Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2010 8:19 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kinda boring. Although the first part of this episode shut down my response to the last one, lol.

Typical ending, and I still don't like that kid.
May 14, 2010 8:10 AM

Apr 2009
There were japs living in germany during the early Meiji period?
Oh well, the brat had it coming at least thats for sure.
Jul 2, 2010 7:54 PM

Mar 2009
I didn't like Yutaro either. Good thing it's the end of him already.
Jul 10, 2010 2:51 PM
Nov 2009
I enjoyed this episode. Yeah that kid was kind of annoying but I'm over it. I liked the ending there with Yahiko, everyones expressions were so funny XD

Jan 20, 2013 6:07 PM

May 2011
Wow, this particular arc was a bit of a disappointment compared to the manga.

- There was no army involvement (though it was a nice addition here)
- Raijuta's elite men get taken out by Kenshin before the final encounter
- Raijuta and Kenshin actually had a civil conversation and realized that they can never see eye-to-eye. Thus they planned to have a life-and-death duel.
- Kenshin's right arm becomes unusable for the fight after he gets in the way to protect Yutaro from the Izuna (but Yutaro's arm still gets injured)
- After Kenshin gets cut, he mocks Raijuta for celebrating over a scratch like this and tells him the horror's of being a murderer, something Raijuta couldn't ever comprehend as he's never killed anyone before.
- Kenshin proceeds to defeat Raijuta with one arm, while Sano and Yahiko bear witness, as to symbolize/send a message to the bed-ridden Yutaro who's back home with Megumi/Kaoru, who thinks he can no longer use a sword.
- Also, Yutaro's real dad (Ex-Samurai who became a rich merchant) was always present and he's the one who takes Yutaro to Germany to treat his arm.

The promise between Yahiko and Yutaro was the same however.

Well, I guess it's time for Saitou! Hell yes!
Kayaba-Jan 20, 2013 6:32 PM
May 8, 2013 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
-Shuda- said:

- Raijuta and Kenshin actually had a civil conversation and realized that they can never see eye-to-eye. Thus they planned to have a life-and-death duel.
- Kenshin's right arm becomes unusable for the fight after he gets in the way to protect Yutaro from the Izuna (but Yutaro's arm still gets injured)
- After Kenshin gets cut, he mocks Raijuta for celebrating over a scratch like this and tells him the horror's of being a murderer, something Raijuta couldn't ever comprehend as he's never killed anyone before.
- Kenshin proceeds to defeat Raijuta with one arm, while Sano and Yahiko bear witness, as to symbolize/send a message to the bed-ridden Yutaro who's back home with Megumi/Kaoru, who thinks he can no longer use a sword.
- Also, Yutaro's real dad (Ex-Samurai who became a rich merchant) was always present and he's the one who takes Yutaro to Germany to treat his arm.

Wow quite impressive differences, thanks for sharing :)

I didn't comment on this arc except this last ep of it, found it to be more fun to just watch. Only part I can remember liking is when Kenshin first fights against them right after Yutaro falls in the river. And a little bit of the last fight against Raijuta. All in all the arc was short but enjoyable.
May 26, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2013
-Shuda- said:

Most of these differences indeed would have made the anime better, however Yutaro's dad being deceased does help add a bit of a harrowing atmosphere to situation in the anime.

Yutaro could grow up to be quite an interesting swordsman. A cast on his right arm, whooping ass with the left!

Raijuta was extremely disappointing, however. I'm getting tired of these faceless "pure evil" villains which serve no real purpose. They're not even the kind which are so despicable, you're on the edge of your seat waiting for the sweet moment when Kenshin whoops up on them. They're just... there.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 3, 2014 5:39 AM

Apr 2014
I'm happy to see Yutaro get hit like that, he honestly annoyed the hell out of me.
Sep 11, 2014 8:04 PM

Apr 2014
Frenzyy said:
I'm happy to see Yutaro get hit like that, he honestly annoyed the hell out of me.
I agree, he was a stubborn kid. Hopefully he'll use that and fight Yahiko one day.
---------My Profile------------
Jun 14, 2015 3:52 PM

May 2015
I didn't like Yutaro either, but I found him more tolerable at the end, it would be cool to see him work hard and get strong(with his left arm), and NOT be ridiculously gullible and follow some scary-looking dude. :P If anything, he'll serve well as a a rival for Little Yahiko. owo Though I seriously hope his voice would change for the better when he gets older, lol.
Jul 12, 2015 10:42 AM

Aug 2013
I laughed at the dude that was about to kill himself. That's a super drastic reaction.

Kenshin was really cool in that episode, though the fight was a bit ridiculous, with Kenshin just jumping around x)
It was nice when he was side-dodging the blows.

I hope they don't pull an asspull on Yutaro arm. No way they can repair his arm at that era. Medecine clearly wasn't advanced enough.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 20, 2016 12:53 AM

May 2013
I really enjoyed the ending to this arc, Kenshin was a beast. I don't seem to dislike Yutaro as much as everyone, he was annoying, though. The guy's shocked reaction who was gonna kill himself was hilarious lol. Little Yahiko has really grown up recently, I like his rivalry with Yutaro - I hope we can receive some follow-up conclusion to their rivalry later.

Oct 16, 2016 2:44 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid ending of this short arc, looking forward to the next one!
Jan 5, 2017 3:28 AM

Sep 2016
Did Yutaro have IQ? Still tho he didn't deserve that.
BTW, Kaoru & Kenshin looked so beautiful in ED.
Apr 22, 2017 1:31 PM

Feb 2016
I laughed at the part(around 17 min) when they forgot to cut Kenshin from the cast and everyone talks about him in 3rd person while he just stands there(as opposed to lying in bed).
I guess that cut was animated by someone without the knowledge of the characters/plot or just a simple brainfart.
Shuda- said:

thanks for the insight, really interesting
SpaghettiSpikeApr 22, 2017 1:34 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 2, 2018 5:32 AM

Jul 2017
Shuda- said:

That does sound much better.

I thought this episode was a letdown. Kenshin yelling and getting everybody to stop fighting just seemed way ridiculous. Also, him stopping that one guy from attacking and basically causing him to get shot full of holes seemed way stupid. Raijuta was okay as a villain. In the dub he mispronounced one of his attacks lol ("Tobey" when it should be like "toe-bay"). The end was alright.
Aug 12, 2019 12:49 AM

Jul 2016
Yahiko is annoying
Mar 21, 2021 6:21 PM

Feb 2020
This arc was good. This anime is starting to get really good!!! Yutaro was a little annoying but hey, he's a spoiled llittle kid so I shouldn't expect much else. Didn't expect him to go off to Germany.
Oct 3, 2021 7:20 PM

Aug 2018
Nice arc tbh, probably the 2nd best so far after the oniwaban arc

Mar 26, 2022 11:26 AM

Feb 2017
Only reason Yutaro thinks of Raijuta as a father are those bushy-ass eyebrows hahaha.

Nov 28, 2022 4:04 PM

Dec 2018
the manga does sound better but i still enjoyed this arc. i never had a problem with yutaro, and also when the heck is sano going to get a sword?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 30 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Mar 6, 2010

36 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 30, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 24 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Mar 3, 2010

29 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 26, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 17 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 28, 2010

17 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 19, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 15 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 27, 2010

19 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 18, 4:30 PM

» *spoilers inside* shishio.....

Videogamecoper - Mar 13

2 by Nikolo123 »»
Mar 14, 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.