Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime fans usually like new anime than old anime?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 9, 2017 11:51 PM

Sep 2014
AniAmber said:
Because anime fans tend to be young.

/topic also anything older than 2005-7 is non exsistent to new comers until someone slaps them in the face with it
Jul 9, 2017 11:54 PM

Oct 2014
There are a few reasons I can think of:

The first is that most people initially watch newer shows when they begin watching anime. These people tend to inflate their ratings of these 'newer' shows because of their smaller anime sample size, newcomer bias as I like to call it. The people who watch classics will probably be more experienced viewers who give out lower ratings on average as they have more experience in the anime field.

The second is that anime scores deflate over time after the hype fades, just look at shows like Shinsekai Yori and Madoka. Likewise, I feel like shows such as BnHA will drop in score sooner or later.

The third is that some people dislike the classic way of story-telling, which does not have much 'fanservice' be it in cute girls, flashy art and animation or typical anime tropes. Perhaps this is because they are too accustomed to watching new anime containing such, leading back to my first point.

All these points may not be true and are just my speculations.
Jul 10, 2017 5:04 AM

Jan 2013
It's simply meme culture. People are afraid of straying from the road and taking the beaten path of older anime. Why would risk watching something bad, something your friends probably haven't watched, when you could be watching something from this season and be relevant in discussions?

Once you've watched anime for a couple years your tastes at least start to mature and you start branching out into specific topics/genres, drinking up even the older stuff, if you haven't already dropped anime for whatever reason.
Jul 10, 2017 5:08 AM

Jan 2015
Don't really see where's the problem in all this

Since when an anime that has come out after 2010 can't be good? Were you the one who decided it?
Jul 10, 2017 5:41 AM
May 2017
the art style and the animation, obviously. (thus why i don't play old visual novels)

Jul 10, 2017 5:46 AM

Feb 2015
Eight-Man said:
Because old anime looks like 4th grade drawings rendered at 360p and are animated like a fucking flipbook. I don't fuck with that shit.
2HandsRevy said:
the art style and the animation, obviously. (thus why i don't play old visual novels)

Pretty much this, with today anime which looks really awesome to go watching old anime is like going from today movies to black and white movies.
Jul 10, 2017 8:03 AM
Mar 2017
Well imo, at that time when those old animes were released, sites like this weren't there. Thus it didn't get overhyped (Like aot or sao for instance)and pretty much died right after it ended. The only primary way people would know and start of those animes would be through the circle of acquaintance. By the time the internet was there, new animes started to pile up and the old ones pretty much didn't appeal to the new viewers.

Graphic was the deciding factor. Fanservice especially involved so well lol
Jul 10, 2017 8:07 AM

Apr 2017
Usually people who watch newer series are new to anime and will rate those animes higher than older anime watchers who have a lot of viewing experience and will rate anime more critically a classic example is Naruto.While for many it is there gateway anime and was part of the big three it is disliked by many anime viewers after the years have gone by but it is still popular.So i believe that you should check its popularity instead of its rating since its the number of people who watch it that define how well it has been recieved

"Life and death have been in love,
For longer than we have words to describe,
Life sends countless gifts to death,
And death keeps them forever."

Jul 10, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2016
Eight-Man said:
Because old anime looks like 4th grade drawings rendered at 360p and are animated like a fucking flipbook. I don't fuck with that shit.

Eva, Gundam Wing, Turn A, G gundam, GITS,black lagoon and cowboy bebop still look fucking good. Plus hand drawn artwork is much preferred by a considerable amount of fans.

Well at least this said something about how new anime fans think about old anime.
Jul 10, 2017 8:19 AM
Apr 2015
I tend to think that younger gen doesn't look for old anime, why bother when there is always new ones coming out? Then watching an episode or two to find that the animation, graphic and even the music is a bit lackluster, which made them rate the old anime poorly

An good example I think, would be Pokemon, constantly being updated with fresher look and characters and items (Smartphones) that they could relate is far more better to younger gens than something like Digimon, which is almost the same concept.
Jul 10, 2017 8:19 AM

Feb 2013
Valeofruin said:
Detective1412 said:
Nah, visual quality is the biggest factor here.

Agreed with everyone that said this... If an animes gonna succeed without visual appeal it needs to excel in other categories. Also i feel like as new technology opens new markets competition is increasing, furthermore growing western audiences are starting to impact the medium.. Similar to how the growing chinese market is influencing the way hollywood films are produced. Basically some,of,the stories are becoming more relatable and multicultural in nature.
i wonder do recent anime feel more multicultural than before?
Jul 10, 2017 9:35 AM

Jul 2015
I can only answer this from my point of view, but newer anime tend to do stuff I like more and are way more visually appealing. Lots of the examples you mention for "old classics" are series that I didn't like at all.

It's also important to mention MAL related factors, like the hype/hate factor that is more present now due to the increasing numbers in the userbase (if a series is generally praised, people will likely raise the score as well, and the opposite if one anime just get shitted on). And don't forget about sequel inflation, older series tend to be one entry, so both people who liked it and the ones who didn't rate that anime, separate them and it would be higher since most people wouldn't go for the sequel if they didn't like the first.

Jul 10, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
I mean 08ms team still looks tons better than iron blooded orphans. Not to diss IBO because it was an OVA. But it just looks better despite being "old"
Jul 10, 2017 10:05 AM

Sep 2015
lunarxlunar said:
I mean 08ms team still looks tons better than iron blooded orphans. Not to diss IBO because it was an OVA. But it just looks better despite being "old"
A lot of recent TV anime also looks much better than IBO. Probably they'll make some corrections by the BR release, but the TV version of IBO looked like crap.
ModelCitizenJul 10, 2017 10:12 AM
Jul 10, 2017 10:10 AM

May 2014
Because new anime is new. It gets talked about, it gets publicity. It gets memes. The hype.

Old stuff has already been talked about. You see it with interest, not excitement.
Jul 10, 2017 10:16 AM

Feb 2010
Fel1xHD said:
Eight-Man said:
2HandsRevy said:

Pretty much this, with today anime which looks really awesome to go watching old anime is like going from today movies to black and white movies.

Old cel animation works are actually animated in higher resolution than modern, digital anime. It's only that the scanning technology from back then wasn't as good so they could only scan in low resolution. But if you re-scan the old drawings with modern technology you get true 1080p while almost all the 1080p modern anime are just upscaled from 720p because that's what digital anime is produced in nowadays.

Any old anime that got a remastered version like that will look better than modern anime in terms of resolution and details and everything. And there's a lot of remastered titles. Almost every classic like NGE or Lupin III or Utena or Space Cobra or Zeta Gundam or Urusei Yatsura is available in that quality.

And animation has more than anything to do with animation budget and how talented your animators are. Old Movies like Akira still look better than all modern Tv Series in terms of animation quality because high-priority movies just tend to have more budget and more talent working on them.

The only legit reason to differentiate between old and new in such a strict way might be the artstyle but imo that's a bit shallow and just a matter of whether you want to give it a try and get used to it or not. There's lots of variety in modern artstyles alone so if you can only enjoy one specific artstyle it'll always limit your range, be it old or new.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 10, 2017 10:34 AM

Apr 2016
Heldengeist said:
lunarxlunar said:
A lot of recent TV anime also looks much better than IBO. Probably they'll make some corrections by the BR release, but the TV version of IBO looked like crap.

Regardless, 08ms team looks better than a lot of modern anime. Not only it's produced in the best time period for hand drawn serial anime, also it's an OVA where more budget and time were put into it.
Jul 10, 2017 10:42 AM

Sep 2015
lunarxlunar said:
Regardless, 08ms team looks better than a lot of modern anime. Not only it's produced in the best time period for hand drawn serial anime, also it's an OVA where more budget and time were put into it.
Yes, but that only goes for a selected few OVAs and movies against recent TV anime, not old anime in general against recent anime in general.
Jul 10, 2017 11:25 AM
Sep 2007
Dunno, there is always something nice to see post 2010, and I like the way anime evolved, but I still find myself most comfortable from 1980 to 2005.
Jul 10, 2017 11:30 AM

Mar 2014
Personally, I watch anime from the 70s to present. I mostly watch newer anime these days though simply because its easier to find.

My guess is that most anime watchers are really young and want bright pretty colors along with more flashy and fluid animations. Its a shame that there are so many like that that will limit themselves to anime after the late 2000s. There are plenty of great anime before the 21st century

edit: I remember I used to rec HunterxHunter to people and they blew it off saying that it was too old... until the 2011 version came out and those same people wouldn't shut up about how amazing it is and I'm like
L0bstermanJul 10, 2017 11:42 AM
Jul 10, 2017 11:36 AM

Jul 2015
TheUnknownPC said:
Because a majority of anime fans are fucking idiots who hype up garbage and are scared of watching retro shows because the colors aren't pretty enough.

Wow, such an elitist comment. Haven't seen one in a while.
Jul 10, 2017 11:37 AM
Sep 2015
Prezzix said:
TheUnknownPC said:
Because a majority of anime fans are fucking idiots who hype up garbage and are scared of watching retro shows because the colors aren't pretty enough.

Wow, such an elitist comment. Haven't seen one in a while.

Elitism is retarded, I am merely stating the truth.
Jul 10, 2017 11:58 AM

Apr 2016
Heldengeist said:
lunarxlunar said:
Yes, but that only goes for a selected few OVAs and movies against recent TV anime, not old anime in general against recent anime in general.

I still stand by the point that anime in the 90s and 00s look really good. I already made a lot of examples. If anything it's just the different artstyle.
lunarxlunarJul 10, 2017 12:11 PM
Jul 10, 2017 12:01 PM

Apr 2016
L0bsterman said:
Personally, I watch anime from the 70s to present. I mostly watch newer anime these days though simply because its easier to find.

My guess is that most anime watchers are really young and want bright pretty colors along with more flashy and fluid animations. Its a shame that there are so many like that that will limit themselves to anime after the late 2000s. There are plenty of great anime before the 21st century

edit: I remember I used to rec HunterxHunter to people and they blew it off saying that it was too old... until the 2011 version came out and those same people wouldn't shut up about how amazing it is and I'm like

Hunter x Hunter 1999 actually still looks really good. I like the shading and details, and the unique aura design. The original design is like Ki from Dragon Ball, which is kinda generic. The new version looks more similar to manga artstyle though.
lunarxlunarJul 10, 2017 12:12 PM
Jul 10, 2017 12:16 PM
Sep 2015
YouniverSoul said:
Didn't read your post but to answer in short: Newer animes have better visual quality...which is a BIG factor for me and many others
Yeah no. Cel animation looks much better than
modern computer shit
Jul 10, 2017 12:19 PM

Sep 2015
lunarxlunar said:
I still stand by the point that anime in the 90s and 00s look really good. I already made a lot of examples. If anything it's just the artstyle.
And I never said they don't. I'm just questioning their superiority. I also question their inferiority if someone goes in generalizations about that too. The only reason I didn't because simply yours were the last comment in the topic today when I looked. For me old anime aesthetics are just different, not better or worse. I have preferences, but that's more of some certain anime or the works of some certain designer, not a time period.
Jul 10, 2017 2:57 PM
Jun 2015
Jepze said:
YouniverSoul said:
Didn't read your post but to answer in short: Newer animes have better visual quality...which is a BIG factor for me and many others
modern computer shit

I think you need some glasses then, buddy.
Jul 10, 2017 2:58 PM

Dec 2013
Animation quality. Especially for people who didn't grow up with older stuff. Akira was one of the first anime I ever saw, so I had no trouble with the animation of a Cowboy Bebop(which still looks great) or a Trigun. Both of those series are 10s on my list.

If you grew up and got into anime on Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Sword Art Online, etc. your going to be a bit more put off by older animation.

Most of the people on MAL are of a younger demographic. They didn't grow up with older animation, and it has much less personal value to them. They're probably less attached to those shows than people from the 90s are, but are more attached to what's coming out now.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 10, 2017 3:03 PM
Sep 2015
Eight-Man said:
Jepze said:
modern computer shit

Do you seriously think that animation is any better nowdays? Because it sure aint. Cel looks much better and is actually drawn with a hand. Backgrounds were better back then because nowdays they are just photoshop real photo to look like it is drawn
Jul 10, 2017 3:05 PM
Jun 2015
Jepze said:
Eight-Man said:

Do you seriously think that animation is any better nowdays? Because it sure aint. Cel looks much better and is actually drawn with a hand. Backgrounds were better back then because nowdays they are just photoshop real photo to look like it is drawn
Jepze said:
Eight-Man said:

Uh, yes animation looks better? It looks 5 times as good than it used to.

Go and take some old ass DBZ fight and compare it to the new movie that came out and tell me that the old one was better. You better say the new one is better because otherwise you are lying and you know it.

Of course, not every single newer anime looks better, but most of them damn well do.
Jul 10, 2017 3:10 PM
Sep 2015
Eight-Man said:
Jepze said:
Jepze said:

Go and take some old ass DBZ fight and compare it to the new movie that came out and tell me that the old one was better. You better say the new one is better because otherwise you are lying and you know it.

Of course, not every single newer anime looks better, but most of them damn well do.
Hah nope. They are cutting corners even more than in cel animation era and that isnt good thing. Art style too looked better because atleast characters had nosed and women actually looked like an actual women
Jul 10, 2017 3:13 PM
Jun 2015
Jepze said:
Eight-Man said:

Hah nope. They are cutting corners even more than in cel animation era and that isnt good thing. Art style too looked better because atleast characters had nosed and women actually looked like an actual women

Your talking about change in art styles, not in animation. Big difference there buddy. You can't fight the evolution of anime, ya dig?
NoLongerAWeebBroJul 10, 2017 3:17 PM
Jul 10, 2017 3:18 PM
Sep 2015
Eight-Man said:
Jepze said:

Your talking about change in art styles, not in animation. Big difference there buddy. You can't fight the evolution of anime, ya did?
I know and i hate it. I fucking hate 3D animation and modern animation looks so cheap. I just wish anime industry would crash and burn so i could leave this stupid medium and go mangaonly
Jul 10, 2017 3:23 PM

May 2013
Most people who watch anime are teens.
Most people here rate anime from 6 to 10.
Most people who watch anime, watch it for the "cute drawings", not for the plot or quality.
So It does not surprise me.
Jul 10, 2017 3:30 PM

Sep 2013
I can't speak for others, but for me, I have a hard time finding older anime. With the newer anime nowadays, you can find episodes anywhere from Crunchyroll to Funimation to even Netflix. So that might be a problem for others because maybe not a lot of people are aware of sites like Kissanime or are actually wary of using them. Also, to put it simply, new anime is new and people might want to watch newer things.
Jul 10, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2017
Because we mostly hate the older animation style as compared to the more beautiful animation of modern shows. That's really it.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Jul 10, 2017 3:45 PM
Jun 2015
Vlitz said:
Most people who watch anime are teens.
Most people here rate anime from 6 to 10.
Most people who watch anime, watch it for the "cute drawings", not for the plot or quality.
So It does not surprise me.

While I agree with the first two statements, the third one I believe is incorrect. Nobody I know watches anime just "cuz pretty colors" or anything like that. They watch it for story and action , same as anyone.

It's just in this day and age we are able to animate things at much higher quality, so they like things that are well, animated good. Old stuff may seem choppy or weak to them.
Jul 10, 2017 3:55 PM

Jun 2015

I think the new generations prefer the best animation before than the best story, that's the problem...

Honestly I prefer a story 10/10 before an animation 10/10

The young people need something to talk, and that is the new anime (and sometimes bullshit anime)

Jul 10, 2017 4:27 PM

Jul 2015
TheArchangels said:
Animation quality. Especially for people who didn't grow up with older stuff. Akira was one of the first anime I ever saw, so I had no trouble with the animation of a Cowboy Bebop(which still looks great) or a Trigun. Both of those series are 10s on my list.

If you grew up and got into anime on Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Sword Art Online, etc. your going to be a bit more put off by older animation.

Most of the people on MAL are of a younger demographic. They didn't grow up with older animation, and it has much less personal value to them. They're probably less attached to those shows than people from the 90s are, but are more attached to what's coming out now.

... I can't really make sense of what you're saying, unless you're mistaking animation and art style. Because Akira still has some of the very, very best animation ever (I'm not talking anime or TV shows but everything animated, ever), I can't see how it would prepare you for Trigun (atrocious animation) or how it'd look like shit for someone who's used to the modern shows you mentionned (mediocre at best compared to Akira)
Jul 10, 2017 5:51 PM
Nov 2015
Newcomers watch new stuff and the first couple of anime you watch will get high scores most of the time if it was a good experience. So 9/10 for new stuff is just normal, while people who really like older stuff may still only score it 7, which makes a huge difference in the overall average...
Jul 10, 2017 5:57 PM
May 2017
Mostly the art style probably. I will put off watching an anime if I don't like the art but I still very much enjoy some older ones. With Berserk I liked the art better in 1998 than in 2016
Jul 10, 2017 6:00 PM

Oct 2016
Younger anime watchers probably don't know any old anime. before I was on MAL the only old anime I knew was Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon
Jul 11, 2017 8:35 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:
TheArchangels said:

... I can't really make sense of what you're saying, unless you're mistaking animation and art style. Because Akira still has some of the very, very best animation ever (I'm not talking anime or TV shows but everything animated, ever), I can't see how it would prepare you for Trigun (atrocious animation) or how it'd look like shit for someone who's used to the modern shows you mentionned (mediocre at best compared to Akira)

I also didn't find a lot of difference in animation quality between eras. You could spot some subtle differences in motion, but the difference in art style and narrative are far more striking.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 11, 2017 6:58 PM

Aug 2012
Teens and young adults usually like new and trendy stuff. Like "Oh, if everyone is liking this new anime, I must watch, too!"... Of course, there are young ones that are very picky and like classics... And no, I´m not saying new anime are s*** overall, there are lots of good series.

Another important point... It isn´t really easy to find old anime. You rarely find them in torrent and stream sites, plus most teens can´t afford lots of dvds and blu-rays. Many adults, new to this universe, can´t buy them, too. So they stick mostly with the new series.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Jul 11, 2017 11:11 PM

Aug 2008
About MAL ratings, I always felt sequel get high score because those who doesn't like the first season would have avoided watching the sequel,thus only people liking the anime will watch it making the rating go high. However, MAL rating said the amount of people viewing/voting the anime also affect the rating.

https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime

So if sequel normally got less viewers or less people scoring than prequel as those who don't like season 1 wouldn't follow it, shouldn't the sequel rated lower?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 12, 2017 12:36 AM

Mar 2016
There are so many people who are new that simply prefer the look of new anime, since it's generally more pleasing and the animation is smooth. Story seems to be a bonus in these

ᴀ ʙ ɪ ᴅ
no i don't love you, and i never did
Jul 12, 2017 12:47 AM

Jul 2017
If you are talking about the generation from the 80s-90s time period, most likely they are influenced by the new generation here and tend to seek for more interesting, refreshing new anime for the young.

And if that's the other way around, the new generation obviously love new anime, it develops a certain new mood for them, plus it learns from the old ones and corrects flaws from them. It's just a great pile of...I don't know, new cliches?
Jul 12, 2017 12:56 AM

May 2015
Luna_The_Mist said:
Teens and young adults usually like new and trendy stuff. Like "Oh, if everyone is liking this new anime, I must watch, too!"... Of course, there are young ones that are very picky and like classics... And no, I´m not saying new anime are s*** overall, there are lots of good series.

Another important point... It isn´t really easy to find old anime. You rarely find them in torrent and stream sites, plus most teens can´t afford lots of dvds and blu-rays. Many adults, new to this universe, can´t buy them, too. So they stick mostly with the new series.

I don't think it's an attempt to be trendy. It's just that's what people talk about, and people gravitate to what everyone else is talking about.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 12, 2017 7:23 AM

Jul 2017
I'd prefer some old animes. Most newer animes tend to have better potraits, styles that suit up nowadays people's taste + have better graphics, visuals and voice actings
Jul 12, 2017 9:29 PM
May 2017
One factor could be hype. Newer anime often get hyped more, than older completed anime that long since finished. Hype can lead to inflated scores too since everyone is caught up in all the good parts of new anime while overlooking any possible flaws. The reverse can apply to older shows.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - Yesterday

65 by traed »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - 4 hours ago

4 by SwordBreaker36 »»
6 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

71 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - 12 minutes ago

1 by Eleben »»
8 minutes ago

» Describe an anime with zoomer language

ZakuF_ - May 1

14 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.