simultaneously, both of them are assholes who kinda deserve it.

Why does slapstick comedy have to have no plot to work?
Oct 4, 2017 7:46 AM

Aug 2017
uhhmm.. Saiki Kusuo no Psi nan tho..
Oct 4, 2017 7:48 AM
Jul 2017
People, learn to recognize bait when someone here compares anime to 'excellent and superior' american cartoons. It's always the same arguments written the same way, for fu*k's sake.
Oct 4, 2017 7:53 AM

May 2016
mikey2218 said:
I mean seriously anime comedy sucks hard. It's all just an over abundance of fan service, mixed with some guy walking in on a girl changing, and then getting his ass kicked. I've never seen any good puns or heard any good pop culture references in anime comedy. The only anime comedies that actually made me laugh were prison school and one punch man (cause it was a good parody of overpowered anime characters). Prison School because it took some influence from western comedy (gross out gags, nudity, very in your face shock) and combined them with strong themes of friendship that made me pull for the main characters till the end. Sure, it had a lot of fan service but it was so over the top and disgusting I couldn't help but laugh. All the others I've seen just flat out suck. So why is anime comedy so terrible compared to excellent western animated comedy like south park, family guy, bob's burgers, futurama? i mean the former uses a lot of gross out humor but it also mocks and make you question some things going on in modern society such as subtle political satire, some interesting perspectives on philosophy, and good puns.

Well, I think what you're describing in bold is generic slice of life/ecchi/harem anime that is mass produced by anime studios in Japan. I too do not find those situations to be all that funny. With that being said, there are plenty of funny anime out there that do not incorporate this and/or execute this concept much better than you described. Some examples include:

-Prison School (the latter statement I made applies here)
-Welcome to the NHK (at times, certainly in a more hysterical type of laughter)
-Great Teacher Onizuka
-Samurai Champloo (mainly the situations Mugen gets himself in and how he reacts to them)
-Steins Gate (again, at times in a more hysterical type of laughter)
-DxD (probably not the best example, but I found it funny at times)
-Black Lagoon (actually laughed quite a lot here with Remy and her vulgarity...probably due to my tastes)

The list goes on. I know I am speaking to my own tastes, but I think there are plenty of anime, while not heavily considered to be in the comedy genre, that incorporate comedy into them that in turn generates a lot of laughter within the anime community. I suppose that's where I get the most of my laughs rather than with shows that try to force laughter down your throat (is this a pun at all?).
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
~ George Santayana

Oct 4, 2017 1:07 PM

May 2015
You're watching Ecchi, not comedy.

Try Gekkan Shoujo or Azumanga, then come back.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 4, 2017 3:08 PM

Sep 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
james501 said:

Why does slapstick comedy have to have no plot to work?

I specifically refer to the slapstick comedy of Tom and Jerry.
You cant pretend to have a plot that you take seriously and then put such antics on. The contrast is too big.
At least any anime that I see do it pretty much fails.

Oct 4, 2017 5:46 PM

Apr 2014
all media comedy is terrible and repetitive. disney channel, cartoon network, bbt and shows that are like that all recycle jokes from older series their producers created. If I had a penny for every time disney channel made a lame joke about something falling and queuing in a cat shrieking...
Oct 5, 2017 3:01 AM

May 2015
R3dPlaty said:
all media comedy is terrible and repetitive. disney channel, cartoon network, bbt and shows that are like that all recycle jokes from older series their producers created. If I had a penny for every time disney channel made a lame joke about something falling and queuing in a cat shrieking...

I'm not sure. Cartoon Network - at least in the 00's or so - had a golden age of unique jokes. Each show had its own style.

But yeah, pre-packaged comedy is often not as good as jokes that rise out of social interaction.
Oct 5, 2017 6:52 PM

Jul 2013
Maybe because Japan doesn't think of antics that are just for laughs (anime humor is absent in something with sophomoric, bizarre, subtle, unexpected, unpredictable yet sophisticated hilarity). I have yet to see most anime with mockery made with such masterful asininity that will make you laugh so painfully with tears rolling down your cheeks. Look at ecchi anime, it still suffers from laziness where much of the humour are just mindless, sexualized jokes with poor attempts at shocking the audience.
Oct 6, 2017 5:13 AM

Feb 2015
You must hate Aho Girl that much to create a thread about a genre that sums up altogether just in one series.

Oct 6, 2017 7:43 AM
Jul 2017
Except it isn't, it's just that you don't have any sense of humor or you would know how to laugh from anything.
Oct 6, 2017 11:59 AM

May 2015
Kurt_Irving said:
Maybe because Japan doesn't think of antics that are just for laughs (anime humor is absent in something with sophomoric, bizarre, subtle, unexpected, unpredictable yet sophisticated hilarity). I have yet to see most anime with mockery made with such masterful asininity that will make you laugh so painfully with tears rolling down your cheeks. Look at ecchi anime, it still suffers from laziness where much of the humour are just mindless, sexualized jokes with poor attempts at shocking the audience.

Ecchi isn't really any way to measure comedy. It takes a lighthearted tone because it has to. It rarely tries to have any actual jokes.
Oct 6, 2017 12:11 PM

Aug 2016
mikey2218 said:
It's all just an over abundance of fan service, mixed with some guy walking in on a girl changing, and then getting his ass kicked.

Holy over generalization batman.

I've never seen any good puns or heard any good pop culture references in anime comedy.

Pop culture references are one of the easiest ways to date an anime. Good comedy is timeless.

So why is anime comedy so terrible compared to excellent western animated comedy like south park, family guy, bob's burgers, futurama?

Family Guy is shit cut away gags. South Park used to be good but has went to shit with recent seasons. Futurama has some good episodes but is only okay overall. Haven't seen Bob's Burgers.

i mean the former uses a lot of gross out humor but it also mocks and make you question some things going on in modern society such as subtle political satire

Having Mr. Garisson dress and act like Trump is not subtle.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Oct 7, 2017 12:55 PM
May 2017
Different cultures, different humor. Its all subjective.
Oct 7, 2017 2:29 PM

Jul 2017
I was anxious to find out whether you like anime comedy or not. Thanks for letting us know, now I can sleep in peace.
May 31, 2022 6:50 PM

Dec 2019
But, Azumanga Daioh and Saiki Kusuo no Psi-Nan have no fan service.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 37 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

18 by Saiunknown »»
5 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

15 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

30 by Miyamotodex23 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.