Forum Settings
Forums
New
Gun Control: Yay or Nay?
Jun 7, 2017 11:25 AM

May 2014
I'm sure this has been discussed on MAL in the past but since I'm not one of those ppl who like to revive old threads, I'm making my own. Personally I think gun control should be a thing. Yes our founding fathers decided at first that guns should be allowed in the 2nd Amendment, but the Constitution isn't supposed to stay the same forever. Even the first 10 Amendments weren't supposed to stay the same forever. Additionally they decided that in a time when the police didn't exist. If a murderer was in your house, you were expected to protect yourself because at the time there was no such thing as the police. Additionally I've met people from outside of the States who live in countries where gun control was in effect (i.e Austria), and they were doing just fine. I don't really think in this day and age that the average civilian ought to be in possession of guns, except if they like have a license for it What's your opinion tho?
Click my sig
Jun 7, 2017 11:33 AM

Feb 2008
Depends entirely on the country.

For example, the US is a mess crime-wise and filled with illegal gun trade, so keeping it out of the hands of regular people would not do much to keep it away from criminals. Self-defence is a completely valid reason for Americans to own a weapon.

But then there's Japan, where violent crime is little and almost nobody (including criminals) owns a firearm. Self-defence isn't valid in this case.
Jun 7, 2017 11:35 AM

May 2012
Veronin said:
Depends entirely on the country.

For example, the US is a mess crime-wise and filled with illegal gun trade, so keeping it out of the hands of regular people would not do much to keep it away from criminals. Self-defence is a completely valid reason for Americans to own a weapon.

But then there's Japan, where violent crime is little and almost nobody (including criminals) owns a firearm. Self-defence isn't valid in this case.

Pretty much this. It depends on the culture mostly.
Jun 7, 2017 11:36 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah I'm pro gun control, and so should be any rational person.
Remember everyone, gun control does not mean "ban all guns" it just means placing limitations on who can buy/sell/own guns.
Guns are extremely dangerous, it would be incredibly foolish to not regulate them.
Jun 7, 2017 11:41 AM

Apr 2017
America is in too deep when it comes to guns, it's tied in with the culture... any law banning them like Australia would get laughed at till the cows come home.
Dedicated criminals would just get guns from all the unregistered ones floating around anyways and the 'casual' criminals will just use big ass knives which are just as deadly when used for the 'casual' level crimes. Pretty much lean towards the nay side in america's case...

guns are so cool, its a shame they murder innocent people :(
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jun 7, 2017 11:42 AM

Mar 2013
idc if europeans want to give up their guns and let their countries self destruct, but its never happening in america
Jun 7, 2017 11:42 AM

Jun 2015
Even if you make it illegal in a country, rural areas will still have guns.

But anyway, yeah, general consensus of culture mattering in the decision is my decisions, yep.

Jun 7, 2017 11:56 AM

Jun 2016
Four words: SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

I'm one of the most pro-gun rights people you'll meet. I own 2 guns right now, one of them being a semi-auto Zastava M70/AKM. I think the right to be armed is a universal right that should apply to all countries and cultures, but that's just my personal opinion as someone who grew up in semi-rural America. Blaming guns on crime is just like blaming violent video games or "explicit" music on crime, when we should be blaming poverty and lack of proper mental health care.
Jun 7, 2017 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
rawrX3pounces said:

I live in a rural area. There are no guns here.

Jun 7, 2017 12:25 PM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
rawrX3pounces said:

Country?

I meant taking from a place that already had an established gun culture.
Gun culture. Hum, bad phrasing on my end.

Jun 7, 2017 12:26 PM

Jun 2014
rawrX3pounces said:
Seiya said:

Country?

I'm from Canada. I've never seen a handgun or automatic in my life, because they are illegal here. Not even criminals have them where I live.

Jun 7, 2017 12:57 PM
May 2010
i'd rather have a well armed populace than a well armed state, too bad most people who buy guns in this country are retarded bootlickers who'd pull a gun on a mcdonald's cashier but shoot themselves if a cop told them to
Jun 7, 2017 1:00 PM

Jun 2017
Guns literally have to be ceased from distribution, and bring back swords and other medieval weaponry. Then it's all fair game.
Jun 7, 2017 1:04 PM
Mar 2017
I'm pro background checks, but what types of guns that should be legal I think should be decide on a state-by-state basis.
Except no state should outright ban guns in my opinion.
Jun 7, 2017 1:09 PM

Feb 2015
Mhhh...

The 2nd amendment, which is citizens have the right to bear guns, has been very loosely done since the past few years... :/

Well, I'm not really keen about that... :/

I'd rather see a dude dying from a fist fight than a gun wound... :/
Jun 7, 2017 1:09 PM

Aug 2007
I'd be all for it, I don't care for guns and I don't understand the obsession with firearms here in the United States. I think there are better and more positive hobbies and interests to have than fawning over a weapon made to blow someone or something's brains out.

Even if it will not magically get rid of violent gun crime that is so rampant here, there desperately needs to be new measures taken when it comes to background checks. People on terrorist watchlists can still buy firearms, and it's apparent that it's pathetically easy to obtain a gun based on how many school shootings we have on a daily basis. And whenever a Columbine, Virginia Tech or Sandy Hook-tier tragedy happens, nothing ever changes, even if it sparks mass debate across the country. It's gotten to a point where we're complacent about these incidents.

It's appalling that we even let events like those occur.

Jun 7, 2017 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
We Europeans don't get the Amis. Gun owners are big exceptions and not the rule.
Jun 7, 2017 1:18 PM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
rawrX3pounces said:
Country?

I'm from Canada. I've never seen a handgun or automatic in my life, because they are illegal here. Not even criminals have them where I live.
Not all are illegal in Canada, though...?

Jun 7, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2011
You should need a license to own a gun. And even then I don't think self-defence is a valid reason. Hunting and target shooting, sure.
Jun 7, 2017 1:44 PM

Jun 2014
rawrX3pounces said:
Seiya said:

The only "Fully legal" guns in Canada are hunting rifles, like a 12-Gauge, .22, 303, etc.

But yet, you never hear of someone murdering another with one of these guns where I live. Murders themselves are very rare where I live.

Jun 7, 2017 1:47 PM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
rawrX3pounces said:

The only "Fully legal" guns in Canada are hunting rifles, like a 12-Gauge, .22, 303, etc.

But yet, you never hear of someone murdering another with one of these guns where I live. Murders themselves are very rare where I live.
Personal experience is totes the best sample size.

Jun 7, 2017 1:55 PM
Mar 2011
if one is ok with a westen nation havinnf china level internet censorship then yes gun cotral is ok
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 7, 2017 2:07 PM

Jan 2009
gun advocates logic goes like if everyone have guns then everyone is more safe
while statistics shows that USA have the highest gun violence/deaths in the first world http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/12/07/458815891/the-u-s-is-a-world-leader-in-gun-deaths and guns killed more than terrorism http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604
Jun 7, 2017 3:27 PM

Jul 2013
rawrX3pounces said:
Seiya said:

well, where i live, there are quite a few murders per year, but mostly in the 'bad' neighborhood and by knife/ shooting at night. There's more death caused by drunk driving.
Compared to America, Canada has statistically less public shootings though, so I'm on the side of gun control
Jun 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Jun 2015
SkyFullOfStars said:
rawrX3pounces said:

well, where i live, there are quite a few murders per year, but mostly in the 'bad' neighborhood and by knife/ shooting at night. There's more death caused by drunk driving.
Compared to America, Canada has statistically less public shootings though, so I'm on the side of gun control
Yeah, I'm aware of the stats.
But that's kind of irrelevant to compare america with anything.

Jun 7, 2017 3:31 PM
Mar 2011
rawrX3pounces said:
SkyFullOfStars said:

Yeah, I'm aware of the stats.
But that's kind of irrelevant to compare america with anything.

yes yiu can compare the us to other place in every thing just ajust ofr population size and there you go
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

More topics from this board

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child?

FruitPunchBaka - May 9

43 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago

» I bought a pack of Cigarettes.

scarydragon - Mar 29

24 by DesuMaiden »»
16 minutes ago

» Twitter is officially X.com now

deg - Yesterday

44 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

» Weirdest movie

spaceslut - Sep 18, 2022

43 by DesuMaiden »»
19 minutes ago

» Have you ever touched and/or kept any foreign currency(ies)? ( 1 2 )

Kiryotsu - Apr 29

51 by DesuMaiden »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.