Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2017 11:32 AM
Jul 2015
So after having watched 4 episodes, I'm left very confused. The anime kind of acts as if all their characters are completely fleshed out, even though there has barely been any proper character development, not even motivations aside from wanting the grail. I like nor dislike any of the characters, aside from a few obvious ones. The anime doesn't really give any reasons to cheer for a side/character (unless I somehow missed it).
I also feel like I've missed a big chunk of the story and development, even though you should be able to watch this anime as a stand alone.
Yet, a lot of people seem very engrossed in it, despite the lack of proper explanation, motivations and character development.
Am I missing something?

EDIT:
I realise the Fate series often made viewers wonder which side to cheer on or hate, but not in this way. Other installments gave reasons to do this. Previous installments gave reasons and character motivations, but they were always very double sided, making it hard to cheer on a particular side. F/A however, does not do that. It makes it hard to cheer on a side/character, but because of the lack of reasons and motivations
JakkoFourEyesJul 24, 2017 11:38 AM
Jul 24, 2017 11:39 AM

Apr 2016
Apo is not about servants or masters, it's story about one little guy between them.
Jul 24, 2017 11:47 AM

Mar 2016
Didn't some already like explicitly stated their motivations? Like wheelchair girl wanting to stand up again.
Jul 24, 2017 12:05 PM
Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
Apo is not about servants or masters, it's story about one little guy between them.

Right, so the story only just really started.

DragonSlayer_19 said:
Didn't some already like explicitly stated their motivations? Like wheelchair girl wanting to stand up again.

Yeah I suppose that's true. Forgot about that one.
Still it's not enough to make me care about her, since that was (as far as I can remember) all we really got from her. She seemed kind and all that, but that's it.

Maybe saying there were no motivations was not quite right, but I still stand by my point of character development.
Jul 24, 2017 6:07 PM

Oct 2014
did not get it by now?
the first episode showed the priorities of this show pretty quickly, where they spent the entire thing making lazy exposition, of the grail war rules and shoehorned fate imagenery everywhere
the charcaters in this are of little to no concern to whoever is writing the show, there is no reason to get invested in any of them
Jul 24, 2017 9:21 PM
Jul 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
did not get it by now?
the first episode showed the priorities of this show pretty quickly, where they spent the entire thing making lazy exposition, of the grail war rules and shoehorned fate imagenery everywhere
the charcaters in this are of little to no concern to whoever is writing the show, there is no reason to get invested in any of them

Right, okay. That's a shame.
Hopefully they'll give a reason to get invested in the story then, rather then characters.
Jul 25, 2017 11:16 AM

Nov 2014
Apocrypha is like a clickbait show.

You would think you are in for an epic 7. vs 7 Holy Grail war but later on the main focus is about a Mary sue bland MC.

Jul 25, 2017 1:26 PM

Jul 2007
Don't expect this to focus or develop characters.

Apocrypha is Ln-MC-kun's journey through filler. And fights.

Watch for fights. ITs among three worst nasuverse works for a reason.
Jul 28, 2017 1:02 AM

Jul 2007
Ehh, the fights are okay and good enough popcorn. Sieg and Karna fight was average-ish but Moedred fight against golems had better fight choreography than any mainline fate since Zero.
SabrinaK said:

And out of curiosity, the other two worst works being?

FGO and Extella ofc!
Jul 28, 2017 4:41 AM
Jul 2017
Fai said:

FGO and Extella ofc!

I havent play Extella so i cant say much about it

but i dont think FGO is the worst, i think its one of the best
especially singulary 6 and 7, i say these story is one of the best among fate series
The 8th singulary also give impact for player after all those harsh journey with roman
Jul 28, 2017 4:49 AM

Jul 2007
BandWidth said:
Fai said:

FGO and Extella ofc!

especially singulary 6 and 7, i say these story is one of the best among fate series
The 8th singulary also give impact for player after all those harsh journey with roman

The only singularity even close to overall nasuverse quality is 7th, because it at least resembled a coherent story closer to original nasuverse themes. And even then that's like, 7/10 at most when stuff like FSN, FHA, CCC, Tsukihime, KNK etc are practically between 9/10 and 10/10.

First Five singularities are literally barebones mobage stuff that in many ways exemplify the worst of what was done to Nasuverse and contradict the original ideas it had. Say Pandering five times really fast.
Sixth is just fanservice to all the zero "fans" who bitched how Saber is not "Kingly" enough. Not to mention the worst gameplay encounter design ever. Considering where it is set at I expected something cool and more in line with Zero and FSN stuff and all I got is anime as fuck fantasy tropes.
The "finale" singularity was some of the most brain-numbing juvenile bullshit possible. Asspull after Asspull, while at the same time shitting one of the most hyped things in old nasuverse.

The remnant singularities are just plain average. Not as bad as first 5 or final one. Nowhere near seventh.

And even Seventh's strength is overall premise, presentation and story. certainly not characters. The only remotely decently written character is Roman and even then that's average as all hell when compared to characters like Shirou, Illya, Shiki, Saber, Mordred, Shiki, FSN Archer, etc. And even with the things that are cool about it it is as far from Nasuverse as it can be and way into all chuuni high fantasy shit instead of mature contemporary fantasy stuff that most of nasuverse was grounded in.

And again that's 1 story arc out of entire mobile game. That is like saying Apocrypha is one of the best because Moedred's fight was cool and volume 1 is decent.

Extella is basically Rome singularity on steroids with all of the FGO flaws upped to eleven. I am pretty much one of the top Red Saber fans but Extella and Septem made me borderline hate her guts, the way she was mischaracterized there and the way "plot" was handled.

Right now it is pretty much:

FSN: UBW Route = CCC > FHA = Tsukihime > Zero = Prillya > KNK > FSF > FSN: HF Route> Fate/Extra > FSN: Fate Route = FGO:7thSingularity >>> Apocrypha >>>> Extella = FGO(rest)
AhenshihaelJul 28, 2017 5:09 AM
Jul 28, 2017 5:08 AM
Jul 2017
Fai said:
BandWidth said:

The only singularity even close to overall nasuverse quality is 7th, because it at least resembled a coherent story closer to original nasuverse themes. And even then that's like, 7/10 at most when stuff like FSN, FHA, CCC, Tsukihime, KNK etc are practically between 9/10 and 10/10.
First Five singularities are literally barebones mobage stuff that in many ways exemplify the worst of what was done to Nasuverse and contradict the original ideas it had.
Sixth is just fanservice to all the zero "fans" who bitched how Saber is not "Kingly" enough. Not to mention the worst gameplay encounter design ever.
The "finale" singularity was some of the most brain-numbing juvenile bullshit possible. Asspull after Asspull, while at the same time shitting one of the most hyped things in old nasuverse.

The remnant singularities are just plain average. Not as bad as first 5 or final one. Nowhere near seventh.

And again that's 1 story arc out of entire mobile game. That is like saying Apocrypha is one of the best because Moedred's fight was cool.

Extella is basically Rome singularity on steroids with all of the FGO flaws upped to eleven. I am pretty much one of the top Red Saber fans but Extella and Septem made me borderline hate her guts.

Well, cant disagree with that
7th is the best story in fgo
6th is not that bad, i enjoy mashu's growth in there
The first five singulary is average at most, but 3rd one is the worst compare to other singulary

8th is basically like Orochi warrior last war but i dont hate it
I think goetia's speech and Solomon sacrifice is the charm from this singulary

But yeah, if you combine all of those story....
FGO is not the best one
afterall its a gacha and waifu game :3
Jul 28, 2017 5:38 AM

Mar 2017
Fai said:

Right now it is pretty much:

FSN: UBW Route = CCC > FHA = Tsukihime > Zero = Prillya > KNK > FSF > FSN: HF Route> Fate/Extra > FSN: Fate Route = FGO:7thSingularity >>> Apocrypha >>>> Extella = FGO(rest)

Let me correct you.

FSF>>>Everything else.
Jul 28, 2017 7:21 PM

Apr 2014
GoA, Kara no kyoukai>FSF=FSN=FGO(roughly)=FECCC=FE=Tsukihime>Prillya>Extella>FZ>FP fragment>FA

FGO is a completely different beasts, with parts being the best Nasu ever written, and parts being the worst that Higashide and Sakurai ever written, and parts that Sakurai had best written. It is unquantifiable and left me with the most fun I had with TM in years, even if 50% of it was rage.

I place it as an equal to FSN, cause it have done a successful job of entertaining the audience. Some call it Waifu-bait, I say that FGO's success cannot be replicated by mere waifu-baiting, cause the market have already a lot of that, and its not like Nasu wasn't a fan of it in the first place (he is a romance author, nothing more).

Don't know why everyone is placing Narita so high, maybe because they are working on late versions of FSF. The cast of FSF is getting bloated, Narita is beginning to juggle more characters than he could handle, sure he is a good juggler, but he still have a limit on the number of characters he could handle (roughly durarara's number). Plus he is slow, working on one narrative, there are a lot off ways this could end badly (from getting axed to him running out of interest). Which was why Higashide and Gen both ended at around 4 or 5 vols, even if they are working on a smaller narrative.

As for FA, you are missing a lot of info, FA might be rage inducing, but the anime makes the novel appear like it is actually good. I am not sure Higashide really understand why he got flamed for years for writing FA. Essentially the anime is cutting out action and explanation to squeeze time for Sieg's romance, the single biggest failure of Higashide, and he doesn't seem to comprehend that it isn't something he could fix by gaving it more time, cause he is Higashide.
ap1001Jul 28, 2017 7:48 PM
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jul 29, 2017 2:40 AM

Mar 2017
ap1001 said:

Don't know why everyone is placing Narita so high, maybe because they are working on late versions of FSF. The cast of FSF is getting bloated, Narita is beginning to juggle more characters than he could handle, sure he is a good juggler, but he still have a limit on the number of characters he could handle (roughly durarara's number). Plus he is slow, working on one narrative, there are a lot off ways this could end badly (from getting axed to him running out of interest). Which was why Higashide and Gen both ended at around 4 or 5 vols, even if they are working on a smaller narrative.

Dunno, I think that Narita Ryohgo is really suitable for writing an ensemble cast like a Holy Grail War, 30 characters shouldn't be a problem for him that has written more characters on his other LN (Baccano!). Maybe I'm just biased though...
Jul 29, 2017 4:20 AM

Aug 2014
Fai said:

Uh you sure you've read everything listed there, friend?
Jul 29, 2017 4:38 AM

Apr 2014
ThirtyFour34 said:
ap1001 said:

Dunno, I think that Narita Ryohgo is really suitable for writing an ensemble cast like a Holy Grail War, 30 characters shouldn't be a problem for him that has written more characters on his other LN (Baccano!). Maybe I'm just biased though...

Hopefully he can stop adding new characters, but I am worried about his track record and personality. Narita writing style is like a shark, very kinetic, the more he writes the more "high" he gets, the more likely for him to get out of control, this worked great for Baccano, but for Durarara, he went overboard in the later vols and ended up with more characters then he could handle.

Plus the first thing Nasu told him when they started on FSF is for him to go wild, and Narita is certainly getting pretty wild right now.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jul 29, 2017 6:09 AM

Mar 2017
ap1001 said:

Hopefully he can stop adding new characters, but I am worried about his track record and personality. Narita writing style is like a shark, very kinetic, the more he writes the more "high" he gets, the more likely for him to get out of control, this worked great for Baccano, but for Durarara, he went overboard in the later vols and ended up with more characters then he could handle.

Plus the first thing Nasu told him when they started on FSF is for him to go wild, and Narita is certainly getting pretty wild right now.

Yeah, that's one of the reason why I love his LNs, his "crazy awesome" unpredictable style of writing and his shitons of characters.

I don't see any problem with Durarara, i think it's good. But I don't see Baccano or Durarara anywhere in your list.
Jul 29, 2017 6:19 AM

Aug 2014
fejita said:
Insertanamehere said:

Uh you sure you've read everything listed there, friend?
you should stop projecting your ignorance, fai knows nip

no doubt but actually doubt
Jul 29, 2017 9:24 AM

Apr 2014
ThirtyFour34 said:
ap1001 said:

Yeah, that's one of the reason why I love his LNs, his "crazy awesome" unpredictable style of writing and his shitons of characters.

I don't see any problem with Durarara, i think it's good. But I don't see Baccano or Durarara anywhere in your list.

Too lazy to update, usually I just put in a work when I want to write something about it or when its complete.
Aug 2, 2017 11:10 AM
Jan 2010
fejita said:

You probably can't though because you aren't in on the joke. That list is objectively wrong.
Aug 2, 2017 12:39 PM

Jan 2014
ThirtyFour34 said:
FSF>>>Everything else.

He hasn't read FSF. Just sayin'.

Neither has he read CCC, FGO or Extella actually. Even admitted it at one point.
AirConditionerAug 2, 2017 12:46 PM
Aug 3, 2017 11:52 AM

Jul 2007
SabrinaK said:
AirConditioner said:

He hasn't read FSF. Just sayin'.

Neither has he read CCC, FGO or Extella actually. Even admitted it at one point.

Is that why @Fai keeps saying anything with servants in it can't have something from Tsukihime - even though

Or was this actually an official statement by Nasu?

Also lol its nice to read the slander the usual suspects on ignore throw around. Whew. Some things never change. All that is lacking is a certain 6 letter nickname who keeps insulting anybody who dares to hate fate. Certain people seem to have made it their goal to slander and attack me at every step by spreading lies about me
AhenshihaelAug 3, 2017 12:05 PM
Aug 3, 2017 12:03 PM

Jan 2014
SabrinaK said:
Is that why @Fai keeps saying anything with servants in it can't have something from Tsukihime - even though

Not exactly too wrong. Dead Apostle Ancestors, as an organization, don't exist in worlds where Heroic Spirit summoning is possible. This is because Dead Apostles never become a prominent force in such worlds. But all of it's members still exist in Fate/ worlds. They just aren't an organization in those worlds. And they're slightly weaker than in worlds where vampires are more prominent (though still pretty strong).

Fate/ worlds can have plenty of stuff from Tsukihime. FSF does indeed have something (the thing you wrote under your spoiler) and two DAA members (though not DAA, but just simple DAs) appear in FSF as either mentions or just voices talking through a phone.

Also spoiler for Case Files

Fai didn't exactly lie about that. But for an example, pretty much half of the shit he wrote about FGO singularities above in the thread is bullshit he made up (like the whole thing about Camelot being pandering to Zero fans who wanted more of Saber as a King) and fed people false info.

This info comes from F/SF novel, btw. Narita's the one responsible for writing it, though Nasu does supervise it.
Aug 3, 2017 12:16 PM

Aug 2014
StardustReverie said:
fejita said:

You probably can't though because you aren't in on the joke. That list is objectively wrong.

It's you who wasn't in on his (fejitas) joke, actually.

He was being sarcastic/shitposting mate.

SabrinaK said:

Not in the exact phrasing you have there, but that the whole DAA=No Servant and vice versa thing comes from SF itself.

edit:oh nevermind AC already said that, whoops

Fai said:
Certain people seem to have made it their goal to slander and attack me at every step by spreading lies about me

No, you obstinate child, the world doesn't revolve around you, no one is out to """slander""" you, only to correct your mistaken assumptions you pass to others.
InsertanamehereAug 3, 2017 1:16 PM
Aug 3, 2017 1:19 PM

Jan 2014
SabrinaK said:
Gotcha. I misinterpreted and thought you were saying that none of the things introduced in Tsukihime could be in any canon Fate work, which is obviously not true.

Anyway, why is this such a bad change? Sure, it’d make for some interesting stories to have both servants and DAAs in the same world. But it still makes sense why they are incompatible; they represent such opposing themes. It’s pretty cool that there are alternate universes with different supernatural beings who exist depending on how strong humanity is at the time.

It's never really 'retconned' that Tsukihime happens before FSN anyway. Only thing that's different now is that Tsukihime events as we know them (from the VN) don't happen the same way in FSN world since presumably, DAAs not existing as an organization impacts Tsuki events.

I do agree that DAAs and Heroic Spirits representing mutually exclusive theme is a pretty cool thing, and as for the DA vs Servants thing, it's been implied Dead Apostles will be appearing in FGO in an interview so you'll probably get those anyway (though not DAA as an organization, likely).
Aug 3, 2017 2:14 PM

Jul 2007
SabrinaK said:

Anyway, why is this such a bad change? Sure, it’d make for some interesting stories to have both servants and DAAs in the same world. But it still makes sense why they are incompatible; they represent such opposing themes. It’s pretty cool that there are alternate universes with different supernatural beings who exist depending on how strong humanity is at the time.

Its pointless and unneeded change that separates cooler parts of nasuverse even further away from relevancy since literally everything is about servants now. Before there was a chance we might get to revisit the cool shit like DAAs and his Tsukihime 2 concepts and stuff, but now once it is so far removed from fateshit, why should Nasu bother? As he himself said - "he will just continue writing FGO now telling his stories there". We already were supposed to have Tsukihime remake (till it became some kind of frankenstein's monster filled with alterations and stuff to the point that nobody knows what the fuck it will be or if it will ever see the light of day), we were supposed to get other two parts of Mahoyo trilogy already. Instead there is Extella and FGO and Fate stuff continues printing money, so why care about the actually cool parts of the nasuverse he distanced away now? Then again final chapter of FGO already made it clear that nasu does not give a shit about Tsukihime or old nasuverse. Its constantly shat upon - hell with the prunning bullshit for all we know cool concepts like Notes or Tsuki No Sango might not even exist anymore.

Not to mention its "complexity for sake of complexity" and just makes things more convoluted than needed. Complexity for sake of complexity is NEVER good in narrative and Nasuverse so far avoided that and would usually have it's lore be coherent and reasonable. Then again he retconed order and coherence away now too with Holmes so anything goes I guess.

Not to mention its part of Nasu's new "Yay Humanity!" wank phase and I am extremely not a fan of all the humanity bullshit he introduced lately and how much of importance he put upon it. Nasuverse went from being a critique about human nature and insignificance of humanity to humanity literally being mary sue species the world revolves around. We ventured so far into high fantasy bullshit that its not even funny.

In a perfect world Nasu would not be spamming nasuverse with servant bs, deceiving people("Hi guyse here have this Fate Extra adaptation...oh did I mean Extra? No its Extella Prequel instead - pls enjoy the harem shit and misogyny!~") or retconing stuff or getting his buddies of questionable talent like Higashide or Sakurai to write content(gee thanks for utterly ruining Red Saber) , we would have Notes LN and Notes movies by Ufotable, proper three route adaptation of FSN with actually top notch production staff and writing quality, Tsukihime remake in style of Realta Nua(and maybe Tsukihime adaptation by SHAFT), announcement of Tsukihime 2 VN, complete mahoyo trilogy VNs and maybe if I am allowed to dream a good turn-based strategy game about grail war in style of Xcom.

Alas we are not in the perfect world.
AhenshihaelAug 3, 2017 3:00 PM
Aug 3, 2017 2:27 PM

Feb 2016
Fai is a typical tasteless virgin cuck who still has to go upstairs to ask his mother if he can buy quartz for FGO. (Which he thinks is shit, but plays it daily anyways LUL)

Ignore his shitposts.

Aug 3, 2017 2:42 PM

Jan 2014
>As he himself said - "he will just continue writing FGO now telling his stories there".
He never said that, but leave it to you to make up things that never happened and then tell everyone that it indeed did happen. I'll tell you, however, what Nasu DID say.

He actively expressed the desire to complete Tsukihime remake in the next few years exactly because it is his wish to include Tsukihime related stuff in FGO and for it to get more attention as the Fate/ side of Nasuverse does. Though I'm sure (in your mind) you know more about Nasu's stance on Tsukihime than Nasu himself, despite his words.

Also using ''Tsukihime remake never'' meme as an actual argument is a joke, because if you actually bothered to research things, you'd find out it's not that unnatural that VN authors would take this long to create a highly anticipated VN. SakuUta took around 11 years to complete. And Nasu is not currently working on any FGO stories, so no, he's not ''just writing FGO stories'' as you try to make people think he is.

Edit:

Fai
>editing in a link of an interview after seeing my post

Have you actually read that interview yourself? Never in the entire thing does Nasu say what you ''quoted'' him as. In fact, he says literally the things I wrote he said:

Nasu said:
Nasu: I can’t reveal anything concrete yet at the moment, but rest assured that we’ve been making progress on various titles within TYPE-MOON. I’d like to apologize about not having anything to say right now. But all I can say is that as long as FGO is in service, I just have to make the Tsukihime R collaboration a dream come true.

Nasu: That’s why I feel that producing good content for FGO and releasing Tsukihime R are the duties entrusted to me and all of TYPE-MOON. After all, I also want to see SSR Arcueid Brunestud happen!

source: https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/translation-4gamer-interview-with-kinoko-nasu-and-yosuke-shiokawa-on-fgo-march-2017-part-2/

Part 2 of the interview Fai linked
AirConditionerAug 3, 2017 3:45 PM
Aug 3, 2017 4:01 PM

Aug 2014
Fai said:
[We ventured so far into high fantasy bullshit that its not even funny.

Notes LN and Notes movies by Ufotable

Notes is very much high fantasy, though...?

Tsukihime remake in style of Realta Nua(and maybe Tsukihime adaptation by SHAFT)

Come now we both know you'd hate both of those no matter what they were like, seeing how anything new is bad in your eyes.

Nasuverse so far avoided that and would usually have it's lore be coherent and reasonable. Then again he retconed order and coherence away

Just because you can't follow it doesn't mean it's not any more or less coherent than it was before.

("Hi guyse here have this Fate Extra adaptation...oh did I mean Extra? No its Extella Prequel instead - pls enjoy the harem shit and misogyny!~")

genuinely curious as to what in your mind makes it misogyny
if its for the sole reason that the protagonist isn't hakunon, then conversely you are being misandrist by shitting on it because it has a male mc
InsertanamehereAug 4, 2017 7:33 AM
Aug 4, 2017 11:51 AM
Apr 2015
SabrinaK said:
fejita said:
Wrong, Hakunon is at least cute - Hakuno has literally nothing. This applies to Ritsuka too.

Ah well
*Making them a girl doesn’t magically improve anything within the narrative

Make them a loli, and suddenly BEST CHARACTER!!!, SHE SO CUTE OMG!
Aug 5, 2017 7:25 AM

Mar 2017
frenze12 said:

Make them a loli, and suddenly BEST CHARACTER!!!, SHE SO CUTE OMG!

Make them a waifu, and peoples would dedicate their laifu for her

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.